Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada eh,so who is going? Where are you/ will you be?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭evan2509

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Decided to go for Calgary myself. Can't wait. Does anyone know what the chances are of a tourist visa to the states while in Canada? Would love to do a road trip to Vegas at some point!

Was thinking this too, I'm sure ya could get a holiday visa no problem like, surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

yea i am fecking rageing i checked the flights a month ago 1 way to Calgary end of march and they were 320 checked now and there 500 rage:( haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

evan2509 wrote: »
    Was thinking this too, I'm sure ya could get a holiday visa no problem like, surely.

Just apply online for the ESTA and you are free to travel to the States on your Irish passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Phonehead wrote: »
    Just apply online for the ESTA and you are free to travel to the States on your Irish passport.

Slightly off topic...
    That's all you need to visit the States from Canada?
    Reason I ask is because I'm thinking of heading down to Seattle this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

Panthro wrote: »
    Slightly off topic...
    That's all you need to visit the States from Canada?
    Reason I ask is because I'm thinking of heading down to Seattle this weekend.

I might be wrong (and I hope I'm not as a trip to Seattle is also on my cards for the weekend) but I don't think you will require a visa or anything like it to go down. Will you be travelling by bus? As far as I understand, the ESTA is for air travel only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

an esta is only required if entering the states through an airport.
    If crossing over land, you will get pulled into the border office to get a 3-month temporary visitor visa...they're 6 or 8 dollars (cant remember exactly) and once you've got it you can cross over and back as many times as you want for 3 months.

youll be fingerprinted and have a mugshot taken, and assuming youve got the right paperwork and everythings fine, you'll be sent on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Tiddlers wrote: »
    I might be wrong (and I hope I'm not as a trip to Seattle is also on my cards for the weekend) but I don't think you will require a visa or anything like it to go down. Will you be travelling by bus? As far as I understand, the ESTA is for air travel only.

Me fecking mate can't go so looks like I won't be going either.
    Dahh!
    Cheers for the info, enjoy yourself down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Hi all,
    I'm hoping to go to Canada for 1 year+ next Easter (long story, missed the IEC as my passport was out of date, so will have to wait til next year!)

I had originally thought of Vancouver- a friend is there now, she's moving to Edmonton soon. However, I've heard it's all kinds of expensive to live in, so it's kind of putting me off.

I then thought of Montreal- I have some French, so would love to spend time in such a mixed environment :D

Does anyone know if it's any cheaper there? Is work reasonably easy to come by? (I work in the admin/PA sector)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 vicquebec

I used to live in Ireland, Now live in Quebec city about 3hrd north from Montreal. The city has a nice mix of French and English. You will need to have a goof knowledge of French for day to day stuff but for work.. it snot always necessary. Most jobs will advertise with the requirement of bilingualism but that can be just for legal reasons, don't let it put you off! They is a great IT/PA sector so if you are patient and look hard enough something should come up.

I arrived in Quebec with no french and got a great IT job with 2weeks!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

WasterEx wrote: »
    Excellent! Let us know how it goes, enjoy! :D

Been here a month now. Cold but getting warmer. Going well over all. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Johanna3

anyone going to Toronto? I am planning on head early April

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I am a maybe for Toronto. Tossing between there and Calgary still

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

iamstop wrote: »
    Been here a month now. Cold but getting warmer. Going well over all. ;)

Good to hear man! Did you have a job sorted before you went over or have you found one already?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

hdowney wrote: »
    I am a maybe for Toronto. Tossing between there and Calgary still

Im def doing Toronto , but hoping to go to New Orleans for Wrestlemania next year(its one think ive always wanted to do so might aswell do it on the way to Canada) then from New Orleans to Toronto

Im def doing Toronto , but hoping to go to New Orleans for Wrestlemania next year(its one think ive always wanted to do so might aswell do it on the way to Canada) then from New Orleans to Toronto

Oh God I'd love to go to Wrestlemania - 99.9% chance you'd be up in the god's and watching everything on one of the titans, but you'd be THERE!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

anyone else heading to Vancouver? Few of us heading in June/July, can't wait! :D

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    anyone else heading to Vancouver? Few of us heading in June/July, can't wait! :D

