Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Nice work there Tom :D

Very impressive haul for such short notice :D

Thanks CM - but its a light jog compared to your efforts this weekend - fantastic stuff.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Chuffed for you J, that's fantastic.

Love the relay bit, great stuff. 2 medals........wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Very impressive multi-tasking there! Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Well done on the medal haul. We might make a sprinter out of you yet :pac:
    Tom Joad wrote: »
    Race got off with no fuss (10 laps off the track).

10 laps? Was it a 300m track?

Yep 300mtr track - definitely not a sprinter and to prove it I am lying on the couch with a heat pack on my hammy hoping and praying that I'm not crocked and just the muscles are not used to sprintwork. Have made two attempts to run since Monday and had to abandon both with soreness in my hamstring and groin. We'll see what it like in the morning..

• Advertisement

Turns out worked the hamstrings with heat done the trick and I got 7 miles in this morning in 55:45 (7:58 pace). Horrible morning for it with wind, rain and hail but I was just happy to get out and running again...

Reinvigorated by my lucky escape with the hamstrings (I have a long history of wrecking my hamstrings :rolleyes: and was planking it for most of the week that I had done real damage) and Runningking's comments about my last attempt at the McMillan Ultimate 10k workout (had planned to do it McMillan but found a convenient cop out by doing it the Daniels threshold way and he called me on it - respect man :D), decided that I would do the McMillan build-up session two and properly (1 X 2mile followed by 4 x 1mile).

Today was always going to be an arse of a day work wise and other commitments this evening so went out at 5.30am :eek: to GAA pitch in the wind and rain - session went like this.

0.5 mile warm-up -too wet and windy to do much more.

2 mile in 12:28 (6:06 & 6:22) - happy with that and wind had died down at this stage.

0.5 mile 5 min recovery jog/brisk walk :pac:

4 x 1 mile (6:17, 6:19, 6:21, 6:20) with 3 min jog (very slowly) recoveries in between.

0.5 mile warm-down.

Was dreading this, especially on an empty stomach, but while it was very very tough am delighted for getting it done and kept to goal 10k pace or under the whole way.

Fantastic way to start a day :D:D

Total: 7.5 miles

thats a super session at a 'normal' time of the day.
    At 5:30am in that wind and rain - fantastic session.

Dont think I'd have the dedication to get up at that time to do that session.

Maybe you should look out for 10k's that start at 5:30am? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

^^^^^^^what RK said!

I've often finished a session at 5:30am but never had the guts to start one at that time:eek::eek::eek: Fair play

Maybe you should look out for 10k's that start at 5:30am? :)

Sounds like a good plan alright :D Don't worry I won't be making a habit of it - it was needs must and perhaps my body let me away with it because it hadn't woken up yet!!

• Advertisement

6.5 miles 51:15 (7:52 pace) - Nothing special just a nice easy recovery run..

LSR - 12 miles

12 miles in 96:50 (including 1 min pit stop ;)) pace 8:00 - happy with that especially in such horrible conditions - was bitter and very windy but that's the longest I've run in 3 years so happy out and felt strong the whole way around and fresh too even after 4 days running in a row..

Weekly Total: 38 Miles

LSR took a lot of me so skipped the club session yesterday as I was feeling sore - also had a blister which I wanted to mind until I got plasters.. (all very sensible so far). Plan for today was nice easy paced run for 7 miles..

Had a crap nights sleep so was postponing run till this evening - got a last minute call to play 5 a-side astro at lunchtime (no problem would stay in goals!!). We were losing and one of our lads got injured so I ended up outfield for 55 minutes - take it easy - no not me!! Ran around like a looney and hurt my groin (have a long standing injury here and need to mind it but doesn't effect running normally). Done a lot of stretching after ball and decided to get a run in.

Ran 5 mile (cut it short as was feeling the pain) in 8:40 pace and was getting progressively slower each mile. Spent last hour with a heat pack on the injury and done a lot of stretching so hopefully have done no lasting damage.

Really silly stuff - a) playing ball and b) running tonight.

was planning a tempo run taking in 5k course I will be doing next weekend for tomorrow at lunchtime but will have to see how I feel in the morning :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

LSR took a lot of me so skipped the club session yesterday as I was feeling sore - also had a blister which I wanted to mind until I got plasters.. (all very sensible so far). Plan for today was nice easy paced run for 7 miles..

Had a crap nights sleep so was postponing run till this evening - got a last minute call to play 5 a-side astro at lunchtime (no problem would stay in goals!!). We were losing and one of our lads got injured so I ended up outfield for 55 minutes - take it easy - no not me!! Ran around like a looney and hurt my groin (have a long standing injury here and need to mind it but doesn't effect running normally). Done a lot of stretching after ball and decided to get a run in.

Ran 5 mile (cut it short as was feeling the pain) in 8:40 pace and was getting progressively slower each mile. Spent last hour with a heat pack on the injury and done a lot of stretching so hopefully have done no lasting damage.

Really silly stuff - a) playing ball and b) running tonight.

was planning a tempo run taking in 5k course I will be doing next weekend for tomorrow at lunchtime but will have to see how I feel in the morning :(

Hopefully you will be grand Tom

You'd be MAD to do a tempo tomorrow.

Football is like an anaerobic session, it needs time to recover from, just like a speed session.

Playing ball wasn't silly, getting injured was!

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Hopefully you will be grand Tom

Sorry, that's what I meant to say :)

You'd be MAD to do a tempo tomorrow.

Football is like an anaerobic session, it needs time to recover from, just like a speed session.

Playing ball wasn't silly, getting injured was!

Nah thinking that a 5 a-side kickabout was the world cup final and I was Roy Keane vs Juventus in '99 was the stupid bit:D. All running off the agenda for today - still very achey today so will reassess in the morning.

bit of an update and back on track. Went out on Thursday to do interval session and only lasted 100metres - knew I wasn't right so abandoned the session.

Friday 17th

Had to get out early for this session so was on the track for 10 to 6 - not ideal for speedwork. Plan said 4X200 with 200 jog recoveries (0.43), 2x400 with 400 jog recovery (1:26), 1x800 with 800 jog recovery (2:52), 2x400 again and 4x200..

1 mile warm up
    1st set of 200s were all between 38 and 40 secs, 400's were 1;23 and 1;24, 800 was 2:51, next 400s were 1:24 and 1:26, last 200s were between 40 and 43. Good tough session
    1 mile warm down

Total 7 mile

Saturday 18th
    was down in Kerry for the weekend so got a lovely run in around listowel. Done 7 miles in 56:10 (8:04 pace) included a tough 2 mile uphill (240ft rise in 2miles). First run in new GT 2000s and was pleased with them.

Sunday 19th
    LSR - have a 5k next Sunday so only done 10mile - first run that felt like summer - 10 miles in 1:21:01 (8:07 pace)

Weekly total: 4 sessions - 29 miles.

Taking it handy this week mileage wise with race on Sunday. Didn't get out yesterday for a variety of reasons so done a 6 mile tonight in 44:38 (7:26 pace) - was a nice quick run in my new runners - felt tough but good. Will do a bit of speed work tomorrow but nothing mad..:)

Was very indecisive and couldn't figure out what speed work I would do - eventually settled on 12 x 200mtrs at 43s with 200mtr jog recoveries.

First 7 were all between 37 and 39 secs. 8, 9 and 10 were 40-41 and last two were 39 and 37..

1 mile between warm-up and cool-down..

Total: 4 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great work going on here Tom. Best of luck on Sunday. Where is the race on?

blockic wrote: »
    Great work going on here Tom. Best of luck on Sunday. Where is the race on?

Cheers Blockic - the club are co-hosting the race! - its in CastleSaunderson 5k (its right on Cavan - Fermanagh) border..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Cheers Blockic - the club are co-hosting the race! - its in CastleSaunderson 5k (its right on Cavan - Fermanagh) border..

Cool. Don't think I've ever been in Cavan or Fermanagh! :D I reckon there will be a good chunk of your PB come Sunday night!

blockic wrote: »
    Cool. Don't think I've ever been in Cavan or Fermanagh! :D I reckon there will be a good chunk of your PB come Sunday night!

Jaysus you haven't lived.. :D:D We'll see - am not feeling the love lately so will settle for a 1 second PB:D

Nice slow run tonight just to get the legs moving before race on Sunday. Done 5 mile in 41:03 (8:13 pace).

Rest day tomorrow!

Best of luck J - my Wifes family are from Cavan. Kilinkere, near virginia.
    Believe it or not, I was meant to be up there tomorrow - could've brought the runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Nice slow run tonight just to get the legs moving before race on Sunday. Done 5 mile in 41:03 (8:13 pace).

Rest day tomorrow!

Thought you said nice SLOW run ? Best of luck tomorrow

Best of luck J - my Wifes family are from Cavan. Kilinkere, near virginia.
    Believe it or not, I was meant to be up there tomorrow - could've brought the runners.

You lucky man - married to a woman with Cavan blood :D

Pity you weren't available to pace me to a PB :D

CastleSaunderson 10k - 20:01

Had been dreaming off a PB (current is 19:25) until I done a quick recce off the course beforehand and realised that it was not a PB course as there was very little flat surface and a few tough gradual hills. Second plan was to run under 20. Started out near the top off the field and lined up beside Catriona McKiernan :eek:. She said she was taking it easy so stayed with her for the first km and reached the 1k at 3:32 which was a bit daft!! Slowed down for the second km as trail got rough and was a few wee hills, third and fourth kms were very tough and the ground sapped the legs. Was trying to keep up with the first male over 35 but couldn't seem to get beside him. By 4k was finding it tough and it got very humid when under the forest canopy but managed to reel in the leading male over 35 and passed him at 4.5k - finished strong and thought I had timed it perfectly as watch read 19:59. Checked finish time and was down for 20:01 so will take that..

Finished 12th overall and first in the male over 35. Was slightly disappointed with time but in reality it was a very challenged course. Superbly organised race with over 600 people and loads of family events. My 3 year old also won his first medal in the under 8's :D.

• Advertisement

12th is a job well done. Sometimes it's a race against the watch, other times its just a race!
    Well don on a hot day.

Advertisement