Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 year old babysitter?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    cynder wrote: »
    There is no legal minimum age in which a child can babysit or mind siblings

Maybe it was just something social services told the parents to make them buck up so, because they were talking about child endangerment law etc. I assume it must have been to try and scare them.

They may have been other reasons they were called, I babysat at 15 from 7 to the early hours if the morning, no issues, perhaps kids werent going to school or were being neglected, unclean, not fed and do on.

There is mo legal minimum age because it depends on the child's maturity some mature quicker than others. Some dont mature till they are well into their adult years.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

I minded my sister at 12 so because of this when my mother in law suggested we let our niece 13 babysit i said ok we'll give it a go. Granny only lives in housing estate next 2us 2 mins away an she was goin to be at home. also the kids were asleep. Myself and my husband went out 4 2 hours and i just couldn't relax to be honest. Everything was fine when we got home but I didn't do it again. I'll wait til she's a bit older. She's a pet and my kids love her and she's great for entertaining them but I think when I was younger we were less Mollycoddled and had more life skills and were just a bit more street wise. I think she wouldn't have faired well in an emergency. Thankfully Granny was on standby but I still wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I wouldn't go out and leave my 12 yr old without a babysitter....not yet!
    Ask him to babysit.....I don't think so! I know a 12 yr old girl is probably more mature but still think its too much responsibility.

Advertisement