Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Tom Joad wrote: »
    12.5 miles LSR @ 8:01

Had to travel down the country early this morning so out at 5:30am for this. Fairly uneventful run and kept the pace steady and consistent. Felt good even with the early start. Brought the runners with me so will get an easy run in tomorrow.

5:30am...nut job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

6 mile easy @ 8:05

Down in Kerry for this and had a lie in until 7am this morning :). Picked a nice quiet scenic route for this - was a bit hilly but a lovely run. Legs felt good and fresh and pace was fairly consistent. Good end to a good week's running. :)

Total weekly mileage: 44 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

You are away for the weekend and you had a lie in until 7am:eek: My 3 year old attempted to get up at 6.50am and was apprehended on the landing and returned to his bed until 8 am, a much more suitable time to arise.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    You are away for the weekend and you had a lie in until 7am:eek: My 3 year old attempted to get up at 6.50am and was apprehended on the landing and returned to his bed until 8 am, a much more suitable time to arise.

Want to tell my 18month old that 7 am is too early? :D I don't mind the early starts to be honest..

Want to tell my 18month old that 7 am is too early? :D I don't mind the early starts to be honest..
    Fair play to you. I had 3 babies in 3.5 years and none of them were sleepers, now the youngest is 3 and I'm only catching up on the 6 years sleep I missed:D

• Advertisement

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Fair play to you. I had 3 babies in 3.5 years and none of them were sleepers, now the youngest is 3 and I'm only catching up on the 6 years sleep I missed:D

Sounds like you earned it! to be fair both mine are great sleepers - they are just early risers like their daddy :D

4 miles @ 8:12 pace

Didn't get out until this evening for this and time was limited so just done 4 mile around the local pitch. Mind numbingly boring but happy to get a run in.

Plan for the week with Fingal in mind is:

Tues - 3 mile threshold - Q3 session
    Wed - 12 mile LSR
    Thurs - 5/6 Easy with strides
    Fri - 5/6 Easy with strides
    Sat - Rest

Week 11 Q3 Session: 3 mile T + 4x200 R w/200jg

Absolutely wrecked this morning after very little sleep but knew I had to get this done early or risk not getting it done at all.

Went down to the track and done a one mile warm-up (untimed) and after a wee bit of strectching got stuck in to the 3 mile threshold (target 6:44). First 1600 mtrs were done in 6:30, a touch on the fast side but felt ok, second 1600 was 6:40, and last 1630 done in 6:34.

Took 2 in standing recovery before getting into the 200mtrs Reps. Splits were as follows:
    36 :eek:

1 mile cool down untimed for total of 7 miles. Wasn't expecting much from this session with the tiredness I felt so happy out with how it worked out. Helped too that was listening to Metallica - The Black Album - hadn't listened to it in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

ahh The Black Album. The last truly good Metallica studio album.

statss wrote: »
    ahh The Black Album. The last truly good Metallica studio album.

Sad but true (see what I did there :D*)

*I'll get my coat so!!

• Advertisement

that joke was a The Thing That Should Not Be :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

...And Justice For All was their last good album, but I guess it's in the Eye of the Beholder

Great session Tom!

11.5 miles @ 7:59 pace:

With Fingal in mind wanted to get my LSR in today and just do easy running with strides between now and Sunday.

I like to get my running out of the way early usually as it works best that way but had planned on doing this late this evening but simply couldn't find the time to fit it in. So instead set the alarm for 4:50 - had the porridge and headed out the door.

Drawback of getting out that early was that I didn't get much water on board and don't generally bring water with me anymore on runs. By the end of mile 3 was soaked through with sweat but pace was good and steady. Turned into a bit of a plod from mile 6 - 9 but got a second wind and finished strongly. Wasn't watching the pace too closely but felt fairly consistent and done the 11.5 in 7:59 average pace. I had intended on doing 12 but mismeasured the route. Still not too shabby to get a LSR done and finished by 7am. :D

Will do a core workout tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Mental.

cianc wrote: »
    Mental.

Eh thanks... I think :D

5 mile easy with 8 x 15sec strides:

Day from hell yesterday meant that I didn't get out for a run but not too bothered as rest day was probably due. Got out early this morning as I had to go to Dublin with work. Legs felt great but it was very humid and sticky - threw in 8 x 15 sec strides over the last mile. Average pace was 8:31*

Will do a gentle 4 or 5 mile tomorrow to keep the legs turning over.

