Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long for a standing order PIN?

Options
  • 05-09-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

I have set up a standing order last Sunday using 365 online, after completing it I was informed I would have to wait for a PIN to be sent out via post. I was hoping the PIN would be in the post before today as today is when I want the standing order to come out of my account.

However I have not received the PIN in the post in time. Can I ask typically how long should it take for a PIN to arrive in the post? Normally post within Ireland gets delivered to me within 2 days but it has been 3 now.

Also now that I've missed the day for the standing order what are my options for paying the missed payment? I tried to do a transfer only to be again informed I need to wait for a PIN in the post.

Why is sending out a PIN in the post the only security measure BOI can use? Surely if Ulster bank can do it without the use of post so can BOI?

Can I call into a branch and set up the transfer from there to occur immediately or will that require a PIN to be sent out also?

EDIT: Can I ring 365Banking today and get the Standing order approved to be paid today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi draffodx,

Thanks for getting in touch.

A security code to activate a standing order takes 3 - 5 working days to be received.
    draffodx wrote: »
    Also now that I've missed the day for the standing order what are my options for paying the missed payment?

This will depend on where the payee's account is held. If it is with Bank of Ireland, you can call into your local branch and request an immediate transfer. You will need to bring photo ID with you. If the account is with another bank, you could lodge cash directly into the account by calling into their bank.
    draffodx wrote: »
    Why is sending out a PIN in the post the only security measure BOI can use?

It is possible to register your mobile to receive security codes. However, this facility is only available for registering payees (domestic, international or bills). The security code to activate a standing order can only be sent by post.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks for the prompt response Tara, banking is not one of my strongest areas of knowledge, never even thought of lodging the cash direct with her bank, dope! Thanks a million!

Advertisement