Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good man. Super work and well deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Super stuff, very well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Fantastic and well deserved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Nice one. Delighted for you

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Good man TJ, you deserve that result with all the hard work you have been putting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Great work going on here over the last while. Well done J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Fantastic time Tom, well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done Tom, new target and new log title now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Fair play TJ well deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Super stuff TJ. Nice to know there's a bit more in the tank - something to think about when setting the next target!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Well done, never in doubt......

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Well done on the running, shameful work on the six pack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

cianc wrote: »
    Well done on the running, shameful work on the six pack!

Ha thanks - did manage to finish the 6 pack (last night :o:o) - think I got the pacing all wrong!

15 mile LSR @ 8:05 pace

Had other stuff on yesterday and was feeling a bit creaky so decided it would be no harm to take a rest day.

Legs were still feeling the effects of the race this morning but headed out in the lashing rain anyway. Started off nice and slow and gradually the pace crept up as the miles went by. Have never got as wet on a run and had to stop twice to wring out the running top as it was weighing me down so much :eek:. Also stepped in a few deep puddles so last few miles were very squelchy.

Still nice to get this done and out of the way early - felt fresh and comfortable and even managed the last mile @ 7:25 pace. Home for the longest hot shower ever to get myself feeling human again.

Total weekly mileage was 37 miles - not the best mileage week but a good week nonetheless and a nice 5k PB in the bag.

Am debating giving the 5k on Wednesday night a miss as I feel I have a lot of niggles and am on the edge of an injury. Might get a sports massage done instead and focus on getting another good LSR done next weekend. Also need to figure out a new set of targets and might bow to the pressure and change the log title too - suggestions always welcome :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

As i was saying to you on Friday evening, i think that 5k is on the bumpy side. Maybe give it a miss get the massage and set yourself up right for the Celbridge 5k a course you know and one you can run a faster time on. Just my two cents.

tang1 wrote: »
    As i was saying to you on Friday evening, i think that 5k is on the bumpy side. Maybe give it a miss get the massage and set yourself up right for the Celbridge 5k a course you know and one you can run a faster time on. Just my two cents.

Cheers Tang that's in my head too that it's probably not a PB course so all in all it's probably not worth the risk whereas Celbridge looks like a good PB course and gives the body a bit of time to recover.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Cheers Tang that's in my head too that it's probably not a PB course so all in all it's probably not worth the risk whereas Celbridge looks like a good PB course and gives the body a bit of time to recover.

As you said your body has a few niggles & could be on the border of an injury, the rest will sort that out for you hopefully and give you a good stab at 18.30 or below in Celbridge. Be few better runners in Celbridge than Friday evening that will pull you around to a better time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Belated congrats on the sub 19. I never doubted you'd do it. For me the thing that stands out from the race report is how easy you made it sound. What are the new targets looking like? I'd agree with tang1, you're in great position to go under 18:30.

5.2 mile easy with 6 x 20sec strides:

Finally got out for this on my third attempt after some biblical showers. Pressed for time so just jogged down to the local pitch - 1 mile there and back and 13 laps of the pitch (miscounted :o). Threw in 6 strides over the last mile and the few niggles were no worse during this. Will do session tomorrow. Average Pace was 8:06

• Advertisement

outforarun wrote: »
    Belated congrats on the sub 19. I never doubted you'd do it. For me the thing that stands out from the race report is how easy you made it sound. What are the new targets looking like? I'd agree with tang1, you're in great position to go under 18:30.

Cheers outforarun. Haven't finalised my longterm plans yet - torn between just going back to Phase II of the JD plan after this phase ends and trying something different like macmillan sessions for six weeks or so and then just focussing on building mileage over the winter.

Short term goals are (I think!!)
    Celbridge 24th - 18:29
    Blessington 6th Sept - 38:59
    Athlone HM 13th Sept - 1:28:59

Blessington 6th Sept - 38:59

Snap

outforarun wrote: »
    Snap

Snap x 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Any idea what the course in Blessington is like?? Hills??

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

It's not a bad course. Hill from about 6-7k and then downhill to the finish from there.

Here you go, from last year

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/372195322

It is a fair course I think. There is that hill before 7K. But aside from that it's mostly flat or downhill.

• Advertisement

Week 15: Q2 Session 5 x 1 Threshold with 1 min recoveries

Was tempted to give this a miss and just do an easy run but decided to go down to the track and do a 2 mile warm-up and if i felt good would do the session. Felt good after a slow 2 mile warm-up so decided to go for it. 5k result on Friday moved me another vdot so target was 6:32.

Splits were as follows:
    6:31 - felt nice and controlled
    6:25 - didn't feel any quicker
    6:26 - starting to feel it now
    6:28 - last 300mtrs were tough so surprised that time was ahead of target
    6:30 - legs like jelly for last lap and happy to get done.

Done a mile cool down and a fair bit of stretching. Will take the foam roller out tonight too.
    Enjoyed this session and glad I got it done :). 1 min recoveries were very quick though and it was quiet warm at the track.

Total: 8 mile

5.5 mile easy @ 8:35 pace

After a day painting fences was nice to get out for a run. Decided that as time was tight would just run down to the GAA pitch and do laps of it. Kept the pace nice and slow and thankfully no niggles at all after all the foam rolling. Another easy day tomorrow and a session on Friday.

Week 15 Q3 Session: 6x1k with 400mtr jog recovery

Been a few weeks since I done one of these Interval sessions and with the revised vdot rating was expecting this to be tough.

Drove down to the track and done a mile warm-up and a fair bit of stretching. Was surprised that it was quite windy at the track.

Reps were as follows (Target 3:44)

3:31 - :eek: :( Maybe I overthought how tough this should feel!! Was expecting to pay for this at the end.
    3:37 - still too quick but better
    3:39 - felt ok if a tad quick
    3:41 - tough one this and took a water break for 2 mins instead of 400mtr jog after it.
    3:38 - felt easier effort than previous so water water break helped :)
    3:42 - legs in bits for the last 400mtrs so surprised that this was on target.

A nice and slow 1 mile cool down before more stretching.

Was looking forward to my shower until i realised that it wasn't an electric shower and there was no hot water.(main shower out of commission as I re sealed it this morning) :mad::mad: Not happy stinky me for a while - thank god I have the day off :D:D

4 mile recovery @ 8:45 pace

Somehow managed to cram this into a mental day - kept the pace nice and slow and main objective was to get the legs moving. Hopefully it done the trick because I've a 16 mile run planned for tomorrow a.m.

16 mile LSR @ 8:12 pace:

Longest run before Athlone today and was consciously trying to keep the pace slower than previous LSR's with an eye on 5k race next weekend. Weather was nice when I headed off but after about 5 miles and just after taking a gel the heavens opened and the wind was driving the rain into my face (helped keep the pace down though!!) - was on the hard shoulder off the main road and was also getting drowned by passing cars :(. Rain lasted for about 2 miles and considered quiting a few times but it wasn't as if I could get any wetter at that stage!!

Sun came out just as quick as the rain had started so by mile 12 the gear (apart from my squelching runners :mad:) was bone dry. Started raining again at mile 14 and got another soaking before getting back to the car!! Was delighted to see a bowl of soup waiting for me when I got home :):).

Tough run, especially with the wind and rain but delighted to get this done and dusted.

Splits were 8:11; 7:57; 8:17; 8:19; 8:00; 8:10; 7:59; 8:09; 8:15; 8:17: 8:14; 8:16; 8:31; 8:26; 8:17; 7:55

Total weekly mileage: 45.7miles

• Advertisement

Was delighted to see a bowl of soup waiting for me when I got home :):).
    [/B]

Shes to good to you J, nice run. Your in great shape for Athlone.

Shes to good to you J, nice run. Your in great shape for Athlone.

I'm worth it!!! :pac: but yeah you're probably right :D also made me a nice smoothie with protein!!

5.2 miles Easy(ish) @ 8:06 pace

Got a call from one of the lads from the club to see if I was interested in doing a run this evening so said I would. There was 3 of us and we done a very hilly course around a local golf course. Really enjoyed this with the company and a nice challenging route. Pace didn't feel too difficult so was surprised when I checked the garmin at the end.

Will get in the habit of doing more of this runs with the clubmates as i never bother with hill training. Should also help come cross country season!!

4 mile Easy @ 8:13 pace

Too tired lazy to get out early this morning so went at lunchtime instead - just ran a wee loop near the office and kept the pace nice and easy. Celbridge is in doubt for the weekend but might have an alternative race tomorrow evening instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

You're doing a cross season this year TJ? Will it be your first?

pconn062 wrote: »
    You're doing a cross season this year TJ? Will it be your first?

