Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Cheers - hoping to go sub 20 next time out - first big target of the year :)

Re the 5-aside - I'm far from an expert but in my opinion I would do better at the running if I didn't play the 5 aside - I've no doubt about that in my mind. BUT I love playing 5 aside and I can really enjoy playing it now my fitness is up so I still play twice a week except for recently.

I have an ongoing injury that only affects me when I play ball (basically when I'm kicking) - it doesn't affect me running at all so am laying off the ball for the foreseeable which will tell me a lot about combining the two and the effects on my time.

But I will combine the two in the future and to do this two things are key
    1. Stretching before and after ball
    2. Timing of running sessions after playing ball - If playing ball will either have the rest day or recovery run on a day after ball.

Its great in theory anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Re the 5-aside - I'm far from an expert but in my opinion I would do better at the running if I didn't play the 5 aside - I've no doubt about that in my mind. BUT I love playing 5 aside and I can really enjoy playing it now my fitness is up so I still play twice a week except for recently.

I have an ongoing injury that only affects me when I play ball (basically when I'm kicking) - it doesn't affect me running at all so am laying off the ball for the foreseeable which will tell me a lot about combining the two and the effects on my time.

But I will combine the two in the future and to do this two things are key
    1. Stretching before and after ball
    2. Timing of running sessions after playing ball - If playing ball will either have the rest day or recovery run on a day after ball.

Its great in theory anyway :D

I find that running has really helped my football, but football doesn't help my running. For the same reasons as you outline, I am reluctant to drop football though.

I do stretch before a game, but tend to neglect it afterwards.

I am trying to run five days a week, so if I do get two games a week (an admittedly rare occurance as more often than not one of the games is cancelled) I don't have any rest day.

druss wrote: »
    I find that running has really helped my football, but football doesn't help my running. For the same reasons as you outline, I am reluctant to drop football though.

I do stretch before a game, but tend to neglect it afterwards.

I am trying to run five days a week, so if I do get two games a week (an admittedly rare occurance as more often than not one of the games is cancelled) I don't have any rest day.

Exact same story - there will come a point where I will have to make a call as to whether I give up the ball or not as I can't play without giving a hundred percent and running around like a headless chicken :D

Another thing is that Astro is fine but I find the indoor football absolutely wrecks me - my physio reckoned that its a big no -no with running as it murders you joints so I don't play indoor anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

What half are you doing in August?

Darren 83 wrote: »
    What half are you doing in August?

Turns out none :D. Just checked was confusing the race series 10mile which is in August with the race series half-marathon which is 21st September. That's the plan but am going to be as flexible as possible..

• Advertisement

Turns out none :D. Just checked was confusing the race series 10mile which is in August with the race series half-marathon which is 21st September. That's the plan but am going to be as flexible as possible..

Plan to do the Dublin half as well, it was my first half last year great race I'd recommend doing it plenty of time to prepare for it

Plan to do the Dublin half as well, it was my first half last year great race I'd recommend doing it plenty of time to prepare for it

My one and only half marathon was the race series in 2010 and got a serious injury at the 10 mile mark (tibial band :mad:) and crawled home in 1:40 something so am hoping to post a big PB on that.. was injured in 2011 and 2012 for half marathons so third time lucky I hope.

When doing last years half I don't think I was properly prepared for it, was limping a bit during the week leading up to the race. I feel I can do a lot better this year. Been lucky without injury if I feel a niggle I will stop for a few days.

When doing last years half I don't think I was properly prepared for it, was limping a bit during the week leading up to the race. I feel I can do a lot better this year. Been lucky without injury if I feel a niggle I will stop for a few days.

Sensible approach - to be honest a lot of my injuries came from trying to do too much too soon esp with half marathon. This log has got me disciplined and following a plan so hopefully it will pay off - hopefully it will be the same for you and your log.. :)

3.13 Miles in 24:20 (7:46 pace) - lovely clear morning for a run bitter cold though!! :)

• Advertisement

5 mile fast in the plan...

36: 14 (7:15 pace) delighted with this run as it was over a hilly course I'd never done before so feeling confident about next weeks race now. :)

LSR (a day late!)

7.03 miles in 53:27 (7:36 pace) - picked a brand new route that I had never done before to freshen things up and just ran without checking time or pace - felt good at the way around so pleasantly surprised to see how quick I went.

Weekly Total: 5 sessions 23.16 miles

This week will be a low mileage to be ready for 5k on Sunday

3.11 Mile in 23:15 (7:29 pace) - felt good and decent pace so happy days...

3.11 Mile in 23:15 (7:29 pace) - felt good and decent pace so happy days...

Are you not tapering this week?

Are you not tapering this week?

Yep - a 30min tempo tomorrow and a 2 mile on Thursday and that's me set for Sunday touch wood. How are your plans going for the half?

Yep - a 30min tempo tomorrow and a 2 mile on Thursday and that's me set for Sunday touch wood. How are your plans going for the half?

Just taking it easy this week

Forgot to update last night

Swopped around sessions due to babysitting duties/ time pressure

uneventful 2 mile on the treadmill @ 7:45 pace

Will do 30min tempo session this evening and that's me ready for Sunday

Forgot to update last night

Swopped around sessions due to babysitting duties/ time pressure

uneventful 2 mile on the treadmill @ 7:45 pace

Will do 30min tempo session this evening and that's me ready for Sunday

Have you a plan for he 5k?

Have you a plan for he 5k?

Using the Hal higdion 5k intermediate plan..

30 min tempo

1.1miles - 9:30 mins, 1.65 miles - 10 mins, 1.1 miles - 9:00mins

Total 3.85 miles in 28:30 mins

Happy with this session and while tough could hold the fast tempo pace - if i can hold that pace for another 10 mins will be under 20 mins on Sunday. - sounds good in theory.

Two rest days now which I'm looking forward to.

• Advertisement

February Total: 78.03 miles

All set for the race?

All set for the race?

I hope so - getting a wee bit nervous tbh but am feeling confident that I will get a PB - just hope I have done enough to get under the 20..

How you feeling about the half?

I hope so - getting a wee bit nervous tbh but am feeling confident that I will get a PB - just hope I have done enough to get under the 20..

How you feeling about the half?

Looking forward to it, should beat last years time

Will do a proper race report in the morning - am wrecked and had visitors all day when i landed home - spent the afternoon running after a few wired toddlers :D:D.

Anyhow absolutely thrilled with my new PB of 19:35 - 36 secs shaved off previous best. Off now to research my training plan for K club 10k and my stab at sub 40..

Will do a proper race report in the morning - am wrecked and had visitors all day when i landed home - spent the afternoon running after a few wired toddlers :D:D.

Anyhow absolutely thrilled with my new PB of 19:35 - 36 secs shaved off previous best. Off now to research my training plan for K club 10k and my stab at sub 40..

Well done on the pb

Bohermeen 5k 3rd March 2013

Was feeling good and confident going into this. My previous PB had come back in late 2011 (20:11) and was injured going into that race and my training had gone really well.

Set out early Sunday morning - google maps said 1hr from my house to bohermeen so gave it 1hr 40 and thanks God I did as I took a wrong turn in Kells and had to stop for directions twice :eek:. But eventually got there, parked up and headed for community centre. Heard that 5k was delayed to allow half marathoners to go through so gave myself plenty of time to warm up and stretch.

Eventually after half marathon went through, 5k started in no time, caught me a bit by surprise as I was dawdling- anyway off we went, realised I was boxed in and had to fight my way out, eventually after 400mtrs had clear road, looked at watch and realised I had knocked it off after 25secs. Not to worry had Nike+ as back up and knew that there would be km markers. Settled into a nice rhythm and was feeling good, got to 1km in 3:40 so tried to slow down a wee bit but was running well with another young lad beside me matching strides, we got to 2km in 7:30 and still felt good, 3km marker came from nowhere and time was 11:25 so starting to feel really good. Young lad beside me obviously felt that way too and pushed on but my legs didn't have it in them and started to feel the pace. Got passed by a young girl absolutely flying and tried to follow her but that was foolish so allowed the group coming behind me to catch up.

Looked at watch 16:15 :eek: - crap, had I slowed that much or did I miss the 4km marker - could I have just arsed up the whole thing.

Some people ahead of me were obviously feeling the pace too and slowing so said I would just man up and keep going - tried to up the pace and then seen the crowd ahead and realised must be close. Quick check of the watch told me 18:30- thought bloody hell this could be quick - upped the pace again and felt the burn, took the turn (nearly landed on my face), legs were buckling now but got the last out of them as we came onto the track, nearly dived over the line as the announcer called me at 19:35..:D:D

Was delighted with that as a result and the good solid training I had put in - unfortunately couldn't stick around for the goodies so back to the car and the drive home and planning my assault on a sub 40 10k.

So KClub on 20th April is the target and training starts tomorrow - need to work on my plan today and give my aching legs a break..

Bohermeen 5k 3rd March 2013

Was feeling good and confident going into this. My previous PB had come back in late 2011 (20:11) and was injured going into that race and my training had gone really well.

Set out early Sunday morning - google maps said 1hr from my house to bohermeen so gave it 1hr 40 and thanks God I did as I took a wrong turn in Kells and had to stop for directions twice :eek:. But eventually got there, parked up and headed for community centre. Heard that 5k was delayed to allow half marathoners to go through so gave myself plenty of time to warm up and stretch.

Eventually after half marathon went through, 5k started in no time, caught me a bit by surprise as I was dawdling- anyway off we went, realised I was boxed in and had to fight my way out, eventually after 400mtrs had clear road,
    looked at watch and realised I had knocked it off after 25secs. Not to worry had Nike+ as back up and knew that there would be km markers. Settled into a nice rhythm and was feeling good, got to 1km in 3:40 so tried to slow down a wee bit but was running well with another young lad beside me matching strides, we got to 2km in 7:30 and still felt good, 3km marker came from nowhere and time was 11:25 so starting to feel really good. Young lad beside me obviously felt that way too and pushed on but my legs didn't have it in them and started to feel the pace. Got passed by a young girl absolutely flying and tried to follow her but that was foolish so allowed the group coming behind me to catch up.

Looked at watch 16:15 :eek: - crap, had I slowed that much or did I miss the 4km marker - could I have just arsed up the whole thing.

Some people ahead of me were obviously feeling the pace too and slowing so said I would just man up and keep going - tried to up the pace and then seen the crowd ahead and realised must be close. Quick check of the watch told me 18:30- thought bloody hell this could be quick - upped the pace again and felt the burn, took the turn (nearly landed on my face), legs were buckling now but got the last out of them as we came onto the track, nearly dived over the line as the announcer called me at 19:35..:D:D

Was delighted with that as a result and the good solid training I had put in - unfortunately couldn't stick around for the goodies so back to the car and the drive home and planning my assault on a sub 40 10k.

So KClub on 20th April is the target and training starts tomorrow - need to work on my plan today and give my aching legs a break..

Well done a great 5k time

4 mile in 31:20 (7:50 pace) - legs were very heavy and tired tonight so just got this run done and plenty of stretching afterwards.

• Advertisement

4 mile in 31:40 (7:55 pace) Legs still a bit tired and heavy so swopped days around - will do speed work tomorrow..

Advertisement