Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Drogheda] What is this thing?

Options
  • 05-09-2012 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭

Exploring Drodheda from the skies (while sitting comfortably in my chair), came across this shadow that looks like a large golf pin, and I have seen it as I drive along towards Drogheda, and it looks a lot like a water tank or water tower of some sort. Anyone know exactly what this is, and/or it's function?

http://goo.gl/maps/W76Yw
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

it's a google placemark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Kiltrough water tower on Beabeg Road. I have a wonderful view of it from my kitchen window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

It's God's golf tee.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Its a giants ice cream according to my 5 year old, the same way that the coal and turf storage container outside the shop in Wheaton Hall is a giants bread bin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks everyone, it's a lovely looking water tower alright - much better than the industrial looking water towers you see elsewhere. Now, I can't tell from the maps but I suppose public is not allowed near it? I haven't seen any photos from it's base - so I take it it's a no go area. It would be really nice if they let someone up there just once on a good day, to take a nice 360 panorama of the general area.
    I have a wonderful view of it from my kitchen window.

Oh la-Di-Da, look everyone, here's posh fella - his kitchen has a window. :p

positron wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, it's a lovely looking water tower alright - much better than the industrial looking water towers you see elsewhere. Now, I can't tell from the maps but I suppose public is not allowed near it? I haven't seen any photos from it's base - so I take it it's a no go area. It would be really nice if they let someone up there just once on a good day, to take a nice 360 panorama of the general area.

Oh la-Di-Da, look everyone, here's posh fella - his kitchen has a window. :p

HER kitchen;)

Here's the deal with it. It's built on land owned by a local landowner who's a bit of a cranky old man. Local knowledge has it that he paid far too much for the land and couldn't sell it and now he's stuck with it. He is down there a good bit, if you see the gate open it's an indication that he has driven down the road to check on his land. BUT apparently he doesn't own the tarmac road that leads down to the tower (and of course he doesn't own the tower) so if you happen to meet him all you need to do is stick to the tarmac road.
    The land is also let out to Piltown gun club so you could say you're a member there either (although the season doesn't start til November)

When you reach the bottom of the tower it is cordoned off by a tall perimeter fence but you could still get some fairly good shots. Of all the times I've walked down there I've never actually thought to take a photo of it, you tend to take it for granted I suppose.

035.jpg

Although I took this one last December from the fields behind our house about 8 in the morning from what I remember.

Advertisement