Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Are you still targeting the Omagh HM Tom?

That's the plan as long as physio gives me the green light - back with him on 18th so won't commit until then but will keep the training going as if I am doing it.

Club session - total 6 miles.

Decided that a rest would be more beneficial than anything yesterday so left total weekly mileage at 37 miles and 5 day in a row running.

Went down to the club session tonight which was speed work - 60, 80 and 100mtrs roughly - hadn't done this sort of stuff in a while so while it was tough also enjoyed it. No issues with the Achilles either which is great :).

With warm-up and cool down total mileage was 6 miles.

6 Mile @ 8:54

Legs were absolutely dead tonight so was only ambling around but didn't mind too much as it was a perfect evening for running and let the legs dictate the pace. There were loads of people out walking tonight and everyone was in good from which is a sure sign that Spring is here. :)

7 miles with 5 @ HMP

Took yesterday as a rest day as legs were still feeling battered from Monday's club session. So this session was moved to lunchtime today and was worried about it as legs still didn't feel 100% and I strained something in my right foot doing weighted heeldrops for the Achilles injury (nothing major but a bit of a irritant). Had considered bailing on this but figured that if I nailed it would give me confidence for Omagh HM.

Did an 8:13 warm up mile and then into the HM section. Was quickly into the right pace and while this got tough at times and particular over miles 3 and 4 it was more mental than aerobically tough. Splits for HMP section were 6:47; 6:48; 6:51; 6:50; 6:47 so delighted with that and particularly the consistency - route I picked today was fairly undulating so even more reason to be pleased. Done a 1 mile cool down @ 8:09 pace for total 7 of miles.

All in all a good session and have a 15miler planned for tomorrow (after a work night out tonight :eek: :eek: ) and a 3k race Sunday so if no problems with these and Achilles keeps improving will start to feel confident about Omagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Tom Joad wrote: »
    a 15miler planned for tomorrow (after a work night out tonight :eek: :eek: ) and a 3k race Sunday so if no problems with these and Achilles keeps improving will start to feel confident about Omagh.

Be very careful J - thats a lot of tough running all together.

Club session Monday - A HMP session today - 15m tomorrow and a 3k race on Sunday - all on a dodgy Achilles :eek:

Whats the purpose of the 3k race? If it were me (the sensible me :)) I'd skip the race and do the 15m on the Sunday.

Be very careful J - thats a lot of tough running all together.

Club session Monday - A HMP session today - 15m tomorrow and a 3k race on Sunday - all on a dodgy Achilles :eek:

Whats the purpose of the 3k race? If it were me (the sensible me :)) I'd skip the race and do the 15m on the Sunday.

Appreciate the input A, the 3k is with the club and wasn't part of the plan but can't really let the club down and really need to get the LSR in as have been light on these of late.

My thinking is that 15 miler will be slow, Saturday will be a recovery/rest day and 3k won't tax the achilles too much (achilles feels good touch wood) and next week is just one session (6 @HMP) and it's pretty much taper/ easy running to Omagh.

Alternative is to rest/recovery tomorrow/ LSR Saturday and 3k Sunday but may be a bigger risk :confused: or leave LSR until early next week - I'm confusing myself now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

If you have to do the 3k race then I'd suggest you leave the LSR. AMK's concerns are bang on.

8 mile @ 8:30 pace.

Had day off today and original plan was to do a 15 miler but heeded the good advice I got here and binned that idea. Was out with work crew on a night out last night so waited until this afternoon to head out - picked a route I hadn't done before and just let the legs dictate the pace.

Cracking afternoon for running and enjoyed this - pace was nice and easy and legs felt surprisingly good despite yesterday's session.

Will do another easy run tomorrow.

6 miles including 3k race 100mtrs x 2

This wasn't part of the plan but have missed a few club events for one reason or another so didn't want to miss this one and had promised the club I would do this one. Had planned just to do the 3k in order to mind the Achilles and also as sprinting is not my strong point by any stretch.:o

Got down to the track nice and early for a good warm up and was encouraged to see the club has so many masters athletes out (plus would mean I wouldn't be needed for the relays :D).

First up was 100mtrs and only decided to do this at the last minute for two reasons- 1. a couple of the lads on their first club event were hesitant about doing it and 2. I wanted to try out my spikes to see how they felt and then would decide whether to wear spikes or normal runners for 3k. Not much to say for race itself as I was never near the places and my start was shockingly bad and I never recovered. But it did convince me to ditch spikes for main event.

Had another cool down/ warm up with strides thrown in before 3k started (10 laps of track). Felt good lining up and it was a decent field and to speed the day up it was decided to run senior men and masters men together.

Got off to a good start and got into a nice position early on and by the end of the first lap was placed 6th overall. Always expected the first two senior men to shoot off so forgot about them and concentrated on maintaining my position and not to fall off the lads ahead - by lap 3 was feeling good and could hear the guy ahead of me blowing hard so picked him off by upping pace and felt really good. Upped the pace again over next two laps and still felt strong but on lap 6 one of my club mates bombed past me and the guy just ahead of me (I had been quite happy slowly reeling him in and was steadily gaining on him). This threw me for a bit but settled down and decided to follow my club mate as I usually finished near him in races over 5k so felt I could live with the pace. Was quickly past the guy ahead of me who was from Shercock club and tucked in behind club mate who was now slowing so made decision to go for it and passed him too and he didn't follow. All this moving left me struggling a wee bit but dug in and focussed on breathing for next lap and before I knew it I was coming into the last lap. Didn't up the pace and was quite relaxed coming into the last 100mtrs and knew the 3rd place guy was too far ahead of me to catch so it was just a case of holding my position. Two things happened very quickly then - noticed a lot of clubmates roaring at me to dig in and then the Shercock guy was level with me and starting to pull ahead. Wasn't prepared for this but had a great battle and found a last burst of speed and got the head down and just about held on for 4th place or second master men which I was thrilled with. Time was 11:03 which is a 17 second PB which I was pleasantly surprised by.

Injuries started to take their toll on the rest of the clubmates and ended up getting a last minute call to run the 4 x 100 relay. Ran the second leg and managed not to cock-up either baton change and finished with a gold medal for the relay. :eek::D

Overall delighted with the day and especially the 3k given recent injury and lack of speed training. And a gold and a silver medal is not a bad days work.

Weekly total was 33 miles. Next weeks priority is 15 mile LSR that I missed and a HMP session.

• Advertisement

5 mile @ 8:38 pace

Was expecting the legs to be tired for this and it panned out that way - got out nice and early as I had a busy day planned for me. Had the roads to myself and was quiet content ambling along. Bonus is no ill effects from yesterday on the Achilles.

Having missed my planned 15 miler plan for the rest of this week is as follows with Omagh HM the goal on the 29th - any input welcome.

Tuesday 18: 6/7 easy
    Wednesday 19: 15 mile LSR - might do this in the Phoenix Park.
    Thursday 20: rest
    Friday 21: 5-6 miles @ HMP
    Saturday 22: 6 easy
    Sunday 23: 12 mile LSR

with following week all easy running with some strides thrown in.

looks ok of a week- I'd even say there's not much to be gained with the 12 on Sunday, so if tired cut it short.

The HMP and the Strides are the most important thing from here on in IMO - maybe some 200's or 300's next week.

for reference.

6 mile easy @ 8:35 pace

Another nice and easy run this evening - legs felt a lot livelier than yesterday but kept it nice and slow nonetheless - another cracking evening for running.

Back with Physio in the morn early and have a day off work so might either do LSR in Phoenix Park or might park in Maynooth and do it along the canal. Edging towards Canal route as don't know Phoenix Park well enough to pick a decent 15 mile route and don't fancy doing laps off the park (or getting lost :o:o!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

6 mile easy @ 8:35 pace

Another nice and easy run this evening - legs felt a lot livelier than yesterday but kept it nice and slow nonetheless - another cracking evening for running.

Back with Physio in the morn early and have a day off work so might either do LSR in Phoenix Park or might park in Maynooth and do it along the canal. Edging towards Canal route as don't know Phoenix Park well enough to pick a decent 15 mile route and don't fancy doing laps off the park (or getting lost :o:o!)

Great stuff Tom

15 mile LSR @ 8:28 pace

Was back with the physio in Celbridge this morning and had the day off work so decided to do this along the canal from Maynooth towards Leixlip for a bit of variety.:)

Got good news on the Achilles front as physio is happy with progress and gave the go ahead to race Omagh - have to keep up the heel drops for another while and he gave my a few bits to do to work on running form so all good. :D

Parked in Maynooth and headed along the towpath for Leixlip and was starting to question the wisdom of my plan as the path was in bad repair after a few miles (either side of the 13th Lock) but they were working on it and it was fairly good after that. Miles flew by and was enjoyed the peace and quiet and listening to nature :). Took a gel after five miles and felt good. Turned back after 7.5 miles and was soon running into a fairly strong wind :( but pace was still ok and took another gel after 10 miles.

Last few miles were a real struggle and it was tough going keeping the legs moving forwards and by the time I got to mile 13 was really struggling. Kept going until I was nearly back at Maynooth but after 14 and a bit miles stopped and walked for a bit as was feeling wrecked and wind was nearly blowing me backwards. Walked for 1/4 of a mile and got going again once I was off the towpath.

Splits were as follows: 8:15; 8:07;8:08; 8:15; 8:14; 8:12; 8:22; 8:17; 8:26; 8:31; 8:27; 8:27; 8:21; 8:26; 10:21 :o

Not sure whether it was a good thing or a bad thing but had a lot of time to analyse this run on the drive back home and the big worry playing on my mind is that the missed LSRs when I was injured are the reason this was such a struggle (last LSR was also tougher than it should have been). It's starting to shake the confidence a bit.

The other possibilities with today are that I was dehydrated - normally I'm very good with drinking lots of water but was in Dublin yesterday and didn't drink as much as I normally drink. I may also be underestimating the effect of the wind too. I might just be clutching at straws here though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Good news TJ - getting the all clear on the injury is the most important thing. Others (more knowledgeable and experienced guys at running half decent distances!!) might come in here and tell you different, but I wouldn't worry too much about one or two runs feeling harder than expected. Remember that you had a hard day of racing on Sunday too and a day like that takes it out of you.
    The other possibilities with today are that I was dehydrated - normally I'm very good with drinking lots of water but was in Dublin yesterday and didn't drink as much as I normally drink. I may also be underestimating the effect of the wind too. I might just be clutching at straws here though :o

I don't know how the rest of us living in Dublin survive with the lack of water around the city:D:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

15 mile LSR @ 8:28 pace

Was back with the physio in Celbridge this morning and had the day off work so decided to do this along the canal from Maynooth towards Leixlip for a bit of variety.:)

Got good news on the Achilles front as physio is happy with progress and gave the go ahead to race Omagh - have to keep up the heel drops for another while and he gave my a few bits to do to work on running form so all good. :D

Parked in Maynooth and headed along the towpath for Leixlip and was starting to question the wisdom of my plan as the path was in bad repair after a few miles (either side of the 13th Lock) but they were working on it and it was fairly good after that. Miles flew by and was enjoyed the peace and quiet and listening to nature :). Took a gel after five miles and felt good. Turned back after 7.5 miles and was soon running into a fairly strong wind :( but pace was still ok and took another gel after 10 miles.

Last few miles were a real struggle and it was tough going keeping the legs moving forwards and by the time I got to mile 13 was really struggling. Kept going until I was nearly back at Maynooth but after 14 and a bit miles stopped and walked for a bit as was feeling wrecked and wind was nearly blowing me backwards. Walked for 1/4 of a mile and got going again once I was off the towpath.

Splits were as follows: 8:15; 8:07;8:08; 8:15; 8:14; 8:12; 8:22; 8:17; 8:26; 8:31; 8:27; 8:27; 8:21; 8:26; 10:21 :o

Not sure whether it was a good thing or a bad thing but had a lot of time to analyse this run on the drive back home and the big worry playing on my mind is that the missed LSRs when I was injured are the reason this was such a struggle (last LSR was also tougher than it should have been). It's starting to shake the confidence a bit.

This sounds vaguely familiar to a run I did last September. Funnily enough I had also been out with achilles/calf problems and was attempting my first run at that sort of distance for a long time. After 12/13 miles I couldn't have gone another yard (even if I slowed to a jog) and was really worried about completing the marathon 6 weeks later. However, I completed 15 miles three days later feeling as if I could have run all night when I finished. When I analysed the previous run, I realised that I hadn't taken on any water on what had been a warm day and it could well have been down to dehydration. I still believe that to be the case because nothing else makes sense.

Not sure whether it was a good thing or a bad thing but had a lot of time to analyse this run on the drive back home

Once upon a time a wise Cavan man told me about keeping things simple and not to over-analyse.

I wouldn't over analyse it - the wind was a b!tch today, but the temp was 15c - when's the last time we ran in that weather. Dehydration may also have been a factor.
    Your last few miles only dropped by ~10 secs per mile.

So by all standards, its a damn good run!

Cleanman wrote: »

I don't know how the rest of us living in Dublin survive with the lack of water around the city:D:D;)

Have you seen the state of it though :D that would kill us culchies. We are used to clean water :D:D

Cheers yaboya - that's very reassuring and you're right AMK I should take my own advice for a change :). The more the day goes on I'm thinking dehydration had to be a factor and it was quite warm which I didn't notice given the wind.

7 mile with 5 @HMP

Had been toying with doing 6 mile @ HMP but decided to stick with 5 as had tough session on Wednesday and I would be also cutting it too tight time-wise on my lunch break.

Done 1 mile warm-up and included some of the drills to focus on running form that physio recommended in the warm-up - felt like a bit of a tool doing them on a public road but needs must :o.

First three HMP miles felt tough but nice and controlled at the same time and was focussing on running form. By fourth mile the heavens opened and wind really picked up at the same time. The deluge soon turned to hail and sleet and it was difficult to keep going - running form went out the window as was battling the elements but pleased that pace didn't overly suffer.

HMP miles were as follows - 6:42; 6:44; 6:45; 6:50; 6:42.

Done 1 mile cool down and was relieved to get back to the car even if I couldn't feel my hands or legs at that stage. Quick shower and a frantic search for the tops of my nipples which appear to have gone missing at some stage during this :eek: and was back to work.

Overall delighted with this (apart from the missing nipples bit) and nice boost for Omagh on 29th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Great work there, cant believe we are back to this crap weather again:eek:

You must have been drinking lots of clear Cavan water since Wednesday :rolleyes:- nice session!

nice work.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Great work there, cant believe we are back to this crap weather again:eek:

I know - it's nuts - 11 degree difference in two days :eek::eek:. It's my fault for putting all my winter gear away last weekend though

I know - it's nuts - 11 degree difference in two days :eek::eek:. It's my fault for putting all my winter gear away last weekend though
    Oh never put away the winter gear:eek: Were you never told one swallow doesn't make a summer!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Oh never put away the winter gear:eek: Were you never told one swallow doesn't make a summer!

I really only put it away in case the wife robs it because I'm not using it anymore :rolleyes::D. I should know by now though that seasons mean nothing anymore in Ireland..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice session TJ, good confidence booster.

9.25 miles @ 8:26 pace

Was down in Kerry for the weekend and had originally planned a 12 miler but decided that legs were a wee bit tired still after Friday so would do a shorter LSR. Done 9.25 miles on a fairly hilly course and let the legs dictate the pace.
    Happy enough with this and brought the weekly total to 42.25 miles.

Fairly handy week planned for next week with HM on Saturday.

Not sure what you're planning for this week TJ, but this link AMK posted on my log worked really well for me this week:

http://running.competitor.com/2013/0...workouts_20718

I couldn't have felt more well prepared for my HM yesterday.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Not sure what you're planning for this week TJ, but this link AMK posted on my log worked really well for me this week:

http://running.competitor.com/2013/0...workouts_20718

I couldn't have felt more well prepared for my HM yesterday.

Cheers yaboya (and AMK :pac:) - like the look of that HMP workout in particular..

• Advertisement

Club session - total 6 miles

Headed down to the club tonight and session was 400 metres easy followed by 100mtr flat out - done 6 reps off this and enjoyed it - good session with HM in mind. Followed it up with a few mile nice and easy cool down..

4 mile recovery @ 9:13 pace

Decided to sneak this in before the united game torture last night and unsurprisingly after the club session the previous night the legs were fairly tired. Was ultra cautious and ran it very easy.

9:13 pace

Decided to sneak this in before the united game torture last night and unsurprisingly after the club session the previous night the legs were fairly tired. Was ultra cautious and ran it very easy.

Never seen that pace on you're log before:D

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Never seen that pace on you're log before:D

maybe my subconsious mind was trying to save me from the pain of watching a united match by keeping me away from it as long as possible :D

6 mile incl 2.5 @ HMPand 5 x 1min @ 10k pace:

Liked the look of this session which was on the plan yaboya posted ^^^.

Decided to leave the HMP bit at 2.5 as plan said 2-3.

Done 1 mile warm-up at 7:50 pace and legs felt as fresh as daisies. HMP splits were 6:44; 6:45 and 6:43 pace. 0.5 mile @ 8:05 pace followed by the 1 min on/ 1 min off bit - was a bit worried about this as it's something I have done before but really enjoyed it. Pace for 5 "on" section were a wee bit of the quick side (was aiming for 6:20 pace) @ 5:45, 5:50; 5:45; 6:00 @ 6:05. Finished the rest off the run at a nice easy pace for a total of 6 miles.

Happy with this session and legs feel nice and fresh too.

6 mile incl 2.5 @ HMPand 5 x 1min @ 10k pace:

Liked the look of this session which was on the plan yaboya posted ^^^.

Decided to leave the HMP bit at 2.5 as plan said 2-3.

Done 1 mile warm-up at 7:50 pace and legs felt as fresh as daisies. HMP splits were 6:44; 6:45 and 6:43 pace. 0.5 mile @ 8:05 pace followed by the 1 min on/ 1 min off bit - was a bit worried about this as it's something I have done before but really enjoyed it. Pace for 5 "on" section were a wee bit of the quick side (was aiming for 6:20 pace) @ 5:45, 5:50; 5:45; 6:00 @ 6:05. Finished the rest off the run at a nice easy pace for a total of 6 miles.

Happy with this session and legs feel nice and fresh too.

Looking good for this weekend.
    Best of luck :)

5 mile with 5 x 100mtr strides.

Got out early this morning to get this done and unfortunately hadn't looked out the window first - was baltic and lashing rain/hail/sleet and wasn't dressed for them conditions :eek::eek:

Kept the pace nice and handy and the strides were nice and controlled too. Average pace for the 5 mile was 8:25.

All systems are go for Omagh tomorrow and hopefully a sub1:30 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

TJ,

You've done all the hard work, best of luck tomorrow, I'm sure you'll nail it.

TbL

Don't have any doubts - when it starts to hurt, run harder! Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

No bother at all to you TJ - best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Good luck tomorrow Tom, will likely be wearing my Boards top so don't be afraid to say hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow TJ, go get that sub 1.30.

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow Tom, will likely be wearing my Boards top so don't be afraid to say hello.

good stuff - should be able to spot you so :D. Talk to you then!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck Tom. No bother to you.

Good luck, you will fly it:)

• Advertisement

Cheers folks - appreciate the support.

Best of luck Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Best of luck tomorrow TJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Good luck tomorrow, enjoy the race

You doing the leaving cert or something tomorrow??? Best of luck with it man, 90 mins is plenty of time for the kids these days ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement