Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to set up broadband for 12 people

• 05-09-2012 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I am among 20 people renting a room in a mansion, I am trying to get broadband in and so far its been difficult, we are living too far out for upc,mobile broadband coverage is very poor and wimax wont install in a premises like this so my only option is eircom broadband, because there are so many people looking to come in on it I am going to go for this

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/fibre/products/hero/150Mb/

what kind of router do I need for 12 laptops or can someone tell me specifically what I need to do to get this sorted

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

You get a free Wireless Modem / Router with that package. That should be all you need. However, if the mansion is ... well, big, with loads of solid concrete walls, you may find that the wifi signal won't penetrate throughout the house

Suggest you locate the Wifi modem in a central location. Middle of the house both horizontally and vertically. So if you have three floors, put it on floor 2.

You may also want to invest in something like this if there are some dead signals.

With fiber, eircom are probably presenting as CAT5[6] [research this first] so maybe ditch the free wireless modem and buy something like two of these. With two of these, the theory states, you can link them both together to stretch your WIFI signal over more of an area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Not sure what type of router eircom will provide with their fibre connection, but I would think that it might have a wireless function on it. You could just enable that and see how you go.

Each person with a wireless device, laptop, pad, phone could then connect to it.

But I suspect depending on the size of the house wireless range might be an issue, you might need to go down the route of wireless repeaters and anyones apartment that can't reach the main wireless router would have to have repeater of some sort to connect back to the main router.
    If it was possible to run from cat 5/6 connections you could give everyone their own dedicated connection to the main router and they could run their own router/firewall themsevles.

Apart from all the tech issues, not sure about sharing broadband with other people, who's to say who downloaded what. Without strict controls/proxy server logging everything, it will be very hard to say that you weren't the one doing the illegal download!

I would definitely recommend getting a package with unlimited download, even 500gb's could go quite easily if you have 2-3 heavy downloader's. I've give up the higher speed to go with an unlimited usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I assume you've already checked that you can get Eircom fibre its not widely available: http://www.eircom.net/broadband/fibre/map/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Looks like Fibre power bb is unavailable in waterford and the line failed for normal broadband

Its fair frustrating that in this day and age and the fact im only living 3miles away from waterford city that its impossible to get broadband

Get 20 Mobile Internet SIMs :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

RangeR wrote: »
    Get 20 Mobile Internet SIMs :eek:

the coverage for mobile is crap here

Don't consider Satellite. It will drive you insane.
    Can you get fixed wireless, not just WiMax?

The possible reason they won't install WiMax is that the building maybe listed or too high. An alternative is to get them to put the receiver on a high pole / post / tree [?], or something [work with them to find a solution].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Honestly with 20 people you are going to need a higher end business broadband package.

Even if you can get Eircom fiber the 500GB limit will be blazed through long before the end of the month. Also the vast majority of "Unlimited" residential packages aren't even close to unlimited and wouldn't be long getting rid of you with 20 users.

Edit- Is it 20 users or 12? It's not very clear from OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Smart broadband is good, if its available: http://smarttelecom.ie

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have you tried the wireless offerings from Imagine and digiweb?

If you can afford it it maybe worth approaching companies and see what they can offer to suit your budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Looks like Fibre power bb is unavailable in waterford and the line failed for normal broadband

Its fair frustrating that in this day and age and the fact im only living 3miles away from waterford city that its impossible to get broadband

Welcome to Irish broadband...

eircom fibre is only available in Sandyford and Wexford...

Advertisement