I'd say the majority of people on here are heading to Calgary or at least it's on their mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

no there not no one goes to Calgary its meant to be a ****hole and has one of the highest rates of unemployment in canada avoid it at all costs:D;)

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    no there not no one goes to Calgary its meant to be a ****hole and has one of the highest rates of unemployment in canada avoid it at all costs:D;)

Shhh! I was trying to trick him! ;) Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Thinking this myself, it would be epic. would love to hit this years one but the line up doesnt look that good lol

Yeah me and my mate are heading ASAP. As soon as the LOI comes threw we are out of here. Got our apartment and all sorted already just have to move the furniture in :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Thinking this myself, it would be epic. would love to hit this years one but the line up doesnt look that good lol

Yeah me and my mate are heading ASAP. As soon as the LOI comes threw we are out of here. Got our apartment and all sorted already just have to move the furniture in :D:D:D

Cool nice one. Have you been to Canada before? I was in Toronto last year for a week and it was class. Hopefully Vancouver is better! There better be a load of rugby and soccer teams there!

How did you sort the apartment already?

Cool nice one. Have you been to Canada before? I was in Toronto last year for a week and it was class. Hopefully Vancouver is better! There better be a load of rugby and soccer teams there!

How did you sort the apartment already?

Mates auntie owns a apartment there in North Van and she lives in the cayman Islands :D (cheap rent hopefully);)

No Iv never been but been having a good look up about it. Yeah theres Gaa, soccer and rugby teams. Check out http://www.moving2canada.com/ seen info there about this.

Many of use heading out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 econolinejo

hey guys, im from canada and stumbled on this website somehow.. our classifieds site is kijiji.ca and craigslist as well, just thought it might be helpful! Im from toronto area, and living west of there near a city london, ontario. If i can be of any help with tips for those areas please let me know!

Oh God I'd love to go to Wrestlemania - 99.9% chance you'd be up in the god's and watching everything on one of the titans, but you'd be THERE!!!!!

Ha yea , i know a few people who seem to go every year and if you are on the ball you can get decent seats

Ha yea , i know a few people who seem to go every year and if you are on the ball you can get decent seats

And I'd say you'd need a pretty deep wallet too - I mean Vincent likes his money!!

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Mates auntie owns a apartment there in North Van and she lives in the cayman Islands :D (cheap rent hopefully);)

No Iv never been but been having a good look up about it. Yeah theres Gaa, soccer and rugby teams. Check out http://www.moving2canada.com/ seen info there about this.

Many of use heading out?

Landing on ye're feet so! Cheers. That's good. One of the lads his gf, 2 others girls and myself as far as I know.

Just sent my application to the CIC. Anyone know how long that takes?

Landing on ye're feet so! Cheers. That's good. One of the lads his gf, 2 others girls and myself as far as I know.

Just sent my application to the CIC. Anyone know how long that takes?

Just from the processing times the average is 2months but people have been getting theirs after about a week so fingers crossed :D

Gud few of use heading then so you will b sweet. looking forward to trying out the nightlife in Vancouver (hopefully its better than here)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

hey guys, im from canada and stumbled on this website somehow.. our classifieds site is kijiji.ca and craigslist as well, just thought it might be helpful! Im from toronto area, and living west of there near a city london, ontario. If i can be of any help with tips for those areas please let me know!

That's very kind of you, thank you :).

I'm going to Lloydminster myself, so quite a long way from your areas, but I think loads of people using this forum are planning to go to Toronto.

TBH this thread has become very rambling & long, there are separate threads too about various cities/regions/provinces.

And I'd say you'd need a pretty deep wallet too - I mean Vincent likes his money!!

Ah yea its all money depending tbh but def would be worth it in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ciaran20041329

well lads,
    Im heading over to Toronto in the next couple of months, was supposed to be heading over with the girlfriend but sure, yee know yourselves. Heading over alone now instead and im fairly bricking it. Not really sure if im making the right decision to be honest but its worth a go im guessing. For what its worth, im in my early twenties, wondering if theres anybody else doing this solo or am i just being being reckless?
    Does anybody have advice? I have two years barwork, a degree in criminal justice and a thick Irish accent. Im hoping one of these will land me some sort of job :/

Advertisement