Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Decided to take a rest day today as still not feeling 100%. Leaves total mileage for January at 177.2 miles which is easily biggest mileage I've ever done so happy with that. One race in January and missed out on target which was a wee bit disappointing but overall I'm happy that I'm on track for Bohermeen and sub 90 attempt.

Plan for February is similar mileage and have one planned race (Templeport 8k) - it would be nice to hit sub 32 but I believe it's a hilly route and one for a PB so not overly bothered about setting target for it or specifically training for it. Bohermeen is "main thing" :)

Month|2013|2014
    January|57|177.2
    February|78|
    March|87.45|
    April|125.7|
    May|117|
    June|105|
    July|125.5|
    August|125.5|
    September|112.5|
    October|160.5|
    November|148|
    December|144.5|
    Total|1386.65|177.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

will you be doing any HMP reps or anything like that, as prep for Bohermeen?

statss wrote: »
    will you be doing any HMP reps or anything like that?

I'm still following the runners world break 1:30 plan with slight adaptions - mainly increasing LSR's and have 1 session with HMP miles each week from now on in. (basically between 3 and 5 HMP miles) and one other interval session.

It is something that I've been wondering about - is it wise to continue with the same plan or is this counterproductive in terms of seeing a progression? That's why I've tinkered around the edges with it.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    I'm still following the runners world break 1:30 plan with slight adaptions - mainly increasing LSR's and have 1 session with HMP miles each week from now on in. (basically between 3 and 5 HMP miles) and one other interval session.

It is something that I've been wondering about - is it wise to continue with the same plan or is this counterproductive in terms of seeing a progression? That's why I've tinkered around the edges with it.

I was looking at that specific plan again the other day...the paces to me seem a little hot for all the non HMP sessions...do you actually find 7.57 - 8.02 easy?

The HMP sessions are obviously race specific so perfect for Bohermeen, I'm no authority to judge but I'm not sure if the additional interval session would be needed but I suppose that's a biased view as it goes against what I'm doing myself.

All in all you were pretty close in Clontarf so if you feel it's working (which it looks like it is) I'd keep with it for now and not tinker with it too much.

I was looking at that specific plan again the other day...the paces to me seem a little hot for all the non HMP sessions...do you actually find 7.57 - 8.02 easy?

Last time I followed the plan they felt ok and weren't an issue and I got used to running at that pace and wasn't an issue. This time around I'm taking the approach that if I hit them, great but am not aiming for them - in fact I've been mainly running by feel and the pace is what it is - can range from 8:30ish pace to my 15mile @7:45 a few weeks back.

The HMP sessions are obviously race specific so perfect for Bohermeen, I'm no authority to judge but I'm not sure if the additional interval session would be needed but I suppose that's a biased view as it goes against what I'm doing myself.

Sorry should have been clearer about that - if the plan has another session will do it, if not won't do it. Main thing I want to do is getting better at doing HMP sessions so while plan doesn't have one every week will do one and hopefully will get better at judging pace.

All in all you were pretty close in Clontarf so if you feel it's working (which it looks like it is) I'd keep with it for now and not tinker with it too much.

Would agree with that - the only criticism I have off the plan is that I think its a bit light on the LSR's. (only one beyond race distance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great increase in mileage over last January TJ :)

7 mile @ 7:35 average pace:

Was dithering about this all day and what I would do when/if I eventually got out. Cavan game scheduled for this evening was postponed till tomorrow so meant I could get out this evening when conditions were meant to be calmer. When I got out it was a perfect evening for running. Wasn't sure what to do so done a kind off progression run starting at 8:00 1st mile and getting progressively quicker with last mile @ 7:15 pace.

happy with this and legs felt the benefit of the days rest yesterday and first decent nights sleep in a week. :)

16 mile LSR @ 7:43

When I started this it was a beautiful spring morning with the sun shining down on me and no wind - think this is why I got carried away and started off a wee bit on the fast side. A new by-pass has opened near me and was driving on it last week and thought it would be a good route for a run so tried it out today. By 5 mile a gale was blowing against me so took an exit off the by-pass and followed more familiar territory and alternated between wind into my face and behind me. Last two miles were up a fairly steep long drag up to a flyover and nearly stopped but knuckled down and kept the legs moving.

Splits were: 7:14; 7:21; 7:30; 7:42; 7:29; 7:42; 7:52; 7:58; 7:44; 7:49; 8:04; 7:44; 7:59; 7:51; 7:42; 7:49

Overall delighted with this run and felt I had more in the tank.

