Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

TJ,

Is that a Cavan 400m, ie. it's likely to leave you short :)

TbL

That sounds like the voice of experience - Would love to hear the story of how you were left short on your holiday in Cavan, TbL. ;)

11.5 mile LSR @ 8:04 pace

Another early start for this as had a busy day planned. Felt surprisingly good considering it's a month since i done an LSR. Pace was nice and quick and while I felt tired over the last few miles I was surprised how fresh I felt and no niggles.

Good solid week and total mileage was 41 miles. Hoping to do Dunboyne 5 on Tuesday and would be great to race again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

great stuff I'll hang on to you again like in the Raheny 5 mile

statss wrote: »
    great stuff I'll hang on to you again like in the Raheny 5 mile

Think it will be the other way around Statss - I'll be trying to hang on to you for dear life!! - Is it a fast course btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Think it will be the other way around Statss - I'll be trying to hang on to you for dear life!! - Is it a fast course btw?

I haven't done it before but I've been told its a good flat PB course and the last mile in particular is fast so give that plenty of welly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

- Is it a fast course btw?

Done it last year, its a fast course. Barring the tight 1st turn, its a good run.
    Finishes up with 1 lap of the cinder track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Agree w/ AMK I ran this last yr and was a great course / set up. Quicker course than raheny by a decent bit

4.25 mile easy @ 8:35 pace

Nice and handy run this evening to keep the legs fresh before Dunboyne. Am definitely doing it and have paid up so no going back. Not sure where I am at at the moment but will have a stab at sub 32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow TJ, sub32 no bother to ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Best of luck, you deserve a good time with those scary sessions you have been putting in:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck tomorrow TJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Best of luck tomorrow Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Good luck tomoro tj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Have a good one tomorrow TJ

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Good luck, you'll nail it.

• Advertisement

Cheers folks for the good wishes - would be delighted with a sub-32 but the main priority is to get used to racing! (Gets excuses in early :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

no bother to ya after that bank of training you've done. Remember if you get sub-30 you need to start wearing a singlet and split shorts...:D

Dunboyne 5 mile

Had only decided to do this late last week as I want to do more races - the theory being that this is the only way of getting better at racing.

Having lost a month between flu and a chest infection and only getting back to the training plan, I wasn't going to heap pressure on myself going into the race. Main objective was to race and develop a strategy that suits me when the going gets tough and to pace myself better.

Yesterday was one of those days in work where everything went my way, arrived in Dunboyne with loads of time to spare and was feeling that everything was going my way:D. Met Statss straight away and done a warm-up and a few strides with him and felt good and confident. I got a kick on the kneecap playing ball a few weeks ago and had been a wee bit sore in last few days but absolutely no effect on the running so all good on that score.

Met AMK and Wowzer and CianC and we got a good position near the start. As Statss and Wowzer were aiming for sub 32 too, decided I would try and keep them in my sights but also keep an eye on the watch (set it to kms to make the sums easier for me :)).

Usual start with lots of weaving and trying to get open road but after 1 km was beside Statss and Wowzer and was bang on target @ 3:56. 2nd km flew by and was on target @ 3:58. Felt happy at this stage and by the 3rd km was bang on the pace and was nicely positioned behind the two boys.

Started to struggle after that though and knew I was leaking seconds as the kms went by - had a 4:08 4th km , followed by a 4:11 5th km. I knew I was falling well back but could see Statss and Wowzer in the distance but knew that it would be wreckless to try and catch them. At this stage the usual dropping out thoughts entered my head but refocussed and now it was just about getting home. Had been mentally prepared to really hammer the last mile but when I got to it I knew there was feck all left in the tank. Passed a good few before hitting the track but that was all that I had left - held my position on the track but that was all I could do. Finished in 32:44

Initial thoughts afterwards was that I should be disappointed with this and I had gone backwards again but overall I wasn't too disappointed as it was a useful race to show where I am at and the work I need to do over the rest of the plan to get a sub 40 10k. Will try and race again either a 5k or a 10k in the next forthnight.

Met up with Statss, AMK and CianC for a warm-down run and then scoffed lots of cakes and coffee. Also met MisterDrak too so nice to put another face to a username. Left the three amigos to go off on their little adventure in the Park while I headed off to Cavan :cool:. Had a nice relaxing trip back listening to Springsteen's The River album - not as exciting as the lads "adventure" ;) but I'm ok with that :D.

