Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Your ticking along nicely TJ, solid training.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Tom Joad wrote: »
    16 Mile LSR @ 7:57 pace

Plan called for a 15 mile LSR @ 7:57 pace. Spent yesterday nursing the mother of all hangovers and eating hangover food :o so wasn't sure if this would be a struggle. Brought two gels with me and money to stop for water and headed off this morning. Took me a while to get into my stride. Took two gels, one at 5 mile and the second at 10 and didn't bother stopping for water. Last two miles were tough as they had fairly major hills but delighted to get this done and was exactly on pace @ average of 7:57 pace even though I wasn't really paying much heed to pace.

Splits were - 7:55, 7:43, 7:50, 7:52, 8:06, 8:18 (taking gel), 7:55, 7:56, 7:55, 8:02, 8:14 (gel), 7:57, 7:45, 7:40, 7:50, 8:10 (mother of all hills :))

Weekly total: 40.5 miles

You got a marathon in mind TJ? Or did I miss something. That's some pace you're keeping on those long runs. How do you find the recovery from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Cleanman wrote: »
    You got a marathon in mind TJ? Or did I miss something. That's some pace you're keeping on those long runs. How do you find the recovery from them?

Cheers Cleanman - definitely no marathon's on the horizon - I'm allergic to them :p. That's the longest LSR for Clontarf half at the end of the month. Actually finding the pace ok and the recovery is fine. I usually have a protein shake after them and a lot of stretching and feel grand - even managed a 5 mile walk in the woods with the family this afternoon :eek:. Will sleep like a baby tonight too..

5 mile easy

Cheated a bit on this one as plan called for a 6 mile @ 7:57 pace. Have a mental day today so knew I had to get out early to get this done. But when alarm went off, heard the rain bouncing off the window and snoozed it - got up a few minutes later but by the time I had arsed about had only 45 mins to run so done 5 mile instead off 6. Didn't worry about the pace as it was a horrible morning and was still a wee bit tired from Sunday's LSR. Finished it in 8:06 pace so happy enough with that. :)

6 Mile easy

Plan called for 6 mile @ 7:57 pace. Again wasn't paying any heed to the pace as was enjoying the run on a lovely night - bit surprised when I checked the avge pace when I finished and seen it was 7:41 - bit too quick but felt good and strong so not overly bothered.

• Advertisement

8 Mile with 4 @ Tempo (6:48 pace)

Normally try and do these sessions at lunchtime or after breakfast but with a day in Dublin at meetings and being called on to play ball tomorrow, I had to do this tonight. Done two miles @ 8:05 pace and then 4 miles tempo - splits were 6:34, 6:39, 6:43, 6:55 (had to cross two busy roads), followed by 2 miles @ 8:15 pace.

Happy enough with 4 tempo miles even if they were a wee bit too fast.

Only 2 and a bit weeks until half marathon and need to think about a strategy and time to aim for...

8 Mile with 4 @ Tempo (6:48 pace)

Normally try and do these sessions at lunchtime or after breakfast but with a day in Dublin at meetings and being called on to play ball tomorrow, I had to do this tonight. Done two miles @ 8:05 pace and then 4 miles tempo - splits were 6:34, 6:39, 6:43, 6:55 (had to cross two busy roads), followed by 2 miles @ 8:15 pace.

Happy enough with 4 tempo miles even if they were a wee bit too fast.

Only 2 and a bit weeks until half marathon and need to think about a strategy and time to aim for...

Great session TJ. I got back to my first session last night and only managed 16 mins @ 6:50 pace before bailing and did just over 6 miles in total. So I can appreciate that doing circa 27 mins is serious going!

Cleanman wrote: »
    Great session TJ. I got back to my first session last night and only managed 16 mins @ 6:50 pace before bailing and did just over 6 miles in total. So I can appreciate that doing circa 27 mins is serious going!

