Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2013

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

still trying to adjust back to reality... Been a few times now, it gets better each year, even tho this year had a woeful line up. Mixhell and the Beat were my highlights.

Fingers crossed No Doubt will get put on the bill next year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

General theme of people who watched on telly seems to be: Monkeys great, Stones looked like the living dead, Mumford what are they headlining for.
    From being there: Monkeys the crowd got bored and upped and left and the screens seemed to be broken so couldn't see stuff anyway, Stones mahosive crowd all the way back and all having a great time (different coverage from on the BBC streams so couldn't tell how lifeless they were on stage, music was great and everyone knew them), Mumford great tunes for cheering up a tired crowd but agree they were not really due a headline slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Registration open for next year now

/starts queuing

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Not sure if ill even be going to Glasto but i have decided to register just incase ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

mollser wrote: »
    What's the appeal of the xx? Just watching them now and don't want to be cynical, but they do seem to beu just arty for the sake of it. Very hipster like! ? You have to wait a long time for even a melody.

Just don't get them at all, how they headlined the second stage is beyond me!
    I wouldn't be the biggest fan of The xx but they are anything but arty just for the sake of it. Even when their debut dropped in 2009 it had the feeling of something that was vaguely familiar yet sounded new at the same time. Besides there's nothing wrong with being 'arty' and creative, that's where new ideas come from. Better than being a band like Oasis or Coldplay and having no original ideas of your own. But believe me I'll know when a band is being arty just for the sake of it.

I was actually glad to see a band like them so far up on the bill (although it was surprising) rather than some nostalgia act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

First time in years I never watched one bit on tv. Their just wasn't anyone on the bill that would make turn it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Did any of ye who were at Glastonbury get to see Cat Power and/or Portishead? they were the two sets that stood out for me from watching online. Really would love Portishead at EP.

Registration complete :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

do you have to pay for registration? whats the sory with it , is it just to get yourself into the system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Head almost back to normal after Glastonbury. An incredible festival-just the sheer size of it is hard to get your head around. I arrived late enough on the Thursday and started partying hard. Perhaps a bit too hard as I get lost for around 2-3 hours looking for a route to my tent (one of the other lads had set it up earlier that day!). How I managed to get back to my tent i'll never know.

The music and food was great and all the people we got chatting to were in such good spirits. No hassle whatsoever during the festival. I got to see most of the bands i'd planned on seeing but I completely underestimated the size of the festival and had to strike some bands off the list. It could take over half an hour to get from one gig to another.

Definitely going again next year.

• Advertisement

A V A wrote: »
    do you have to pay for registration? whats the sory with it , is it just to get yourself into the system

Nope ya dont have to pay for registration , Yea its just to get you in the system

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Vetinarugbian

I was at it too - heads still in bits but whatever about watching it on telly it was great, the weather was great, some of the bands were better than others. Not a huge Mumfords fan but there set was brilliant so yes, if they can pull it off then of course they deserved it.
    On a different note, Im trying to get the I am Kloot set. I have tried proxys off the BBC website and the whole thing isnt on youtube. Does anybody know how you can watch it? Huge huge fan and it was my favourite set of teh weekend. http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ej58q9/acts/ahqhzc#p01c4464 thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

ah now, don't crap on the hopes and excitement of those who aren't so lucky to be able to make it to Glastonbury, to me all I have is EP :)

This will be my 10th EP. This was my first Glasto.

I love Stradbally with a burning pashion, but the sheer scale of Glasto bewitched me.

As an example I was able to leave the front of the Arctics to pee, catch some Chic on the way back to my tent, canned up for the night saw most of Portishead in the space of an hour.

No watery heineken/carlsberg pints for me. Delicious 7% ciders abound.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

nocoverart wrote: »
    Did any of ye who were at Glastonbury get to see Cat Power and/or Portishead? they were the two sets that stood out for me from watching online. Really would love Portishead at EP.

Got caught up at The XX so didnt make it to the Park for Cat Power. Caught some Portishead, crowd was a bit hit & miss, but found a good group of people who were really appreciated it and spent a good 40 minutes loving the sound of Portishead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Portishead set is on youtube. Watched it the other day. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

my name is now in the lottory!! woohooo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I'll try and do a longer trip report at some stage soon but it was an amazing week. Glastonbury is a wonderful place to be regardless but in that kind of weather it made it one of the most magical places on earth for the weekend.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

did anyone meet florence welch? she seemed to meet everyone on twitter :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

a few photographic memories (bands & out about - and few older ones)

http://pix.ie/thebaz/album/414044

My highlight was getting a hug from Seasick Steve to the sound of the Rolling Stones

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Saw someone we thought looked like her, wasn't sure and she scooted when we went back for another look.

robinph wrote: »

thats boll*x!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

thebaz wrote: »
    a few photographic memories (bands & out about - and few older ones)

http://pix.ie/thebaz/album/414044

My highlight was getting a hug from Seasick Steve to the sound of the Rolling Stones

Ha someone spent a good chunk of time at the stone circle if the photos are anything to go by!

