Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done TJ.
    Nice PB ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice work, flying these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Congrats TJ - Well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great going there Tom - congrats on the PB, super time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Week 16: Q3 Session(ish!) - 6 Miles with 4 @ HMP

Took yesterday as a rest day after the race on Wednesday night. Would have been better served with a recover run yesterday because legs were feeling lethargic and heavy today.

Wasn't sure what to do as the race have thrown this weeks plan a wee bit. So eventually settled on doing 3 miles @ HMP (Plan had a steady 3 threshold so kind of on plan :p) with half an eye on Athlone.

Headed out at lunch break and done an easy one mile warm-up @ 7:50 pace. Legs felt a wee bit better after this so HMP effort felt ok. Done the three miles very comfortably and splits were 6:41; 6:37; 6:36. I was surprised how good I felt after the 3 so kept at HMP for another mile which was done in 6:36. Resisted the urge to do another few at that pace and instead done a mile cool down @ 7:40 pace.

Total: 6 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done J, great PB.

I'll have to arrange another date with you to get some speed lessons :)

TbL

Well done J, great PB.

TbL

Well done J, great PB.

TbL

Ha Ha - you're still quicker than me!! Good luck in Longford at the weekend!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Well done on the pb. Super stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Just read your race repot there T. Sounds like you were digging deep on that last hill. Great stuff, plenty more to come!

• Advertisement

LSR: 15 miles @ 8:02 pace

Out early for this - set the alarm for 6 AM and got the porridge into me and away out the door. Was surprised how cold it was for the first 4 or 5 miles but once the sun broke through it was a glorious morning and miles ticked by. Mornings like that were made for running. Took two gels in preparation for race day and they seemed to give me a wee boost. Nice strong finish too and felt very fresh over the last few miles.

All in all happy with the run and nice to get it out of the way early in the weekend - leaves Saturday evening free for guilt free beers and Match of the Day :D and reading race reports from the Frank Duffy.

Splits were 8:23; 8:02; 8:08; 8:10; 7:56; 8:02; 8:04; 7:50; 7:55; 8:00; 8:05; 8:06; 8:07; 8:00; 7:49.

4.1 miles easy @ 8:38 pace

Eventually got out for a run this evening - 5 mins after my tea though so kept it real slow. As I was a bit pressed for time I just ran down to the local GAA pitch and done 8 laps off it and 2 and a bit miles there and back.

Weekly Total: 40.3 miles and a PB :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Tom Joad wrote: »
    4.1 miles easy @ 8:38 pace

Eventually got out for a run this evening - 5 mins after my tea though so kept it real slow. As I was a bit pressed for time I just ran down to the local GAA pitch and done 8 laps off it and 2 and a bit miles there and back.

Weekly Total: 40.3 miles and a PB :D

And an All Ireland for the home county!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    And an All Ireland for the home county!!!

Absolutely :D:D Not everyday we win one of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Just read your 5K report. That's more proof of some cracking progress over the last weeks. I think you're in great shape ahead of Blessington. I'll be hoping to keep you in sight there.

5.1 mile very hilly @ 7:11 pace

Done this on the same route as last Monday's run around the local golf course only with a few clubmates. The pace was a lot faster though and this was tough with a lot of hills thrown in. Still enjoyed it and good to get some hill training in. Will move session to Wednesday now to allow legs to recover.

5 mile Easy @ 8:30 pace

First morning I needed the hi-viz vest in a while :(. Really dark when I got out but thankfully it was mild and just a light drizzle. Legs were tired from last nights run and it was less than 12 hours after that so kept the pace nice and slow. Uneventful run and had the streets to myself.

Week 17 Q2 Session 2 x 2miles T pace

Decided I needed a lie in this morning so waited until lunchtime to get out for this. Plan called for 2 x 2miles @ Threshold pace (6:26) with a 2 min recovery in between.