Cheers - think you are being a bit hard on yourself - 16 mins at that pace considering the layoff you had is seriously good going. But it can be frustrating after coming back after a long lay-off and not being able to achieve what you could before - important thing is to not go mad and build it back up slowly (speaking from bitter experience) and not risk injury.

6 Mile easy:

Played a game of 5 a side yesterday for the first time in a few weeks and boy did I feel it this morning - stiff and sore all over!! Took it fairly handy and kept the pace slow enough and finished the 6 mile in 8:06 average pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I know it's pot calling kettle and all that, but if this was a recovery run from footie, then it wasn't slow enough!

I'm becoming a fan of really slow recovery runs.

• Advertisement

I know it's pot calling kettle and all that, but if this was a recovery run from footie, then it wasn't slow enough!

I'm becoming a fan of really slow recovery runs.

Yeah I know - I just can't seem to run at a slow pace these days - I'm looking at that as being a good thing but wait until you see my Long Slow Run today :eek:

13 Mile LSR:

Last long run off this plan before Clontarf. Plan called for this to be @ 7:57 pace and given that I played ball on Friday and have been running too quick on the easy runs was determined to keep this nice and slow. - Didn't go to plan at all :rolleyes:

Was a very frosty morning here and was a freezing fog first thing but as Mrs Joad was going kayaking for the afternoon I was limited when I could fit this in so ended up going out early and footpaths were still a bit slippery - great I thought at least it will slow me down:).

However, after a half mile in the display on the garmin was unreadable as the glass was completely fogged up :mad:. It didn't clear for the whole run so ended up running on feel and run felt comfortable until last 2 mile when I was into a couple of steep hills. Was a wee bit stiff still from football on Friday but overall was a good run.

It wasn't until this evening when the garmin demisted that I realised that I done the 13 mile in 7:50 pace :eek::eek: and splits were all over the place:

7:58, 7:35, 7:39, 7:45; 7:57, 8:05, 7:59; 8:14; 7:53, 7:45, 7:40, 7:44

On the one hand I'm delighted that I could hold that pace for 13 mile and it felt reasonably comfortable but on the other I'm worried that I'm an injury waiting to happen.

Weekly total: 38 Miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

You are in flying form TJ, all bodes well for the race.

just take it handy this week with easy running - remember it takes 6-10 days for 'most' running adaptations to become effective, so any fast stuff this week wont really help you. (exceptions are strides/short bursts).

Get to the race well rested.

What time you looking to do?

Am going to be more disciplined about sticking to pace this week and to go even easier than the plan says on the easy runs.

Am still playing around and trying to decide time/ race strategy but will finalise over the next day or two.

My thinking at the minute is that Athlone time (1:34:40) is soft but it did reflect where I was at the time and the training I had done, or lack thereof :o. This training cycle couldn't have gone better (maybe plan is too soft!!) and even added on distance to the LSR's and have no problem achieving the paces in the plans - speedwork is also fairly comfortable. But the ultimate goal of sub 1:30 is still a long way off Athlone time and might be too much off a jump this time.

So I have two choices:

1. Pick a time of 1:32ish and run the race to consistently achieve this pace but maybe plan a quicker last 3 miles if I have it in me, or.

2. Go agressively out for 1:30 and stick with the pacers for as long as possible and see where that gets me. Always in the back off my head this is a bonus race in that Bohermeen in March is the real sub 1:30 attempt so If the wheels come off so what!!.

Decisions, decisions...

So I have two choices:

1. Pick a time of 1:32ish and run the race to consistently achieve this pace but maybe plan a quicker last 3 miles if I have it in me, or.

2. Go agressively out for 1:30 and stick with the pacers for as long as possible and see where that gets me. Always in the back off my head this is a bonus race in that Bohermeen in March is the real sub 1:30 attempt so If the wheels come off so what!!.

Decisions, decisions...