I took this picture at the vaccines on Friday. I managed to get a fair few random people into the picture. Good craic.

Did anyone catch the Crystal Castles gig? I heard it was cut short again like Electric Picnic last year.

93vw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

She was a few rows back from us at the Stones, she was up on someones shoulders so got spotted fairly quick. Nice to see a musician who watches the acts with the common folk instead of from the vip section. (We were way out to the side of the pyramid)

^^ i find it a bit strange that she was among the common public?especially on someones shoulders :rolleyes: maybe looking for attenion, cuase she could easily be spotted and put on the big screen and the attention taken from the act that was on stage :rolleyes: bit weird n strange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

A V A wrote: »
    ^^ i find it a bit strange that she was among the common public?especially on someones shoulders :rolleyes: maybe looking for attenion, cuase she could easily be spotted and put on the big screen and the attention taken from the act that was on stage :rolleyes: bit weird n strange

From talking to other people there she seemed to be watching a lot of the bands from the crowd, not much chance of getting caught by cameras from where we were, not sure we were even still in the same post code as the stage.

A lot of people you would expect to stay backstage were just wandering in the crowd. Id imagine the Stones had a tight enough reign on who got to watch side stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Just heard "moves like jagger" by Maroon five on the radio. Not sure what way to take that song since watching glasto

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Keith Richards isnt far off imo opinion , If it was'nt for Jagger and Wood this would be horrendous

Darryl Jones on bass has more talent that the lot put together, animal of a player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

Suffering a serious case of post-glasto blues here. After two years I'd forgotten how bad it can get :(

Kind of wish the tickets for next year were on sale now! October seems like an awfully long wait to find out whether or not I can go next year..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 janejjjjjjj

I've just got back after an extended stay in the UK and read all the comments and I have a few replies and comments.

@mick Murdock I couldn't get the hype about the Strypes either, I had had a listen on youtube and thought yes good enough especially for their age but nothing out of the ordinary. Then I watched them at Glastonbury and I get it now, they are amazing live for any age, honestly if you haven't seen them live go and do so if you get the chance. It might change your mind.

@solarflash don't knock what you don't know. anyone who is bored at Glastonbury should win a prize for being the first ever I reckon. Again don't knock what you don't know, Glastonbury is so much more than the line up, I saw 7 main bands plus a few random ones as I wandered about and still didn't have enough time to go/ see everything else that's there.

@stereomaniac I was at the Stones Slane gig and saw them again here and both gigs were equal imo, just as good 6 years later.
    @wrongway1985 maybe the difference was you saw one live and only watched the other on TV?

@Dizrealigears I took my 9 year old to Slane to see The Stones and he became an instant fan, he was equally delighted to see them again at Glastonbury as a 15 year old and had no issue with their age.

@leftbank couldn't agree more it not only leaves EP or any other Irish festival standing it actually surpasses any other festival imo. Those who are worried about it, yes it's miles bigger than EP (which I went to once and frankly found a bit small and boring) but it's the friendliest, safest festival you will ever go to, my children have been going around on their own since before they were teenagers and first attended when they were 5 and 6 years of age. If you like the Body and Soul Festival/ area at EP imagine umpteen fields like them as well as everything else. if Arcadia and the other late night areas frighten you (they shouldn't though) go elsewhere at night. There is no "arena" like at most festivals and no herding in and out of the camping area, it's all open, once you're in you're in and you can wander anywhere you like at night.

Rolling Stones probably the performance of the festival and the first time ever in my 15 odd attendances that I would give that accolade to any of the main stage bands, it's usually a less well known band and/or one on a smaller stage that gets that from me. Whatever it looked like on the TV I have never seen such a crowd reaction and atmosphere, especially from the back where people usually chat and look around, the entire field was into it and dancing.

Dinosaur Jnr really rocked the Park stage

Smashing Pumpkins, delighted I finally got to see them and they were really on it

I couldn't believe mumford headlined either, awful tripe which I steered well clear of

Primal Scream, played a storming set including loaded, country girl, swastika eyes and many more. They are one of my favourite bands ever so I thought they were great but Bobby Gillespie (understandably imo) got annoyed with the crowd who wouldn't react just stood there like dummies, talking and milling about. Actually many of us did react and there were rows of people dancing and really getting in to it but he couldn't see us behind the many many rows of Stones fans who had filled the first third of the field. We got there a bit before Primal Scream started but couldn't get anywhere near the front as some Stones fans had been standing there for 8 hours!! Missing a whole day of the festival (madness). But each to his own but if you are going to do that at least show the support bands the courtesy of listening ffs. You might actually enjoy it.

Deap valley I agree a bit samey but incredible powerful sound and well worth checking out.

Chic were brilliant, nuff said

Re: registration there seems to be a bit of confusion here, it's not a lottery and registering doesn't guarantee you anything, you are merely registering to try for a ticket when they first go onsale sometime in early Oct. Go to www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk for details of registering.

Advertisement