Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom phoning from private number.

Options
  • 05-09-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I've had a couple of calls lately claiming to be from eircom offering me a discount on my phone bill. These callers appear official & well informed but callers sound foreign and the phone number comes up as private. Assuming these calls are actually from eircom, a communications company, isn't it time they figured out how to use caller id?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

2 stroke wrote: »
    I've had a couple of calls lately claiming to be from eircom offering me a discount on my phone bill. These callers appear official & well informed but callers sound foreign and the phone number comes up as private. Assuming these calls are actually from eircom, a communications company, isn't it time they figured out how to use caller id?

Hi 2 stroke,

It's very probable that these calls came from eircom. Glad to hear the callers are well informed ;)
    The reason for the private number is that the agents call from a massive switchboard. If the number was provided it could result in people calling back to the incorrect section so all calls are private and agents give out relevant contact numbers as required. I understand your point but it would cause more confusion the other way.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Hi 2 stroke,

It's very probable that these calls came from eircom. Glad to hear the callers are well informed ;)
    The reason for the private number is that the agents call from a massive switchboard. If the number was provided it could result in people calling back to the incorrect section so all calls are private and agents give out relevant contact numbers as required. I understand your point but it would cause more confusion the other way.

Regards

James

Off topic but why can't there be a generic Caller ID of Eircom or Alarm company name for an alarm centre , or I really underestimating the complexities of doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Off topic but why can't there be a generic Caller ID of Eircom or Alarm company name for an alarm centre , or I really underestimating the complexities of doing that.

Not sure if you're underestimating the complexities but you're definitely overestimating my knowledge :o
    I would imagine it's possible but I think the fact that teams move around so much alongside the fact that there's so many different departments, it would probably be more hassle than it's worth. In saying that, not all numbers are blocked but most of the outbound sales team are on the same switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

James, Thanks for your reply but I'm not satisfied.
    Wow! eircom have a massive switchboard! I'd have never thought of that.
    Over on 1 of the other talkto forums, I've read of one of the banks trying to solve a similar problem. Surely, if a bank can try, a phone company can.
    These agents are asking me to sign upto a new contract over the phone without even giving me basic contact details. On a regular basis we have to deal with scammers over the phone and by email, some of which are very convincing. Phoning from private numbers is one of the trademarks of a scam artist.

By well informed, I mean they obviously had full details of our account in front of them. We have to date recieved 2 such calls from eircom, both times we have asked for details in writing, to which they replied that they would email details. No such emails have been recieved.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If a company dialing you is unwilling to declare the number they are dialling from -draw your own conclusions!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'm sorry but the big giant switchboard is a cop out .
    Has Vodafone not got one of these?
    What about UPC
    What about many other big company's?
    It is not acceptable for a communications company to be calling from a withheld number. It's even less acceptable for them to make claims that they can't turn on a simple caller ID feature.
    In response to who the fug, yes a generic number can be programmed to display, our alarm monitoring station uses this feature, as does Vodafone ,I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Of course it's a cop out. Very likely that "switchboard" has enough technology to record each time an employee takes a pissbreak.

Advertisement