Will definitely be back for this one next year - cracking race and really well organised. A must do on the calendar from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Good to meet you last night TJ as I follow your log. You had a good run last night after the lay off so there is plenty to be positive about.

Get yourself out to Dunshaughlin 10k next month if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Impressive time considering you where off a month Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done TJ.
    Well on target for the 5 & 10k targets based on that, with more improvement to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Found that course deceptively tough last night. Cracking time for you and right where you want to be for the target 5 and 10k races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done TJ, having an off race & still running a great time says alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Well done T, good running, last night will definitely bring you on.

6.2 miles with 10 x 20 sec strides:

Took yesterday as a rest day to allow the legs to recover. Rest day seems to have done the trick as the legs were as fresh as daisies this morning. Got out at 5:30 to do a planned 5 mile but ended up doing 10k as garmin was still on kms and it was way too early for converting to miles in my head!!

Done this on a new route with no concrete footpaths to mind the knee. Thankfully no issue with it on the run so think it's just a bit of bruising from the kick playing ball. Enjoyed the new route and threw in 10 x 20 secs strides over the last mile.

Pace was 5:03/km.

Well done Tom, you were certainly lucky not to have to travel with the other 3 lunatics!

Week 5 Q1 Session: 5 sets of (200R/200jg/200R/400jg/400R/200jg)

Had a feeling this was going to be a good session when I woke up fresh as a daisy at 5:20 this morning so was out the door by 5:30 :). Decided to run down to the track as a warm-up so done 2 miles nice and easy and then into the sets of intervals. Took a 60 second standing start between each set. Splits were as follows:

200 200 400
    39 40 85
    41 41 84
    40 41 83
    39 41 85
    40 41 84

Happy with that session. The sun was just starting to break through on the third set and Thunderstruck was played on my iPod - perfect tune for doing intervals at that hour of the morning. :D

2 mile cool down run home and then woke the house feeling smug getting that done while everyone else slept.

Total: 9 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Nice session:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Good workout TJ, class tune, some around here could learn from your taste in music, not naming names or anything, Duanington, how's it going :)

TbL

5 mile with 6 x 20sec strides@ 8:34 pace

Was heading to Bloom with the family today so decided to get out at 5:30 again to get this done early and before it got too hot. Legs were tired from yesterday's session so kept it nice and handy. Threw in 6 strides in the last mile.

• Advertisement

End of May update: Total mileage - 94.45

Missed pretty much the first two weeks of May with flu and chest infection so most of the mileage was done in last two weeks. Have had two good weeks since coming back and bonus was getting a race in as well in Dunboyne. I was a fair bit off PB territory but got a good indication of where I'm at and reasonably happy that I'm on track for ultimate 5k and 10k goals plus it was valuable racing experience.

Has been a very stop start few months but hopefully June will bring a few weeks uninterrupted running as plan gets fairly intense from next week on. Will also try and get a few 5ks done towards the end of the month.

Month|2013|2014
    January|57|177.2
    February|78|87
    March|87.45|148.25
    April|125.7|120.5
    May|117|94.45
    June|105|
    July|125.5|
    August|125.5|
    September|112.5|
    October|160.5|
    November|148|
    December|144.5|
    Total|1386.65|627.4

1st June: 12 mile LSR @ 8:13: Had the rare luxury off a bit of company for this which was great and made the miles fly by. Started of at a very handy pace but picked it up as the miles went by. Was wrecked after this and knee was sore after it - actually to tell the truth everything hurt!! My Garmin died during the run so don't have the splits.

2nd June: 4 miles recovery @ 8:57
    : Didn't get out until this evening as had a few beers last night but was a blessing in disguise as legs were in bits and knee was sore for most of the day. Went out with the aim of running as close to 9 mins miles as possible and managed to achieve that and by mile 3 legs were coming back to life and not even a murmur from the knee :D. Done an hours foam rolling when I got back - been a while since I done any so was long overdue. Legs felt great after it and seemed to get rid of a lot of knots out of the muscles - calves were especially tight.

Am still toying with the idea of switching session to Wednesday and just running easy - will see how I feel in the morning before deciding. Session is 10 x 400s :eek:.

