Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

one last one to consider

http://www.runforit.org.uk/Documents/PDFs/Training%20plans/London%20Marathon%20-%20Half%20Marathon%20Training%20Schedule%20Sub%201h%2030m.pdf

I like to layout to this one it gives you the correct paces to aim for for every run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

6 mile at 8:10 pace

Had my eldest's birthday party today and a house full off toddlers so got out at 6am for this - shocked at how warm it was at that time..

Will do 10mile LSR tomorrow and then start on Clontarf plan..

10 mile LSR:

Had most off a bottle of wine last night, was late to bed and took very little water on board yesterday so wasn't expecting this to be pretty and it was humid out when I got out..

Actually turned out to be a decent run and felt good - it was a tough hilly route I picked as well so happy with this.

Done the 10 @ 8:19 average pace

Splits were - 8:13, 7:54, 8:12, 8:19, 8:20, 8:18, 8:18, 8:36, 8:36, 8:16 - pace was up and down but mainly due to the hills and downhill bit..

Weekly total: 28 miles

Got the all clear from physio to resume speed work today so decided to go to club training tonight. Done a lot of core work and stretching followed by some speed work. Delighted with speed work and no reaction from injury so happy days:).

Done a few mile warm down afterwards.

Total 6 miles

6 mile easy

Started on my Clontarf plan - runnersworld break 1:30 plan (Cheers Statss :))

Got out at 6am and done 6 miles - ran to how I felt and averaged 8:03 pace - including a final mile 7:30 - felt good and fresh

Will do some core work and stretching this evening...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

good stuff, I think I'll give the plan a lash myself after DCM so I'll be reading on with interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Tom Joad wrote: »
    6 mile easy

Started on my Clontarf plan - runnersworld break 1:30 plan (Cheers Statss :))

We will get you there don't worry even if I have to drag you and all other pacees across the line (Lifted one guy out of it who tried to sit down for a min with 800m to go last time I paced this :D)

ecoli wrote: »
    We will get you there don't worry even if I have to drag you and all other pacees across the line (Lifted one guy out of it who tried to sit down for a min with 800m to go last time I paced this :D)

Oh no pressure so :o. Dragging me across sounds good to me :D

5 mile easy

Legs felt great so pushed on a bit tonight and averaged 7:52 pace so happy with that.

Splits were: 8:11, 7:55, 7:46, 7:57, 7:33.

6 mile easy:
    Had a rare lunchtime run today on a new route and averaged 7:44 for the 6 miles. Felt good and strong but probably need to rein in this easy runs..

Splits were: 7:41,7:44,7:38,7:59, 7:49, 7:35

Have a 6k race with the club on Sunday so will do my LSR tomorrow and take Saturday as a rest day..

• Advertisement

10 mile LSR:

Got out at 5:30 for this as its the only way i could fit in 10 mile today - was a fantastic morning and for 6 miles didn't meet a person or a car. Felt good and comfortable the whole way around and had to rein in the pace a few times. Average pace was 8:09

splits were:
    8:25, 8:17, 8:10, 7:53, 8:05, 8:13, 8:13, 8:01, 8:19, 7:50.

Rest day tomorrow :)

7 mile incl 6km race

Had a 6k race as part off winter league season with the club today. Didn't know what to expect from it really as I hadn't done any proper speed session since the first week in July(aside from a bit with the club last Monday), plus had a few niggly injuries lately and was a wee bit worried about the knee. However had a good two weeks training since Athlone so felt reasonably confident going into this.

Had done my LSR early Friday to rest up but unfortunately I finally got a stomach bug yesterday that the rest of the house had succumbed to but felt ok this morning so was happy enough.

