Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Tom Joad wrote: »
    I'm a townie and my father in law has cows that are possessed by the devil - they are feral :pac:

...this was the funniest session in a long time... good splits too, by the way :D
    It's an education here :)

Next week heifers :D

makes a change from Pigs anyhow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

7 mile easy @ 8:31 pace

Done a circuits class last night and it was tough going and felt it this morning - especially with a 5:30 start - 3 in a row for the first time!. Body was feeling tender and the first mile was slow @ 8:53 but I loosened up after that and the miles ticked by.

Spent a good while doing the hartmann stretches tonight and feeling a wee bit looser after that.

Update needed!

Friday 5th: Rest day but foolishly decided to play a game of 5-a-side for the first time in months and was in ribbons after it. Absolute confirmation that football and running don't mix.

Saturday 6th: Plan was for 7 mile easy but was still in tatters from ball so cut it down to 5 mile easy @ 8:32 pace. Was really surprised that the pace wasn't slower as I felt I was barely moving at times. Was feeling better after it and done a good stretching routine afterwards:

Sunday 7th: Nada. Plan was for a 13 mile run with a few faster miles at the end but wasn't to be. Mrs Joad was competing in a triathlon so needed to get out early and was on the road for 6AM with the porridge in me, cracking weather, had downloaded a live concert and was raring to go. Managed a few hundred metres before I stopped as the legs were completely seized and I thought I could do real damage if I tried to shuffle around for 13 miles like that so turned around, went home and went back to bed (in my running gear :P).

Bit of a damp squib end to the week and was tempted to do the LSR today but advised to move on and look after the body - didn't take much persuasion tbh!!

Weekly total - 28.5 miles

Monday 2.25 mile @ 8:55

Hopefully this qualifies as a nursing home special ala TbL - just a slow shuffle down to the pitch and a few laps of it. Followed up with a lot of foam rolling and the legs are back to life again.

Tuesday AM 7 mile @ 8:30 Up and out at 5:30 for this. Cracking morning for it even though there was some grass frost and the hands felt cold. Started out nice and handy, letting the legs dictate the pace and they soon found a nice rythmn and the miles flew by listening to a bit of Smashing Pumpkins.

Tuesday PM 2.6 miles @ 2.6 miles @ 10:50 pace - nice and gentle lunchtime run with the couch 25k group - cracking afternoon for this and enjoyed it thoroughly. Will do some core work tonight

Wednesday: 5x1mile @ 6:05-6:10 pace

The biggie today. This is the last big session before Dunshaughlin and would give me a good idea about where I am with that in mind.

Original plan was to do this early this morning on the road (staying well away from them cattle :pac:) but when the alarm went off at 5am I had second and third thoughts and rolled over!

Lots of deadlines and pressure at work so had to rush it a wee bit at lunchtime and done 1.5 miles warm-up and cool-down instead of the prescribed 2 to save a wee bit of time. It was ridiculously warm down by the track and car was reading 18 degrees and it felt it!!

First 1.5 was done @ 8:20 pace, followed by a quick stretch and then into the reps.

Splits were as follows:
    6:06 - felt nice and controlled
    6:01 - no idea what happened here
    6:06 - happy with this and again felt controlled
    6:08 - Starting to feel a bit tough now
    6:05 - Started out confident that I had this session licked but last 400metres were tough.

Used the 2min 30sec recoveries to get as much water on board as possible

Another 1.5 mile recovery before the world's quickest shower and back to work!

Absolutely delighted with this and a nice wee confidence booster ahead of Dunshaughlin.

Finished off the day with a circuits class.

Plonked in front of telly now and no intention of moving again until bed time :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great Session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

adrian522 wrote: »
    Great Session

+1 to that, great confidence boost as you said heading towards Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice TJ, great going. I've failed on that session myself a couple of times so I know how tough it is.

Sets you up nicely

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Nice session TJ, with those splits I recon you will be finishing about 6mins ahead of me in Dunsaughlin :mad::mad:

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Nice session TJ, with those splits I recon you will be finishing about 6mins ahead of me in Dunsaughlin :mad::mad:

I don't know about that :eek: unless you are walking it. How's the body these days? You had a good 5 mile recently - are you aiming for sub 40 in Dunshauglin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

that's a fantastic session, fair play. I hope you hit the target next week.

7 mile easy @ 8:20

No problems getting out at 5:30 this morning and what a cracking morning for it. Unusually even met a few others out - summer is definitely here.

Was pleasantly surprised at how fresh I felt given yesterday's exertions and just let the legs dictate the pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

7 mile easy @ 8:20

No problems getting out at 5:30 this morning and what a cracking morning for it. Unusually even met a few others out - summer is definitely

:eek: How? Just how?
    What time do you go to bed at? How many hours do you sleep?
    That's just ccccccrrrrrrraaaazzzzyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great running lately! You're obviously doing something right:)

Ososlo wrote: »
    :eek: How? Just how?
    What time do you go to bed at? How many hours do you sleep?
    That's just ccccccrrrrrrraaaazzzzyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great running lately! You're obviously doing something right:)

Ha! Thanks (I think :pac:)

I was always a morning person and it's a great way of getting things done early especially with a wife that does triathlon's!

Usually head to bed for 10:30 - 11pm and on running mornings (usually 3/4 days a week) set the alarm for 5:20 - key is to have all the gear out and ready from the night before so no faffing about looking for stuff. Out the door by 5:30 and back home, showered and sitting down for breakfast with the kids by 7am (with an enormous sense of smugness and self satisfaction it must be said :D) Leaves the evening free for kids and letting Mrs Joad do triathlony stuff

Ha! Thanks (I think :pac:)

I was always a morning person and it's a great way of getting things done early especially with a wife that does triathlon's!

Usually head to bed for 10:30 - 11pm and on running mornings (usually 3/4 days a week) set the alarm for 5:20 - key is to have all the gear out and ready from the night before so no faffing about looking for stuff. Out the door by 5:30 and back home, showered and sitting down for breakfast with the kids by 7am (with an enormous sense of smugness and self satisfaction it must be said :D) Leaves the evening free for kids and letting Mrs Joad do triathlony stuff

So you'd be asleep by 11 or shortly after? Up at 5:20. So you're still only getting 6 hours 20 mins sleep MAX? Sounds like a decent enough night to me, but then again I'm not normal in that respect (or many other respects if truth be told;)). Most people however seem to expect 8 hours. Do you feel you have enough sleep with 6ish hours considering your level of activity?
    Sorry for the interrogation! I'm just intrigued!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

So you'd be asleep by 11 or shortly after? Up at 5:20. So you're still only getting 6 hours 20 mins sleep MAX? Sounds like a decent enough night to me, but then again I'm not normal in that respect (or many other respects if truth be told;)). Most people however seem to expect 8 hours. Do you feel you have enough sleep with 6ish hours considering your level of activity?

And most distance runners probably really need 10 hours. Paula Radcliffe has be known to sleep for 13-15 hours a day during marathon training. She can get away with that of course as it was her job but the more sleep you can get, the better for recovery. That's my excuse anyway:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Need is relative. Ideally 8 hours a night and a nap at some stage. In reality for me it's more like 7 hours with no naps.

And most distance runners probably really need 10 hours. Paula Radcliffe has be known to sleep for 13-15 hours a day during marathon training. She can get away with that of course as it was her job but the more sleep you can get, the better for recovery. That's my excuse anyway:D

Yeah I often wonder would my running be a lot different if I could sleep like a normal person if it has that much impact on recovery.

Are you a napper? Or 10 hours in one go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Wednesday: 5x1mile @ 6:05-6:10 pace

The biggie today. This is the last big session before Dunshaughlin and would give me a good idea about where I am with that in mind.

Original plan was to do this early this morning on the road (staying well away from them cattle :pac:) but when the alarm went off at 5am I had second and third thoughts and rolled over!

Lots of deadlines and pressure at work so had to rush it a wee bit at lunchtime and done 1.5 miles warm-up and cool-down instead of the prescribed 2 to save a wee bit of time. It was ridiculously warm down by the track and car was reading 18 degrees and it felt it!!

First 1.5 was done @ 8:20 pace, followed by a quick stretch and then into the reps.

Splits were as follows:
    6:06 - felt nice and controlled
    6:01 - no idea what happened here
    6:06 - happy with this and again felt controlled
    6:08 - Starting to feel a bit tough now
    6:05 - Started out confident that I had this session licked but last 400metres were tough.

Used the 2min 30sec recoveries to get as much water on board as possible

Another 1.5 mile recovery before the world's quickest shower and back to work!

Absolutely delighted with this and a nice wee confidence booster ahead of Dunshaughlin.

Finished off the day with a circuits class.

Plonked in front of telly now and no intention of moving again until bed time :D

Great session there TJ, looking good for a solid sub 38 in Dunshaughlin id say, will see you there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

adrian522 wrote: »
    Need is relative. Ideally 8 hours a night and a nap at some stage. In reality for me it's more like 7 hours with no naps.

If need is relative, how can 8 hours be ideal? 7-8 hours is touted as good for the averagely active person but distance runners are far from averagely active which means they need more recovery time and one of the biggest factors in recovery is sleep. It's the one time in the day when your muscles are relaxed and not needed so is when the majority of recovery takes place so by limiting your sleep, you limit recovery. The more, the better to a point in my opinion.

On my phone O so can't multi quote. I'd rarely get 10 hours a day but not by choice, things get in the way but I do take naps fairly often and much more during heavy training. Don't take them on purpose but often just drift off on the coach for an hour or so.

• Advertisement

Fire away with the questions :)

Yeah 11 at the latest so 6:20 would be it - big plus is that all of that is quality sleep. That's 3/4 nights a week. The other nights would be closer to 7 1/2 hrs sleep.

To be honest if I didn't get up and run I would be awake anyway for 6 (toddler that likes to wake Daddy when they wake at 6am every morning :D) so it's not that big of an imposition.

I would generally be ok on that much sleep but am brilliant at napping when the opportunity arises :D For instance if we are going anywhere in the car at weekends, will share the driving with Mrs Joad and will usually get a quality 30mins nap in on the journey:D

Great session there TJ, looking good for a solid sub 38 in Dunshaughlin id say, will see you there!

Would be delighted with a 37:59!:D what's the aim for you OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Yeah something similar id say, getting back into some sessions over the past 2 weeks after an achilles niggle which held me up since the marathon. Dont really know what kind of shape I'm in but will give it a rattle. Good chance I could detonate though :D

Yeah something similar id say, getting back into some sessions over the past 2 weeks after an achilles niggle which held me up since the marathon. Dont really know what kind of shape I'm in but will give it a rattle. Good chance I could detonate though :D

Sounds like i got me a pacer so :D Will catch up with you there. Mind that achilles!!

Fire away with the questions :)

Yeah 11 at the latest so 6:20 would be it - big plus is that all of that is quality sleep. That's 3/4 nights a week. The other nights would be closer to 7 1/2 hrs sleep.

To be honest if I didn't get up and run I would be awake anyway for 6 (toddler that likes to wake Daddy when they wake at 6am every morning :D) so it's not that big of an imposition.

I would generally be ok on that much sleep but am brilliant at napping when the opportunity arises :D For instance if we are going anywhere in the car at weekends, will share the driving with Mrs Joad and will usually get a quality 30mins nap in on the journey:D

Wow so head hits the pillow and you're gone! God we are polar opposites on the sleeping front then!
    I can't nap for sh1t. I've tried a few times and it's useless.
    I'm such a light sleeper that when I'm in my parents' house in the middle of absolutely nowhere, I have to wear earplugs in case a cow moos or a bird tweets and wakes me. No way could I sleep in a car.
    Lucky thing! Great that what you're getting is quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Will ya stop sandbagging FFS :D. 37:20/30 no bother to ya:)

Wow so head hits the pillow and you're gone! God we are polar opposites on the sleeping front then!
    I'm such a light sleeper that when I'm in my parents' house in the middle of absolutely nowhere, I have to wear earplugs in case a cow moos or a bird tweets and wakes me. No way could I sleep in a car.

Yep, read for a wee while, then close the book and I'm gone - would take an earthquake to wake me or a screaming toddler sometimes :D.

I couldn't cope with your sleep issues - I simply wouldn't be able to function properly - I'm always amazed with the fact that you even get out after not sleeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Snap, i'd give my left one to get the sleep you do J. Its not cause of my little ones either, eldest sleeps 10 hrs a night, youngest goes down at 8.30pm and we'd be lucky to here a peep out of her by 10am the next morning. Like O, if a mouse farted it would wake me and thats it, awake till the morning. May get a good nights sleep once every 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Catching up here and I see the discussion has moved from livestock to sleep... Not forgetting some serious training of course. I have to say I am so jealous of anyone getting any amount of unbroken sleep regularly! And naps... Green with envy!

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Catching up here and I see the discussion has moved from livestock to sleep... Not forgetting some serious training of course. I have to say I am so jealous of anyone getting any amount of unbroken sleep regularly! And naps... Green with envy!

Thanks Anna - If it helps only got about 3 hours sleep last night - probably deserve that for tempting fate :D.

Advertisement