When I got down to the track I was surprised at how windy it was with the wind swirling strongly and some serious gusts too. Figured that it would be difficult to mainain an even pace so would focus more on effort than pace - what could possibly go wrong :D:D.

Done a nice and easy 1 mile warm-up at 8:05 pace and a fair bit of stretching before getting into it. Turned up the tunes a wee bit louder to drown out the wind - Aerosmith's Greatest hits was the album of choice for this.

Wasn't paying too much heed to the pace as I went around but had a glance at the watch after 1 mile and surprised to see 6:08. Slowed a wee bit over the second mile which was 6:23. Felt good after this and 2 min break seemed very long.

Into second set and wind had picked up a fair bit and again tried to focus on effort. 1st mile felt ok so was very surprised to see 6:09 this time!! At this stage I didn't bother trying to slow the second mile down too much and this was done in 6:15. Wind was really annoying me at this stage.

Done a one mile cool-down for a total of 6 miles.

Not the best session I've ever done and probably didn't get too much from it but given the conditions I'm happy enough with it.

what's up next for you TJ?

Duanington wrote: »
    what's up next for you TJ?

The Lakes 10k on the 6th Sept - Sub 39 target.
    Athlone HM on the 13th Sept - Sub 89 target
    Then 1 week off - drink my own body weight in beer target :D

• Advertisement

6 Miles Easy (with last one @ HMP)

Was in a few minds about what to do today as plan had 10 x 2 mins @ HMP with 1 min rests. But Mondays run felt like a session and between it and Wednesdays session the legs felt tired. Decided to see how I felt after 1 mile easy and take it from there. First mile was done @ 8:34 and really didn't think it was worth doing the HMP session with the legs so tired. Legs felt a wee bit better after 5 mile so done the last mile @ HMP.

Total 6 miles.

5 mile easy @ 8:30 pace

Had a million and one things to do today so got up at the crack of dawn for this. Took a while for the body to wake up so kept the pace nice and handy. During the run my 7 year old ipod died:( after a couple of major soakings lately.

12 Mile LSR @ 8:18 pace.

Had originally planned to do a 14 mile LSR today as the last long one before Athlone. Wanted to get out early to do this too. Was up and about early and got the porridge into me before heading off. Had a headache when I woke up and it didn't shift. Felt a bit lightheaded over the first few miles and knew I wasn't 100%. Took a gel after 5 miles and it definitely helped things. Decided to leave this at 12 miles as it was turning into a real slog.

In retrospect I didn't drink enough water yesterday and had a few beers last night so I think dehydration was the cause of the headache and the general sluggishness. Made sure to drink loads of water today and headache finally lifted.

Splits were - 8:10; 7:59; 8:14; 8:19; 8:18; 8:30; 8:20; 8:24; 8:35; 8:17; 8:27; 8:11.

Weekly total: 39.1 miles

End of August report

Another great month's running. Highest mileage ever @ 182.6, 2 5k PBs bringing 5k PB down to 18:39. Got some good solid LSR's in too with Athlone in mind. Also passed 1000 miles for the year.

September is all about 2 big target races. Lakes 10k with sub 39 the target and Athlone HM with sub 89 the target. Oh and change my log title :D

Will probably take a week off after Athlone and then back to Phase 2 of the Jack D plan.

Month|2013|2014
    January|57|177.2
    February|78|87
    March|87.45|148.25
    April|125.7|120.5
    May|117|94.45
    June|105|144.5
    July|125.5|182.5
    August|125.5|182.6
    September|112.5|
    October|160.5|
    November|148|
    December|144.5|
    Total|1386.65|1137

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Best of luck with those goals, no doubt you will smash them.

Do us a favour Tom and change your log title :P

I see your mileage was 0.1m higher in Aug.
    Nice work :)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Do us a favour Tom and change your log title :P

It's on the to do list for September :p

I see your mileage was 0.1m higher in Aug.
    Nice work :)

purely accidental I assure you - even I am not that anally retentive

• Advertisement

5 mile easy:

Headed down for the club session tonight to find that we were evicted for a GAA match - hate being second class citizens :mad:.

