Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

8 miles with 2x2 miles @ HMP

Yesterday was an unscheduled rest day as I had a few things going on so just couldn't fit running in. This meant that yesterdays scheduled session would have to be done @ 5:30 am today.

Wasn't feeling the love when the alarm went off and nearly psyched myself out of doing this as any previous attempts at fast paced stuff at stupid o'clock have ended in tears!

Legs felt surprisingly fresh and zippy on the 2 mile easy (8:15; 8:10) but was dreading the HMP bit. It felt tough from the start but I soon eased into it being conscious not to push too much. Was relieved when second mile was done as it was starting to hurt now but happy with pace (6:44; 6:42)

Took every second out of the 4 minute recovery and wasn't confident at all about completing the second set of HMP miles. Started out conservatively again and was aware that I had a nice downhill section on the first mile which helped. Second mile was all about pushing myself not to bail. (6:35;6:40)

Another 2 miles easy cool down @ 8:25 and 8:05 for a total of 8 miles.

Delighted to get this done and hit the target paces - toughest session in a while but a nice wee confidence booster and satisfying that I got through the temptation to quit!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Did you try the new shoes?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Did you try the new shoes?

Not yet Adrian - thought using them for first time on an 8 mile run might be a bit much. Am wearing them around the house as slippers though if that counts :pac:. Hoping to take them for a spin over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Nice session at that ungodly time. I don't mind early morning running, but have never done a session at that time.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Nice session at that ungodly time. I don't mind early morning running, but have never done a session at that time.

Thanks Paulie - not something I do too often but it was a case of needs must today!

• Advertisement

Friday was an unscheduled rest day - just one of them rare days that running has to take a back seat.

Saturday: 8 mile progression run

Instructions for this was to start easy and then run 10 seconds faster each mile. Was a wee bit apprehensive about this considering my history of getting pacing wrong :pac:.

Was down in Kerry for this and unfamiliar with the route and this first mile was downhill the whole way so had to hold back a wee bit. Next mile was uphill so had to work a wee bit harder on this one but route levelled out after that until 7th mile which was mostly uphill before the last mile which was all uphill, getting steeper the further I went. Happy enough with the pacing off this and the effort level.

Splits were: 8:14; 8:07: 7:53;7:43;7:33;7:21;7:14:7:00

Sunday: 12.5 mile LSR @ 9:06 avg pace

Out late in the rain for this and hit the forest trails as well as a new route around the lakes. Trail was boggy and wet in most places which made for hard going but I enjoyed this. Had the company of a clubmate which helped the miles tick by.

Weekly total: 35.5 miles

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great splits for that session TJ!

3 mile easy @9:05 avg pace with 5 x Long Jump attempts.

County Track and Field is on this weekend so went to training tonight to practice the long jump. Done 1.5 mile recovery to warm-up followed by some amusing attempts at the long jump (I can safely say the national record is safe anyway :pac:). Eventually got the hang of it and enjoyed it - a lot to take in but I now know how to measure my run up for the weekend which will be half the battle. Done another 1.5 mile cool down and then got in out of the rain!

What distance did you jump?

adrian522 wrote: »
    What distance did you jump?

Not sure tbh Adrian as we had no measuring tape with us but I reckon my best was between 4 and 4.5 metres. Not sure if this is good or not but I was definitely getting better which each jump - there is a surprising amount of stuff to remember for such a simple looking event!!

Am going to try a few more jumps on my own some evening when the long jump is free.

• Advertisement

7 mile easy at various paces:

Ignored the alarm at 5:30 as I was wrecked after a poor nights sleep. Mrs Joad had triathlon stuff on this evening so had to get out at lunchtime. Done 2.5 mile with my couch 2 5k group at a very easy pace. Then finished out the 7 miles in the rain on my own.

Splits were: 10:23; 9:55; 9:06; 8:17; 8:14; 8:09; 8:01

This evening got back into the core work after slackening off over last while -
    Done 15 reps of the dark side programme followed by 50 squats.

This was my first run in my new brooks adrenalines after retiring the previous pair after about 500 miles

6 Mile Steady @ 7:40 pace

Another work trip to Dublin meant that the alarm was once again set for 5:20 and was on the road for 5:30. Was a bit of frost on the windscreen so headed back for some gloves. Hit the pace pretty much straight away without too much effort. Despite the bit of frost, conditions were perfect for running and the miles flew by listening to a bit of CCR. Was delighted with this run and the consistency of the pace and the legs felt fresh as daisies.

Splits were: 7:42;7:38;7:38;7:40;7:42;7:39

7 miles with 5x 1min strides (2 min recoveries)

Headed out at lunchtime and felt a lot fresher after a great nights sleep. Had to work to keep the pace nice and easy. Done the 7 miles and then into the strides - focused on form and kept the nice and controlled and then had 2 minutes standing recoveries.

Splits were as follows:
    8:14;8:09;8:05;8:05;8:03;8:06;8:09

Happy out with this run and feeling confident about the weekends race.

4 mile easy @ 9:05 pace

Nice and very handy run with the race tomorrow in mind. Headed out this evening after a day building a playhouse and removing skirting boards (wonder can I count that as corework :D).