Heard before hand that course had a few wee hills so wasn't sure what to expect especially as it was two laps of the course. Got off great though and was a fair downhill section and 1st k was 3:47, 2nd had a tough hill so was pleased with 3:53, 3rd k was mostly uphill and suddenly my stomach was in ribbons - a few people passed me which didn't help but was still pleased enough with 4:03 and not overly concerned esp as the two that passed were club mates. 4th k was really rough and ended up in the ditch as stomach finally got the better off me - legs were a bit wobbly after that but finally got going. - 4th k was 5:07 :eek:. Was out on my own at that stage and knew that if I kept around the 4:00 min k mark should be ok. Managed last 2ks in 4:07 and 4:09 for a 25:06 finish and wasn't passed again :P.

While obviously not pleased with my time and wondered afterwards if I had been a bit more conservative at the start would I have been ok especially with such a tough course (it really was horrible) and 6k felt a bit funny especially as I raced it like a 5k but have had no 5k work done in ages.

However, not going to over analyse this, especially as stomach has been in ribbons all day since. Will keep going with hm plan but am toying with the idea of throwing in a 5k session a week for next 3 weeks to see can I PB in next 5k race on October 20th.

Weekly total: 40 miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

7 mile incl 6km race

Had a 6k race as part off winter league season with the club today. Didn't know what to expect from it really as I hadn't done any proper speed session since the first week in July(aside from a bit with the club last Monday), plus had a few niggly injuries lately and was a wee bit worried about the knee. However had a good two weeks training since Athlone so felt reasonably confident going into this.

Had done my LSR early Friday to rest up but unfortunately I finally got a stomach bug yesterday that the rest of the house had succumbed to but felt ok this morning so was happy enough.

Heard before hand that course had a few wee hills so wasn't sure what to expect especially as it was two laps of the course. Got off great though and was a fair downhill section and 1st k was 3:47, 2nd had a tough hill so was pleased with 3:53, 3rd k was mostly uphill and suddenly my stomach was in ribbons - a few people passed me which didn't help but was still pleased enough with 4:03 and not overly concerned esp as the two that passed were club mates. 4th k was really rough and ended up in the ditch as stomach finally got the better off me - legs were a bit wobbly after that but finally got going. - 4th k was 5:07 :eek:. Was out on my own at that stage and knew that if I kept around the 4:00 min k mark should be ok. Managed last 2ks in 4:07 and 4:09 for a 25:06 finish and wasn't passed again :P.

While obviously not pleased with my time and wondered afterwards if I had been a bit more conservative at the start would I have been ok especially with such a tough course (it really was horrible) and 6k felt a bit funny especially as I raced it like a 5k but have had no 5k work done in ages.

However, not going to over analyse this, especially as stomach has been in ribbons all day since. Will keep going with hm plan but am toying with the idea of throwing in a 5k session a week for next 3 weeks to see can I PB in next 5k race on October 20th.

I'd just focus on the hm plan, great time Tom

6 Mile easy:

Lovely evening for a run and the legs felt good and strong so didn't bother looking at the watch. Finished the 6 mile with an average pace of 7:57 so happy with that.

Was talked into playing a game of 5 a-side tomorrow.

Another Month over and done with - Delighted with HM in Athlone and first two weeks of next HM plan after frustrating start to the month. Was hoping for a lot higher mileage but first two weeks put paid to that!

Plan for October is to keep going with HM plan - hopefully stay injury free and get all the sessions done. Have a 5k race locally on 20th October too.

Month|Miles
    Jan|57
    Feb|78
    Mar|87.45
    Apr|125.7
    May|117
    Jun|105
    Jul|125.5
    Aug|125.5
    Sept|112.5
    Total|933.65

Yay I got a table now (shamelessy robbed it off Career_Moves log but its still a table!! :) )

5 Mile easy

Horrendous weather here all day and with the wind and rain decided to use the dreadmill tonight. Done 5 mile at 7:52 pace so happy enough with that.

7 mile (incl 6 x 800)

First speed session since start of July and it showed in that I just couldn't find the right pace:eek:

Done 1 mile warm up and then done the 6 x 800s with 400 jog/walk recoveries as per plan. Was aim for 3:10 per 800.

Splits were
    1st 800 - 2:48 (way too fast)
    2nd 800 - 2:52 (was consciously trying to slow down)
    3rd 800 - 2:54 (thought I was going too slow at one stage and speeded up)
    4th 800 - 2:58
    5th 800 - 3:02 (yay, only 8 secs off pace :P)
    6th 800 - 3:06 (yay, nearly there :))

1.5 mile warm down to total 7 miles.

While on the one hand I was happy that I could do the 6 x800s fairly comfortably at a pace quicker than 5k pace and thought at times I was goinf too slow, it does highlight that the long time without speed work has impacted on my ability to judge my pace (something I had always struggled with) and it does highlight why I had such trouble and discomfort in recent 10ks and 5ks so its something I need to keep a close eye on.

6 Mile @ 8:02 pace

In Dublin all day so had to get out at 5am - surprised myself and managed to run a good pace and even had a 7:35 final mile. :)

Signed up for a 6km cross-country race with the club in the morning which should be fun!!

Cross - Country 6km
    First attempt at cross country and thoroughly enjoyed it to my great surprise. Was a lovely morning here - just about perfect for running. Course was very muddy and hilly - it was 6 laps off a big muddy hilly field basically!!

Didn't know how to play this but was determined not to head off too fast so spent first 2 laps off course in the middle of the pack and felt comfortable - a few slippy moments but nothing major. Started to push on during lap 3 and eventually settled into a good comfortable pace - was on the shoulder off a club mate by this stage and was quite happy to work together - we managed to get a healthy lead from the chasing pack and 1st and 2nd had a comfortable lead so stayed together until final lap. Was thinking off pushing on over the last lap but didn't want to risk an injury as course was badly cut up in places by this stage. Had a bit off a sprint to the line but to be honest I was a bit half hearted about it. Was delighted with a 4th place finish and a team gold so happy days. Also means I'm eligible for novice again next year :D:D.

Forgot to stop the garmin and it was on miles but from uploading the run am calling it at 28:20 for 6k.

With warm-up and warm down total 6 miles.

Done a bit off stretching and foam rolling tonight ahead of LSR tomorrow.

• Advertisement

12 Mile LSR

Was hoping that the legs wouldn't be too tired for this after yesterdays exertions and was planning to keep the pace nice and slow for the first few miles. Didn't really pan out like that as had to keep trying to slow down. Wasn't a problem over last few miles as these were up a long drag with the wind blowing directly into my face. Still managed a nice quick final mile though :)

Splits were 8:13, 7:41, 7:46, 7:50, 8:05, 7:54, 8:09, 8:01, 8:11, 8:19, 8:22, 7:32

So average pace was exactly 8:00 and very happy with that. Nicely capped off a good weeks work.

Weekly total: 42 miles.

7 Mile easy

Got out nice and early (5:30) this morning - done 7 mile while still half asleep (bad night with teething baby) - don't remember much off it was on auto-pilot. Checked my garmin at one stage to see that I had run at 7:30 mile so focussed a bit more and finished with an average pace of 7:57. Happy with that and was a lovely mild morning for a run.

6 Mile easy

Another early one and another great morning for running. 6 mile in 47:08 (7:49 average Pace). Wasn't checking the watch so surprised that it was so quick - didn't feel that way - am going to have to rein these easy runs in though and get more disciplined about keeping on pace.

Splits were 8:11, 7:54, 7:36, 7:37, 7:58, 7:35

Done an hour of core work last night too so happy with that.

Have a HMP session tomorrow so hoping to nail 5 mile @ HMP.

7 mile with 5 @ HMP (6:52)

Was nervous about this session as I usually misjudge the pace and struggle badly - don't think I've ever got one right.:eek: So was determined to do everything right to give myself the best chance to nail this one. Decided to do it at lunchtime as wanted to do it on a flatish route - so hard shoulder off road was preferred route. Brought gear to work and was changed into my running gear when I realised I had forgotten my runners - thankfully had an old pair in the boot so decided to go ahead wearing them - really didn't want to postpone as I had psyched myself up for it by now.

Done 1 mile warm-up @ 8:30 pace and then started off - was trying to keep an eye on the pace screen on the garmin but still managed a 6:25 first mile :mad:, slowed down on second and managed a 6:47:) (still a bit quick but felt ok). As is usally the case after starting too quickly I started feeling the pace now and was struggling. Had planned for this and knew that mentally I had to get through it and HTFU so concentrated on my breathing until I stopped suffering and it worked :) and Mile 3 was bang on target at 6:52. Mile 4 and 5 sailed by in 6:48 :Dand 6:49:D for an average pace of 6:44. Done a mile cool down @ 8:30 pace.

Absolutely delighted with this session as I've struggled on these and focussing on my breathing got me through the tough bits and I felt strong over last 2 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

7 mile with 5 @ HMP (6:52)

Was nervous about this session as I usually misjudge the pace and struggle badly - don't think I've ever got one right.:eek: So was determined to do everything right to give myself the best chance to nail this one. Decided to do it at lunchtime as wanted to do it on a flatish route - so hard shoulder off road was preferred route. Brought gear to work and was changed into my running gear when I realised I had forgotten my runners - thankfully had an old pair in the boot so decided to go ahead wearing them - really didn't want to postpone as I had psyched myself up for it by now.

Done 1 mile warm-up @ 8:30 pace and then started off - was trying to keep an eye on the pace screen on the garmin but still managed a 6:25 first mile :mad:, slowed down on second and managed a 6:47:) (still a bit quick but felt ok). As is usally the case after starting too quickly I started feeling the pace now and was struggling. Had planned for this and knew that mentally I had to get through it and HTFU so concentrated on my breathing until I stopped suffering and it worked :) and Mile 3 was bang on target at 6:52. Mile 4 and 5 sailed by in 6:48 :Dand 6:49:D for an average pace of 6:44. Done a mile cool down @ 8:30 pace.

Absolutely delighted with this session as I've struggled on these and focussing on my breathing got me through the tough bits and I felt strong over last 2 miles.

I know how you feel - every tempo I've done has been at a higher pace - the times I managed to get it right was to 'run into the time' - if you are aiming for 6:50's - then aim for 7:00's and get a good rhythm, you'll be better able to control it. But looks like you nailed the later miles.
    The constant speed up/slow down is a killer.

I know how you feel - every tempo I've done has been at a higher pace - the times I managed to get it right was to 'run into the time' - if you are aiming for 6:50's - then aim for 7:00's and get a good rhythm, you'll be better able to control it. But looks like you nailed the later miles.
    The constant speed up/slow down is a killer.

That sounds like something I might try. It's funny though when I was struggling and focusing on my breathing to get through the tough bits I was thinking about what you were saying before about so much of running being mental - really resonated with me during that run. Another reason I'm delighted with it - will be something to draw on when the going gets tough in a race.

Hope your recovery is progressing.:)

• Advertisement

6 Mile Easy

Played a game of 5 a side yesterday so moved run to today.

Done 6 mile nice and easy - average pace was 7:58 - 13 mile LSR tomorrow..

13 Mile LSR:

Picked a brand new route that I have never run before just to vary things - was a lovely morning for running and headed out early. Felt nice and comfortable although first few miles were a bit on the quick side but first half of the run was either flat or downhill and last 5 miles were mainly uphill and had a few tough hills but felt good and strong even if pace dropped a wee bit. Finished with average pace of 7:57 so delighted with that.

Splits were 7:59; 7:38; 7:44; 7:47; 7:56; 7:54; 7:55; 8:10; 8:09; 8:11; 8:07; 7:42

Oh and this run took me over the 1,000 mile mark for 2013 :eek::eek::D:D.

Weekly total: 39 miles

13 Mile LSR:

Picked a brand new route that I have never run before just to vary things - was a lovely morning for running and headed out early. Felt nice and comfortable although first few miles were a bit on the quick side but first half of the run was either flat or downhill and last 5 miles were mainly uphill and had a few tough hills but felt good and strong even if pace dropped a wee bit. Finished with average pace of 7:57 so delighted with that.

Splits were 7:59; 7:38; 7:44; 7:47; 7:56; 7:54; 7:55; 8:10; 8:09; 8:11; 8:07; 7:42

Oh and this run took me over the 1,000 mile mark for 2013 :eek::eek::D:D.

Weekly total: 39 miles

Well done on the 1000 miles great running

Went to the club this evening. Done a lot of core work and speed work. Legs a bit tired after yesterday but nice tough workout.

With warm-up and cool down was 5 mile total running..

6 Mile Recovery:

Played a game of 5 a-side yesterday so done today's run at recovery pace. Legs were tired and heavy which is not surprising given 3 days in a row of tough sessions between running and football. Pace was 8:30 - will do another 6 mile easy tomorrow and then take two rest days before race on Sunday.

• Advertisement

5 Mile Recovery

Was a silly boy and played a game of 5 a side yesterday even though I knew it was a bad idea as was still sore from Tuesday's effort :rolleyes:. Went for a 5 mile run this morning to see how much damage I done. Nice easy pace and done the 5 at 8:30 pace. Hopefully any residual soreness and stiffness will be gone tomorrow.

Run With Catherina 5km

Was looking forward to this for quite as it was organised by the club and I knew the route like the back of my hand as I do most of my training using part of the route. Haven't been focussing on short stuff for a while so when planning a strategy was looking at being happy with sub 20, chuffed with sub 19:30 and dream stuff was a PB - previous was 19:25 back at the end of March.

Stupidly played two games of football during the week including one on Friday during which I managed to aggravate an old groin injury. Anyway wasn't feeling too confident yesterday or this morning about this.

Got caught in a haymaker off a shower before the start but was very relaxed as was on home turf and loads from the club were running. Started right up front so got off to a speedy start - was conscious of the need not to go off too fast and reined it in but still passed 1k at 3:38. Got into a nice rythmn and was a group of 3 of us together for the next few kms. 2nd km was at 3:55 pace with next one at 3:56 - was happy with that especially as there was a bit of a drag on the 2nd km.

The girl in the group started to fall off over the next km and the other guy running in the group was doing my head in as he kept running across my running line on turns and corners. Tried to shake him off but he was determined to race me to every corner. So I let him off with a promise to myself that I would hunt him down on the finishing straight. 4th km was 3:57 and I realised that I was on for a PB if I got the finger out so upped the pace and started passing a few people - looked at garmin at this stage and seen that there was 400mtrs to go with the finish line ahead. Spotted my nemesis ahead and started to hunt him down. Was running out off road to catch him and was only 100 metres to go when I put the boot down and caught him just before the line for a sweet finish. :D:D Last km was 3:46 for a finish time off 19:18 a 7 second PB and 29th overall. Amazing the way injuries clear up when you have a good race too!!:D

Had time for a quick welcome cup of coffee in the rain and then cheered Mrs Joad home (she had a 3 min PB) so was a happy house today.

Six pack off beer in the fridge chilling now and back to the HM training Tuesday..

Total today of 6 mile with warm-up and cool-down. Weekly total of 22 miles (was a step back week in HM plan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Super stuff TJ :D

Well done Tom great result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

6 pack of beer? Don't ya know most of us are on the dry for another 8 days?!!

Great race all the same

Gavlor wrote: »
    6 pack of beer? Don't ya know most of us are on the dry for another 8 days?!!

Great race all the same

make that a 5 pack now :D. I don't do marathons so therefore I deserve beer.. :D

7 mile with 3 @ HMP

Took a rest day yesterday after Sunday's race.

Headed out at lunchtime to do this session and amazingly it didn't rain - although I wasn't prepared for the wind that was blowing into my face for most of this.

Anyway decided to do 2 mile easy first but these were a bit on the quick side at 7:39 and 7:40 - legs were fairly tired and heavy and unresponsive so was finding it difficult to find a comfortable pace. Done the 3 mile @ HMP next and first felt tough but good (6:52 pace - bang on target :)) 2nd and 3rd were tough and a real struggle but pace was good for both ( 6:48 and 6:45) Last two miles at easy pace were tough as legs were very heavy and the wind was straight into my face. Wasn't checking pace so was surprised to see it was 7:45 and 7:40 for last two.

Overall happy with this session - knew it was going to be a struggle but happy to get it done - esp as weather has taken another turn for the worse here now so a lot of comfort knowing I don't have to go out in it this evening :D:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Well done on the race last weekend TJ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

blockic wrote: »
    Well done on the race last weekend TJ!

+1 to that

6 Mile easy:

Out at 5:30 for this and all i can say is I can't wait for time to change - was black dark out. Ran pretty much on autopilot and as they legs still have a bit of residual tiredness in them wasn't worrying about pace. Was fairly blustery out as well..

Finished the 6 mile in avg pace of 8:22.

Session for tomorrow is down as 8 mile with 4x1 mile repeats @ 5k pace but might swop around the days and do another easy run tomorrow and leave that till Friday.

Next pair of runners arrived today too :D Exact same as current pair - even down to colour!! But if it ain't broke..........

• Advertisement

6 Mile easy:

Decided to swop around days and do the easy run today and leave the intervals until tomorrow, rest day Saturday and 13 miler Sunday.

Absolutely lovely evening for a run and nice to have the legs feeling fresh. Wore the new runners too to break them in and no problems on that front :).
    Done the 6 mile at a comfortable 7:55 average pace.

Hopefully weather will hold for intervals in the morning..

7 miles with 4 x 1 mile intervals:

Finally go out to do this at lunchtime. Done a 1 mile nice slow warm-up followed by the 1 mile intervals with a 400mtr walk/jog recovery and a 1 mile cool-down. Managed to get out in the dry which was a bonus - even if it was very blustery.

Splits were as follows: (was aiming for 6:14 intervals)
    Mile 1: 6:02 (way too fast but felt comfortable)
    Mile 2: 6:12 - again nice and comfortable
    Mile 3: 6:15 - was very blustery on this one and felt like I was constantly running into the wind :mad:
    Mile 4: 6:13 - felt nice and comfortable

Overall delighted with this session - felt nice and comfortable and could easily have done another interval.

Rest day tomorrow with 13 mile LSR on Sunday.

14 Mile LSR:

Remember my bright idea to buy the exact same runners again and alternate
    between them for a few weeks?? That plan was fool proof :o:rolleyes::mad:

Was down in Kerry for the weekend but brought the running gear and had picked out a lovely 13 mile route. Was very stormy and wet Sunday morning but got the gear on and was just putting my runners on when I noticed I had somehow packed two left runners - one of the new pair and one of the old pair - was raging for a few minutes but eventually seen the funny side - was probably a blessing in disguise though as was really rough out and probably not a good idea to run especially as was on a lot of windy roads..

Anyhow had to postpone the run until today when I got home. Got out this afternoon and picked a brand new route. Was feeling so good that done 14 miles instead of the 13 in the plan. Average pace was 8:02 and splits were

8:08, 7:44, 7:50, 7:50, 8:09, 8:12, 8:11, 8:15, 8:17, 8:02, 7:57, 7:51, 7:55, 7:53.

Delighted with this and especially the last few miles where I felt strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

You're flying lately TJ, keep up the good work.

6 Mile Recovery:

Am a day behind this week already so decided to do a 6 mile at recovery pace. Got the gloves out for this for first time since February :eek:.

Was cold but perfect night for running. Ran on autopilot - have to do a big presentation for work tomorrow so was doing it in my head and run flew by. :D

Finished the 6 mile in average pace of 8:27..

6 mile with 3 @ HMP to fit in tomorrow - should be fun as I leave for Dublin at 6 am!! :mad:

5 Mile with 3 @ HMP:

Was under pressure for time to fit this in as was in Dublin all day and was late back. Had a very late heavy dinner too as was eating on the run all day. Anyhow got an hour window of opportunity so headed out. Plan said 6 mile with 3 @ HMP but cut a mile out to fit in this run. Done 1 mile warm up at 8:25 pace followed by 3 @ HMP, HMP splits were 6:42, 6:41 and 6:50. Done 1 mile cool down at 8:30 pace.

Overall happy with this session even if it was all a bit rushed..

5.5 Mile easy @ 7:42 pace

Plan had me down for 5 mile @ 7:57 pace. Got out at lunchtime as have to go trick or treating tonight with my young lad :D. Was a lovely afternoon and wasn't paying much heed to the pace until I checked it at the end of the 3rd mile - was surprised that it was so quick and reined it in over the last 2 mile. Added on an extra 1/2 mile to get me back to the office.

Splits were 7:42, 7:32, 7:30, 8:00, 7:50, 3:50 (last 0.5)

Another month done and easily the highest mileage month I've ever done. Hopefully will be lots more like thses to come. Happy with training for HM and also delighted to have a new PB for 5k.

Next month is all about half marathon in Clontarf and hopefully getting closer to a sub 90 HM.

Also passed the 1,000 mile mark in October :)

Month|Miles
    Jan|57
    Feb|78
    Mar|87.45
    Apr|125.7
    May|117
    Jun|105
    Jul|125.5
    Aug|125.5
    Sept|112.5
    Oct|160.5
    Total|1094.15

8 Mile with 8 x 800 (@ 3:10 pace)

As I intend to drink lots of beer tonight decided to get out early this morning to do this - track was still dark so had to avoid the small goals left on the track at random places :o.

Done 1 mile warm-up @ 8:35.

800's were as follows:
    1: 2:52 (usual way too fast first one)
    2: 3:03 (a bit better)
    3: 2:58 (no idea :confused::confused:)
    4: 3:04 (nearly there)
    At this stage I decided that Dropkick Murphy's live is not a good soundtrack when trying to maintain a steady pace, so switched to a more sedate bit of Johnny Cash and it seemed to work. :D
    5: 3:07
    6: 3:08
    7: 3:07
    8: 2:59 (decided on a sprint finish as was feeling good :))

1 mile warm -down @ 8:50 and done 400 mtrs slow recovery jogs between intervals for 8 mile total.

Happy with this session as felt comfortable and no niggles or aches despite running for 5 days in a row and yesterday being way too fast.

• Advertisement

16 Mile LSR @ 7:57 pace

Plan called for a 15 mile LSR @ 7:57 pace. Spent yesterday nursing the mother of all hangovers and eating hangover food :o so wasn't sure if this would be a struggle. Brought two gels with me and money to stop for water and headed off this morning. Took me a while to get into my stride. Took two gels, one at 5 mile and the second at 10 and didn't bother stopping for water. Last two miles were tough as they had fairly major hills but delighted to get this done and was exactly on pace @ average of 7:57 pace even though I wasn't really paying much heed to pace.

Splits were - 7:55, 7:43, 7:50, 7:52, 8:06, 8:18 (taking gel), 7:55, 7:56, 7:55, 8:02, 8:14 (gel), 7:57, 7:45, 7:40, 7:50, 8:10 (mother of all hills :))

Weekly total: 40.5 miles

Advertisement