Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

pconn062 wrote: »
    I'm sure you are aware Tom, but the JD plan is quite intense once you get into the main work. I did some of it before and the three sessions a week were really tough and left me a bit burnt out. If you're PB is 40:24 you could probably break 40 minutes in the next 8 weeks, with the right sessions and a few more miles. I'm coaching a friend of mine who went from 39:30 to 38:01 in about 10 weeks. so big gains are possible! Best of luck with it anyway, will keep an eye on this one.

Thanks pconn. That's an impressive gain in 10 weeks :eek:.

I have been reading ahead and some of the Phase III stuff does look fairly intense but the immediate one that I'm looking nervously at is the 9 mile at Marathon Pace in 2 weeks time.

Will keep an eye on the burn out as the weeks go by too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with new plan TJ, be interested to see how you find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Good luck with the plan Tom, I'm hoping to get into something similar once I recover from London to work on a bit of speed. I have the Daniels book on my bedside locker scaring the bejaysus out of me at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

what are the long runs like in distance with this plan TJ, out of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

I bought a copy of JDs new edition the other day. Don't know when I'll put one of it's schedules into use. P&D is my coach at the moment for marathon distance and I'm going to try the McMillan 10K plan (the one with the final session of 2M x 3 @ 10K pace) in the summer ahead of Blessington. I've only scanned through the pages but I remember looking at the 10K schedule and not being able to see details for Phase I. Must double-check when I get home.

Going to be paying close attention to how you get on, we have very similar 10K PBs (40:16).

• Advertisement

I feel like a bit like a human guniea pig but here goes - below is my version of Phase II of the plan. I skipped phase I which is the base building phase as I feel I already have a decent base built. Phase III is the tough bit off the plan and is where most of the hard work is done!!

[
    B]Phase II: Week 1[/B]
    Monday
    5 mile E w/ 10 strides

Tuesday
    2 E + 2 sets of (8x200 R w/ 200jg) + 2 E {8.5 miles}

Wednesday
    5 mile E w/ 8 strides

Thursday
    OFF

Friday
    2 E + 4x200Rw/ 200jog + 2 x 1 T w/1 min rests + 4x200Rw/ 200jog + 2E {8 miles}

Saturday
    4 mile E w/ 8 strides

Sunday
    12 LSR
    42.5 miles
    Week 2

Monday
    5 mile E w/ 10 strides

Tuesday
    2 E + 4 sets of (200R w/ 200jg + 200R w/ 200jg + 400R w/ 400jg) + 2 E {8 miles}

Wednesday
    5 mile E w/ 8 strides

Thursday
    OFF

Friday
    2 E + 3 x 1 T w/1 min rests + 6x200Rw/ 200jog + 2E {8.5 miles}

Saturday
    4 mile E w/ 8 strides

Sunday
    12 LSR
    42.5 miles
    Week 3

Monday
    5 mile E w/ 10 strides

Tuesday
    2 E + 4 x 200R w/ 200jg + 4 x 400R w/ 400jg + 4 x 200R w/ 200jg + 2 E {8 miles}

Wednesday
    5 mile E w/ 8 strides

Thursday
    OFF

Friday
    2 E + 7 x 2mins HMP w 1min jg + 2E {8 miles}

Saturday
    5 mile E w/ 8 strides

Sunday
    11 LSR with 9 @ Marathon Pace
    42 miles
    Week 4

Monday
    5 mile E w/ 10 strides

Tuesday
    2 E + 4 x 400R w/ 400jg + 1 E + 4 x 400R w/ 400jg + 2 E {8 miles}

Wednesday
    5 mile E w/ 8 strides

Thursday
    OFF

Friday
    2 E + 4 x 200R w/200jg + 1E + 4x400R w/400jg + 2E {7 miles}

Saturday
    5 mile E w/ 8 strides

Sunday
    14 LSR
    44 miles
    Week 5

Monday
    5 mile E w/ 10 strides

Tuesday
    2 E + 5 sets of (200R + 200jg +200R + 400jg + 400R + 200jg) + 2 E {9miles}

Wednesday
    5 mile E w/ 8 strides

Thursday
    OFF

Friday
    2 E + 4 x 1T w/ 1 min rests + 4 x 200R w/200jg + 2E {9miles}

Saturday
    4 mile E w/ 8 strides

Sunday
    14 LSR
    46 miles
    Week 6

Monday
    5 mile E w/ 10 strides

Tuesday
    2 E + 10 x 400jg + 400R + 2 E {9miles}

Wednesday
    5 mile E w/ 8 strides

Thursday
    OFF

Friday
    2 E + 3 x 3min HMP w/2 min jg + 4 x 2min HMP w/2 min jg + 2E {9miles}

Saturday
    5 mile E w/ 8 strides

Sunday
    11 LSR with 9 @ Marathon Pace
    44 miles

statss wrote: »
    what are the long runs like in distance with this plan TJ, out of interest

I'm planning to keep them at 11 - 14 miles for this phase and should be something similar for Phases III and IV.

