Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Saturday: 8 miles easy @8:23 pace
    Was heading down to Kerry with to visit the in-laws so got out nice and early for this before we left. Another cracking morning for running and let the miles just tick by. Pace was nice and consistent and a nice enjoyable run followed by a long drive to Kerry and a 2year olds birthday party.

Sunday: 10 miles steady @7:41 pace
    After tempting fate here with all the talk of quality sleep, had a really crap nights sleep after sharing a room with two toddlers, including one who had developed a barking cough. Ended up driving her around North Kerry for a few hours at 6am in desperation to get her some sleep (and not have her wake the rest of the house either). Took an hour and a half driving she fell asleep and I found a McDonalds drive thru to get me some coffee and the world was a better place!!

After a morning in the playground with 5 kids under 6, I floated the idea of getting a run in and was met with no resistance from any of the kids owners :pac: so I legged it. Picked the worse possible route for a steady run as it was very up and down and I kept to around town to save time so was turning back on myself a lot so it proved hard to get into any rhytmn or consistent pace of this. Still happy to get this done before we headed back home (got a rock solid 40mins nap in the car too :D).

Splits: 7:35;7:45;7:41;7:50;7:40;7:42;7:47;7:40;7:40;7:37

Happy with a solid weeks running and weekly total was 44.85 miles

Monday: 2.3 miles recovery run @ 8:55

Nice and handy 20 minute recovery. No issues keeping the pace down as was very warm and close out.

Tuesday: 5 miles easy @ 8:30

Another nice and very handy run. Done 2.5 mile with couch 25k group and then finished it off with a nice and easy 2.5 mile of my own.

7.2 miles with 3x200,2x400,1x600,2x400,3x200

Decided I deserved a lie in this morning so headed out at lunchtime instead to do this. I had one of them days were I was chasing my tail all day. Was doing a 2 mile warm-up when I realised that I hadn't the foggiest idea what pace I was meant to do these!! Summed up the frame of mind i was in.

Decided to try and just do the session by feel with a leaning towards conservative with Dunshaughlin in mind.

Done 2 mile easy (untimed as forgot to start watch)
    200s were 38,41,42 - felt the first one was a bit hot so dialled it back a wee bit
    400s - 82,87 - again hared off a bit quick on first one so reined it in a bit
    600 - 2:15 - lost a wee bit of focus on this and was unsure of what I should be aimed for
    400s - 86,87 - starting to feel the effort levels now
    200s - 41,42,42 - pleased with the consistency of these.

Finished with a nice and easy 2 mile cool down for a total of 7.2 miles.

Happy enough with this (I think :o) but no idea if I done it right or not but not going to stress this close to a race and the body felt good afterwards so didn't flog myself.

Easy running between here and Saturday night now.

Thursday 18th: 4 mile @ 8:55 pace

Horrible, horrible run - even though it was warm out, I shouldn't have felt as bad as I did for this. I felt like I had absolutely no energy. I had an earache since Monday and started to get a bad feeling that it might be the reason for this crap run.

Worst fears were confirmed in the middle of the night when I woke in the horrors and bathed in sweat. Spent two hours hugging the porcelain goddess and at that stage I pretty much knew that Dunshauglin was gone (again :mad:).

Went to the Docs this morning who confirmed an inner ear infection and he gave me a course of antibiotics which should clear up the infection. Still feel like crap and very nauseous and lacking energy so Dunshaughlin is 100% gone and will try and recover before running again.

Am disappointed as I'm starting to think me and this race are not meant to be - I have entered it 4 times (including this year) but only ran once and even that was with the aid of half a tube of biofreeze 2 years ago.

Secondly, this race was perfectly positioned in the schedule as it would round off 3 pbs at 3k,5k and 10k in this cycle and I am heading to France with the family next week so would bring a nice end to the cycle, then bit of R'n'R and then back in the next phase when I come back.

Had always planned to bring the gear to France as it is so well set up for running so will chat to Coach and if I get the ok from him will refocus on Fingal 10k in a few weeks time.

You may have noticed that I'm a moany fecker when I'm sick and love a good wallow :pac:.

Best of luck to everyone running Dunshaughlin tomorrow night.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sorry to hear that. Enjoy the break anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Thursday 18th: 4 mile @ 8:55 pace

Horrible, horrible run - even though it was warm out, I shouldn't have felt as bad as I did for this. I felt like I had absolutely no energy. I had an earache since Monday and started to get a bad feeling that it might be the reason for this crap run.

Worst fears were confirmed in the middle of the night when I woke in the horrors and bathed in sweat. Spent two hours hugging the porcelain goddess and at that stage I pretty much knew that Dunshauglin was gone (again :mad:).