Had headed down early to do a few easy miles to loosen the legs so didn't find out training was cancelled until one of the lads arrived to let us know. All was not lost though and a few of us headed off for a nice and easy run.

Had no watch so no idea of the pace. Probably no harm not to have a club session tonight anyway.

Hi TJ
    Well? Saturday, how are we feeling?

outforarun wrote: »
    Hi TJ
    Well? Saturday, how are we feeling?

Still confident of 39 but just about. Haven't run since Monday due to a chest infection but think I got it in time so shouldn't affect me by the time Saturday comes around (although I reserve the right to use it as an excuse if things don't go to plan :p).

So no excuses and legs should be fresh. You feeling confident?

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Still confident of 39 but just about. Haven't run since Monday due to a chest infection but think I got it in time so shouldn't affect me by the time Saturday comes around (although I reserve the right to use it as an excuse if things don't go to plan :p).

So no excuses and legs should be fresh. You feeling confident?

Am I feeling confident? Not as much as I'd like (but don't tell yaboya1).
    I reckon we'll be within metres of each other most/all the way round.
    Starting to look forward to it now.

8 mile very hilly run:

Felt as if the chest infection was gone so always intended to get a run in this evening so when I got a text from one of the lads from the club to got for a bit of hill running I jumped at the chance. There was lots of climbing up to a folly that dominates the landscape near us but was worth it for the views from the top (allegedly you can see 8 counties from the top). The climb up and down took in about 5 miles and then had another testing hilly 3 miles back to my house.

Thoroughly enjoyed this run and nice to have the company as its not a route I would do on my own as i don't know the area well enough. Average pace was 8:28 and no ills effects from the chest so all is well for Saturday.

Will get out early tomorrow for 5-6 miles with a few strides.

4 mile easy with 5 x 15 second strides

Out nice and early this morning for this. Was ridiculously warm (15 degrees) even though it was still dark when I got out. Enjoyed this and kept it nice and slow. Forgot the garmin in my rush out the door but set the stopwatch on the phone so average pace was about 8:20 or so. Threw in 5 x 15 second (ish) strides at 10k pace to get the legs used to 10k pace again before tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Best of luck with the race, you will smash it.

Best of luck tomorrow TJ.
    The only thing that will surprise me is if you don't go sub 39 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck in the morning TJ.

Don't listen to the voices.
    You'll want to stop or slow down, but you won't. You won't.
    Trust the training.

Gluck and enjoy J, you're in great form lately.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Best of luck, I have complete faith in you! And I had enough disappointment last weekend so don't let me down. No pressure.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck. With that 5k pb, and the training behind you, you should be set.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Well? You're surely finished by now??

Cheers for the well wishes folks - much appreciated but I'm sorry to report that I done a Mayo/Dublin and fell well short.

Hobbled home in 40:42 after having to stop for well over a minute to try and stretch out a groin injury that I picked up hill running on Thursday evening. But in spite of that I'm happy with the run. When I was actually out running I was well on course and felt ok even with a crazy 3:32 opening k!!

Am reasonably confident that the injury is nothing serious (i think it may be just a flare up of a old football injury) although I am hobbling a fair bit since I got out of the car.

Great race and superbly organised - would recommend to everyone to do.

Onwards and upwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

40:42 ..... not too shabby! Hope the injury is nothing :)

Well done for keeping going Tom - many would have bailed! Nice time all considered

Hope the injury doesn't keep you off the roads for too long.

Great attitude. Back at it ASAP and don't waste the training.

Obviously when injury free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

A mere bump in the road, sure you still outdid your log title with a 1 minute pit stop! Mind yourself and make sure it doesn't get any worse, great to meet you again today and have the craic, big things on the way in the coming month and years J.

Unlucky today TJ.
    Still a very respectable run in the circumstances.
    Onwards & upwards as you say :)

The Lakes 10k - 40:42

After I had nailed the sub 40 in Fingal I had this race firmly in mind to go sub 39 which would be a nice way to round off the 18 week Jack Daniels plan. All the signs were good with two good 5k PBs in recent weeks and with 5k PB now 18:39 on a tough course was very confident coming into this.

That is until the running Gods conspired against me (rather than blame a couple of silly mistakes I made :rolleyes::)). Week started off with a chest infection but thankfully spotted it straight away and rested up and it didn't get in on me. Had intended on doing a run Thursday bit in hindsight running up a big hill with a 580ft elevation gain two days before a race when I have never done anything close was reckless to say the least :(.

Felt ok after it though and was happy that chest was good. Also got an easy 4 mile in Friday morning and all was good until I felt the tell tale signs of a groin strain by Friday lunchtime (had recurring groin strains when playing football so all too familiar with them).

There was no way though I was missing today so got to Blessington nice and early and was a bit worried at how sore i was when I got out of the car but lossened up fairly quickly. Done a lot of stretching and a few strides and all felt good. Met outforarun and overpronator and headed for the start line. Samba band leading us there was a nice touch. Bit of banter on the line with the lads and I was feeling nice and confident.

Got off to a nice start and got in a good position on the tail of a group of 4 or 5 - knew there was a bit of a gap behind me so held my position as it felt ok so imagine my surprise when I hit 1k at :eek: 3:32. Let the group ahead go off and slowed my pace as I knew that the pace was unsustainable. It meant I was out on my own but wasn't too worried as I figured that the group behind would catch up eventually. A bit happier when the 2nd k beeped at 3:49. Next two kms were a bit slower but I was ok with that as it was tough out on my own as was windy in places and was a lot happier when two runners passed me and I tailed on to there group at the end of the 4th km. (3:58, 4:05)

Was feeling good until I started to feel that the groin was sore and weak (hard to describe the feeling) and was getting worse with every step. Decided to keep the same pace until 5k and then reassess - 5th k was 3:59 so was bang on target and injury was getting no worse. There was a sharp turn at the 5k mark and as I turned I got a dart in the groin and took a decision to stop to try and stretch it out. A bit of a stretch definitely helped and when I heard a shout from Outforarun I decided to jump back in beside him. That was grand until I took a step to my right to get a bottle of water at the water station and I got another dart in the groin. I wouldn't mind I didn't even want to drink the water - wanted to pour it on my head!!

Had to pull up again for more stretching. Stretching definitely helped and got on the road again and focused on getting home. 6th K was done in 5:15 (with about 1:15 break :()

Got up the hill in ok shape even if I leaked a bit of time on it. Got a bit more confident with the injury as everything was ok if I kept going in a straight line and didn't make any sudden movements. Was out on my own again and wasn't paying much heed to my pace and was just focusing on passing people. At about 8k there was a Dunboyne girl ahead of me with a long gap to anyone else - I could see she was struggling so upped the pace to catch her and then slowed a bit and she followed me for a bit. Caught another few people before the line for a 40:42 finish.

(Last 4k 4:15; 3:55: 3:57: 3:56.)

Met up with Outforarun and Overpronator for a chat after the race (both lads had a great race:)) and hovered up some of the goodies on offer - a fantastic goodie bag too. Had to go into town so nice to have a bit of company with Outforarun in the car. Overpronator went to cheer his better half home.

I'm obviously disappointed by the result but given the circumstances I'm pleased with the performance especially after making the mistake of going off way too quick and getting caught in no mans land. Helped by a fantastically organised race - couldn't help but be in a good mood after it :D.

While I was very sore after the car trip back to Cavan and have a bit of a limp I'm still fairly confident that the injury is nothing serious and won't keep me from doing Athlone next weekend. Will be sensible during the week and hopefully will make the start line nice and fresh.

Today was just one of them days - need to find a nice 10k in the next month or so to put this right.

Onwards and upwards!

• Advertisement
Advertisement