Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

LSR

9.25 miles in 71 mins (7:44 pace) - Delighted with that - weather was baltic and seemed to be either running uphill or into the wind all the time. Was surprised at time in the end as I felt strong and comfortable the whole way around - felt like I could have done same again :eek:

Highest mileage of the year so happy with that - next week will be low mileage with race on Sunday
    Weekly total: 28.75 miles

1st athletic club training in 20 years tonight :eek::eek:

And amazingly really enjoyed it and didn't struggle too much - loads of core work and speed work followed by a warm down run in the snow!! - Done another quick run when I got home to loosen the legs..

Also discovered that it is in fact a 10km I'm signed up for on Sunday with the club - need to confirm this though!!

Total 5 miles

Sore since training on Monday night so only got out today to loosen the limbs. Done 5 mile in 39mins flat (7:48 pace). Happy enough with this as it took 2 miles for limbs to loosen up and it was bitterly cold.

Also panic over, it is a 5k race on Sunday - age categories seem to vary between events :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Sore since training on Monday night so only got out today to loosen the limbs. Done 5 mile in 39mins flat (7:48 pace). Happy enough with this as it took 2 miles for limbs to loosen up and it was bitterly cold.

Also panic over, it is a 5k race on Sunday - age categories seem to vary between events :confused::confused:

Id say you would be well set for a 10k :D

I'm sure i'd hobble around alright but will settle for a 5k thanks :D

• Advertisement

I'm sure i'd hobble around alright but will settle for a 5k thanks :D

I have to cut back on my running felt I was nearly burnt out 5 days is to much

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I have to cut back on my running felt I was nearly burnt out 5 days is to much

You in a bit of a rut?? Must catch up with your log - barely get time lately to catch up with anything!!

You in a bit of a rut?? Must catch up with your log - barely get time lately to catch up with anything!!

I think I went to fast going from 3 -5 days a week, I feel I'm not going forward just at a stand still

I think I went to fast going from 3 -5 days a week, I feel I'm not going forward just at a stand still

You could be on to something there but I also think (and I'm by no means an expert) that you are going too fast in your runs given the times you are targetting.

Do what feels comfortable to you re days a week and the gym - i've learned to listen to the body.

You're only starting out and its natural to get in a rut once the euphoria of the first big target race is out of the way -that's human nature and it will pass. You need a new target and train for that.

Also don't be too hard on yourself - you are doing great work. Whilst it great to be readin other peoples logs sometimes that competitive nature gets in the way and we start thinking I should be doing that session etc, etc.

Short version - pick a race, pick a plan that suits the 3 day a week you want to run and go for it and enjoy - remember the buzz you had in Bohermeen..:D

You could be on to something there but I also think (and I'm by no means an expert) that you are going too fast in your runs given the times you are targetting.

Do what feels comfortable to you re days a week and the gym - i've learned to listen to the body.

You're only starting out and its natural to get in a rut once the euphoria of the first big target race is out of the way -that's human nature and it will pass. You need a new target and train for that.

Also don't be too hard on yourself - you are doing great work. Whilst it great to be readin other peoples logs sometimes that competitive nature gets in the way and we start thinking I should be doing that session etc, etc.

Short version - pick a race, pick a plan that suits the 3 day a week you want to run and go for it and enjoy - remember the buzz you had in Bohermeen..:D

I've a 10k 5 of May home race, I felt when doing 3 days running a week a achieved more. I know i will have to do 4 days a week for DCM

• Advertisement

I've a 10k 5 of May home race, I felt when doing 3 days running a week a achieved more. I know i will have to do 4 days a week for DCM

Good stuff - that's something to aim for - are you targetting sub 50 for this.

Don't see why you can't achieve your goals on 3 days a week running especially given the base work you have done.

Good stuff - that's something to aim for - are you targetting sub 50 for this.

Don't see why you can't achieve your goals on 3 days a week running especially given the base work you have done.

Hopefully sub 50, whats next after the 5k for you

10k in KClub in April and will reassess where I am after that. I'm aiming sub 40 for that but know it will be tight but i'll have a few more stabs at it this year so no overly concerned. This 5k on Sunday is an unexpected bonus race really - I'm just curious now to see how I've progressed in 4 weeks..

10k in KClub in April and will reassess where I am after that. I'm aiming sub 40 for that but know it will be tight but i'll have a few more stabs at it this year so no overly concerned. This 5k on Sunday is an unexpected bonus race really - I'm just curious now to see how I've progressed in 4 weeks..

Are you building up to a half or full marathon?

Are you building up to a half or full marathon?

Half definitely - no marathon on the agenda this year - maybe next year or maybe no - I don't have a burning desire to do a marathon yet - plus i know I don't have the time this year to train properly for one..

Half definitely - no marathon on the agenda this year - maybe next year or maybe no - I don't have a burning desire to do a marathon yet - plus i know I don't have the time this year to train properly for one..

which half are you going to do

4 mile in 31:12 (7:48 pace) - uneventful run, just wanted to stretch the legs before the race on Friday.

Cavan Road Championship 5km

This was an unplanned race and it wasn't until midweek that I knew for definite that it was a 5km I was doing so was a bit of a strange feeling going into this. Also knew that my club (I've attended one training session so that feels a bit weird saying it) were struggling for numbers so I knew that I wasn't going to get away with toddling around at the back of the group.

Anyway morning of the race arrived with a foot injury after an easter egg hunt on Saturday - foot was really sore where it bends and the side of the runner rubbing off it was agony. Cue my ever practical wife suggesting blister plasters and after a bit of experimenting and a few practice jogs I was ready to go and irritation was manageable.

Arrived at the start line not knowing what to expect and quickly found a few team mates - tried to find someone aiming for a time close to mine but no joy. Fairly quickly we were off and I tucked in at the back of the leading group and got to the first bend feeling comfortable, next was a sharp turn and up a hill - looked at my watch and it was at 4:40 so now knew that there were no km markers so would have to judge pace on how I felt. Uneventful 2nd and 3rd kms (that's a guess!!) - was 3 of us together running fairly comfortable uphills and into the wind (and a wee bit of sleet).

By 14 mins on my watch one of the lads broke away and couldn't stay with him so was down to two of us but could feel someone else catching up. Got to the turn for home in 17 mins so put the foot down a wee bit which was a risk given I had no idea how far was left. Both of the lads went with me and I could see they were very strong and not interested in times but finishing ahead of each other. I stayed with them and soon saw the finish line 200mtrs away - cue mad 3 way sprint finish - I lost to both by a short bit but felt happy with my effort - crossed the line in 19:25 - a new PB so chuffed with that.

Had a nice cup of tea and got a picture for the club website and home for my easter egg :D happy with a PB on a very tough course

March total mileage was 87.45 compared to 78 miles for February and 57 for January so YTD is 222.45miles. It's not big mileage by any stretch but am happy now that I have a good foundation and with 2 races and 2 PB's in March and happy to kick on now - immediate plan is 3 weeks solid training before a good crack at a sub - 40 10km

Onwards and upwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Cavan Road Championship 5km

This was an unplanned race and it wasn't until midweek that I knew for definite that it was a 5km I was doing so was a bit of a strange feeling going into this. Also knew that my club (I've attended one training session so that feels a bit weird saying it) were struggling for numbers so I knew that I wasn't going to get away with toddling around at the back of the group.

Anyway morning of the race arrived with a foot injury after an easter egg hunt on Saturday - foot was really sore where it bends and the side of the runner rubbing off it was agony. Cue my ever practical wife suggesting blister plasters and after a bit of experimenting and a few practice jogs I was ready to go and irritation was manageable.

Arrived at the start line not knowing what to expect and quickly found a few team mates - tried to find someone aiming for a time close to mine but no joy. Fairly quickly we were off and I tucked in at the back of the leading group and got to the first bend feeling comfortable, next was a sharp turn and up a hill - looked at my watch and it was at 4:40 so now knew that there were no km markers so would have to judge pace on how I felt. Uneventful 2nd and 3rd kms (that's a guess!!) - was 3 of us together running fairly comfortable uphills and into the wind (and a wee bit of sleet).

By 14 mins on my watch one of the lads broke away and couldn't stay with him so was down to two of us but could feel someone else catching up. Got to the turn for home in 17 mins so put the foot down a wee bit which was a risk given I had no idea how far was left. Both of the lads went with me and I could see they were very strong and not interested in times but finishing ahead of each other. I stayed with them and soon saw the finish line 200mtrs away - cue mad 3 way sprint finish - I lost to both by a short bit but felt happy with my effort - crossed the line in 19:25 - a new PB so chuffed with that.

Had a nice cup of tea and got a picture for the club website and home for my easter egg :D happy with a PB on a very tough course

Nice going tj. A 5k like that is still a pipe dream for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Well done on the PB. A nice confidence booster for the sub 40 10k attempt.

upthe19th wrote: »
    Nice going tj. A 5k like that is still a pipe dream for me.

Cheers upthe19th (btw you'll have to explain that user name to me - I'm a nosey *******), considering the training you are doing, you're not that far off that time - hope the injury is improving..

beeduybe wrote: »
    Well done on the PB. A nice confidence booster for the sub 40 10k attempt.

Well done yourself - am still a fair behind you given that run yesterday - I'm realistic about getting it at the K- Club but going to give it a good crack knowing that I will have a few attempts this year..

New month and am aiming for a fair jump in mileage now that I feel I have a good foundation down.

With that in mind, as club training session was cancelled so done 5mile in 36:49 (7:22 pace)

Have one race lined up this month - K Club 10k on 20th April so have 3 weeks prep.

Plan is to do a LSR of 9 and 10mile and one speed session a week (5 x 1k), one session with tempo run built in and at least two core work sessions a week leading up to K club to give me the best chance at breaking sub 40..

Next job is to register for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Cheers upthe19th (btw you'll have to explain that user name to me - I'm a nosey *******), considering the training you are doing, you're not that far off that time - hope the injury is improving..

Injury is....improving slowly. The user name came from golf. I play, or used to play a good bit. I used to frequent the bar a lot:D, ah the auld 19th hole.....god bless 'er.

upthe19th wrote: »
    Injury is....improving slowly. The user name came from golf. I play, or used to play a good bit. I used to frequent the bar a lot:D, ah the auld 19th hole.....god bless 'er.

Glad to hear the injury is improving - Missed the obvious explanation - you can probably tell by now I don't do golf - like the drinking bit!!!

5.5 mile in 42:48 (7:52 pace). Great run - felt fantastic the whole way around and in the zone - even felt like spring was in the air. Also stopped me feeling guilty about the big durty breakfast roll I had this morning with a gallon of coffee - in my defence was up most the night with a teething baby.. :(

Tomorrow will be interesting - am going to attempt 5 X 1k intervals - should be interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

New month and am aiming for a fair jump in mileage now that I feel I have a good foundation down.

With that in mind, as club training session was cancelled so done 5mile in 36:49 (7:22 pace)

Have one race lined up this month - K Club 10k on 20th April so have 3 weeks prep.

Plan is to do a LSR of 9 and 10mile and one speed session a week (5 x 1k), one session with tempo run built in and at least two core work sessions a week leading up to K club to give me the best chance at breaking sub 40..

Next job is to register for it :)

Well done on the PB in Cavan, we should have a Boards tent at the KClub so we can get to know each other.

Well done on the PB in Cavan, we should have a Boards tent at the KClub so we can get to know each other.

Bit like the Galway tent idea :D. Let's hope we get around in under 40 and have a few celebratory pints in our tent afterwards..

• Advertisement

5 x 1k intervals -

1k warm-up @ 4:40 pace

1k - 3:29
    3 min rest
    1k - 3:31
    3 min rest
    1k - 3:32
    3 min rest
    1k - 3:34
    3 min rest
    1k - 3:45
    1k warm-down run

very happy with that as felt comfortable - can't explain last 1k interval as felt no different to the other

Total: 5.5 miles

Advertisement