Week 1 Q1 Session:

Had to write this session down on a post-it to keep in my pocket so I wouldn't forget what I was meant to be doing (and this is one of the straightforward sessions). :P

Session was 2 mile easy and then 2 sets of 8x200 @ race pace (42 sec) with 200 jogged recoveries and then another 2 miles easy.

Included some of the improving running form exercises in the warm-up and kept the pace nice and slow but didn't time it.

First set of 8x200 flew by and apart from one 37 sec rep was between 40 and 42 on the rest. Followed by two slow laps and then into second set of 8x200. These were all consistently around the 40-42 mark so happy with that. Another nice and slow two mile and the job was done. :)

Total 8.5 miles.

5 mile easy with 8 strides:

I want to get back in the habit of getting runs done early in the morning so set the alarm for 5:30 this morning and got out early. Enjoyed this, even if the legs were a bit slow to get going, and kept the pace nice and easy. Done 8 20 second strides over the last mile. Average pace was 8:38.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Ah now there is early(6.30am) and there is obscene 5.30 am:eek:

• Advertisement

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Ah now there is early(6.30am) and there is obscene 5.30 am:eek:

And here I am still up sipping a nice single malt whisky :D - thank feck tomorrow is a rest day..

Week 1 Q2 Session: 4x 200 2 x 1mile @tempo pace 4x200.

Was a wee bit unsure of how this would go as may have over indulged both in crap food and booze celebrating Cavan winning 4 ulster U21s in a row :D.

Headed down to the track at lunch time today and started with 2 easy miles - didn't time them but just done 8 handy laps on the track.

Started into the first set of 200's and was surprised that the first one was 37 secs so dialled it back for the rest which were 40, 41 and 42. Done 200 jogs between each one.

Took a 1 min break and then done the 1st tempo mile. The target was 6:44. Completely arsed it up and ended up doing it in 6:09 :mad::eek:

Another 1 min break and into second tempo mile. Was consciously trying to slow it down but still came in at 6:30. :mad:

Done the next set of 200s in 40, 41, 42 & 40

Followed this up with another untimed nice and easy 2 miles for a total of 8 miles.

Felt like a comfortably tough session and its the first kind of session I've done with different paces so need to be more watchful of running at the right pace to maximise the benefits. Should still be a useful session though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Nice work Tom. Loved that first mile rep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Ripping that track up! Slowing yourself down to still hit 6:30:eek::eek::eek:

12 mile LSR @ 8:03 pace

Had to push this forward by a day as Mrs Joad has a triathlon thingy tomorrow. Nice to get out in the sun and the legs felt surprisingly fresh even after the session yesterday. Done the 12 mile in 8:03 average pace with fairly even and consistent splits so happy with that. Arch was a little big niggly after about 8 miles but nothing major.

Also went shopping for new runners and got a pair of Brooks Adrenalines - first time wearing non-asics so will break them in slowly over next few weeks.

Dunshaughlin the goal 10k TJ?

tang1 wrote: »
    Dunshaughlin the goal 10k TJ?

Unfortunately not Tang - am out of the country for Dunshaughlin this year. Haven't settled on the goal race yet.

3.5 mile easy with 8 strides @ 8:40 pace

Very easy 3.5 miles to take weeks total to 42 miles. Was a good opportunity to try out the new runners and so far so good :) and week 1 of 18 is all wrapped up.

Weekly total: 42 miles

Week 2 Q1 Session: 2Easy + 4 x(200 R/200 jog, 200R/ 200 jog, 400R/ 400jog) + 2 Easy

As I had an easy day yesterday decided to move this forward a day. Was in Dublin at an ungodly hour but at least I got back early and got this in. Absolutely cracking day for it too and felt like a summers day on the track :).

2 nice and easy miles to warm-up and plenty of stretching and work on running form. Didn't bother timing the 2 miles.

1st set was 38, 39 & 80 - all a touch quick but form was good and felt ok - plus no wind :pac:.

