Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mars Confectionery

Options
  • 05-09-2012 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Just read there in the super sticky, twix, bounty etc, were listed as NOT veggie.
    Ingredient Declaration:

MILK CHOCOLATE (SUGAR, COCOA BUTTER, CHOCOLATE, SKIM MILK, LACTOSE, MILKFAT, SOY LECITHIN, PGPR, ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS), SUGAR, ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), PALM OIL, CORN SYRUP, SKIM MILK, DEXTROSE, LESS THAN 2% - FOOD STARCH-MODIFIED, SALT, COCOA POWDER, BAKING SODA, SOY LECITHIN, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR.

PRODUCT IS KOSHER

ALLERGY INFORMATION: MAY CONTAIN ALMONDS.

They're the official ingredients of a twix.

What am I missing in that listing there? someone said they contain rennet. Surely they would have to list that then, no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The ingredients list everything in the product. But not anything used in the manufacture which is eliminated from the end produced. Which can make something non vegetarian.

Regarding Mars chocolate, a few years ago Mars planned to start using whey produced with rennet, but the plans were cancelled very quickly because they got so many complaints.
    I'm guessing you were reading old posts in the sticky,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I believe at the time they were only looking to expand use of the whey and twix etc already had it? It says on their site that in the uk anyway, these are veggie now. It also says that if a mars product is vegetarian it will say so on it, so I assume those that don't are not.

http://www.mars.com/uk/en/our-commitments/health-and-nutrition/product-suitability.aspx

things like m&ms probably still aren't.

Advertisement