I kinda did plans both 1 & 2 for the Rock n Roll 1/2 (Plan 1, going into it with a soft PB of 1.35) and Athlone 1/2 (plan 2). Both came in @ 1.31, but, I reckon had I stuck to plan 1 for Athlone 1/2, and run my own race, not with the pace group, I would have faired better. Sticking the the pace group for the first 6 miles or so in Athlone ruined it for me, I ran out of gas.

I would go with Plan 1 if I was in your shoes. Good luck with it whatever you decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Am going to be more disciplined about sticking to pace this week and to go even easier than the plan says on the easy runs.

Am still playing around and trying to decide time/ race strategy but will finalise over the next day or two.

My thinking at the minute is that Athlone time (1:34:40) is soft but it did reflect where I was at the time and the training I had done, or lack thereof :o. This training cycle couldn't have gone better (maybe plan is too soft!!) and even added on distance to the LSR's and have no problem achieving the paces in the plans - speedwork is also fairly comfortable. But the ultimate goal of sub 1:30 is still a long way off Athlone time and might be too much off a jump this time.

So I have two choices:

Decisions, decisions...

Is this the Clontarf Half your doing? What plan are you following?

Is this the Clontarf Half your doing? What plan are you following?

Yep clontarf is the one - plan below is what I have been following with some tweaking around the edges of the LSR's.

http://rw.runnersworld.com/challenge.../break-130.pdf

statss wrote: »
    I kinda did plans both 1 & 2 for the Rock n Roll 1/2 (Plan 1, going into it with a soft PB of 1.35) and Athlone 1/2 (plan 2). Both came in @ 1.31, but, I reckon had I stuck to plan 1 for Athlone 1/2, and run my own race, not with the pace group, I would have faired better. Sticking the the pace group for the first 6 miles or so in Athlone ruined it for me, I ran out of gas.

I would go with Plan 1 if I was in your shoes. Good luck with it whatever you decide.

Thanks Statss - good to get feedback - more food for thought :). Have also decided that I will treat myself to a sports massage early next week to give the legs the maximum chance - plus no more 5 a-side until race is over..

Yep clontarf is the one - plan below is what I have been following with some tweaking around the edges of the LSR's.

http://rw.runnersworld.com/challenge.../break-130.pdf

Unless you get a calm day there, you could be in trouble with the winds. Used to trained there at lunch time and it can be hell if windy. So maybe wait till the day and then make a call.

• Advertisement

Unless you get a calm day there, you could be in trouble with the winds. Used to trained there at lunch time and it can be hell if windy. So maybe wait till the day and then make a call.

That's very true - could be a very simple decision on the morning of the race depending on the weather.

Club Session:

Hadn't been at a club session in a few weeks so had planned to go tonight. Got there nice and early so I could do plenty of warm-up. Done a good bit of core stuff and then joined the sprints group to make up numbers - plan was for 4 x 200mtrs aiming for 32 secs for each interval. Only problem with that is the track (loosest possible meaning of track) is badly rutted in places and when wet it can be hard to know where the ruts are so can be treacherous. Anyway first 200 was in 35.1, followed by 34.2 and 34.5. Pulled up on first corner off the 4th as hip was started to get very sore and decided there was nothing to be gained by keeping going.

Done another few warm down laps and will do plenty off foam rolling tonight - rest day tomorrow too.

Overall happy enough with the paces for the 200mtrs - they were tough but was well able for them and could have pinched another few seconds on a better surface.

Total: 5 miles

6 Mile easy

Was completely overdressed for this - wore the winter gear down to hat and heavy top and within a mile wished I had just worn my shorts and normal top - it definitely looked colder than it was and was boiling after a mile.:o

Anyhow it was a nice comfortable 6 mile in average pace of 8:06.