Went to the Docs this morning who confirmed an inner ear infection and he gave me a course of antibiotics which should clear up the infection. Still feel like crap and very nauseous and lacking energy so Dunshaughlin is 100% gone and will try and recover before running again.

Am disappointed as I'm starting to think me and this race are not meant to be - I have entered it 4 times (including this year) but only ran once and even that was with the aid of half a tube of biofreeze 2 years ago.

Secondly, this race was perfectly positioned in the schedule as it would round off 3 pbs at 3k,5k and 10k in this cycle and I am heading to France with the family next week so would bring a nice end to the cycle, then bit of R'n'R and then back in the next phase when I come back.

Had always planned to bring the gear to France as it is so well set up for running so will chat to Coach and if I get the ok from him will refocus on Fingal 10k in a few weeks time.

You may have noticed that I'm a moany fecker when I'm sick and love a good wallow :pac:.

Best of luck to everyone running Dunshaughlin tomorrow night.

bad news TJ, but at least you have 2 PBs in your pocket while heading away. Enjoy the break! And the moaning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Shame to hear that J, at least its not an injury, look after the body & enjoy the hols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

^^^ great way to look at it! (even though ear infections are one of the nastiest illnesses to get. Gws :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Pity TJ , plenty more 10ks coming up and you'll be back at it before you know it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Sorry to hear that TJ, ear infections are awful... you're entitled to moan (for a few minutes anyway). Enjoy the hols and save the PB for Fingal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Rest up and get better for your hols! Plenty more 10 km races. And moan away, ear infections are torture.

6 miles easy @ 8:43 avg pace

Finally finished the antibiotics today so decided to head out for a run this evening. Have been itching to run for the last few days but resisted the urge. Headed out after a ham and egg sandwich so kept the pace nice and handy. It was just great to be back on the road again!

Really enjoyed this and even welcomed the summer shower that hit near the end of this - nice and cooling effect.

Will head out very early in the morn for something similar and then am off on the ferry to France for 2 weeks..

See ye on the other side! :D:cool:

Update time - back from the holiers today and happy to report that I got plenty of running done over there - hard not to run when the place is so well set up for running.

Thurs 25th June: 5 mile easy @ 8:45 avg pace

Sneaky crack of dawn run where I headed out before anyone missed me but back to pack the car up before we headed off. Kept pace nice and handy and happy just to get out running.

Saturday 27th June: 6 mile easy @ 8:31 avg pace
    Got out at 7am as it looked like it would be a hot one and headed out on a trail to Saint Hilaire de Riez that I found at the end of last years holidays. Legs felt nice and fresh and enjoyed this - nice trail surface to help the legs. It was warm but there was a nice cool breeze.

Sunday 28th June: 13 mile LSR @ 8:24 avg pace
    Wanted to get a long run in so headed out at first light with the intention of getting 10-13 miles done. Headed on the same route as yesterday knowing that it would hug the coast and I would get the benefit of the breeze. Got to five mile and decided to keep going as the scenery was stunning (plus badly needed a jacks!) and reluctantly turned back at 6.5 miles. It was warm out again (19 degrees) but again the breeze was a god send. Legs felt great and really enjoyed this and got quicker as the miles went by (after the toilet break!) One great thing about running in France is that there is always a public toilet close at hand - however they don't have toilet roll so ended up having to sacrifice a pair of socks but lesson learned for the future! :o:o

Monday 29th June: 2.6 mile recovery @ 9:03 avg pace
    Nice and easy recovery run on the trail/beach - out in the evening and was warm and humid so easy to keep pace handy. No ill effects from the long run either.

Tuesday 30th June: 6 mile @ 8:30 avg pace
    Humid early morning run in mid twenties (temperatures reached 36 degrees today) to Saint Jean de Monts - another lovely route and really enjoyed this and felt nice and fresh.

June total: 130.43 miles - Ok with this given that I had a week off running.

Wednesday 1st July: 6.5 mile (with 5 x 1 min on/1min off) @ 8:04 avg pace
    Late evening run to St Jean de Monts and nice cooling breeze out. As it is normally session day I decided to add in a bit of speed work but didn't want to go too made so settled for a 5x1min speeding up to 10k pace with 1 min recoveries.

Thursday 2nd July: 6 mile @ 8:20 avg pace

Was early evening when I headed out so was very humid - found a new route which took in a forest trail. Legs felt nice and fresh again and again pace picked up as the run went on.

Saturday 4th July@ 13 mile LSR @ 8:17 avg pace

Another first light start for this as planned on watching the Cavan game in the afternoon (the less said about that the better!) so knew I would have to get it done early as we were meeting friends at the beach for the day. Was in a bit of rush to get out after getting the porridge into me and forgot some essential long run in the heat preparations :o:mad: but it was too late when I realised my error.

I somehow managed to get a wee bit lost on this after diverting off the trail so ended up being a bit of a makey up route. Weather was mild but got quite warm and sticky later on. Happy with the pace of this and really enjoyed the run but after a shower I realised I my earlier error and had a lot of chaffing. It was manageable until we headed to the beach and I walked into the sea - sweet baby jesus I never felt as much pain in all my life as when the nice salty sea water reached my nether regions :eek::eek::eek:. I'm not ashamed to admit that a tear may have been produced - everyone else thought it pretty hilarious though!!

Sunday 5th July: 6.3 miles @ 8:35 avg pace
    Early evening humid run on another new route towards St Jean de Monts. Was very warm when I started out so pace was slow but got cooler later on and pace crept up.

Monday 6th July: 2.4 mile recovery run @ 8:54 avg pace
    Nice and gentle recovery run on the beach with a nice cooling breeze coming in from the sea.

Tuesday 7th July: 6 miles @ 8:22 avg pace
    Early morning run at 7 am along the tried and trusted route to St Jean de Monts and legs felt nice and fresh.

Wednesday 8th July: 5 miles @ 8:25 avg pace
    Had packed the garmin already so had to rely on phone timer. Last run of the holidays and it started to rain! - knew it was time to head home at that stage!

Now that I'm updated will spend the next few days catching up on some logs here - had no real wifi access in France so way out of touch here.

Welcome back J, good to see you recovered from the ear infection. Sounds like you were in similar territory to myself in France when we went, we stayed half way between St Hilaire De Riez and St John De Monts, great facilities for running around there. Hope the hols went well.

tang1 wrote: »
    Welcome back J, good to see you recovered from the ear infection. Sounds like you were in similar territory to myself in France when we went, we stayed half way between St Hilaire De Riez and St John De Monts, great facilities for running around there. Hope the hols went well.

Yeah sounds like we were in the same area - We were in Oroeut - nice part of the world and perfect for running - had a great holiday too thanks. Just caught up with your race the other night - congrats on a great run. Are you planning on doing Athboy again this year?

Welcome back and hard luck Cavan!

Wait... Socks? Halfway through your run? Ewww....

annapr wrote: »
    Welcome back and hard luck Cavan!

Wait... Socks? Halfway through your run? Ewww....

It's not as if I put them back on or anything :D

Yeah sounds like we were in the same area - We were in Oroeut - nice part of the world and perfect for running - had a great holiday too thanks. Just caught up with your race the other night - congrats on a great run. Are you planning on doing Athboy again this year?

Cheers J, yeah Athboy is on the cards alright, you doing it? Might do Castlepollard the Wednesday after this year to.

Cheers J, yeah Athboy is on the cards alright, you doing it? Might do Castlepollard the Wednesday after this year to.

Good stuff - plan is to do it again this year. I really enjoyed it last year - nice course and well organised race. Tempted by Castlepollard too but will decided closer to the date - think that's a tougher course?

Good stuff - plan is to do it again this year. I really enjoyed it last year - nice course and well organised race. Tempted by Castlepollard too but will decided closer to the date - think that's a tougher course?

Seemingly not, i thought the same to but lads in my club, one finished just ahead of you in Athboy last year, said Castlepollard is good 15-20 secs faster than Athboy.

• Advertisement

Seemingly not, i thought the same to but lads in my club, one finished just ahead of you in Athboy last year, said Castlepollard is good 15-20 secs faster than Athboy.

That's good to know - and Castlepollard is only a wee bit down the road from me!

7 mile easy @ 8:30 avg pace

Headed out this afternoon for this and felt sluggish to start with, mainly due to tiredness after the travel home, but settled into it after a few miles and started to enjoy it. Had a good stretch after this and felt the better of it.

Was dreading hopping on the scales as enjoyed my grub and beers/ wine while away so was nicely surprised to see I was 1 lb down from my last weigh in before the holidays - happy out with that. :D

Saturday: 2 mile easy/1x1mile@10k/4x800@5k/4x400@3k/2 mile easy

After a lot of easy paced running in France was looking forward to do a bit of speedier stuff today. Plan was to get out early this morning to do this as Mrs Joad was doing a long cycle afterwards and we wanted to have all done by lunchtime to do stuff with the kids.

Plan never worked out and ended up not getting out until after 10 (just after breakfast) so was tight on time and it all felt a bit rushed.

Done a nice and easy 2 mile warm-up (forgot to start the watch so untimed), followed by a quick stretch and then got into this.

First mile was tough work as I could feel my breakfast sitting on my stomach and it took a while to get into a proper pace but definitely was hitting 10k effort. 6:13

Recovery on mile was 3 mins.
    The 800's went better (first one was a bit on the quick side) and quickly got into a consistent effort and felt these went well.