5 miles with 8 x 20sec strides

Up and out nice and early for this and legs felt fresh after the foam rolling last night so started fairly handy and pace gradually increased as the miles went by. Threw in 8 x 20 second strides over the last mile. Think I got the best part of the day too which was a bonus :). Average pace was 8:09.

Will do the 10 x 400 session in the morning after plenty of stretching and foam rolling this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Dunboyne 5 mile

Had only decided to do this late last week as I want to do more races - the theory being that this is the only way of getting better at racing.

Having lost a month between flu and a chest infection and only getting back to the training plan, I wasn't going to heap pressure on myself going into the race. Main objective was to race and develop a strategy that suits me when the going gets tough and to pace myself better.

Yesterday was one of those days in work where everything went my way, arrived in Dunboyne with loads of time to spare and was feeling that everything was going my way:D. Met Statss straight away and done a warm-up and a few strides with him and felt good and confident. I got a kick on the kneecap playing ball a few weeks ago and had been a wee bit sore in last few days but absolutely no effect on the running so all good on that score.

Met AMK and Wowzer and CianC and we got a good position near the start. As Statss and Wowzer were aiming for sub 32 too, decided I would try and keep them in my sights but also keep an eye on the watch (set it to kms to make the sums easier for me :)).

Usual start with lots of weaving and trying to get open road but after 1 km was beside Statss and Wowzer and was bang on target @ 3:56. 2nd km flew by and was on target @ 3:58. Felt happy at this stage and by the 3rd km was bang on the pace and was nicely positioned behind the two boys.

Started to struggle after that though and knew I was leaking seconds as the kms went by - had a 4:08 4th km , followed by a 4:11 5th km. I knew I was falling well back but could see Statss and Wowzer in the distance but knew that it would be wreckless to try and catch them. At this stage the usual dropping out thoughts entered my head but refocussed and now it was just about getting home. Had been mentally prepared to really hammer the last mile but when I got to it I knew there was feck all left in the tank. Passed a good few before hitting the track but that was all that I had left - held my position on the track but that was all I could do. Finished in 32:44

Initial thoughts afterwards was that I should be disappointed with this and I had gone backwards again but overall I wasn't too disappointed as it was a useful race to show where I am at and the work I need to do over the rest of the plan to get a sub 40 10k. Will try and race again either a 5k or a 10k in the next forthnight.

Met up with Statss, AMK and CianC for a warm-down run and then scoffed lots of cakes and coffee. Also met MisterDrak too so nice to put another face to a username. Left the three amigos to go off on their little adventure in the Park while I headed off to Cavan :cool:. Had a nice relaxing trip back listening to Springsteen's The River album - not as exciting as the lads "adventure" ;) but I'm ok with that :D.

Will definitely be back for this one next year - cracking race and really well organised. A must do on the calendar from now on.

Great time, making great progress.
    Great race, did this last year and cant wait for it next year.

Great time, making great progress.
    Great race, did this last year and cant wait for it next year.

Yep great race and will be a must-do on the calendar from now on. Good to see you getting back to fitness too.

Week 6 Q1 Session: 10x 400mtrs:

Was travelling with work today so got out at 5:30 a.m (again) to get this done. Done a gentle 1 mile warm up and then into the 400mtrs - plan was 10 of these with 400 jog recoveries. Aiming for 86 seconds.

First five felt fine and apart from when turning the first corner there wasn't a peep from the knee. Splits for first 5 were 82;84;83;85;85.

Took a 90 second standing recovery - mainly to get water on board and then into the second 5 - splits were 85;84;85;83;84. Reversed the direction on these and again knee was fine.

Was dreading this session but actually wasn't too bad at all. It was a lot cooler than recently and the light drizzle was very welcome. Legs felt good and fresh too.

Done 1 mile cool down for a total of 7 miles - not bad considering I was back home by 7 am. :)

Week 6 Q2 Session 3X 3min @HMP, 4X 2 min @HMP, with 2 min jog recoveries:

Took a rest day yesterday as I had run six days in a row and also wanted to mind the knee.

Was unsure as to what way this session would go or how long it would take so got out about 5:20 am to get it done before the rest of house got up.