County Track and Field Championship:

3k - 10:39 (24sec PB)

Timing of this wasn't great as my main focus was on the Bob Heffernan 5k on Tuesday night but the club was pulling out all the stops to win this as we had a chance to hold every Athletics cup in the county. Weren't sure of the numbers/competition as there was rumours that the other big club mightn't travel as this was being held outside the county in the new peacelink venue in Clones.

I was looking forward to running on a 400 track for the first time (7 1/2 laps seems easier than 10 of a 300m track). The 3k was scheduled as the first event so got up nice and early and headed out with a few clubmates for a warm-up. Got a good few laps done with strides and felt good.

Race started on time and had about 15 in it with the V1 and V3 being run together - had done my homework and for once knew who was in which race and was feeling confident of a medal place. Knew the main competition would be a guy from another club and my usual training buddy. Started off well and by the first bend found myself leading the race but felt the pace was a wee bit rich for me so didn't mind when I was placed 4th when the first lap was done especially knowing that 2 of the 3 ahead were V3 so were really in a different race. First lap was 85 so happy enough with that especially as there was quite a strong headwind on the finishing straight. On the second lap I passed a clubmate to move into third place or 1st in my category and the second lap was 83 seconds. Happy where I was at so just got the head down and kept working at a nice steady pace.

3rd lap flew by with no change in positions but could feel someone on my shoulder breathing down my neck but with no real designs to go by me. A quick glance only told me that it was a clubmate - didn't see or really care which one it was at that stage but knew we had a bit of a gap from the next group. Coach was in the infield shouting at us to work together and I remember thinking that it must be someone running out of their skin holding on to me as they had no intention of taking up the pace but were happy sheltering behind me.

Laps ticked off with no real change in things -second place was 70-80 metres ahead and first was well ahead of him - heaving breathing clubmate was still using me as a windbreak :D and the rest were about 40-50 metres further back.

Decided that I wasn't going to let the clubmate slip by me and I would make my break with 400mtrs to go and if he wanted to beat me he would have to work for it. So right on the line for 400mtrs to go I went for it and clubmate followed - with 300 to go I realised that i was reeling 2nd place in and put the boot down again. With 100mtrs to go he was only 20mtrs ahead and didn't know I was coming but unfortunately for me everyone watching the race noticed me coming hard and it alerted him with 50mtrs left that I was coming - his look was priceless before he put the boot down and just finished ahead of me. He ran 10:38 and I ran 10:39. My last 400 was 71 seconds!!

Immediately headed for the ditch as thought I was going to heave and the legs went to jelly but was delighted with a gold in the V1 men and a 24 sec PB. Also know that on a calmer day without a headwind and a bit more competition I could go under 10:30. Still a nice wee confidence booster ahead of a sub 18 attempt in Enfield.

I then found out than the clubmate who was taking shelter from me was my usual training buddy and he was planning to sneak past me on the home straight - in his defence I am a fair bit taller than him so he wouldn't have been much shelter for me :D. I still gave him dogs abuse for it for the rest of the day (all good natured of course) and I won't forget it in a hurry :pac:.

Finished 3rd (out of 3:o) in the long jump - I told the guy raking the sand that he was a tad optimistic raking the middle of the pit before I jumped. Had put my name down for a 4x100mtr relay if we were stuck. Turned out we had enough for 2 relay teams and no other club had four for a relay so it was a fairly relaxed race. I ran the 3rd leg and we were behind going into it and I lost ground on my leg and then made a complete arse of the baton change when handing over for our last runner - I forgot to release my grip on it when handing it over :o:o.

Still all in all delighted with today's running and confident going into Enfield.

Total weekly mileage: 33 miles

2.25 miles @ 8:55 pace

Plan today was for a 20 min recovery run with an eye on tomorrow's race. Legs felt tired and heavy after yesterday's exertions so hoping they will loosen out before tomorrow. Got out at lunchtime between showers and somehow managed to stay dry :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Way behind here TJ.
    What's the plan for tomorrow?
    Might see you down there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

What did you jump? Did you get over the 8 metres? :D

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Way behind here TJ.
    What's the plan for tomorrow?
    Might see you down there ;)

Plan is to leave the sandbags at home and go for it :D. Going to have a crack at sub-18. What's your plan?

Will catch up with you there!

What did you jump? Did you get over the 8 metres? :D

Divide it by 2 and you would be a wee bit closer ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Plan is to leave the sandbags at home and go for it :D. Going to have a crack at sub-18. What's your plan?

Will catch up with you there!

A sub 17 pb (but a pb will do :D)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    A sub 17 pb (but a pb will do :D)

No bother to you*

as long as you don't get lost
    :D:D

18:05 on very tired legs. 19 second PB so will take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Tom Joad wrote: »
    18:05 on very tired legs. 19 second PB so will take that.

well done!!! two pb's and some sort of a jump in 3 days, good going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Nice one TJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done TJ, I was out running myself this evening thinking that people would be doing very well to PB in that wind. Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Lovely PB TJ! Big congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Ah good run this evening, well done J.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Congrats on the pb TJ - good few days for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Nice PB. You'll definitely find those extra 6 seconds and more during the summer.

Advertisement