Weekly total: 42 miles

6 mile with 4 @ HMP:

My old nemesis of a session :o.

Done 1 mile warm-up @ 7:50 pace and then into the HMP miles. First mile was 6:48 and was into the wind so happy with that. Second mile felt very tough but not tough enough to want to stop - I also knew it was mostly uphill with a long drag with the wind in my face so was content to go at HM effort so pleasantly surprised when the garmin beeped the mile @ 6:49. Crossed the road for the turn back and now was going net downhill with the wind at my back and it suddenly felt easy. Mile 3 sailed by @ 6:36 and mile 4 @ 6:39. Delighted with last two miles in particular as pace and effort felt nice and controlled and for the first time doing this session wasn't hanging on for dear life over last mile.

Done 1 mile cool-down @ 7:45 pace and then home for a quick shower before heading back to work. :)

5 mile easy @ 8:40 pace

nice and slow paced 5 mile - wasn't looking at the watch and just went by feel. Right hip is a wee bit tight so will foam roll it over the next few nights and keep an eye on it. Managed to get out and miss the worst of the rain here which was a bonus :)

• Advertisement

6 mile easy @ 8:35 pace

Done a good bit of foam rolling of the hip before heading out and thankfully it seemed to do the trick - still a slight tightness but nothing major. Will keep on top of the foam rolling.

Was nice easy pace and a cracking night for running :)

8 mile with 8x800mtrs @5k pace

Was a wee bit too frosty this morning to do this on the track so decided to get out at lunch time - glad I did as while a bit windy it was lovely and sunny out.

Done 1 mile warm-up and a bit of stretching @ 8:15 pace (the warm-up not the stretching!)

Intervals were a wee bit all over the place as met a lad I play ball with who was doing his own session so there was a bit of racing and chatting going on at different times :).

Intervals were as follows with 400mts slow jog 2 mins aside from between rep 5 and 6 when i stopped for an extra 2 min chat..

1: 2:52
    2: 2:56
    3: 2:58
    4: 3:01
    5: 3:04
    6: 2:54
    7: 3:02
    8: 2:58

Was aiming for 3:10 for the 800's so was a fair bit quicker but concentration was not 100% for this but overall happy with the session and had no trouble with it and could easily have done 2-3 more reps.

Done 1 mile cool-down @ 8:30 pace and then home for quick shower, sneaky breakfast roll :eek: (in my defence lad in front of me at the deli was getting one and put bad thoughts in my mind :o:o) and then back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

What is your 5k pb TJ? You have a serious time around the corner based on those splits!

Cleanman wrote: »
    What is your 5k pb TJ? You have a serious time around the corner based on those splits!

5k pb is 19:18 last October so reckon I could (with a bit of specific 5k work dip under 19 this year). Plan is to focus on 5k and 10k after Bohermeen so hopefully by summer will be under 19 for 5k and under 40 for 10k..

5k pb is 19:18 last October so reckon I could (with a bit of specific 5k work dip under 19 this year). Plan is to focus on 5k and 10k after Bohermeen so hopefully by summer will be under 19 for 5k and under 40 for 10k..

Based on that session, you must surely be in under 19min form. No bother. Keep trashing out those kinda sessions and you'll be amazed by how much you can bring down that (soft) pb!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Have to agree with Cleanman, that's a great session TJ .

TbL

15 mile LSR @ 8:20 pace

Had to move this forward a day as Mrs Joad has triathlon stuff on in the morning when I normally do my LSR so tried to fit this in today. Finally decided to head out after the rugby - last minute decision and wasn't as well prepared as I normally am - definitely hadn't drank enough water today and probably needed more fuel in the system too. Had run out of my normal gels so had to take the untried gel I got in the Raheny goody bag.

I wanted to take this fairly handy as last weeks LSR, while a nice confidence booster, left me fatigued for a few days afterwards and was too fast @ 7:43 pace and no both risking an injury by being silly.

Was fighting against the darkness too so not the most exciting route but first few miles felt good even if the wind was nasty and bitterly cold. Took my gel after 6 miles and nearly instantly realised it didn't really agree with me - I really could have done with water too but don't take water with me unless its hot and had no change for the shop. After the gel this turned into a real slog, and stomach was in ribbons which shows in the pace but was just happy to get this done (especially as I had plenty of shortcuts back to the car which tempted me but resisted the temptation :)) and means I can have an extra beer tonight :D

Splits were:
    7:55, 8:01; 8:08; 8:00; 8:10: 8:05; 8:10; 8:28; 8:28; 8:29; 8:34; 8:46; 8:35; 8:49; 8:25

Just to record last weeks total was 40 miles as didn't run Sunday as my Achilles was sore and didn't want to risk it.

6 mile with 5x 400ish in 80 seconds.

After lots of icing yesterday evening Achilles felt good so went down to club session tonight. Got there early with idea of doing a few laps on my own and if Achilles felt ok would do session and thankfully it felt fine.

Session tonight consisted of running hard for 80 seconds and marking where finished and tried to reach the same point on the remaining 4. Went out ahead on first rep and went too fast - reckon done about 430metres or so. Rest were all consistently about 420metres or so.

Happy with this tough session and Achilles felt fine - was a wee bit sore after to the touch so will ice it again tonight and take tomorrow off again.

Have a 8k race on Saturday but will play it by ear - might not race it even there is any doubt with Achilles as priority is to get last 15 mile LSR before Bohermeen done Sunday/Monday. Might be a low mileage week this but will err on side of caution..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Tom - just a quick tip on icing the achilles, apologies if you know this already: rather than icing in the traditional way, pinpoint the specific area and ice massage slowly with an ice cube. Hold the ice cube in a face cloth or something similar, and finish the ice massage when cube has melted.

This is not medical advice for a specific injury, it's merely a tip on icing techniques.

Stazza wrote: »
    Tom - just a quick tip on icing the achilles, apologies if you know this already: rather than icing in the traditional way, pinpoint the specific area and ice massage slowly with an ice cube. Hold the ice cube in a face cloth or something similar, and finish the ice massage when cube has melted.

This is not medical advice for a specific injury, it's merely a tip on icing techniques.

Thanks Stazza - really appreciate that - never heard that before but will try it.

• Advertisement

6 Mile easy:

Don't run for 2 days and you find your log on page 4 :eek:! Shows how busy everyone else has been

Took last two days off as worried about the Achilles plus was in Dublin with work till late last night.

Done a lot of icing the leg since the weekend and finally got out this evening. Cracking evening to run especially with the very bright full moon.

Had a few worrying twinges for the first mile and thought about turning back but decided to keep going and thankfully after a mile everything settled down. Didn't push too hard but 6 mile felt good and average pace was 8:39.

Planned 8k race for Saturday was cancelled today due to weather which forces me to be sensible over the weekend and stick to HM plan. :)

6 Mile easy:

Another easy run to keep the legs ticking over and trying to be sensible until am 100% injury has cleared up. Leg felt a lot better doing this but was slightly sore today when moving around so will keep the icing up. Pace was 8:26 and was nice and consistent.

Will see how the leg feels tomorrow and if it feels ok will do a few HMP mile and 15 mile LSR on Sunday..

No running over weekend as Achilles too store - continuing to ice it and will get to the physio as soon as he can fit me in. Hopefully Bohermeen is not off the table but not going to risk a longer lay off....:mad:

Weekly total: 18 miles

TJ,

That's frustrating, hopefully it's nothing serious and you'll be back ASAP

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Good move to take a few days off and get booked in with a physio. Sometimes a few days and icing will settle things down. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Bad news. Hope it clears up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Wise move to rest up, hopefully the rest will let it heal itself

Injury Update!!

Got an appointment with Physio for this morning so decided no running, even though Achilles felt fine, until he had a look. Just as well I had an appointment as yesterday morning my back locked up when I was lifting my 15 month old and spent yesterday in a chair in agony - was only mildly better this morning so thankfully had already booked in with physio. It was a back injury which pretty much ended my GAA career so was fairly anxious about it but at least was getting value for money from the physio :D

Anyhow, back injury is just from twisting the back - lots of complicated science explaining what I done but after heat treatment and a good working over felt 100 times better and should be ok in 48 hours :D.

The Achilles is fine - just some minor swelling can be felt but again a good bit of work on this, some calf raise exercises some self massage and no running until mid next week and I'll be fine. Physio seemed pleasantly surprised about my new sensible approach given he's seen the results of some of my past stupidity when dealing with ignoring injuries. :D The icing tip from Stazza was a massive help too - big thanks to Stazza for that.

So all in all dodged a bullet and am ok with the rest until mid next week bearing in mind it could have been a 6 month lay-off with the Achilles if I had continued running. :eek:

Now the big question is what to do about Bohermeen?? (assuming of course injury is gone and am ok to run)

Training cycle has been great up to last week so was feeling confident of sub 1:30 there especially give how close I was in Clontarf. But has missing the guts of two weeks and in particular a 15mile LSR and 5-6 mile HMP run ruined any chances off sub 1:30??

Would I be better off giving Bohermeen a miss and finding another Half-marathon a few weeks later??

Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Injury Update!!

Got an appointment with Physio for this morning so decided no running, even though Achilles felt fine, until he had a look. Just as well I had an appointment as yesterday morning my back locked up when I was lifting my 15 month old and spent yesterday in a chair in agony - was only mildly better this morning so thankfully had already booked in with physio. It was a back injury which pretty much ended my GAA career so was fairly anxious about it but at least was getting value for money from the physio :D

Anyhow, back injury is just from twisting the back - lots of complicated science explaining what I done but after heat treatment and a good working over felt 100 times better and should be ok in 48 hours :D.

The Achilles is fine - just some minor swelling can be felt but again a good bit of work on this, some calf raise exercises some self massage and no running until mid next week and I'll be fine. Physio seemed pleasantly surprised about my new sensible approach given he's seen the results of some of my past stupidity when dealing with ignoring injuries. :D The icing tip from Stazza was a massive help too - big thanks to Stazza for that.

So all in all dodged a bullet and am ok with the rest until mid next week bearing in mind it could have been a 6 month lay-off with the Achilles if I had continued running. :eek:

Now the big question is what to do about Bohermeen?? (assuming of course injury is gone and am ok to run)

Training cycle has been great up to last week so was feeling confident of sub 1:30 there especially give how close I was in Clontarf. But has missing the guts of two weeks and in particular a 15mile LSR and 5-6 mile HMP run ruined any chances off sub 1:30??

Would I be better off giving Bohermeen a miss and finding another Half-marathon a few weeks later??

Personally I would skip the half and pick up where you left off before the injury but that's easy for me to say.

• Advertisement

Injury Update!!

If the injury and missed couple of sessions is playing on your mind you could look at the Wicklow half on the 23d March. It's a harder course than Bohermeen though, I ran both last year (1:35 in Bohermeen, 1:37 in Wicklow). I reckon you've enough stamina to get by, missing only 1 LSR. If you could get through a HMP session over the weekend without pain I'd say go for it in Bohermeen.

If the injury and missed couple of sessions is playing on your mind you could look at the Wicklow half on the 23d March. It's a harder course than Bohermeen though, I ran both last year (1:35 in Bohermeen, 1:37 in Wicklow). I reckon you've enough stamina to get by, missing only 1 LSR. If you could get through a HMP session over the weekend without pain I'd say go for it in Bohermeen.

Cheers Statss - unfortunately Physio says not to run until Tues/ Wednesday next week so Wed would be earliest I could do a HMP session so not ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

If it was me I wouldn't do Bohermeen. Too risky and too little to be gained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

If it was me I wouldn't do Bohermeen. Too risky and too little to be gained.

+1

The HM is a monster session. Monster.
    It will be unforgiving on any ache or pain that you have.

You could be lucky and get away with it and have a good race, but it will be only 1 good race.
    You could be unlucky and mess up the injury and miss a lot of races in the Spring.

The other side of it is that at mile 10, you may get an ache, you'll start to question the ache and be worried thats its something more serious.
    Now your head is f*&ked up as well..........

Alternative is to run the race, but not at HMP - 1st half a bit slower and ramp it up - be a great training session for another HM.

I miss RunningKing - he would have told me to run it and aim for 1:25 :D:D

Seriously though really appreciate the advice folks and AMK hit the nail on the head and it ain't worth the risk. Have paid up for Bohermeen so might still run it as a session with some HMP miles thrown in but won't commit just yet to that.

Spent a good while searching for alternative HM's and I think Omagh Half might be the perfect one - it's on March 29th, looks like a decent PB course and has 1:30 pacers - will finalise over the weekend but looks like a winner!!

Thanks again for the advice folks.