(Splits - 8:15, 8:01, 8:04, 8:04, 8:19, 7:38)

Have 2 sessions down in the plan for this week but only plan to do one as I had a club session on Monday night. Choice is between 6 mile with 3 @HMP or 5 x 1mile. Am leaning towards the 6 with 3 as I think this will benefit me more. Will do the session tomorrow or Friday depending on time - am in Dublin all day tomorrow and Friday :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

6 Mile easy

Was completely overdressed for this - wore the winter gear down to hat and heavy top and within a mile wished I had just worn my shorts and normal top - it definitely looked colder than it was and was boiling after a mile.:o

Anyhow it was a nice comfortable 6 mile in average pace of 8:06.

(Splits - 8:15, 8:01, 8:04, 8:04, 8:19, 7:38)

Have 2 sessions down in the plan for this week but only plan to do one as I had a club session on Monday night. Choice is between 6 mile with 3 @HMP or 5 x 1mile. Am leaning towards the 6 with 3 as I think this will benefit me more. Will do the session tomorrow or Friday depending on time - am in Dublin all day tomorrow and Friday :mad:.

I'd do the 6 with 3 as well ;)

6 Mile with 3 @HMP

Really didn't want to do this after a long day and not getting out until 8pm but couldn't think off a good reason to put it off so just got out and done it.

1.5 mile warm up @ 8:06 pace, 3 miles @ HMP (6:48, 6:42, 6:52), 1.5 miles @ 8:03 pace.

Delighted to have done the session tonight and also delighted with the HMP miles particularly as I picked a quite hilly course.. :)

6 Mile @ 7:49 pace

Took a rest day yesterday and got out this morning for a 6 mile run. Was a lovely day for a run and enjoyed this even if it was still a bit on the quick side :rolleyes:.

Splits were 7:46; 7:41; 7:54; 7:50,7:59, 7:44

Will do 12 mile LSR tomorrow.

12 mile LSR @ 7:52 pace

Last LSR before Clontarf. Was a horrible morning for it with cold rain and wind but just had to get on with it. Visibility was poor so picked a safe but horrible boring route that I haven't used in ages and 2 off last 3 miles were up a long drag :(

Overall apart from weather and boredom was a good comfortable run and felt strong and easy.

Splits were: 7:41; 7:41, 7:49; 7:51; 7:57; 7:55; 8:03; 7:55; 7:57; 8:03; 8:03; 7:36.

Weekly total: 35 miles

next week will be a nice easy week in preparation for Clontarf on Saturday :)

4 Mile easy

Been away with work for last two days so running wasn't an option until this evening - not too worried seeing as it is a taper week..

Finally got out this evening for a nice easy 4 mile run at 7:52 pace. Wasn't as cold out as I expected which was a bonus :D

6 x 800mtrs @ 3:10 pace

Was only 2 degrees when I went down to the track this morning so needed noincentive to hurry this along.

Done 1 mile quickish warm-up @ 8:10 pace

then straight into the intervals which were as follows

1: 2:59 - bit on the quick side

2: 3:04 - better

3: 3:05

4: 3:02

5: 3:06

6: 3:04

all with 400mtr recovery jog

Finished with 0.5 mile cooldown for a total of 6 mile

Overall very happy with this and felt nice and comfortable.

Will do a nice easy run tomorrow and then ready for Clontarf on Saturday :)

Edit - No idea what happened with the font

• Advertisement

4 mile easy @ 9:05 pace

Last run before Clontarf and got out early into the freezing cold and fog - it was minus 5 according to the car :eek::eek:. Rather than risking icy footpaths done 16 laps of the football pitch beside me - mind numbingly boring but needs must. Pace was nice and slow too!!

Am pretty much decided that unless weather conditions are unfavourable I am going to line up behind the 1:30 pacers and see how long I can stick with them for. Few reasons behind this:

1. I am crap at judging pace - especially in a race!
    2. Training has gone really well and I am in flying form and touch wood not a niggle or injury in sight.
    3. This is a bonus attempt at sub 1:30 as bohermeen was going to be the main event.

Sounds great in theory but will see how it goes tomorrow!!

