Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far a walk from train station to Carlow IT?

Options
  • 05-09-2012 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My bosses daughter is starting Carlow IT shorthly so to get me some kudos and and get a little brown nosing done I told him I'd briefly check out the transport options . She will be commuting from the newbridge to the college every day of term.

To walk from the train station in Carlow to the IT , I figure maybe a good 15-20 minutes should do it. What is everyones opinion on this? Am I way off? Has anyone advice on whether this is reasonable / safe / handy etc?

If anyone has any other suggestions to commute to newbridge they would add to my brown nosing also.

As I typed it there "brown nosing", it's such a horrible term

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

About 30 mins max I'd guess she might be better off bringing a bike with her on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Google maps says 25 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Whether 25-30 min, its still a long walk twice a day everyday. Wont be too nice once the weather gets worse. Would she not consider renting perhaps ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Both Bus Eireann and Kavanagh's stop outside the IT but there is no direct service from Newbridge, She would have to go to Naas or Kilcullen first then on to Carlow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ah here, it's not that far a walk at all

the train station is about 5 minutes from shamrock square/plaza, from there you just wander down barrack street to aldi.. up that little side street and then you're practically already on green road and the back entrance to the college. it's not even 2km

I am possibly the laziest son of a bitch on the planet who gets shin splints when I put shoes on in the morning and I'd happily walk that distance

although when the weather is bad it will be pretty damned awful.

--edit

although considering the price of trains there and back 5 days a week it might work out cheaper just to get a place in town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

ah here, it's not that far a walk at all

the train station is about 5 minutes from shamrock square/plaza, from there you just wander down barrack street to aldi.. up that little side street and then you're practically already on green road and the back entrance to the college. it's not even 2km

I am possibly the laziest son of a bitch on the planet who gets shin splints when I put shoes on in the morning and I'd happily walk that distance

although when the weather is bad it will be pretty damned awful.

it would still take almost half an hour though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

People i know get the town link from Newbridge to Kilcullen run by Kavanaghs and then the bus from there to Carlow.
    http://jjkavanagh.ie/en/timetables/print-pdf
    Printable timetable available here under local route's. Then further down the same page you see Carlow IT routes which has a Dublin-Waterford service that passes through Kilcullen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Real Life wrote: »
    it would still take almost half an hour though

yeah, probably about that.

if I was in carlow atm I'd actually walk it myself to see :p

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

You were right I was out for a run tonight and walked it for my warm down. It was 21 minutes at a normal pace. I think the bike is a good suggestion but also agree that when bad weather and darkness in the evening it might not be clever.
    The kilcullen bus options look good, thanks for the good replies. I'll cut you all in on my massive salary increase due to my blatent arse kissing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭jimbo79

at a good pace it should take no more than 15 to 20 mins

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Or share a lift down with somebody coming from Newbridge. There must be tonnes of students driving down in the morning and much cheaper than then train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

If you hav a bicycle ul probably do it in 5 or 6 minutes

Advertisement