Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

annapr wrote: »
    Well done on the PB today, TJ, especially when you weren't feeling great at the beginning! If you had been way slower, we might have bumped into each other :)

Well done yourself too. Next time :)

tang1 wrote: »
    A PB is a PB J, few weeks holidays and a dose before hand has to had a bit of effect on you. Few weeks solid training back home should stand to you and help towards the sub 38. Hooray for free wifi!!!

Cheers B - it took me a while to convince myself of that but any day that yields a PB has to be a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Jezus the state of you a year ago when I ran with you, you'd have been lucky to break 41 for 10k :) Twasn't that long ago that you struggled to go sub 19 for 5k, and now you're getting real lofty ambitions!!!

Well run you're going well.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Jezus the state of you a year ago when I ran with you, you'd have been lucky to break 41 for 10k :) Twasn't that long ago that you struggled to go sub 19 for 5k, and now you're getting real lofty ambitions!!!

Well run you're going well.

TbL

Jaysus i could feel that kick in the balls down in Clare C, great point though.

Tis mainly begrudery B ;) but in fairness TJ has come on really well.

Enjoy Clare, some nice scenic routes for running down there.

TbL

• Advertisement

Think I might change the log title to TbL kicked me in the balls last night!! :D

Tis mainly begrudery B ;) but in fairness TJ has come on really

He has, to say i'm a tad jealous is a serious understatement. Well deserved though.

He has, to say i'm a tad jealous is a serious understatement. Well deserved though.

Ah jaysus lads I'm blushing into my wine here!!

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Ah jaysus lads I'm blushing into my wine here!!

Well just to keep you grounded, you've come on well from a low base :)

Enjoy the vino!

TbL

Well just to keep you grounded, you've come on well from a low base :)

Enjoy the vino!

TbL

That's more like it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

good running TJ, it was tough out there with the gale force winds, 37 degree temp and mountainous hills...........at least thats what I'm telling people.

great running.

good running TJ, it was tough out there with the gale force winds, 37 degree temp and mountainous hills...........at least thats what I'm telling people.

Your gone awful soft since you started that track running lark!!! #BringbackRunningKing!

great running.

Cheers AMK. Sorry I missed you at the end - went back in to get a t-shirt (missing from bag) and you were gone by the time I got back out.

Tough luck today but there will be better days ahead for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great to have a wee catch up earlier and nice running J, Blessington again for another chunk off?

Great to have a wee catch up earlier and nice running J, Blessington again for another chunk off?

Good to chat with you too and seriously good running from you today. I think Blessington is clashing with Mrs Joad doing a triathlon this year. Haven't picked out a race yet but will nail down a plan this week.

Are you lined up Blessington for the sub 37?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Can't believe you were disappointed with a 30 second PB TJ - fair play to you, another good chunk off an already impressive PB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Well done TJ, sorry you didn't get your A goal but great running nevertheless, especially on the digging in as you slogged it out. Just catching up on your log and internally 'ouching'* at some of your sessions :D Great running!

*also thinking is that what's ahead of me :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Good to chat with you too and seriously good running from you today. I think Blessington is clashing with Mrs Joad doing a triathlon this year. Haven't picked out a race yet but will nail down a plan this week.

Are you lined up Blessington for the sub 37?

Yeah its looking that way, all going well. Gonna try the Duleek 10 k in the meantime as its very local to my folks back in Drogheda, no idea what the course is like though! Wiill throw in a park run and Frank Duffy too possiblly before Blessimgton.

As long as you don't Don the onesie we can still be friends! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Gutsy running TJ. I'd be thrilled with a 3 second PB let alone a 30 second one. Well done.

Yeah its looking that way, all going well. Gonna try the Duleek 10 k in the meantime as its very local to my folks back in Drogheda, no idea what the course is like though! Wiill throw in a park run and Frank Duffy too possiblly before Blessimgton.

As long as you don't Don the onesie we can still be friends! ;)

You have permission to shoot me if you ever see me in a onesie :D

Was thinking of Duleek myself but it's a few days after Castlepollard 5k which I would like to do. I had entered Athlone HM way back in Feb/March but might switch my entry to the 10k if I can (not sure what numbers would be in the 10k is the only concern).

• Advertisement

Monday 21st: Rest

Woke up feeling crap and could barely swallow and with a head cold which explains a lot about how Sunday went - so even more pleasing to stick it out and grab a PB. Decided the body would get more of a benefit from a rest day and to load up on a bit of Vitamin C and plenty of fluids. Seemed to do the trick as I felt a lot better after it.

Tuesday 22nd: 7 mile easy @ 8:49 avg
    Felt 100 times better this morning after forgoing my early morning running for more sleep. As I had planned to do 3 mile with the work running group at lunchtime, easiest thing to do was to tag on 4 miles to this. Started the 3 miles at a nice sedate 9:51 pace for the first mile and the legs started to wake up and when I headed off for my extra 4 the legs naturally picked up the pace and the last few miles were at 8:1x pace. Spent a half an hour with the foam roller and doing a bit of stretching last night.

Continuing the theme of being good to myself this week, I didn't set the alarm for the crack of dawn this morning so will squeeze in a steady run at some stage today.

Spent a bit of time after the race thinking about the next block of training as I had entered Athlone HM way back in Fer/March and the plan had been to launch into that after Fingal. I have reassessed that with the boss man and the plan is to focus on 10k for the next block of training and leave HM plans until later in the winter. I am going to try and switch the HM entry to the 10k the same day and use that as the goal race with a 5k in the build-up.

I also went back over my 10k and 5k progression since I started this running lark - nice to see the progression and hopefully will knock more chunks of both before the year is out.

10k:
    July 2012: 41:54
    Oct 2012: 41:06
    June 2013: 40:24
    July 2014: 39:42
    Oct 2014: 39:12
    Feb 2015: 38:58
    July 2015: 38:28

5k:
    Nov 2011: 20:11
    Mar 2013: 19:36
    Mar 2013: 19:25
    Oct 2013: 19:18
    Aug 2014: 18:54
    Aug 2014: 18:39
    Dec 2014: 18:31
    Mar 2015: 18:24
    May 2015: 18:05

Anyhow - that's enough navel gazing for one day :D

Wednesday: 7.15 miles steady @ 7:38 avg pace

Headed out at lunchtime for this - it was fairly warm but there was a nice cooling breeze. The foam rolling and stretching I done last night done the legs a power of good as they were raring to go for this. Had to hold back the pace a few times and focus on not going too hard, especially on a few downhill sections. Really enjoyed this and happy with how the legs were.

Splits were as follows: 7:37;7:37:7:43;7:38;7:39:7:41;7:37;1:06

Thurs 23rd July: 7 mile easy @ 8:23 pace

Continued the theme of having lie-ins and went out in the evening for this. It was quite warm out and once the rain stopped I headed out. Forgot the garmin but it didn't really matter as I used my usual route and timed off the phone. Pretty uneventful run - just kept the pace nice and handy and felt nice and fresh.

Done a bit of core work in the evening too.

Friday 24th July
    Meant to be a rest day but answered a distress call to play a game of 5 a side with the promise to take it handy. For once, managed to take it really handy and made sure to do loads of stretches afterwards.

Done another 30 mins core work afterwards.

Saturday 25th July: 9 mile with 5x1mile w/2:30 recovery

I left this until late evening to make sure I was ok for a session after the game of 5-a-side. Headed down to the track at the local GAA pitch to do it.
    Done a nice and gentle 2 mile easy warm-up @ 8:24 pace and then got stuck in.

Splits were as follows (all with 2:30 recovery)
    6:08;
    5:59;
    5:58;
    6:01;
    6:02;
    5:58

I had a wee bit of stiffness in the thighs but nothing major. For the first rep I was feeling a wee bit creaky so held back a wee bit. It seemed to wake me up though as the legs felt fantastic after that. Last one was tough but manageable and kept the form good. There was a game being played on the other pitch and I was trying to follow it and I think this really helped divert me away from counting how many laps and how many more reps I had to do.

Done a 2 mile cool-down @ 8:15 pace for a total of 9 miles and done 30 mins stretching and foam rolling in the evening.

Sunday 26th 14 mile LSR @ 8:30 pace

Knew this would be a tough one given yesterday's session and the residual tiredness in the legs from the game of ball. I could have done with some company today but my usual long run buddy was away so had to head out on my own. Weather was horrible when I headed out and visibility was quite poor so stuck to the hard shoulder of the N3 and the footpaths around town.

All in all wasn't feeling the love for this but the legs loosened up and it stopped raining about 3 mile in and I started enjoying it. But the weather changed by mile 8 and I was running into a stiff wind and the rain was coming down in sheets. By mile 10 i was fed up and the legs were beginning to rebel against me. Last four miles were torture and it took a lot of will power to keep moving forward. I kept focus on my Sunday dinner that would be waiting for me and got through it. Was absolutely soaked to the bone after this and the legs were in bits so got the foam roller out and done a bit of stretching too.

Splits for this were as follows:
    8:11;8:13;8:35;8:33;8:19;8:21;8:26;8:25;8:21;8:37;8:41;8:39;8:54; 8:32

Total weekly mileage: 44.15 miles

Whats the goal for Athboy if your doing it J, looking at that session sub 18 at least?

Whats the goal for Athboy if your doing it J, looking at that session sub 18 at least?

Castlepollard is the goal race now - would settle for 17:59 :D.

Will I see you there?

Hope you are enjoying the hols!

Castlepollard is the goal race now - would settle for 17:59 :D.

Will I see you there?

Hope you are enjoying the hols!

Unfortunately not, doing Athboy and seeing Castlepollard is only 5 days after it wouldn't be a good idea with my injury history two hard races so close together. Hols done for another year, 17.59 is well within ya.

Unfortunately not, doing Athboy and seeing Castlepollard is only 5 days after it wouldn't be a good idea with my injury history two hard races so close together. Hols done for another year, 17.59 is well within ya.

Good sensible approach. Similar reason I'm not going to do Athboy - I'm going with the quicker course!!

I'm going with the quicker course!!

Cant blame for that, suppose to be quicker alright.

Monday 27th: 2.25m recovery @ 9:01

Plan had me down for a 20 minute recovery so headed out at lunchtime in the rain to do this. Getting really fed up of getting soaked every time I put on the runners! Kept the pace nice and handy as was feeling a bit creaky after the last few days exertions.

Headed to circuits class this evening for the first time since before the holidays - it was tough but nice to get back into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I'll post it anyway - nicely done on Saturday TJ, you're in great nick for your next 5k now

Advertisement