Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Hard luck, it s there for the next day. Mind yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Unlucky today J, if bookies were offering odds on a sub 40 today you were my banker. Look after that injury, if your not right knock the Flatline on the head to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Hope the groin is feeling better. I reckon you had the sub 39 if it hadn't been for the injury, you looked strong while running. Fingers crossed you're back to 100% for Athlone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

5 miles @ 5:15 per km pace!!

Injury was sore yesterday so decided to abandon any thoughts of a long run and rest up instead - not ideal with Athlone in mind but priority is to get to the start line. Done a fair bit of foam rolling (not sure how much this helped as difficult area to get at!) and icing yesterday which helped. I also used biofreeze before going to bed which while it definitely helped I wouldn't recommend to anyone - it should definitely not be use that close to your nether regions :eek: - I now have a fair idea of what freezing your nuts off actually feels like!! :o:o Sweet jesus it's not nice!!

Anyhow felt a lot better this morning so brought the gear to work with the idea if injury felt ok I would go for an easy run. Everything felt fine so got out at lunch time for a nice and easy 5 mile (garmin was still on km since race so pace was in km). Felt good and no reaction for the injury.

Will continue to mind it and hopefully will be good to go for Athlone. :)

Tom Joad wrote: »
    5 miles @ 5:15 per km pace!!

Injury was sore yesterday so decided to abandon any thoughts of a long run and rest up instead - not ideal with Athlone in mind but priority is to get to the start line. Done a fair bit of foam rolling (not sure how much this helped as difficult area to get at!) and icing yesterday which helped. I also used biofreeze before going to bed which while it definitely helped I wouldn't recommend to anyone - it should definitely not be use that close to your nether regions :eek: - I now have a fair idea of what freezing your nuts off actually feels like!! :o:o Sweet jesus it's not nice!!

Anyhow felt a lot better this morning so brought the gear to work with the idea if injury felt ok I would go for an easy run. Everything felt fine so got out at lunch time for a nice and easy 5 mile (garmin was still on km since race so pace was in km). Felt good and no reaction for the injury.

Will continue to mind it and hopefully will be good to go for Athlone. :)
    You re a brave man! The things you do for running! Thanks for sharing though I had a good laugh!

6.7 miles Easy @ 8:16 pace

Didn't get out until this evening for this. Done some more icing of the injury today and it felt fine on the run so all looking good for Athlone:D. Kept the pace nice and easy and legs felt reasonably fresh.

Throwing this out there - am unsure as to what to do tomorrow. Trying to decide whether to just keep doing easy running for the rest of the week or to do some miles @ HMP tomorrow or some intervals :confused:. Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Easy miles J,

You've done plenty of faster stuff lately, don't see much benefit in doing quicker stuff at this stage, additionally you're minding a niggle.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Yeah, you only ran a 10k on Saturday. Easy miles all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I'd agree with the two lads here for what its worth TJ - you've nothing to gain and everything to lose from doing anything other than easy stuff at this stage. Plenty of speed in the legs already anyway, its all about getting to the start line fit and healthy.

For what it's worth, I've no niggles and bar a few strides tonight, its easy street all the way for me

• Advertisement

Cheers folks - appreciate the responses. Easy running from here to Saturday so and I won't feel guilty now :D

Cheers folks - appreciate the responses. Easy running from here to Saturday so and I won't feel guilty now :D

Yea and if you fock it up and it doesn't work out it's all Yaboya's and DD's fault :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Do a few strides J - going too easy will fcuk you up as well.
    I'd say strides on Wed & Friday(6x200m on Wed / 6x100 on Friday - ease into them)

5 mile Easy @ 8:20 pace

Up nice and early for this although it could have been the middle of the day with the brightness of the moon! Enjoyed this as pace was nice and comfortable and even though it was a bit chilly, the sun was starting to come up and you could tell it was going to be a cracking day. Also helped that I had a bit of the Stone Roses playing on the iPod..

Didn't see AMK's post until now so didn't do strides but will defo do some on Friday's run..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Best of luck for the weekend J, will be no bother for you if the leg plays ball. How's it feeling?

Best of luck for the weekend J, will be no bother for you if the leg plays ball. How's it feeling?

All good cheers OP have been minding it all week so hopefully will be ok on the day. Planning on a few strides in the morning and that will tell how it is for sure. Am confident it will be fine for Saturday.

• Advertisement

Good stuff:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of luck, the training will pay off

4 mile easy @ 8:29 pace with 6x 15sec strides

Got out before first light for this a bit reluctantly. Woke up with a sore throat :mad: but decided to go out anyway. Felt a bit sluggish but legs are fine and no reaction from the groin to doing strides. Will spent the day trying to nuke the start of a head cold before it gets in on me and then all systems go for Athlone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

4 mile easy @ 8:29 pace with 6x 15sec strides

Got out before first light for this a bit reluctantly. Woke up with a sore throat :mad: but decided to go out anyway. Felt a bit sluggish but legs are fine and no reaction from the groin to doing strides. Will spent the day trying to nuke the start of a head cold before it gets in on me and then all systems go for Athlone :D

Great stuff TJ - best of luck with Athlone.

Best of luck tomorrow J, give it socks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Good luck tomorrow TJ, it will be no bother to you.

Gold, Silver, Bronze?

Best of luck and enjoy it J.

TbL

outforarun wrote: »
    Gold, Silver, Bronze?

Gold - under 89!
    Silver - under 90!
    Bronze PB (Current one 90:13)

While McMillan has me down for a bit quicker based on 5k time, I haven't done any HM specific work so am banking on the training I've done in the JD plan getting me home. Fairly confident I can hit sub 89 and intend to enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Good man. Bring it home

Good luck tomorrow TJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Give it socks tomorrow TJ

Go nail it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Best of luck tomorrow Tom

Have a great race tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Hard luck today J, injury was obviously at you.

tang1 wrote: »
    Hard luck today J, injury was obviously at you.

Thanks Tang appreciate it- no excuses wheels came off after 9 miles and it was just a struggle to get home. Gutted but it's only a race. Still processing what went wrong to be honest..

1:33:11

Thanks Tang appreciate it- no excuses wheels came off after 9 miles and it was just a struggle to get home. Gutted but it's only a race. Still processing what went wrong to be honest..

1:33:11

Sorry to hear that Tom, I'd imagine the heat was a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Heat seems to have kicked everyone's ass today. I've read 5 logs where racing was on the agenda today. Nobody hit their target and 1 got a lift to the end in an ambulance. Don't dwell on it !

You'll be back TJ . Tough break today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Yeah TJ wouldn't even give this one two thoughts... Not one lad I know including loads of pretty quick ones ran well... Hell I didn't even make the finish line lol not a good day for racing long...

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Yeah TJ wouldn't even give this one two thoughts... Not one lad I know including loads of pretty quick ones ran well... Hell I didn't even make the finish line lol not a good day for racing long...

Appreciate that. Puts it all in perspective considering the day you had - hope you are on the mend now.

Athlone Half Marathon: 1:33:11

Not going to do a long report as I'm struggling to remember chunks of the race and then there are bits I'd rather not remember. But hearing the difficulties other people had puts my moaning in perspective.

I think the splits tell there own story on this one:
    6:40; 6:52; 6:46; 6:49; 6:36; 6:55; 6:51; 6:52; 6:54; 7:49; 7:40; 7:48; 7:36; 1:03.

Left the pacer at after 3 mile and started chasing down groups. Felt fantastic until mile 8 and was then out on my own for a mile. When I turned onto the main road I started to feel awful and could hear the 1:30 group bearing down on me - tried to latch on but knew by then that I was in trouble. Stepped into a field to answer the call of nature and the legs just stopped working when i got back on the road - nothing I could do to pick up the pace and limped home..

Was fairly gutted about it for a good while but the heat was obviously a massive factor and i should have just stayed with the pacer given the conditions - need to be smarter about this. Also think the lack of HM work caught me out too. Didn't take enough water on board during the race and managed to waste most of the first gel I took too!!

But I can say that I've never felt as rotten after a race and I was badly dehydrated until the last half hour or so. I even had to stop the car on the way home and take a nap for a half an hour which is something I never do.

In spite of all this looking forward to Athlone 2015 - really love this race and organisation is fantastic.

Had planned on taking a week off but am not going to do that now. Will be back to it on Monday - I have unfinished business with the 10k to sort out first. Also have the clubs race on the 13th October which I want to do well in.

Not sure what to do plan wise - whether to go back to Phase II of Jack D or try something different. Advice gratefully appreciated.

Oh and before yaboya get's on to me I will change the log title this week :D

Sounds like it was a remarkably difficult day J, fair play for finishing it out. I'm extremely nervous about next week now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

It's days like this that make the good days good.
    I'm sure you'll feel super motivated to make up for it.
    Us runners are a strange breed.

Regarding future plans, I wouldn't make plans for a couple of weeks and just go enjoy running.

I think you did remarkably well to keep going under the circumstances and I would nt go too hard next week either. Give yourself a chance to recover. Good things come to those who wait.

Hard luck TJ. Seems you weren't on your own. Fair play for sticking it out, those last few miles cannot have been fun. Was reading Duanington's report, where he mentioned how welcome a coke was at race-end. I never drink coke but I remember I would have killed for one after one of the marathons I ran in Cork, and after a 14 miler I did in a warm gym in Rome. Clearly sounds like dehydration got to you alright. Plenty of fluids this week.

5 miles @ 7:56
    Got out at lunchtime in the heat with no real plan in mind. Just ran for the sake of running and probably got a bit carried away over the last few miles but legs felt fine. :)

Will try and keep running easy for the rest of the week.

Just catching up now TJ (I see you still haven't changed the log title :p)
    Just to echo what's already been said about Saturday. It appears nobody hit their target, which would seem to suggest that it was a really tough day for racing and not one to dwell on too much. It's done with now. Onto the next one ;)

Nice log title!

• Advertisement

5 mile easy @ 8:30 pace

Got out nice and early to get this done. Was still pitch dark and very fog - it was like a scene from a Thomas Hardy novel. Kept the pace nice and easy and the legs felt good.

Finally got around to changing the log title. I was doing some googling of Jack Daniels plans and google threw up this cheesy country and western song and I couldn't resist using it :pac:. It is appropriate though as I plan to go back to phase II of the Jack D 10k plan and do another 18 week program with a target of knocking out some decent PB's in the spring. Will make a couple of tweaks to it with cross country season in mind and also intend to increase the mileage to target about 50 miles per week and get the LSR in the 13-18 range with half an eye on a half marathon.

Haven't definitely decided on races yet apart from the "Run with Catherina" 5k on the 12th October and the Jingles Bells 5k. Still on the lookout for a few 10ks and am tempted to do the Clontarf HM.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

5 mile easy @ 8:30 pace

Got out nice and early to get this done. Was still pitch dark and very fog - it was like a scene from a Thomas Hardy novel. Kept the pace nice and easy and the legs felt good.

Finally got around to changing the log title. I was doing some googling of Jack Daniels plans and google threw up this cheesy country and western song and I couldn't resist using it :pac:. It is appropriate though as I plan to go back to phase II of the Jack D 10k plan and do another 18 week program with a target of knocking out some decent PB's in the spring. Will make a couple of tweaks to it with cross country season in mind and also intend to increase the mileage to target about 50 miles per week and get the LSR in the 13-18 range with half an eye on a half marathon.

Haven't definitely decided on races yet apart from the "Run with Catherina" 5k on the 12th October and the Jingles Bells 5k. Still on the lookout for a few 10ks and am tempted to do the Clontarf HM.

Good stuff TJ. Are you sure about doing the Clontarf HM again? It's another HM where the weather can play havox on the day. Why not try the 5 miler (I may myself)as a gauge of where you are with the plan and 10k times and target something like Bohermeen next year. I think you are well able for the sub 90 for a HM but there's no point trying on a course that everyone finds a couple of minutes slower especially with having to run on the sand twice.

Good stuff TJ. Are you sure about doing the Clontarf HM again? It's another HM where the weather can play havox on the day. Why not try the 5 miler (I may myself)as a gauge of where you are with the plan and 10k times and target something like Bohermeen next year. I think you are well able for the sub 90 for a HM but there's no point trying on a course that everyone finds a couple of minutes slower especially with having to run on the sand twice.

Cheers dave - hope you are well on the way back from your injury woes.

I was tempted in order to tick the sub 1:30 box but I think you are bang on - too much risk just to tick a box. The 5 miler sounds like a good plan. :D - I assume it's along the seafront so would be nice and flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Cheers dave - hope you are well on the way back from your injury woes.

I was tempted in order to tick the sub 1:30 box but I think you are bang on - too much risk just to tick a box. The 5 miler sounds like a good plan. :D - I assume it's along the seafront so would be nice and flat?

I'm getting there slowly but at least I'm back running.

The 5 miler starts further back than the HM and runs up to the start of the beach (just after the wooden bridge). It turns around here and goes back and uses the same finish as the HM. Its nice and flat and only has about 50m on the sand at the turn. The rest is all on the paths.

3 miles easy:

Second run today. The club have started a learn to run program and were looking for volunteers to help so was happy to help out. Couple of warm-up laps and then lots of stretching followed by 6 x 3 mins intervals with 1 min walk recovery. Was asked to set a pace for the fastest runners so ran at my normal interval pace (after warning the people lining up behind me not to pass me out!!) and didn't look back until I had finished the long straight off the football field to realise that I was already 100mtrs ahead of the group I was meant to be pacing :o:o:o:o. Slowed down and apologised profusely for my mistake - in my defence I was asked to set a decent pace.

Learned my lessons for the next 5 reps and stayed just ahead of the group to keep them honest.

Really enjoyed this and a lot of people recognised me as the guy who runs around the town at crazy o clock in the morning. I'm a minor celebrity now :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement