Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Ah we're all entitled to our opinions, but at 16ish they were very exciting live - spot on & flawless.

A lot to be said in a world of music that's plastic & manufactured to f*ck.

Good for them I say.
    Not really when we've got forward-thinking artists like The Knife and Boards of Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Catmologen wrote: »
    Id say they'll be mad to...

Didn't see that coming..

Good one.

Definitely not cool cats like you..

If you don't set out to be the biggest band in the world, you're wasting your time.

Indie is for idiots.
    You don't listen to a wide variety of music do you? :)

I would say if you're not going out there to make the music you WANT to make regardless of whether it makes you an a-list or z-list artist then you are wasting your time. It's not art otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

I love Haim. That is all.

You make that assumption, why?

I don't listen to music for the sake of it. I don't listen to music to impress people.

If you are genuinely artistic, you would strive to be the best at what you do. Bumming about playing to a bunch of students doesn't mean you are indie or alternative, in most cases it just means you are too average to be mainstream.

Almost every succeasful band nowadays starts out like that. They're all tryin to get to the same place though.

Anything else is just window dressing.. Punk rock was alternative. 'Indie' music isn't.

• Advertisement

I don't listen to music for the sake of it. I don't listen to music to impress people.

If you are genuinely artistic, you would strive to be the best at what you do. Bumming about playing to a bunch of students doesn't mean you are indie or alternative, in most cases it just means you are too average to be mainstream.

Almost every succeasful band nowadays starts out like that. They're all tryin to get to the same place though.

Anything else is just window dressing.. Punk rock was alternative. 'Indie' music isn't.
    You are right in saying you should be the best at what you do. But being the best at what you do isn't necessarily going to get you mainstream attention mainly because of WHAT you do. You could be the best death metal band in the world but you're hardly going to bother the top of the charts because you're not going to appeal to the average music fan.

Not quite sure where you are going with the whole indie thing as 'indie' and 'alternative' basically mean the same thing. Punk rock is seen by many as the start of the DIY movement so you could say that punk gave birth to the modern idea of independent music.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I would say that Sonic Youth were never mainstream but I definitely wouldn't call them average. I'd say the same about Can.

Suas11 wrote: »
    I would say that Sonic Youth were never mainstream but I definitely wouldn't call them average. I'd say the same about Can.
    Well they did appear in The Simpsons, but Sonic Youth were awesome no matter what.

So.. Glastonbury eh? Some craic :)

You are right in saying you should be the best at what you do. But being the best at what you do isn't necessarily going to get you mainstream attention mainly because of WHAT you do. You could be the best death metal band in the world but you're hardly going to bother the top of the charts because you're not going to appeal to the average music fan.

Not quite sure where you are going with the whole indie thing as 'indie' and 'alternative' basically mean the same thing. Punk rock is seen by many as the start of the DIY movement so you could say that punk gave birth to the modern idea of independent music.

But Death Metal is shít. It's for a select group of morons and that's why it isn't mainstream and never could be.

I was making the point that punk was genuinely out there and alternative to mainstream music and culture. Indie/Alternative (don't like or understand the boundaries of either of those terms) is another word for unsigned music as far as I can tell.

Pretty much every band wants to be mainstream.. There isn't really a movement of alternative music. Just undiscovered bands.

Maybe I'm wrong, but just don't get it. You made some good points anyway. Untimately, we just have different tastes and will probably never agree.

Yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

But Death Metal is shít. It's for a select group of morons and that's why it isn't mainstream and never could be.

Really? People are morons just because they like a different genre of music?

I was making the point that punk was genuinely out there and alternative to mainstream music and culture. Indie/Alternative (don't like or understand the boundaries of either of those terms) is another word for unsigned music as far as I can tell.

Pretty much every band wants to be mainstream.. There isn't really a movement of alternative music. Just undiscovered bands.

Maybe I'm wrong, but just don't get it. You made some good points anyway. Untimately, we just have different tastes and will probably never agree.
    Now you're just making sweeping generalisations. I'm not the biggest death metal fan but there are some bands that I think are amazing musicians and I genuinly enjoy. If it's not your bag then that's okay, but it deserves a lot more than being music for "morons".

Indie is a loose term used for non-major label artists, signed to smaller independent labels or even unsigned. Again I'm not quite sure where you are going as I can think of quite a lot of indie bands who have released music over the past 30 years who were more out-there than The Sex Pistols.

How do you know that every band wants to be mainstream? Have you asked them all? There's no real answer to that but I'd imagine quite a lot of bands would rather settle for underground success and a cult following

mutley18 wrote: »
    Yawn.

Oh no, I bored another internet nerd.

Will leave it up to you to say something interesting..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Give it a rest mick please ya grump.

Now you're just making sweeping generalisations. I'm not the biggest death metal fan but there are some bands that I think are amazing musicians and I genuinly enjoy. If it's not your bag then that's okay, but it deserves a lot more than being music for "morons".

Indie is a loose term used for non-major label artists, signed to smaller independent labels or even unsigned. Again I'm not quite sure where you are going as I can think of quite a lot of indie bands who have released music over the past 30 years who were more out-there than The Sex Pistols.

How do you know that every band wants to be mainstream? Have you asked them all? There's no real answer to that but I'd imagine quite a lot of bands would rather settle for underground success and a cult following

I was talking about the punk movement, rather than the status of the bands. Punks were leftfield of mainstream culture.

Disagree with everything you said. No point in debating this further so I'll bow out here.

Oh no, I bored another internet nerd.

Will leave it up to you to say something interesting..

Goodnight Mick. Long live The Strypes. X

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

I actually thought The Strypes did fairly well. Even though they wouldn't be my first choice to listen to, I actually liked some of their songs. Considering their age they have nowhere to go but up.
    I wish them good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Arctic Monkeys were tight last night, I'm not really a fan though tbh, weird front-man or is it just me?

Yeah was that it - felt distant or not very involving, great players though but tricky balance I guess

and didn't they play the same slot last time too. same vibe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

So the Stones blocked about an hour and a half from being screened live at Glasto last night.

I was thinking an hour was a bit crap until I read about it this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Yeah was that it - felt distant or not very involving, great players though but tricky balance I guess

and didn't they play the same slot last time too. same vibe

He looked a bit up his own ar*e I felt, the hair & cabaret voice just looked completely out of place to the rest of the lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

So the Stones blocked about an hour and a half from being screened live at Glasto last night.

I was thinking an hour was a bit crap until I read about it this morning.

Shame they restricted it. I thought it was a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭corm500

lertsnim wrote: »
    Shame they restricted it. I thought it was a great show.

Agreed. I wonder if we will ever see the full show. I would be surprised if the Beeb didnt film the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Might get a DVD release. I know Muse did when they headlined during their Absolution tour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i thought the stones were terrible last night , thought they were boring and bland, to much hype was surrounding this gig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

A V A wrote: »
    i thought the stones were terrible last night , thought they were boring and bland, to much hype was surrounding this gig

I thought the crowd were bad to be honest...or is that just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Agree, dont get me wrong could enjoy some of it from me armchair but find it hard to believe people forkin out hundreds to see them at their own gigs in this state.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I went to see The Rolling Stones the last time they were here, in Slane in 2007 and they were amazing. I didn't watch last night's gig, but I can only say that in my experience, it's phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I went to see The Rolling Stones the last time they were here, in Slane in 2007 and they were amazing. I didn't watch last night's gig, but I can only say that in my experience, it's phenomenal.

I was at that gig too twas good alright certainly miles ahead of last nights show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Well last night's gig isn't going to offend or upset me because I didn't pay for a ticket to it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

It's The Stones cause they be hyped. It's the greatest rock n roll band in the world. I do think it wasn't clearly their best show cause they ain't playing for a Stones only crowd. Plus a lot of people were standing around there for hours, jumping up and down would be the last thing on their mind. It wasn't a disaster but it did the job.

Advertisement