Spoiler: *it was actually 7:51 pace but seen Meno's rant and angry nordies scare me

3 miles Easy @ 8:45

Decided to get out for a gentle run to loosen the legs before tomorrow. Had planned on 4 mile but ran in to the mother of all thunder and lightning storms so legged it home soaked to the skin.

All systems go for tomorrow and hopefully will get close to the 40 min mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

3 miles Easy @ 8:45

Decided to get out for a gentle run to loosen the legs before tomorrow. Had planned on 4 mile but ran in to the mother of all thunder and lightning storms so legged it home soaked to the skin.

All systems go for tomorrow and hopefully will get close to the 40 min mark.

Best for tomorrow TJ, with some of the sessions you've been doing you're in good shape for a sub 40

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow TJ.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow TJ.

Cheers Tang - congrats on your news too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Good luck for tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Good luck Tom, your training has been brilliant to follow, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats! I presume that 39:42 is you.

Congrats! I presume that 39:42 is you.

Guilty as charged :D Delighted and surprised at the same time.

Will do a wee report later on!

Some great performances from Boardsie's today.

Well done TJ, all those early morning runs weren't didn't go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Guilty as charged :D Delighted and surprised at the same time.

Will do a wee report later on!

Some great performances from Boardsie's today.

Excellent running today man, delighted for you..

What a time! So well deserved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great time J, well done, half way to having to change the title of your log again!

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Well done Tom, great to meet you today. Sub 40 well and truly nailed. Any plans for a 5k to tackle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Congrats sir !

Fingal 10k - 39:42 :D

"Its' been a long time coming, but now's in here.. and I ain't gonna fúck it up this time."

Was listening to The Boss Live in Dublin on the way up to Swords and these lyrics really summed up today perfectly.

Build-up:
    Sub 40 has been a real monkey on my back for a while now and I was beginning to think I might never get there. I haven't run a 10k since last autumn and part of that is that I've been avoiding them - simply put I've never run a good 10k. Decided when I started this training cycle that I would focus on the 5k and the 10k for 18 weeks and see where that put me. Have 11 weeks done of the plan and while Dunboyne 5 mile (32:44) put me as far away as ever I was still reasonably happy that I was in sub 40 shape physically.

In mental terms this was a whole other ball game though so with this in mind spent last night reading Jack Daniels on racing strategies and how to cope when thing get tough. Also had a good bit of time on the way up to talk to myself about handling the mental side of the race so felt pretty good when I landed in Swords.

Pre-Race:
    Parked in the pavilions and went for a quick splash and dash before making my way to the start. Was running too late to meet the other boardsies so made my way into the pen and worked my way up. Spotted Dave and went to have a quick chat - we then spotted Statss (from the hair of course :D) and lined up with the rest of the crew.

1k - 3k
    Got a good start and made sure I didn't use too much energy weaving around slower runners and waited for the race to settle down. Outforarun got off to a flyer so I made sure I kept him in sight and had Statss on my shoulder so knew pace was fairly ok. 1st k was 4:00 so delighted with that. Felt really good now and the second k out on the dual carriageway was the first time I had open road and moved up a good few places. 2nd k was done in 3:45 and 3rd in 3:52. Felt strong and delighted to have 23 seconds banked at this stage. At the end of the 3rd k Dave McMahon flew past me but wisely didn't try to keep him in sight.

4k-8k
    4:01, 4:07, 4:04, 3:59; 3:57

Knew this would be the tough bit of the course so settled down and just focussed on the next steps, didn't bother stopping for water and tacked on to the end of a group that was running well. Lost a wee bit of time on the 5th k but not too worried as the half-way mark hit me by surprise as that k flew by. 6th was a shade off pace too but the confidence of having time banked really helped me here. The next 2ks were tough enough and I lost a bit of time and concentration going through the civil defence hosing down area - was very welcome too :D. For some strange reason I took a last minute decision to take water on board at the water table - got two gulps down me before realised the group I was running in was about 100mtrs down the road ahead of me.

9k-10k
    4:02, 3:55

Gave myself a severe talking too after this and concentrated on reeling in the group. I think I was subconsciously trying to sabotage myself by stopping for water :eek:. But I realised that nobody had passed me in about 4k and I was a minute ahead of my Dunboyne 5 mile time at 5 mile.

Although I was really finding it tough I focused on the breathing and anytime I felt really bad I sped up and tried to reel in the next person in front of me. Seen outforarun ahead of me at this stage and and this gave me a boost as I could see how well he was running. Hit the 9k mark where tons of people were supporting and this gave me a real lift. Knew there was a hill somewhere on the last k but was horrified when I hit it - legs were like mush and it seemed to go on for ever. I nearly stumbled at one stage and glanced at the watch. Seen 9:65k on it and just focused on getting home. Was too drained to even try a fast finish but seen the clock on the home straight and gave a little spurt as I knew I was close to the sub-40.

Clock read 39:5x as I came to the line so I knew I had made it. For the first time I crossed the line with the arms in the air. Quick check of the Garmin confirmed the sub-40. Outforarun had finished just ahead of me and we met the rest of the lads and had a quick chat. Some great running from lots of boardsies and nice to meet so many faces - most for the first time too.

Headed back to Cavan fairly quickly to be home for the spuds :D and the ball.

Post match analysis:

Absolutely delighted with this and chuffed to get the monkey of my back with a 42 second PB. I feel I have made a real breakthrough on the mental side of running today and this is the start of some good things running wise.

I have 7 weeks of this cycle left and will keep up with it and do as many 5ks as I can between now and the end of the cycle which will finish with the lakes 10k.

Sub 19 5k is the next target to take out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

congrats and very well deserved - you'll be surprised how this helps you mentally.

Very impressive, super stuff:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done Tom. Good to meet you today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Great race. And was really good to meet and chat with you today. You've probably seen over in my log that I was 100% convinced that you were menoscemo :o:o:o

Well executed TJ, delighted for ya. You might be on to something about your morning v evening race theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

"Its' been a long time coming, but now's in here.. and I ain't gonna fúck it up this time."

Was listening to The Boss Live in Dublin on the way up to Swords and these lyrics really summed up today perfectly.

Build-up:
    Sub 40 has been a real monkey on my back for a while now and I was beginning to think I might never get there. I haven't run a 10k since last autumn and part of that is that I've been avoiding them - simply put I've never run a good 10k. Decided when I started this training cycle that I would focus on the 5k and the 10k for 18 weeks and see where that put me. Have 11 weeks done of the plan and while Dunboyne 5 mile (32:44) put me as far away as ever I was still reasonably happy that I was in sub 40 shape physically.

In mental terms this was a whole other ball game though so with this in mind spent last night reading Jack Daniels on racing strategies and how to cope when thing get tough. Also had a good bit of time on the way up to talk to myself about handling the mental side of the race so felt pretty good when I landed in Swords.

Pre-Race:
    Parked in the pavilions and went for a quick splash and dash before making my way to the start. Was running too late to meet the other boardsies so made my way into the pen and worked my way up. Spotted Dave and went to have a quick chat - we then spotted Statss (from the hair of course :D) and lined up with the rest of the crew.

1k - 3k
    Got a good start and made sure I didn't use too much energy weaving around slower runners and waited for the race to settle down. Outforarun got off to a flyer so I made sure I kept him in sight and had Statss on my shoulder so knew pace was fairly ok. 1st k was 4:00 so delighted with that. Felt really good now and the second k out on the dual carriageway was the first time I had open road and moved up a good few places. 2nd k was done in 3:45 and 3rd in 3:52. Felt strong and delighted to have 23 seconds banked at this stage. At the end of the 3rd k Dave McMahon flew past me but wisely didn't try to keep him in sight.

4k-8k

Knew this would be the tough bit of the course so settled down and just focussed on the next steps, didn't bother stopping for water and tacked on to the end of a group that was running well. Lost a wee bit of time on the 5th k but not too worried as the half-way mark hit me by surprise as that k flew by. 6th was a shade off pace too but the confidence of having time banked really helped me here. The next 2ks were tough enough and I lost a bit of time and concentration going through the civil defence hosing down area - was very welcome too :D. For some strange reason I took a last minute decision to take water on board at the water table - got two gulps down me before realised the group I was running in was about 100mtrs down the road ahead of me.

9k-10k

Gave myself a severe talking too after this and concentrated on reeling in the group. I think I was subconsciously trying to sabotage myself by stopping for water :eek:. But I realised that nobody had passed me in about 4k and I was a minute ahead of my Dunboyne 5 mile time at 5 mile.

Although I was really finding it tough I focused on the breathing and anytime I felt really bad I sped up and tried to reel in the next person in front of me. Seen outforarun ahead of me at this stage and and this gave me a boost as I could see how well he was running. Hit the 9k mark where tons of people were supporting and this gave me a real lift. Knew there was a hill somewhere on the last k but was horrified when I hit it - legs were like mush and it seemed to go on for ever. I nearly stumbled at one stage and glanced at the watch. Seen 9:65k on it and just focused on getting home. Was too drained to even try a fast finish but seen the clock on the home straight and gave a little spurt as I knew I was close to the sub-40.