6 x 800mtrs @ 3:10 pace

Was only 2 degrees when I went down to the track this morning so needed noincentive to hurry this along.

Done 1 mile quickish warm-up @ 8:10 pace

then straight into the intervals which were as follows

1: 2:59 - bit on the quick side

2: 3:04 - better

3: 3:05

4: 3:02

5: 3:06

6: 3:04

all with 400mtr recovery jog

Finished with 0.5 mile cooldown for a total of 6 mile

Overall very happy with this and felt nice and comfortable.

Will do a nice easy run tomorrow and then ready for Clontarf on Saturday :)

Edit - No idea what happened with the font

Best of luck with the race this weekend. The winds look light so go for plan A. Think you have wind with you in the first half.

Best of luck with Clontarf TJ. 90mins is definitely attainable. I think you have a fairly sensible approach given that this is a bonus attempt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Was working till 7am this morning in Clontarf, not a breath of wind there through the night. I'll give the updated forecast wind wise when leaving at 7am again tomorrow morning for you. Best of luck with it.

Best of luck tomorrow TJ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

4 mile easy @ 9:05 pace

Last run before Clontarf and got out early into the freezing cold and fog - it was minus 5 according to the car :eek::eek:. Rather than risking icy footpaths done 16 laps of the football pitch beside me - mind numbingly boring but needs must. Pace was nice and slow too!!

Am pretty much decided that unless weather conditions are unfavourable I am going to line up behind the 1:30 pacers and see how long I can stick with them for. Few reasons behind this:

1. I am crap at judging pace - especially in a race!
    2. Training has gone really well and I am in flying form and touch wood not a niggle or injury in sight.
    3. This is a bonus attempt at sub 1:30 as bohermeen was going to be the main event.

Sounds great in theory but will see how it goes tomorrow!!

See you tomorrow. Don't worry as long as you aren't to too tall we can break the wind (me and quirky are the vertically challenge pacing group :D)

Just looking through the log and your recent training shows sub 90 will be no bother to you

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    See you tomorrow. Don't worry as long as you aren't to too tall we can break the wind (me and quirky are the vertically challenge pacing group :D)

Just looking through the log and your recent training shows sub 90 will be no bother to you

Cheers ecoli - hope you are right :) - Will see you there!

Give it socks in Clontarf, best of luck and hope it goes well! You're training has been very solid. When it gets tough, speed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Best of luck in the morning. I'll probably see you around the 1:30 group

Not a zepher of wind out this morning in Clontarf, cold alright but perfect running weather otherwise. Checked sand on the beach to, nice and firm underfoot.

I'm not running it today, but that's a 'top man' thing to do. Good man Tang!

• Advertisement

Howd ya go?

blockic wrote: »
    Howd ya go?

I was looking for a "tom joad"on the results but couldn't find him....:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

statss wrote: »
    I was looking for a "tom joad"on the results but couldn't find him....:rolleyes::D

DaveMcMahon is so much easier to find ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    DaveMcMahon is so much easier to find ;)

And how did he do?

tang1 wrote: »
    Not a zepher of wind out this morning in Clontarf, cold alright but perfect running weather otherwise. Checked sand on the beach to, nice and firm underfoot.

Really appreciate that Tang. Checked in here before I left home this morning at 7am but didn't have time to post but it gave me a real lift and helped me plan my strategy on the way up. :D

Clontarf HM - 1:30:13 :rolleyes::eek::D:D

Headed into this with a 1:34:40 PB from Athlone in September which I always knew was a soft PB. Had a great plan this time to follow (Cheers Statss) and had the best training cycle since I started actually following plans so was feeling confident - still felt sub 1:30 might be a stretch too far but decided during the week to go for it (as long as the weather played ball).

Was up at six am to a beautiful morning in Cavan and had my porridge before a quick check in here to see Tang's update which gave me a real boost. Decided definitively on the way up to just go for sub 1:30 and have no regrets as Bohermeen was the real target. Headed off for Clontarf and was an uneventful journey until I got lost in East Wall :o and pulled in to check my map of Dublin to realise it predated the port tunnel and was no use:o:o Thankfully had loads of time to spare and made Clontarf at 8:45 and got parking right beside the start.

Done a bit of a warm-up, then made 3 or 4 wardrobe changes - thankfully was parked close!! - eventually settled on gloves and long sleeved top. Headed down to the start around 9:45 and met Dave McMahon - he had a similar strategy so we headed off together a bit back from the pacers.

First few miles were just settling in and were nice and comfortable - great to have someone to chat to too. Was nice and calm headed out for the beach and the sand while a bit soft getting down posed no problem - the sand on the beach was nice and hard - as promised and any wind was behind us. 5 mile came in no time and was a PB for me at 5 mile. 10k came in 42:30 and was delighted with that. Took a gel at 5 mile and felt great. By mile 6 was feeling great - even remarked on it to Dave (he may have wanted to kill me for that :)) and we were just behind ecoli so bang on target :)

Splits for first 6 mile were - 6:51; 6:45, 6:48; 6:52; 6:52; 6:50

Sharp turn at half-way nearly caught me by surprise but no real issues and felt good again as the miles ticked by. Lost my focus and concentration a bit when taking the second gel and nearly missed the water stop so had to work a bit harder than I should have to get back behind ecoli's group heading down onto the beach - the going was definitely a lot softer this time and we were heading into the wind. We were now getting strung out and it was getting tough. Dave said he was feeling it too but we tried to catch up with ecolis group and managed to get back by mile 10. Knew mile 10 was a bit slower but reckon had enough banked to be ok.

Miles 7-10 splits 6:52; 6:52; 6:54, 7:00

Coming off the beach was tough and tried to catch up with ecoli's group but the harder I worked the further away they were getting. Had a bit of a chat with myself coming up to the wooden bridge and decided to start hunting people down. Started with a girl in a Drogheda top and reeled her in and then caught another two or three before turning onto the promenade. Really started worked hard here and now focussed on catching ecoli which I managed with about 1.5 miles to go. Knew it was touch and go to get sub 1:30 and would have to push on a bit but it wasn't there and just concentrated on getting home as close to sub 1:30 as possible.

Clock said 1:30:15 as I crossed the line so I knew that I had missed the sub 1:30 but was delighted with a 4 min 27 sec PB :D:D

Miles 11-13 splits: 7:08; 6:47, 6:44; 0:16

Had a quick chat with ecoli who done a superb job pacing (never got close enough to Dr. Quirky before or after to say hello) and Dave who got a great PB, enjoyed the hot soup and headed off to meet the family in Blanchardstown. Had to babysit for the day to make up for my abandoning ship so early on a Saturday :D:D

Got text to confirm time was 1:30:13 - am delighted with that as I know that with the right plan I will knock a bit off that in Bohermeen. Now am going to get stuck into a six pack of Guinness that has my name on it :D.

Have a 5k tomorrow in the parish which Mrs Joad is running so might do it as a recovery run with the buggy if I can move by then..

Really appreciate that Tang. Checked in here before I left home this morning at 7am but didn't have time to post but it gave me a real lift and helped me plan my strategy on the way up. :D

No bother anytime, well done on the great PB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Congrats on the PB

I think a few people were the same coming back on the beach had to up my own effort a good bit too despite the pace being slower and seeing your and the DD girl as well I knew it was probably going to be a bit frustrating upping the effort and still finding it hard to stay with the group (it really got strung out over that last half mile coming back onto the promenade)

The sub 1.30 is there for the taken man and will be an afterthought come Bohermeen

Well done again today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done TJ; you'd take 1-2 minutes off that on a Road race with no sand. Looks like you must have finished right beside Marthastew...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Nice work :D Well done

• Advertisement
Advertisement