Yeah going to do the cross country county championship with the club and looking forward to it. Ran the county novices last year (finished 4th but was later upgraded to 3rd) and really enjoyed it - despite my inexperience of cross country being blindingly obvious (wrong spikes, took a wrong turn twice :o, taking the wrong running line and miscounting the laps). I think I'm inellgible for novices this year so must check that out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Yeah going to do the cross country county championship with the club and looking forward to it. Ran the county novices last year (finished 4th but was later upgraded to 3rd) and really enjoyed it - despite my inexperience of cross country being blindingly obvious (wrong spikes, took a wrong turn twice :o, taking the wrong running line and miscounting the laps). I think I'm inellgible for novices this year so must check that out!

3rd in a county novice is very impressive, I've only managed to finish in the top 10 in our county novice. Hoping for top 5 or 6 this year. You would be ineligible for the novice alright, but you can still run the intermediate and senior races.

might have an alternative race tomorrow evening instead.

C/F/C/W 5k?

pconn062 wrote: »
    3rd in a county novice is very impressive, I've only managed to finish in the top 10 in our county novice. Hoping for top 5 or 6 this year. You would be ineligible for the novice alright, but you can still run the intermediate and senior races.

I think the standard here might be a lot lower though to be fair :o. Yeah going to run the masters and seniors - don't think we have an intermediate but not sure of that.

C/F/C/W 5k?

That's the one alright - do you know anything about it??

• Advertisement

That's the one alright - do you know anything about it??

Go into Peter Mooneys Flickr albums, he ran it last year and gave a description of the course as far as i remember.

Go into Peter Mooneys Flickr albums, he ran it last year and gave a description of the course as far as i remember.

Got that thanks Tang - probably not a PB course by the sounds of it but will probably give it a whirl anyway now that Celbridge is definitely off the table.

Best of luck later J, let us know how it goes.

Best of luck later J, let us know how it goes.

Cheers Tang - not putting too much pressure on tonight - will be a good workout if nothing else.

Finea 5k - 18:39 (15 sec PB & 9th Place)

Had only heard about this race at the weekend and only decided Monday night to do it as one of the lads from the club was also doing it so we were going to carpool. Having done 16 miles Sunday and a tough cross-countryesque hilly run on Monday the legs felt dead so wasn't feeling very confident. But had committed and Celbridge (which was the goal race) was a non-runner so decided to HTFU and just do it.

Got to Finea nice and early and registration was a doddle - done a nice 1.5 mile warm-up with club mate and legs were starting to feel better.

Race started promptly without a hitch and we went 250yrds down the road before turning around a cone and coming back - worked a lot smoother than expected! To my surprise by 500mtrs I was out on my own and caught between holding my pace and running on my own or catching up with the group ahead. Decided to catch up with group ahead and by 1k had caught the back of the group (3:36) Group spread out over the next km which was quite up and down and was running alongside a St.Brigids runner. We kept each other honest and it was good to have someone matching me stride for stride and passed 2nd km in 3:46. Was a nasty long drag at about 2.5k and knew the guy beside me was struggling badly and his breathing was getting heavier and heavier. Decided to see what he had and powered up the last of the hill - as I suspected he dropped back. Actually felt like a real runner for the first time. 3rd km 3:48

By now was focused on next guy ahead of me and as he was wearing GAA shorts figured I could reel him in. He knew what I was at and tried to pull away and we both passed the first female just before 4km mark. I managed to get by him at the 4km mark. 4th km - 3:46.

Knew the last km was tough so focused on holding my pace and form up the long drag with the idea of kicking for home at the downhill section. Started to struggle badly up the drag and got passed just before the top of the hill. If I felt relaxed at this point in Athboy I was the exact opposite here - legs were on fire, breathing was tough and was feeling wobbly. Thankfully road leveled out with 400 to go and tried to catch the guy who passed me. Meant I finished strong but he held me off. Last km 3:43.

Overall time was 18:39 which I was thrilled with giving the state of the legs, the hills etc, etc and there's lost more to come!!

Really enjoyed the race and great spread afterwards. Will be back next time :)

Well done sir, great to PB over a tough course like that and considering the mileage you have in the legs the past few days. Plenty more to come off that on a flatter 5k J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

lovely! congrats on the pb TJ!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Wow serious running from you this weather, congrats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Fantastic stuff Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

No stopping you these days, brilliant stuff and very well deserved!

Advertisement