Started off with 2 miles easy @ 8:10 pace and then into the HMP sets.
    Average pace for the 3mins were 6:42, 6:44 and 6:43. These all felt comfortable but I did start way too fast on the third one so the pace wasn't as controlled as the other two. The 2min sets were a lot easier and had to consciously keep the pace @ HMP. Average pace was 6:44; 6:45; 6:42 and 6:35. I got a bit carried away on the last one and it was downhill :D.

Two mile easy was done at 7:55 pace and the legs felt nice and fresh on the last two miles. Not a murmur from the knee either.:D

Total mileage was 8.5miles. Really enjoyed this session as Stazza might say it was "a cheeky little session". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

You're a savage man for the early starts, how much sleep do you usually get?

cianc wrote: »
    You're a savage man for the early starts, how much sleep do you usually get?

Best part of the day and all that!! :D

Usually asleep by 11 o'clock and thankfully sleep soundly. Alarm goes off at 5:20 - gear is all ready from previous night. Quick splash and dash and out the door by 5:30. It's easy this time of year as it's bright and warm but I'm not so good in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Best part of the day and all that!! :D

Usually asleep by 11 o'clock and thankfully sleep soundly. Alarm goes off at 5:20 - gear is all ready from previous night. Quick splash and dash and out the door by 5:30. It's easy this time of year as it's bright and warm but I'm not so good in winter.

Fair play to you TJ - I'm forever threatening myself with these kind of early starts but haven't quite got the bravery yet !

Duanington wrote: »
    Fair play to you TJ - I'm forever threatening myself with these kind of early starts but haven't quite got the bravery yet !

The worst bit of it thinking about it. Leaves me plenty of time for the chin-ups for the rest of the day - 5 last count :D

6 miles easy @ 8:12 pace

Out nice and early again this morning for this and was a nice easy 6 miles on a cracking morning for running. No aches or niggles either.

11 miles with 9 @MP

I was dreading this session if I'm being honest as I've never done anything like it before and on paper it looked horrendous. Didn't even know what my marathon pace should be but after a bit of research figured on 7:15 a mile!

Had a match to go to this afternoon so set the watch for 6 am for my porridge as really didn't fancy doing this on empty. Headed out the door at 6:30 and decided to try and use the first mile to gradually get up to Marathon Pace. Was surprised to see that I was running at marathon pace after a 1/4 mile so decided to keep with it. Sun came out at that stage and it was very warm for that early in the morning. First 4 miles flew by and pace was good. 5th and 6th miles were net uphill but was still managing a consistent pace. Miles 7 and 8 were flat and comfortable and was running under tree cover so was a nice respite from the sun. Was only when I got to mile 9 that I realised that I would be running up two big long hills :eek:. Was determined to finish on pace so dug in and gave it everything to maintain the pace. By the time I finished the 9 miles I was wrecked and was dry retching for a few minutes.

Was worth it though as average pace was 7:13 so was delighted with that. Done two miles at 8:14 pace when I got going again.

Splits for MP miles were: 7:23; 7:09; 7:09; 7:13; 7:10; 7:13; 7:11; 7:13; 7:13

Really happy to get this done and happy to finish Stage 2 of the plan.

Real work starts now though in Stage 3 so today was a nice wee confidence builder.

Least said about the rest of the day the better though :rolleyes:
    Weekly total 41.5 miles.

Great work, were you there in time for the scrap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

cant even get through the parade!

• Advertisement

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Great work, were you there in time for the scrap?

Happened right in front of me :eek:. I've seen a lot in Ulster football over the years but this is a new one on me. Really not nice to see.

Happened right in front of me :eek:. I've seen a lot in Ulster football over the years but this is a new one on me. Really not nice to see.

A strange one alright, at least you were nt dying of boredom like the 1st half in Roscommon! It s not stopping me watching the Sunday Game though!!

A strange one alright, at least you were nt dying of boredom like the 1st half in Roscommon! It s not stopping me watching the Sunday Game though!!

I want to see did I get on the telly but honestly I didn't throw a punch. Last time I was on telly was on Crimeline!!

I want to see did I get on the telly but honestly I didn't throw a punch. Last time I was on telly was on Crimeline!!

Oh do tell?

Oh do tell?

Nothing that exciting :D There was a reconstruction of someone walking down Nassau Street and I was in the shot for a few seconds!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement