Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinemania

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Cool - looking forward to it! Meet at 8 just outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Yep!

Anyone interested in the Prince Charles Cinema's Lars Von Trier retrospective this Sunday? The Idiots, Dancer In The Dark and Melancholia - three films for £18 (or £12 if you happen to be a member).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is anyone interested in checking out a film or two at this weekends Sundance London at the O2. There's still tickets available for a few screenings.

I'm considering attending one or more of the following:

Upstream Color

Shane Carruths follow up to Primer.

In a World

Lake Bells directorial debut set in the world of voice over acting. Sounds kind of similar to Will Ferrells Stranger Than Fiction.

A.C.O.D

Adam Scott starring comedy based on the concept of being an Adult Children of Divorce. Great supporting cast.

The Kings of Summer

Looks like your typical indie coming of age film with another great supporting cast.

Blood Brother

This cleaned up the documentary awards at the US Sundance.

Screenings & Availability can be viewed here (£14 a ticket)

Each screening should have a film-maker Q&A after it.

Looks like there's some tickets for Mud back on sale too now. Jeff Nichols follow up to Take Shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Heading to Star Trek in the Coronet in Notting Hill tomorrow (Saturday) night at 8.45 with my OH and housemate if anyone else is interested?

• Advertisement

Heading to Star Trek in the Coronet in Notting Hill tomorrow (Saturday) night at 8.45 with my OH and housemate if anyone else is interested?

Would join you, but I'm going tomorrow in Greenwich with a friend who's visiting. Couple of other things I wouldn't mind seeing in the next few weeks, however - will look them up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If anyone's a fan of Don Hertzfeldt, the ICA are screening his feature film debut.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,395 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Those interested in Asian cinema should check out the Terracotta Far East Film Fest in June. As well as a range of new releases from Japan, Hong Kong, Indonesia etc, there's also horror marathons, retrospectives etc... It's run and curated by some of the few small dedicated Asian cinema distributors left operating.

I was over last year and loved it, so said **** it Id head over again this time for a few days :) Particularly looking forward to Story of Yonosuke.

Details here: http://terracottafestival.com/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Those interested in Asian cinema should check out the Terracotta Far East Film Fest in June. As well as a range of new releases from Japan, Hong Kong, Indonesia etc, there's also horror marathons, retrospectives etc... It's run and curated by some of the few small dedicated Asian cinema distributors left operating.

I was over last year and loved it, so said **** it Id head over again this time for a few days :) Particularly looking forward to Story of Yonosuke.

Details here: http://terracottafestival.com/

I'll second the recommendation, it was thanks to this festival that I got to see 20th Century Boys Part 3 at the cinema instead of on DVD. Must check out this year's lineup.

There's lot of double screenings of the My Neighbour Totoro/Grave of the Fireflies this weekend too.

I'm mighty tempted.

I should really get one of the few remaining tickets for the Stone Roses: Made in Stone Satellite Q&A screenings next Thursday.

• Advertisement

Anyone up for some brainless fun at Fast & Furious 6 tomorrow (Saturday) night?

Now that summer is allegedly here, it's time for outdoor film screenings! With a much more wallet-friendly price (£8 full price, or £4.50 with this TimeOut deal) this seems much more up my street than the Film 4 Summer Screen.

On a separate note, Edgar Wright fans may be interested in the 16.5 hour extravaganza coming up on the 6th of July. £30 for non-members, £27.50 for members.

The Red Shoes at Sommerset House on the 19th August is more up my street. Not as massive fan of rewatching cult classics when there's so many movies I've yet to see.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The Red Shoes at Somerset House on the 19th August is more up my street. Not as massive fan of rewatching cult classics when there's so many movies I've yet to see.

I like the idea of the Somerset House screenings -my main objection is that they're charging more than even full-price peak ticket prices at arthouse cinemas like the Curzon for sitting outside at night watching a film on the side of a building. I can understand higher prices for the premieres, but for old classics it's a mickey-take.

(Case in point, you can buy Red Shoes on DVD for less than £5 on Amazon, yet it's almost £15 at Somerset House).

Well it's intentionally positioned as a high end experience. There's something very appealing about seeing a movie in such a unique setting.

In saying that I haven't gone to a single movie there over the years even though there's always a decent line up.

I know we're in the middle of Blockbuster Season, but there are a few things coming up that might be worth a group outing:

The Act Of Killing - Out now, showing at a few places like the Curzon Soho & the ICA.

A Field In England - Out next week, should be getting a reasonably wide release.

Blancanieves - Out in two weeks, likely to be limited to the Curzon or the ICA.

Anyone interested in seeing any of the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Very much interested in A Field in England if anyone's going to see that

Reekwind wrote: »
    Very much interested in A Field in England if anyone's going to see that

Me too.

I'm definitely on for a cinematic expedition to watch A Field In England, but it's worth noting that it's also going to screened on Film 4 tomorrow night at 10:45pm. So if you're itching to see it ASAP, you can do so. And for free, to boot!

This film is on Netflix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF6SxjLBfHk Arranging a viewing party somewhere is now an immediate priority.

• Advertisement

serrity wrote: »
    This film is on Netflix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF6SxjLBfHk Arranging a viewing party somewhere is now an immediate priority.

Wow! That looks even better than this amazing feat of cinematographic excellence:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

serrity wrote: »

Oh my god, that trailer is amazing! Taffin is so dreamy :D

A few things though:

1. Why does his brother have a different accent to him though?
    2. Were they dollars in the bag?
    3. How does he keep his mane so glossy in the harsh Irish weather?

If anyone's still up for a group outing to see A Field In England, I reckon the Wednesday screening (18:50) at the Curzon Soho is the best choice - most of the other screenings are either much later or during the day.

Anyone else interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

1. Why does his brother have a different accent to him though?

Given that his accent changes every scene, they're bound to overlap eventually...

Two things I noticed from today's mailshot:

1) If you want to see A Field In England, it's also on at the ICA from today, and
    2) They have a SoundCloud page] with recordings of a bunch of things, including their recent Q&A session with the director of The Act Of Killing.

Fysh wrote: »
    If anyone's still up for a group outing to see A Field In England, I reckon the Wednesday screening (18:50) at the Curzon Soho is the best choice - most of the other screenings are either much later or during the day.

Anyone else interested?
    Interested but 18:50 is probably too early for me, this week at least. Weekend would be better, if possible

Interested but 18:50 is probably too early for me, this week at least. Weekend would be better, if possible

Feck sakes Reekwind. The weekend is for Definitely Not Transformers Vs Totally Not Godzilla (Guest-starring GLaDOS) Pacific Rim. Tch!

Edited to add:

I'm not so sure I can do the Wednesday screening, actually, so how about a Saturday 20:45 screening at the ICA instead?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

You could just watch the film and tell Reekwind what happens. I don't think he has a problem with spoilers.

:pac:

Fysh wrote: »
    I'm not so sure I can do the Wednesday screening, actually, so how about a Saturday 20:45 screening at the ICA instead?
    That could actually work. Let's do it

I might sneak a quick snack beforehand

• Advertisement

That could actually work. Let's do it

I might sneak a quick snack beforehand

Jack B. Badd has reminded me of the important fact that the ICA has absolutely woeful air conditioning, which is genuinely a problem on hot days - I remember almost passing out when watching the 2010 extended Metropolis release, and it wasn't any better when we went to see It's A Beautiful Life a few weeks. Unfortunately, nobody else is doing a conveniently-timed screening (the Soho Curzon has it, but it's an 11:45 screening) so I think I'm just going to pick up the DVD instead.

If you're interested we could have a screening at our place instead of a cinema trip :)

Advertisement