Splits were 2:48;2:55;2:55;2:53 with 2:30 recoveries

The 400s felt comfortable for the first two but was definitely hanging on a wee bit over the last two.

Splits were 83;83;83;82 with 1:30 recoveries.

Another 2 mile easy @ 8:15 pace

Overall happy enough with this and it blew a few cobwebs away - not the best prepared I've ever been for a session but think I got the effort levels about right.

Total: 8 miles

LSR: 11 miles

No idea of average pace as I stopped the garmin instead of pausing when I made a pit stop and it's too much like hard sums to work it out :).

Headed out for this at 7am with my usual long run running buddy and as we hadn't run together for a month the miles just flew by. We went to the forest but as the trails were boggy and overgrown we hit the roads earlier than planned.

Original plan had been to do 12 but time pressure came into play so left it at 11.

Splits were: 8:52;8:49;8:27;9:03; 8:44; 8:35; 8:50; 8:23;8:06;8:41; 7:59; 7:54

Weekly Total: 39.4 miles

Monday 13th: 2.6 mile @ 9:00 avg pace

Very easy run down to the football pitch and a couple of laps of it before heading back home. Kept pace nice and handy.

Tuesday: 7 mile easy @ 8:37 avg pace

First 6 am start in Ireland for a while and really felt the difference in temperatures as it was so cool and fresh compared to France. Didn't have the greatest nights sleep so was a bit sluggish to start with but happy to keep the pace handy anyway. Pace started to naturally creep up as the miles went by.

8 miles with 20x200 @ 42-44 secs with 90 sec recoveries:

This ended up being a bit of a rush job as I wanted to do this at lunchtime but a meeting ran over so had to push it back until this evening.

I ran down to the track around the local pitch as I was tight on time. It was nice and warm with not a breathe of a breeze doing this. Done a 1.5 nice and gentle warm-up and after a good stretch got stuck into this. 1st two were a wee bit quick at 39 and 40 but after that I consistently hit between 42 and 44. This felt comfortable throughout and was conscious not to push too much. Happy with effort levels and legs were nice and fresh today after treating myself to a sports massage yesterday afternoon.

Run 1: 5 mile easy @ 8:42 avg pace:

Out at 5:30 am for this one. The plan for today was for 7 mile easy so kept it to 5 miles as I knew I would be going out at lunchtime with my running group at work. Kept the pace real nice and handy as it was less than 12 hours after last nights session.

Run 2: 2.6 mile @ 10:13 avg:
    Very easy run at lunchtime with a few from the work running group. Quite warm out so was happy that the pace was nice and easy.

Saturday: 2.5 @ 9:02 avg pace
    Just a very easy run down to the football pitch, a few laps of it and back home.

Sunday: Fingal 10k -38:28 (30 sec PB).
    Had been quite relaxed about this all week and decided to take a very low profile build up to this and pushed it from my mind. Had a good nights sleep last night and was raring to go this morning.

Got a bit worried before the start as I didn't feel 100% - had to make 3 emergency trips to the toilet before the start and was sweating profusely after a light jog. Met OP and AMK before the race and lined up in a good spot.

First km was all about not overcooking it and staying out of trouble. First km went by in 3:52 and was happy with that but a bit concerned that it was feeling a bit tougher than it should. Out on the dual carriage way I started working my way up and got into a good spot - surprised to see the 2nd km beep at 3:35 but effort felt the same as the first km. After that the race just turned into a bit of a slog as I knew I was finding it tougher than I should. By mid way I pretty much knew that the target of sub 38 was not going to happen. Splits for 3-5km were 3:52;3:46;3:58.

Next few kms were tough but I wasn't really been passed but i still had a big mental battle here but happy to have toughed it out and won the battle and put the focus on taking the PB that was undoubtedly there for the taking. Last 2kms were just about slogging it out and I had one eye on the tough hill I knew was coming on the last km. That really sapped the legs and it was another mental tussle to keep going. Seen the family waiting on the home straight so managed to muster a sprint finish for the fans :D.

Splits for last 5km and a bit were - 3:51;3:54;3:49;3:52;3:56;0:04

Initially I was disappointed with the time but having had more time to think about it I am pleased that I took the best that was on offer from today and didn't throw in the towel when the main target was gone. Have to chalk it down to just one of them days and trust the training - it's there for the next day.

Going to talk to coach and refocus on the next target.

Weekly total: 35.96

Well done on the PB today, TJ, especially when you weren't feeling great at the beginning! If you had been way slower, we might have bumped into each other :)

• Advertisement

A PB is a PB J, few weeks holidays and a dose before hand has to had a bit of effect on you. Few weeks solid training back home should stand to you and help towards the sub 38. Hooray for free wifi!!!

Advertisement