Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2013

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Something seems slightly awkward about The xx in a large outdoor setting, their sound is more suited to a small venue. They're not doing too bad so far though.

i think the way jamie xx changed up their live show is whats done it for them, with the new stage production and his own remix touch of their own songs aswell , plus him adding far nearer in to the set aswell and the way he was mixing in other songs from other dance artists into their songs

their olympia show in december was amazing, for me they've come along way since their tripod show !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

A V A wrote: »
    sorry lads, to keep going on about the stones but im just watching jumping jack flash on bbc2 and the watts is like someone out of an old folks home , surely that cant be him drumming ?:eek::eek:

Watts probably was dead there last night..... Weekend at Bernies Style Drumming:D

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Editors are a dark rocking group with a lead singer that is very different from the rest.

Loved that.

thought it was funny how there was no coverage of their new stuff and just their old stuff haha because its sh*t

editors are a really good band,not entirely dark but got a tad dark on 'in this light and this evening '

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i think the way jamie xx changed up their live show is whats done it for them, with the new stage production and his own remix touch of their own songs aswell , plus him adding far nearer in to the set aswell and the way he was mixing in other songs from other dance artists into their songs

their olympia show in december was amazing, for me they've come along way since their tripod show !!!
    really liked that Streets/Artful Dodger part.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

sorry lads, to keep going on about the stones but im just watching jumping jack flash on bbc2 and the watts is like someone out of an old folks home , surely that cant be him drumming ?:eek::eek:

Keith Richards isnt far off imo opinion , If it was'nt for Jagger and Wood this would be horrendous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He was the first thing that struck me when watching them Saturday night, I just couldn't stop looking at him as he looked so ridiculous, they all looked a bit ridiculous I thought, couldn't really watch them.

Listening now to Deap Vally who I caught a bit of yesterday, pretty cool duo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

ThisRegard wrote: »

Listening now to Deap Vally who I caught a bit of yesterday, pretty cool duo.

Was there for Deap Vally, thought they had no substance in the songs, just similar type of same songs. The Bots earlier were awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Glasto coverage was annoying on BBC. Discussing band sets like they were football matches or something. Boll*x!! Save the British taxpayer some money, and just show the bloody bands playing and leave it at that. It's a gig not a football match, it doesn't need analysing on tv....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

What show were you watching?. That song was the song they started Glastonbury with but we only got to see the gig from Miss You onwards. The setlist is below.

Jumpin' Jack Flash
    It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
    Paint It Black
    Gimme Shelter
    Factory Girl
    ("Glastonbury Girl" interpolation)
    Wild Horses
    Doom and Gloom
    Can't You Hear Me Knocking
    (with Mick Taylor)
    Honky Tonk Women
    (followed by band introductions)
    You Got the Silver
    (Keith Richards on lead vocals)
    Happy
    Miss You
    Midnight Rambler
    (with Mick Taylor)
    2000 Light Years from Home
    (first since 25 Aug 1990)
    Sympathy for the Devil
    Start Me Up
    Tumbling Dice
    Brown Sugar
    Encore:
    You Can't Always Get What You Want
    (with The Voice Chamber Choir … more)
    (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
    (with Mick Taylor)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Just on the ferry on the way home. What a great week - really can't put into words what it was like but there is no other festival like it. Even EP is like child's play compared to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

LeftBlank wrote: »
    Just on the ferry on the way home. What a great week - really can't put into words what it was like but there is no other festival like it. Even EP is like child's play compared to it.

ah now, don't crap on the hopes and excitement of those who aren't so lucky to be able to make it to Glastonbury, to me all I have is EP :)

skimpydoo wrote: »
    What show were you watching?. That song was the song they started Glastonbury with but we only got to see the gig from Miss You onwards. The setlist is below.

Jumpin' Jack Flash
    It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
    Paint It Black
    Gimme Shelter
    Factory Girl
    ("Glastonbury Girl" interpolation)
    Wild Horses
    Doom and Gloom
    Can't You Hear Me Knocking
    (with Mick Taylor)
    Honky Tonk Women
    (followed by band introductions)
    You Got the Silver
    Happy
    Miss You
    Midnight Rambler
    (with Mick Taylor)
    2000 Light Years from Home
    (first since 25 Aug 1990)
    Sympathy for the Devil
    Start Me Up
    Tumbling Dice
    Brown Sugar
    Encore:
    You Can't Always Get What You Want
    (with The Voice Chamber Choir … more)
    (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
    (with Mick Taylor)

they showed jumping jack flash on bbc

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

Is Glastonbury def worth going to? What are the camping facilities like? I'm thinking about going next year or R + L's and when the tickets are on sale whats the best way to get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭BangBeater

I'm just watching it now on YouTube and thought the same thing... The drummer looks like a little... um dead lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'm just home now.

There was 1000's more Irish people there this year.

The XX were the highlight for me and Chase and Status coming second.

From NME.com

Kasabian and Foo Fighters are early favourites to headline Glastonbury 2014, with Oasis an outside bet according to bookmakers.

A spokesperson for bookmakers William Hill announced that both Kasabian, who last played the festival in 2009, and Foo Fighters, last seen at Glastonbury in 1998, have odds of 6/1 to top the bill in 2014. Both acts are believed to be releasing new albums next year and bookmakers are confident of seeing them appear on The Pyramid Stage. Other bands and artists tipped to follow this year's headliners include Noel Gallagher, The Stone Roses, Prince, Daft Punk and David Bowie.

With odds of 25/1, Oasis are also in the running. Liam Gallagher recently said that he'd be interested in reforming the band in 2014 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of their debut album, 'Definitely Maybe'.

"Kasabian and the Foo Fighters are festival royalty and with some new material potentially in the offing, they are always going to be in the forefront of the Glasto thinking next year," said William Hill spokesman Joe Crilly . "Although with Sabbath (25/1) reforming and scaling the charts with their new release and a potential Oasis (25/1) anniversary in the offing, there is a little bit of outside value to be found in the market."

At this weekend's festival, bands and artists including Johnny Marr, Haim and Foals spoke to NME about who they want to see headline Glastonbury in 2014. Click here to see who they selected.

William Hill's Glastonbury headliners 2014 odds are as follows:

Kasabian (6/1)
    Foo Fighters (6/1)
    Noel Gallagher and High Flying Birds (8/1)
    The Stone Roses (10/1)
    Kings of Leon (12/1)
    Bob Dylan (16/1)
    Prince (16/1)
    Daft Punk (20/1)
    Bloc Party (20/1)
    Oasis (25/1)
    Led Zeppelin (25/1)
    Pink Floyd (25/1)
    David Bowie (25/1)
    Black Sabbath (25/1)
    Kanye West (25/1)
    Jay-Z (25/1)
    Fleetwood Mac (33/1)
    Happy Mondays (33/1)
    Justin Timberlake (33/1)
    Lionel Richie (33/1)
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (33/1)
    New Order (33/1)
    Jake Bugg (40/1)
    Florence + The Machine (50/1)
    Bruce Springsteen (50/1)
    Elvis Costello (66/1)
    Justin Bieber (100/1)

i wouldnt mind foo fighters new order, and kanye west :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

wonder what the odds are for Arcade Fire. they have a new album out later this year, so they're surely contenders to headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

LeftBlank wrote: »

I'm a regular ep goer....Glastonbury kinda scares me with the whole scale of it, saw the pic doing the rounds of Arcadia n not sure I'd cope with the masses! Is it just unreal and am I being silly!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just home. I'm a big stones fan and they are clearly past their best. That said I really enjoyed their set and it was fine for the most part. Couldn't really see Charlie Watts (sounded fine to me) so can't comment on that but yes Keith Richards is finally done I'd have to say. Some pretty poor guitar playing at times but it didn't really ruin the experience for me. Crowd was a bit flat and from where I was standing it really wasn't loud enough though. Didn't hear anyone else at the festival slating the performance like people on here have.

Also a big smashing pumpkins fan and thought they were excellent. Surprisingly so. It may just be Billy Corgan (Belly Corgan might be a more apt name these days) and some randomers but he's replaced the original line up with some serious musicians. He may have even managed to find a better drummer than Jimmy Chamberlain, which I didn't think was possible.

Other highlight was Chic. Just great fun. Tried to see Bruce Forsyth for the craic but the tent was wedged so just gave up. Worst acts I saw were Stealing Sheep and Tim Burgess. Both just awful. Aside from that wandering around and just soaking it up in the evenings was brilliant. My feet are killing me though after all that walking and standing. Also completely wrecked, not much sleep was had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Rfrip wrote: »
    I'm a regular ep goer....Glastonbury kinda scares me with the whole scale of it, saw the pic doing the rounds of Arcadia n not sure I'd cope with the masses! Is it just unreal and am I being silly!

Ha, I'm the very same. I'll stick to EP and the magic of the Body&Soul thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I'm just home now.

There was 1000's more Irish people there this year.

The XX were the highlight for me and Chase and Status coming second.

How hard is it to get tickets? I know they have some sort of lottery system in place towards the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

What's the appeal of the xx? Just watching them now and don't want to be cynical, but they do seem to be just arty for the sake of it. Very hipster like! ? You have to wait a long time for even a melody.

Just don't get them at all, how they headlined the second stage is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

mollser wrote: »
    What's the appeal of the xx? Just watching them now and don't want to be cynical, but they do seem to be just arty for the sake of it. Very hipster like! ? You have to wait a long time for even a melody.

Not just The xx, but I find myself wondering what's the appeal with most of these popular Indie/Alternative bands these days. The ones breaking through now seem to be getting worse. All lacking any creativity and originality. Watching some Glastonbury over the weekend and seeing Palma Violets (I'm fairly sure they actually think they're The Libertines) and our very own The Strypes, it was all cringe-worthy stuff. Nothing but hollow fads. Or maybe I'm just a cynical cranky boots since I hit 30. The icing on the cake for me though - Alex Turner really thinks he's a Yorkshire version of Elvis. Nice hair Alex... muppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

What are the chances that the foo fighters will headline next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

nocoverart wrote: »
    Not just The xx, but I find myself wondering what's the appeal with most of these popular Indie/Alternative bands these days. The ones breaking through now seem to be getting worse. All lacking any creativity and originality. Watching some Glastonbury over the weekend and seeing Palma Violets (I'm fairly sure they actually think they're The Libertines) and our very own The Strypes, it was all cringe-worthy stuff. Nothing but hollow fads. Or maybe I'm just a cynical cranky boots since I hit 30. The icing on the cake for me though - Alex Turner really thinks he's a Yorkshire version of Elvis. Nice hair Alex... muppet!

Maybe you are an old fart. We all end up like that. Turner a genius but he was trying to hard to be the 50's style frontman but they were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

mollser wrote: »

How BBC switched off the Smashing Pumpkins to show that elevator music is beyond me!

eldest200 wrote: »
    What are the chances that the foo fighters will headline next year?

Could def be a possibility and is pretty much the only festival they have yet to headline .Through in Kasabian and Daft Punk and im there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Pumpkins were the highlight of the weekend and it wasnt even close. One of the best performances ive seen, and the atmosphere was great (being in the front few rows helped)

Other highlights:
    Kenny Rogers -didnt expect much but he was a great pick me up on Sunday afternoon. Some of his comments in between songs were classic, "stop swaying, its like watching thousands of Ray Charles' "
    Jagwar Ma - great set, look like they could be much higher up the bill next time they play.
    Two door cinema club - really got the crowd going.

Last, but not least, the toilets in Shangri La's heaven were an amazing treat after a few days of portaloos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Bloc Party (20/1)

Are Bloc Party not going on hiatus for the forseeable? :confused:

Advertisement