2nd set - 40, 41 & 80 - 400 a bit on the quick side.

Took a water break and then into final two sets

3rd - 40, 41 & 83 - still felt good.

4th - 37, 41 & 82 - got carried away on first one.

2 mile nice and easy cool down for total of 8 miles.

Delighted with this session and even happier with the weather :D.

Will do Q2 session on Thursday before going on the holliers!!

5 mile easy with 10 strides:

Having one of them days were I seem to be chasing my tail since I got up so wasn't overly surprised to realise than I had left garmin and Ipod behind me when packing this morning for a lunchtime run. Was too nice a day not to get out and have a list of jobs for this evening so just got out. Done the 5 miles nice and easy and threw in the 10 second strides on the last mile.

• Advertisement

5 mile easy w/ 8 x20sec strides:

Tried out the Brooks Adrenalines for these and while early days the arches definitely are better during and after compared to the Asics. Nice and warm out this evening doing this and enjoyed this. Legs felt nice and fresh too and pace averaged at 8:10. Had to rein the legs in on the strides as it was one of them runs where the legs constantly wanted to go faster - good complaint :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Had to rein the legs in on the strides as it was one of them runs where the legs constantly wanted to go faster - good complaint :D.

Love that. Feels like you're riding a two legged horse. Woa ther big fella. :)

Week 2: Q2 Session 3 x 1mile Tempo & 6x200

Had started the day with the intention of getting this done early as I have a million and one things to get done today before heading to NY :D. Things conspired against me and didn't get out until lunchtime - and by then it was raining!!

Done 2 untimed miles nice and easy and then started into the first tempo mile (was aiming for 6:44). Done the first in 6:34. Plan had one minute recoveries between the miles so stuck with that. Second mile was 6:38 and final one was 6:41. Enjoyed these and felt nice and controlled. Took a one minute rest and then into the 200s. Was conscious of the need to keep these at the goal pace (42s) as legs were tired by now. First was the usual too fast but the rest were ok. Splits were 38, 41, 42, 41,41, 40.

Done one mile recovery instead of the two as time was short. Total mileage was 7.5 and happy with this session - tough but manageable.

Wore the Adrenalines again and am now sure that they are helping the arch injury so have them packed for NY. Need to hide them as Mrs Joad has told me to pack lightly and I have a feeling she might starting weighing things in my bag to save weight for shopping :eek:

Will try and get LSR done on Saturday and another easy run on Sunday if the runners make it to the other side :D

Enjoy NYC TJ, some place.

Runners made it to the other side so got a few runs in in NYC - what a place for running and scenery too when running!

Saturday: 8 miles - meant to be LSR day but was tight for time and chickened out of running across the Brooklyn Bridge as I'm way too polite to barrel through meandering pedestrians :o. For those who know New York, I started on East 42nd street and headed for the Hudson river where a new bicycle/ running path has been installed which runs both sides of Manhattan. Ran towards downtown with stunning views of New Jersey and downtown (when I could take my eyes off the other nice scenery sharing the path with me :p). Ran then through Battery Park (some of it is closed for work) and then ran as far as Brookyln Bridge and doubled back. Pace was about 7:45 and it was about 20 degrees:cool:

Sunday: 6.5 miles - Started on 8th Avenue and headed towards central park (lot of stop start crossing roads but worth it for the run in central park - was running with hundreds of others and really enjoyed this. Done a loop of the reservoir and headed back down 9th Avenue for 6.5 miles at 8:05 pace.

Weekly total: 40 miles

After getting two runs in reckoned I would be pushing my luck doing another so settled for buying a bit of running gear on Monday and holding shopping bags for Mrs Joad (although she has pointed out that I bought twice as much as her!! :eek:).

Wednesday 23rd: Got back home today after no sleep on the overnight flight but got out for a quick 5 mile with 6 strides thrown in so happy with that even if legs were all over the place and pace was slow (8:38) . Will have to rejig plan for this week but will get the sessions in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Am mega jealous of running in NY !

Thursday 24th - 13 mile LSR:

Met up with The bitter lemon, who was fortunate to be staying in God's Country for a few days, for a run. We had a plan for a run somewhere between 8 - 12 miles at an easy pace but my legendary sense of direction took over and ended up doing 13 miles!! But in my defence I was trying to make it more interesting that just a run on the hard shoulder of a road!

Thoroughly enjoyed the run and the miles flew by and it was the fastest a LSR has even gone for me - on my own would have found this a lot tougher. But with the chat and good company this was over before I knew it. Got a lot of good solid advice about racing from TbL too which was appreciated - a real gent too.

Unfortunately and completely unrelated ( I hope :eek:) I have been struck down with a weird bug since yesterday so running has been off the agenda. Won't push things though over the weekend as have a trip to Croke Park tomorrow to earn brownie points for :D. Might just repeat this week off the plan and let the body get over this bug.

[Won't push things though over the weekend as have a trip to Croke Park tomorrow to earn brownie points for :D.

Whos playing in concert in Croker your off to TJ??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Jesus TJ,

You're really setting me up for a fall :)

Meet TbL, ran with the TbL, end up with some weird virus!

I swear I've had all my rabies shots :)

Hope you get back running soon, and thanks again for yesterday.

TbL

Thursday 24th - 13 mile LSR:

Met up with The bitter lemon, who was fortunate to be staying in God's Country for a few days, for a run. We had a plan for a run somewhere between 8 - 12 miles at an easy pace but my legendary sense of direction took over and ended up doing 13 miles!! But in my defence I was trying to make it more interesting that just a run on the hard shoulder of a road!

Thoroughly enjoyed the run and the miles flew by and it was the fastest a LSR has even gone for me - on my own would have found this a lot tougher. But with the chat and good company this was over before I knew it. Got a lot of good solid advice about racing from TbL too which was appreciated - a real gent too.

Unfortunately and completely unrelated ( I hope :eek:) I have been struck down with a weird bug since yesterday so running has been off the agenda. Won't push things though over the weekend as have a trip to Croke Park tomorrow to earn brownie points for :D. Might just repeat this week off the plan and let the body get over this bug.

• Advertisement

Whos playing in concert in Croker your off to TJ??!!

A bit of One Direction Tang - all towards the Roscommon goals. :D:D

Jesus TJ,

You're really setting me up for a fall :)

Meet TbL, ran with the TbL, end up with some weird virus!

I swear I've had all my rabies shots :)

Hope you get back running soon, and thanks again for yesterday.

TbL

We'll wait to see until the blood tests come back that's all I'll say :).

Hopefully it's only a mild case of man-flu or a bit off sun stroke so your off the hook.:D

A bit of One Direction Tang - all towards the Roscommon goals. :D:D

As a Westmeath man, i hope ye kick the tar out of them!!

As a Westmeath man, i hope ye kick the tar out of them!!

Will do our best!!

Nice to be back logging!!

Was off for the last ten days with man flu - the worst strain possible :eek::eek:. Spent three days in bed with it so running was very far off the agenda and it really knocked the stuffing out of me. Did try and do a session on Friday but after running a 2 mile warm-up and then 4 x 200mtrs with 200mtrs recovering I called a halt as while they were all on target time wise, they were taking way too much out of me. Ended up missing the county Masters Track & Field championship yesterday which is disappointing but racing was simply not an option.

Finally felt ok enough to get out today and managed 5 mile with 10 x 20 secs strides at 10k pace. Average pace was 8:13 so not too bad. The great thing about not having settled on a goal race though is that I'm under too much pressure schedule wise so this will be Week 3 of the JD plan.

Oh and April was 120.5 miles - nothing spectacular but ok!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Welcome back Tom, how do you find the JD plans?

• Advertisement

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Welcome back Tom, how do you find the JD plans?

Fine so far but only two weeks done!! This week will tell a lot as there's 9 miles @ marathon pace which looks like a killer!!

Would it be worth buying the book, would like to improve 5k and 10k after DCM.

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Would it be worth buying the book, would like to improve 5k and 10k after DCM.

I'd recommend it anyway and it's not too difficult to follow - plans are good too and work with ever pace suits you.

Will invest in it soon, would like to build up during the winter months.

Week 3 Q1 Session. 4x200; 4x400; 4x200

Expected this to be tough and already had a failed attempt on Friday so was a bit wary of this. Resolved to get out at lunch time to do it but when I arrived at the track there seemed to be a sports day on so aborted the mission. Knew it would be tight getting out tonight as Mrs Joad had triathlon stuff on so had to go out after dinner - not ideal but needs must.

Eventually got down on track and made sure I was armed with some decent tunes as I knew mentally this would be tough. Have rediscovered Creedence lately so loaded the iPod with a few albums.

2 miles warm-up was done @ 8:15 pace and then into the first set of 200mtrs with 200mtrs recoveries. Splits were 40, 41, 41 and 42.

Took a 1 min standing recovery before launching into the 400s - splits were 81; 86; 87; 85.

Another 1 min standing recovery before the last set of 200s - splits were 42; 41; 41; 42.

1 mile cool down and lots of stretching before home to a steaming mug of coffee.

This was tough but happy with hitting the targets apart from the one 87 400 :rolleyes: and the dinner was definitely sitting on the stomach and still have a wee bit of the after effects of the flu so all in all good to get this done.

• Advertisement

5 miles with 6x15sec strides:

Busy day with work and other things today so go out at 5:30 this morning to do this. It was a cunning plan until I realised the legs were in ribbons from last nights session so pace was very gentle and averaged 8:45. Was toying with the idea of skipping the strides but glad I done them as seemed to wake the legs up a wee bit. Looks like I got the nicest part of the day too as was only back in the door when the heavens opened and hasn't let up since. Nice when it goes for you :D:D.

Will do a core session tonight.

Finally back fit for running after the flu coming back at me and then turning into a chest infection. Was constantly tired and in no state for doing anything so all in all a frustratring few weeks and a lot of missed races but fingers crossed all back to normal now. Finished a course of antibiotics on Sunday for the chest infection so got back to running yesterday.

Monday 19th: 5 mile easy @ 8:44 average pace - was very humid and legs were a bit stiff from a game of 5 a side I played on Friday so took it nice and handy.

Tuesday 20th: Got out at 5:30 am this morning for this session and down to the local track before the rain started. Session was 2 miles easy followed by 4x400mtrs, 1 mile easy, another 4x400mtrs and 2 miles easy.

Was aiming for 86 secs for 400s.

First set was tough and legs were heavy enough but nothing major - splits were 82, 86, 85 and 86.

Done 1 mile easy, had a sip of water and into second set which was bloody tough - wanted to go home after 2 but kept going and kept them all under 86 which I was happy with. Splits were 86, 85, 86 & 84.

2 mile easy warm down for a total of 8.5 miles and home before the rest of the house was awake. :D

Good to see you back at it TJ.

I'll wait till you're sure that the plague is gone, before we hook up for another run :)

TbL

Good to see you back at it TJ.

I'll wait till you're sure that the plague is gone, before we hook up for another run :)

TbL

I was fine until that fateful day when I ran with the running slut ;) - just saying :D

5 mile with 7 x 15 sec strides:

Got out at 5:30 again for this - made a lot easier by waking up to the sun shining in the window :). Nice and gentle 5 miles around Cavan town with the streets to myself. Threw in 7 15 second strides in last mile.

Average pace was 8:23

4 mile easy @ 8:20 pace

Just an easy 4 miles thrown in at lunchtime. Kept the pace nice and handy and legs felt good. Tough session planned for tomorrow so will try and get it done early.

Week 4 Q2 Session: 4x 200mtrs, 3 mile Tempo, 4 x200mtrs.

Had a peek out the window at 5:30 to see it was rainy season again so went back to bed! Got out again after breakfast and the weather had dried up nicely. :) Wasn't looking forward to this session as it's the toughest to date on the plan and wasn't sure if the body was up to it.

Done 1 mile warm-up and then straight into the 200s which felt fine and controlled - only issue was I seemed to struggle to start the intervals - it was like I was a seized up but once I got going I was fine and first set splits were: 39, 42, 41, 42.

Took a 1 minute break for water before the 3 Tempo miles (aim 6:44). First felt fine and controlled and done in 6:30. Sent felt good and hit 6:41. Thought I would be hanging on for dear life for the third one but felt fine, if a little tired over last half mile, and finished it in 6:28 so delighted with that. :D

Took another 1 minute standing recovery before last set of 200s. Found these tough after the 3 miles but got them done in 41, 42, 42, 40.

1 mile recovery and a fair bit of stretching for a total of 7 miles. All in all delighted with this session as was worried that lay-off would set me back. Will do a lot of foam rolling tonight and am starting to consider doing Dunboyne 5 mile on Tuesday night if I can make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Nice going Tom, you're chugging along very well. Do you do your shorter repss on a track?

Nice going Tom, you're chugging along very well. Do you do your shorter repss on a track?

Thanks - I do them on a track around the local GAA club - its not a tartan track or anything fancy but it's 400mtrs and does the job nicely.

Thanks - I do them on a track around the local GAA club - its not a tartan track or anything fancy but it's 400mtrs and does the job nicely.

TJ,

Is that a Cavan 400m, ie. it's likely to leave you short :)

TbL

• Advertisement
Advertisement