Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

8 * 400mtrs (all between 1:19 and 1:22) felt bloody tough but glad to get it done - horrible morning for it too.

Looking forward to my rest day tomorrow - felt I've earned it this week - still amazed how much a 5k race has taken out of me. :confused:

Total: 5 miles (incl warm-up down, recovery)

Plan had me down for 60 mins cross training tomorrow - got a call to play five a side today so that box is ticked. Feel stiff and sore after it..

6 Mile in 47:10 - massive struggle to be honest. Legs felt heavy, was a bit sore after football friday, generally feeling sorry for myself and weather was manky - cheerful soul today I am :D:D

Anyway I got it done and lived to fight another day..

Weekly total: 19 miles and a game of ball - will need a big increase in mileage over next few weeks..

4 Mile run 30:55 (7:43 pace) felt good tonight and no aches or heavy legs - bitterly cold but glad to get out.

In other news got registered with an Athletic Club and signed up to race in a 5k for the club on easter Sunday :eek: :eek:. Sometimes its nice to get a gently shove :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Tom Joad wrote: »
    4 Mile run 30:55 (7:43 pace) felt good tonight and no aches or heavy legs - bitterly cold but glad to get out.

In other news got registered with an Athletic Club and signed up to race in a 5k for the club on easter Sunday :eek: :eek:. Sometimes its nice to get a gently shove :D

What 10k plan are you following?

• Advertisement

loosely following hal higdion 10k intermediate but trying to increase the mileage where I can. Was toying with replacing the cross-training day with some of the mcmillan sessions but have come to the conclusion that it might be a bit soon. Have at least 3 10ks planned for this year so while goal is to do a sub 40 at the Kclub i'm not going to wreck myself trying but being stupid (been there before!!) knowing that there will be other days. I have also joined an Athletic Club (still trying to figure out how that happened :)) so all is a wee bit up in the air at the minute - I'm signed up now for a 5k on Easter Sunday so may have to tinker with the plan!!

Sorry for the long winded answer!!!

4 mile in 30:05 (7:36 pace) felt good tonight and plenty in the legs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Where is the 5k Easter Sunday?

It's in Crover house, Mountnugent, Co. Cavan (part of the Cavan winter league)

Under pressure timewise so 30 mins tempo run tonight.

10 mins - 1.2 miles
    10 mins - 1.6 miles (5k miles)
    10 mins - 1.2 miles

30 mins - 4 miles

Happy with that - felt good belting out the 10mins at 5k pace - now to watch the end of the Champions League....

• Advertisement

2.6 miles in 10 mins?? :eek:

beeduybe wrote: »
    2.6 miles in 10 mins?? :eek:

Oops - quick edit -I still have my Nike+ on Km's since the 5k in Bohermeen- something went awry in the conversions:D.

Oops - quick edit -I still have my Nike+ on Km's since the 5k in Bohermeen- something went awry in the conversions:D.

I thought sub 4 minute mile pace might have been a tad quick for a tempo run :)

I thought sub 4 minute mile pace might have been a tad quick for a tempo run :)

Or any kind of a run more than 10mtrs for me :). How's your training going for KClub?

How's your training going for KClub?

It's going pretty well. The Daniels sessions seem to be bringing me on a lot and I've noticed the interval pace has been getting a bit quicker than it was a month ago for the same effort. I should be able to have a good crack at getting under 40 mins but we will see on the day. Will probably race the Dunboyne 4 miler on Sunday week to give me some race practice beforehand too.

Have you any plans for after the K Club or going to continue on with the HH intermediate plan?

It's going pretty well. The Daniels sessions seem to be bringing me on a lot and I've noticed the interval pace has been getting a bit quicker than it was a month ago for the same effort. I should be able to have a good crack at getting under 40 mins but we will see on the day. Will probably race the Dunboyne 4 miler on Sunday week to give me some race practice beforehand too.

Have you any plans for after the K Club or going to continue on with the HH intermediate plan?

Looking at your training sub-40 will be no problem to you - good to see you getting the results from all the hard work...

My plans after KClub are pretty much 5k in May with club (club sponsored event locally), Race series (minus the marathon!!) and then will reassess.

Will see how I get on at KClub -I'm determined to get as close to sub 40 as possible but I know my training is not optimal for that but I've been here before and don't want to risk injury by doing too much. I'm enjoying the flexibility of the HH plan also. I will be doing sessions with the club from next week so that will tell me a lot about where I am too but I would hope to use either Daniels or the McMillan plan to start getting times down over 5k and 10k.

I always have my cunning Plan B for the Kclub sub-40 attempt (haven't perfected it yet but will involve yourself and RunningKing dragging me over the line with plenty to spare :cool:)

Moved rest day to yesterday as I was volunteered to play 5-aside ball today. Tough game and was knackered after it but no twinges or knocks so happy days. Just means that I have runs tomorrow and Sunday to be followed by club session on Monday :eek:

4 Mile in 30:30 (7:37 pace) - that was bloody tough - struggled the whole way around and got a strange pain in my shoulder for last mile - was nearly enough to make me stop but kept going - will have to keep an eye on that one..

What a difference a day makes.

Headed out early this morning - before anyone got up and without breakfast. (oh yeah and had a feed of beer last night too!!) picked a brand new route that i wasn't even sure where it went - just belted out the miles feeling good, wasn't checking the watch at all.

Eventually got back to the car after 8.5 miles in 1hr 6mins (pace 7:46)

Weekly Total: 24.5 miles and a hour's 5 a-side..

4 Mile in 21:32 (7:53 pace) - nice easy recovery run in the rain and cold and then more rain :mad:. Was bloody freezing but treated myself to my first chinese takeaway in 4 years :eek: afterwards..

• Advertisement

4 Mile in 21:32 (7:53 pace) - nice easy recovery run in the rain and cold and then more rain :mad:. Was bloody freezing but treated myself to my first chinese takeaway in 4 years :eek: afterwards..

How was the take away?

You'll be sorry you asked :D ... fecking gorgeous at the time - house special satay with egg fried rice and helped the young lad finish his chips - was fit to explode after it... All well until middle of the night and stomach was in ribbons - had 2 hours kip.

Used to live on takeaways and now can't eat one :rolleyes: Must have been a shock to the system after all this healthy living.:)

With all the talk off food nearly forgot to log today's run... :)

Decided I would go quicken the pace as it was so cold - was quite pleased with it as well - ended up doing 5 mile in 36:16 (7:15 pace)..

You'll be sorry you asked :D ... fecking gorgeous at the time - house special satay with egg fried rice and helped the young lad finish his chips - was fit to explode after it... All well until middle of the night and stomach was in ribbons - had 2 hours kip.

Used to live on takeaways and now can't eat one :rolleyes: Must have been a shock to the system after all this healthy living.:)

I'm hungry now:D don't know how you ran after a take away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Sami23

keep it up

Intervals this morning in artic conditions...

9x 400mtrs (all between 1:20 and 1:22) - happy with consistency. It was tough but that was more to do with the weather and wind that would cut you in half!!

Done 1 mile warm up and 400 metres jogs between intervals

Total: 5.5 miles.

0.23 Mile in 17 minutes (not even going to guess pace but does include putting a bin away - is that cross-training?? :D) - Got walloped by a neighbours bin in the side :eek: so put bin away and went home to wife who was waiting with I told you so look. A bin in the side if feckin sore by the way!!

Football cancelled today so really wanted to get out today - will have another go tomorrow - surely it can't be as bad as this!!

0.23 Mile in 17 minutes (not even going to guess pace but does include putting a bin away - is that cross-training?? :D) - Got walloped by a neighbours bin in the side :eek: so put bin away and went home to wife who was waiting with I told you so look. A bin in the side if feckin sore by the way!!

Football cancelled today so really wanted to get out today - will have another go tomorrow - surely it can't be as bad as this!!

What type of stretches do you do before your run?

Something I'm not great at except before speed work where I do a warm-up run then stretch quads, hamstrings, calves, tibial band and lunges. Usually about a minute of each. Before normal run its usually quads, hamstrings and calves - usually spend about 5 mins doing these..

• Advertisement

Weather marginally better today so got out for 5 mile run in 38:10 (7:37 pace). Tough going as it was still very windy and bitterly cold but got out early and got it done..

Advertisement