Hey TJ, just catching up on your log. Good to hear the injury is noting too sinister. AuldManSensibleKing is spot on I think. And good to see you're actually listening to the old fart too:D:D

• Advertisement

6 miles easy @ 8:23 pace

Yay - I'm back and spring is here too. :D:D

After exactly a fortnight since my last run, much icing of achilles and have now found God Stazza and converted to AIS, finally felt ready to run so got out at lunchtime for a nice easy 6 miles and nice feeling to have the sun on my back - amazing how much the weather has changed in a fortnight.

No aches or pains with the achilles during or after the run but will continue to ice, self massage and do lots of AIS (which is really helping) and a couple of specific stretches the physio prescribed should be back to where I was a few weeks ago soon.

Am disappointed that I have to give Bohermeen a miss (especially when the number arrived in the post during the week) but have now shifted focus to Omagh HM on 29th March which gives me 4 weeks to get in shape for a sub 1:30 attempt.

Welcome back TJ, and hopefully you'll be back flying again shortly

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

There is so many half marathons out there, i would give it a miss altogether. Play on the safe side. Nothing more boring than sitting on the couch annoyed for 6 months.

End of Month update: Total mileage - 87 :(

Month started well but ended up missing two weeks with Achilles injury. Thought it had cleared up and got a run in on Friday and while I felt super during the run by Friday evening the Achilles was worse very sore and I was in a lot of discomfort with it. :mad:

Was really fed up but have accepted now that I'm likely to be out for a few weeks so rather than lie on the couch and feel sorry for myself have decided to focus on core work and will also do some cross-training - took out a month's membership with a local gym so will aim to do 4 days a week in the gym.

Have also decided to try and get to root of my injuries which seem to pop up every time I hit a certain weekly mileage - I reckon the fact that I overpronate a lot might be part of this issue so will use time off to address the underlying issue.

Month|2013|2014
    January|57|177.2
    February|78|87
    March|87.45|
    April|125.7|
    May|117|
    June|105|
    July|125.5|
    August|125.5|
    September|112.5|
    October|160.5|
    November|148|
    December|144.5|
    Total|1386.65|264.2

6 miles @ 7:59 pace

What a strange few days - after resigning myself to a few weeks off running with the Achilles and joining a local gym for a month to cross-train, it turns out I'm ok to run. Will keep with the gym for the core work though :).

Had decided to try and get to the root of the regular injuries at this stage:rolleyes: so after seeking advice here, decided to book an appointment with Mark Kenneally. Got an appointment this morning and after a good chat, lots of battering of the Achilles/calf and an exercise programme am ok to run. Have another appointment in a fortnight but touch wood shouldn't miss any more running. Also got great advice from Mark on my training plan and a few tweaks there should see me right.

Decided to test the Achilles so ran straight after work - cracking day and nice bit of heat - had to keep slowing myself down as the legs felt great but overall really enjoyed this run.

Done 30 mins core work, AIS and 120 heel drops after - wrecked now but it's all good :D:D.

• Advertisement

6 Mile easy @8:54 pace

Let the legs dictate the pace this evening and unsurprisingly they wanted to go nice and slow :). No aches or pains from the Achilles and done some AIS and plenty of heel drops.

Will do a HMP session tomorrow.

6 mile with 4 @HMP

Was a bit nervous about this as felt it would really test the Achilles and was also worried about the effects of a near three week lay-off (and a month since a HMP session). Wasn't helped by the fact that monsoon season arrived early in Cavan this year :eek::rolleyes:. Was absolutely bucketing down when I headed out at lunchtime.

1 mile warm-up was done @ 7:59 pace and was already like a drowned rat at this stage - was getting some spectacular soakings from passing trucks too as was doing this in the hard shoulder of the N3. Quickly got up to pace and 1st HMP mile felt fine and consistent 6:42. It got tough in the next mile but as it is net uphill wasn't overly concerned when it came in at 6:51, turned around at that stage and was hoping the net downhill would make things easier but it just got tougher and tougher - had to really grit the teeth to keep going and get this done. 3rd mile was 6:46. Was determined to do the 4 mile so kept going as didn't want the kick to my confidence of baling on a session. Last mile was 6:49:).

1 mile cool-down @ 8:05 pace to finish the session. Hat to wring out my top when I finished but thankfully had a towel in the car to save the drivers seat.:D

Happy to get this done and glad I didn't bale out when I was very tempted to do so - Achilles gave no trouble either - its still sore to the touch but no worse than when I was with the physio.

Today does show that the lay-off has had an effect on me but hopefully will get the pace back in the legs fairly soon.