Clock read 39:5x as I came to the line so I knew I had made it. For the first time I crossed the line with the arms in the air. Quick check of the Garmin confirmed the sub-40. Outforarun had finished just ahead of me and we met the rest of the lads and had a quick chat. Some great running from lots of boardsies and nice to meet so many faces - most for the first time too.

Post match analysis:

Absolutely delighted with this and chuffed to get the monkey of my back with a 42 second PB. I feel I have made a real breakthrough on the mental side of running today and this is the start of some good things running wise.

I have 7 weeks of this cycle left and will keep up with it and do as many 5ks as I can between now and the end of the cycle which will finish with the lakes 10k.

Congrats, truly deserved.

statss wrote: »
    Well executed TJ, delighted for ya. You might be on to something about your morning v evening race theory.

Has to be something to it. Would explain why I felt great yesterday vs Dunboyne when I felt so lethargic and you had an off day yesterday (but still managed a PB) after a flyer in Dunboyne. Yesterday isn't an accurate reflection of where you are at. Find an evening race (and get some sleep the previous night) and blitz that sub 40 - then we can have a race to the first sub 90 HM!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Build-up:

Pre-Race:

1k - 3k

4k-8k

9k-10k

Post match analysis:

Fantastic Tom, well deserved

• Advertisement

5 mile Easy:

Had a few beers last night so treated myself to a lie in this morning. Got out at lunchtime instead and done a 5 mile loop close to the office. It was very hot and close so kept the pace relatively easy. Was happy just trundling along. Legs were heavy at the start but were feeling better by the time I finished.

Average pace was 8:25

Have also settled on the next few races to take me to the end of the JD plan.

8th August - Streets of Athboy 5km
    13th August - Castlepollard 5km
    24th August - Celbridge 5km
    6th September - The Lakes 10km

Also toying with the idea of doing Athlone Half on 13th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

24th August - Celbridge 5km

Good stuff. Its a fairly fast course with km 2-4 being more or less down hill. I'll either be running it or helping out on the day haven't decided yet.

Good stuff. Its a fairly fast course with km 2-4 being more or less down hill. I'll either be running it or helping out on the day haven't decided yet.

Good stuff- that may well be my sub 19 race so!! :D

Good stuff- that may well be my sub 19 race so!! :D

Give me a shout if you want the garmin link to the course.

Give me a shout if you want the garmin link to the course.

That would be great to get Dave - appreciate it.

That would be great to get Dave - appreciate it.

Celbridge 5k 2012

Its from 2012 as I didn't wear the watch last year but the course is the same.

5 mile easy with 9 x 15 sec strides:

Out nice and early again to do this but the humidity was still ridiculous :eek:. Kept the pace nice and slowly to ease the legs back after Sunday. Felt nice and easy and threw in 9 x 15 second strides at 10k pace over the last mile or so.

Average Pace was 8:23

Hopefully see you at the Streets of Athboy so TJ, looks like a nice flat route.

Week 12 Q2 Session - 2E, 6 x 3min @ HMP w 2min jg, 2E

Am on the final week of Phase III of the JD plan and I was warned here at the start of the plan to be careful of being burnt out by it. Thankfully it gets a wee bit easier from next week because I'm starting to feel jaded by the plan - no doubt it has brought me on massively but it is a toughie. Although the humidity and early starts are probably a factor too.

For the first time in a long while i just didn't want to get out of bed this morning, got up eventually after the third snooze and only beacuse I knew this wouldn't get done if i didn't.

Slowly ran down to the track and realised that the gates were locked - amazingly resisted the temptation to go back home to bed and instead scaled the wall to get into the track. I don't think I'd make a good burglar though from the noise I was making and I failed the first two attempts to get over the wall :o:o:D

2 mile easy was done @ 8:30 pace and I was already sweating buckets!!

Done the 6 HMP reps around the track. Forgot garmin so a bit of guessing about the pace but all felt fairly comfortable and apart from first rep - 800mtrs in 3 mins (way too quick!) they were all just under HMP.

Was melting in the humidity by this stage so just done a one mile slow run home - up a horrible hill too @ 8:45 pace.

Have a 5x 1mile tempo in the plan for tomorrow - might move it on a day if still not feeling the love tomorrow.

Total: 8 miles

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Well done Tom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement