Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinemania

Options
  • 05-09-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Right... I've realised recently that since moving to London I'm going to the cinema far less than I'd like to. I've been occasionally posting stuff in the events and gig buddies section, but there hasn't been much interest and things tends to get lost in there.

So, with crappy summer blockbuster season drawing to a close and Oscar season approaching, I'd like to get a semi-regular London Boards film outing going. What I'd propose to do is post a list of new releases every week, and people indicate if they'd be interested in seeing any of them.

We wouldn't have to go to them straight away, but it would be good to know if there's 3-4 people interested in catching something before its run is over. I'd aim to go for slightly cheaper mid-week, non-Leicester Square, non-3D showings if it all possible.

To kick things off, here's TimeOut's list of what's out this week. I've highlighted what I'd be keen to see in red...

Friday September 7

A Night In The Woods
    A couple and their male friend go camping in a notoriously haunted wood in Dartmoor. Tensions build, jealousies arise and things start to go badly wrong – not helped by the presence of something very spooky.

Anna Karenina
    The story concerns a young married aristocratic woman, Anna, who conducts an affair with the wealthy Count Vronsky but cannot save herself from spiralling into depression and paranoia.

Dredd
    Judge Dredd is concentrating on the task of ridding the city of the scourge of a drug called ‘Slo-Mo’, which causes people to experience reality at a much slower pace than usual, and training a rookie when they are forced to confront a new drug lord.

Lawless
    Virginia, 1931: a time of good men, bad cops, pretty girls and a world turned as rotten as dodgy moonshine by poverty and prohibition.

Love
    This low-budget sci-fi film is set in 2039 and tells of a lone astronaut who is sent on an investigative mission to a space station and becomes stranded when events turn nasty back on earth.

Raaz 3: The Third Dimension
    Here’s the third instalment of the hugely popular Bollywood horror movie franchise.

Shut Up and Play the Hits
    Dylan Southern and Will Lovelace’s music doc is essentially a day before/morning-after resumé of LCD Soundsystem’s farewell concert at Madison Square Gardens in April 2011.

St George's Day
    Hardman actor Frank Harper steps behind the camera for the first time for this story of two notorious London gangster cousins, Micky Mannock and Ray Collishaw, whose reign at the top is under threat when they lose a shipment of the Russian mafia’s cocaine at sea.

Tabu
    The story evolves from the experiences of three women who are neighbours in a Lisbon block of flats, and each of them responds in different ways to a lonely existence.

That's My Boy
    Adam Sandler is Donny, a man, who, back in the ‘80s and aged 12, fathered a child with a teacher. Donny took custody of the child and called him Hans Solo but he lost touch with his son as they both grew older. Now, in the present, Donny is a slacker, while the son has gone on to become a successful businessman and changed his name to Todd.

The Queen of Versailles
    The holiday time-share industry has often been perceived as a little bit dubious, but Lauren Greenfield’s documentary isn’t so much about the losers as about the winners on the other side of the fence.

When the Lights Went Out
    A couple and their daughter move into the house they’ve always wanted to own, only to find out it’s haunted by poltergeists which pay special attention to the family’s young girl. The husband and wife have to rally against the ghosts and exorcise these evil spirits in order to be able to survive.

Over to you...

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm game for Dredd, Lawless, Love, and Raaz 3D.

On a more general note, I'm also game for a boardsie-film-club type thing, though I don't know what days will suit people best.

On a related note, we're a couple of months away from the 2012 Sci-fi Film Festival, which should be announcing its lineup fairly soon and usually has some decent stuff on offer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

serrity wrote: »
    That's My Boy
    Adam Sandler is Donny, a man, who, back in the ‘80s and aged 12, fathered a child with a teacher. Donny took custody of the child and called him Hans Solo but he lost touch with his son as they both grew older. Now, in the present, Donny is a slacker, while the son has gone on to become a successful businessman and changed his name to Todd.

This film sounds absolutely terrible!

I'd be up for this, I don't think I've actually been to the cinema this summer and I can't remember the last thing I went to see. I haven't even seen Batman yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Sounds like a good idea, I sometime head to the late late showings in camden on saturdays if I've nothing else going on, place is pretty much empty which is nice.
    If you're going to the cinema often you might want to get a Cineworld monthly pass

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Another couple of current shows I'd like to catch are The Imposter and Berberian Sound Studio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Prince Charles Cinema is always good for a laugh
    http://www.princecharlescinema.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Anyone South East within reasonable distance of the O2 should look into getting a Cineworld Unlimited card - it's only 14.99 per month so you've saved money if you go at least twice a month. I think it's the only Cineworld reasonably central that offer it (except for West India Quay, which is in that general area as well), as the rest come under 'West End' prices.

I love how many different types of cinema you can find in London, though. The Electric in Notting Hill closed for a few months this year after a bad fire, but is reopening in November apparently - well worth checking out. It's over 100 years old and has squashy sofas and foot rests, a really nice building. It is pricey, but no more so than anywhere in Leicester Square.

Also a big fan of the Prince Charles!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Fysh wrote: »
    Another couple of current shows I'd like to catch are The Imposter and Berberian Sound Studio.
    The Imposter is great. Well worth the watch.

Had this been posted 24 hours ago I'd have suggested Samsara but I went to see it last night. I'd strongly recommend others do so as well and on the biggest screen possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

S.M.B. wrote: »

Had this been posted 24 hours ago I'd have suggested Samsara but I went to see it last night. I'd strongly recommend others do so as well and on the biggest screen possible.

Yeah The Imposter is great! Much more enjoyable than any of the remakes or dodgy sequels out at the mo. To be honest apart from that film there's nothing here that screams 'must see in the cinema now'. Quiet after the summer I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I go on my own most of the time, I never really saw the point in going to the cinema in groups, or on first dates. Will you be going for beers afterwards etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

This would interest me also but this weekend is fully booked. Looking forward to Lawless and The Imposter in particular. Also game for a movie club of some kind as per Fysh suggestion!

• Advertisement

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I go on my own most of the time, I never really saw the point in going to the cinema in groups, or on first dates. Will you be going for beers afterwards etc?

In the past when we've done group outings we've gone for food/coffee/drinks beforehand and/or afterwards, and personally I'd lean towards a choice of date and time that allows us to do this. No point in a bunch of people getting together to watch a film if you can't chat about it afterwards to my mind :)

Doesn't seem to be showing at the BFI Imax in Waterloo .. really disappointed

Playboy wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a real shame it's not showing there. I went with the Curzon in Mayfair as the next best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

There's definitely a few films on that list that I'd like to see (particularly Lawless... the Sandler flick I can skip) and I've heard that F for Fake is worth seeing in the BFI

Unfortunately though Fridays are generally a bad night for me with drinks typically taking precedence

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Reekwind wrote: »
    There's definitely a few films on that list that I'd like to see (particularly Lawless... the Sandler flick I can skip) and I've heard that F for Fake is worth seeing in the BFI

Unfortunately though Fridays are generally a bad night for me with drinks typically taking precedence

That's a couple of votes for Lawless so...

I didn't mean we'd go to the cinema on Fridays, that's just when most new releases come out first. We can go on the night that suits most people.

Anyone here frequent the Ritzy in Brixton? Going to Anna K later on

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Was it any good? Read the book recently, but wouldn't be too hopeful about the film!

Yeah, I'm a member of the Ritzy even though I live closer to the Clapham Picturehouse.

Lovely Cinema and great for one off showings/Q&As etc.

Yeah I go semi regularly to the Ritzy and Clapham picturehouse. Streatham Odeon is closest to me so usually go there but its a terrible cinema.. worst punters i have come across in my life .. talking, texting, answering the phone etc etc. Not the kind of place you want to tell someone to shut up either as it could get serious. Always say I'll never go again but laziness always gets the better of me!

Looks like it's showing for 3 days in 2 weeks time

Hmmmmm, to go watch it again, or not?

• Advertisement

Also, it may be a few weeks away but the restored Radiers of the Lost Ark at the IMAX might not be a bad idea for a boardsie film club get together.

Looks like it's showing for 3 days in 2 weeks time

Hmmmmm, to go watch it again, or not?

I might pop over to the Ritzy actually as when I passed this morning I saw that it was playing!

Also, it may be a few weeks away but the restored Radiers of the Lost Ark at the IMAX might not be a bad idea for a boardsie film club get together.

How about a Secret Cinema get together or is that too much logistically? I havent been and I keep meaning to go

How about a Secret Cinema get together or is that too much logistically? I havent been and I keep meaning to go
    I think the logistics for that would be tough - between the cost, the limited control over dates and the "going in blind" nature of the film selection, it'd be hard to co-ordinate a group outing.

I might pop over to the Ritzy actually as when I passed this morning I saw that it was playing!
    It has disappeared from the IMAX listings. Odd!

Anna K wasn't amazing, but not bad, it looks really good, very well done.
    Back to Ritzy tonight to see Lawless, hope it's good, mixed reviews!

p.s. Mondays are cheap at Ritzy, half price or thereabouts

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Woolly_Jumper

I'm up for seeing Anna K, has anyone not seen it and keen? I'm really close to the Ritzy with work so cool to know about half price mondays :D

I've yet to see Anna K but Looper and Holy Motors are both out this weekend so they'll probably be my next 2 visits to the cinema (more than likely the ritzy) in the coming weeks.

Is there any interest in going to see either of these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

I'd be up for either Anna Karenina or Holy Motors - most likely Tuesday or Wednesday night of next week if that would suit anyone?

Advertisement