In other news - its two years since I had my last smoke!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

6 mile with 4 @HMP

Was a bit nervous about this as felt it would really test the Achilles and was also worried about the effects of a near three week lay-off (and a month since a HMP session). Wasn't helped by the fact that monsoon season arrived early in Cavan this year :eek::rolleyes:. Was absolutely bucketing down when I headed out at lunchtime.

1 mile warm-up was done @ 7:59 pace and was already like a drowned rat at this stage - was getting some spectacular soakings from passing trucks too as was doing this in the hard shoulder of the N3. Quickly got up to pace and 1st HMP mile felt fine and consistent 6:42. It got tough in the next mile but as it is net uphill wasn't overly concerned when it came in at 6:51, turned around at that stage and was hoping the net downhill would make things easier but it just got tougher and tougher - had to really grit the teeth to keep going and get this done. 3rd mile was 6:46. Was determined to do the 4 mile so kept going as didn't want the kick to my confidence of baling on a session. Last mile was 6:49:).

1 mile cool-down @ 8:05 pace to finish the session. Hat to wring out my top when I finished but thankfully had a towel in the car to save the drivers seat.:D

Happy to get this done and glad I didn't bale out when I was very tempted to do so - Achilles gave no trouble either - its still sore to the touch but no worse than when I was with the physio.

Today does show that the lay-off has had an effect on me but hopefully will get the pace back in the legs fairly soon.

In other news - its two years since I had my last smoke!!

Great session, pity about the weather, lovely here in Dublin :D
    Even bigger congrats on the fags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Great session, pity about the weather, lovely here in Dublin :D
    Even bigger congrats on the fags
    Lovely here too ..... must be just Cavan :D

Kudos for staying off the fags TJ

2 years....pffftttt, 32 years and counting I am:cool:

How long did you smoke for out of interest? And do you find any residual affects from your smoking days?

2 years....pffftttt, 32 years and counting I am:cool:

How long did you smoke for out of interest? And do you find any residual affects from your smoking days?

I know - i'm just an amateur.:pac:

Smoked for about 15 years :eek: 20-40 a day for most of that time!! :eek:

Amazingly no affects (that I am aware off) from my smoking days - obviously running is a lot easier not smoking but used to enjoy my smoke after a race in particular (just after the banana usually).

I actually ran a half marathon with a packet of fags and a lighter in my pocket as I didn't want to lose them in the baggage drop area !! Used to enjoy the shocked looks when I lit up after a race:) but now I'm a more mature person!! :cool:

I know - i'm just an amateur.:pac:

Smoked for about 15 years :eek: 20-40 a day for most of that time!! :eek:

Amazingly no affects (that I am aware off) from my smoking days - obviously running is a lot easier not smoking but used to enjoy my smoke after a race in particular (just after the banana usually).

I actually ran a half marathon with a packet of fags and a lighter in my pocket as I didn't want to lose them in the baggage drop area !! Used to enjoy the shocked looks when I lit up after a race:) but now I'm a more mature person!! :cool:

And people say runners are obsessive! You should have taken one out with half a mile to go and lit up. That would have gotten even stranger looks! Glad to hear you're over that stage now and you're finally growing up:D

5 Mile recovery @ 8:30 pace

Was expecting the legs to be in bits today after yesterday's session but they were fine and was zoned out doing this but realised after two miles I was going a bit quick for a recovery run - had to really work to bring the pace down :eek:. No issues with Achilles either.

As Mrs Joad is doing a triathlon on Sunday have to move my LSR forward to tomorrow - not ideal but needs must. Want to get over 13 miles in and want to keep pace nice and slow and don't want to see 7:xx on any miles..

14 mile LSR @ 8:39 pace

1st LSR in a month so main objective was to get a run of more than 13 miles in and to run it nice and slow and take no risks. Second part was easy as never a danger that I would go too quick.

It was very windy and at times I was struggled to move forward - especially the last 6 miles or so. On the whole found this tough and last 3 miles were a real struggle and shows the effects of the lay-off. Surprised that it was so tough and mentally was struggling too for a lot of this but it got done and Achilles was no worse after it so will take the positives there :).

Splits were as follows: 8:25; 8:30; 8:28; 8:20; 8:40; 8:36; 9:00; 8:41; 8:40; 8:33; 8:42; 8:46; 9:02; 8:30.

Will do a short recovery run tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Are you still targeting the Omagh HM Tom?

• Advertisement
Advertisement