Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada eh,so who is going? Where are you/ will you be?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

same boat mate forget about her and don't look back;)... mid 20's myself but hitting Calgary i would imagine with your experience you will be grand:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Also going solo - no-one wanted to go so.... Big step but I think it'l be worth it in the long run. You settled on where in Can you are going yet?

EDIT: Just copped you said you were going to Toronto :D

op said Toronto:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

well lads,
    Im heading over to Toronto in the next couple of months, was supposed to be heading over with the girlfriend but sure, yee know yourselves. Heading over alone now instead and im fairly bricking it. Not really sure if im making the right decision to be honest but its worth a go im guessing. For what its worth, im in my early twenties, wondering if theres anybody else doing this solo or am i just being being reckless?
    Does anybody have advice? I have two years barwork, a degree in criminal justice and a thick Irish accent. Im hoping one of these will land me some sort of job :/

Do you know where you're going? I'll be in Toronto for about a week in early April (along my travels)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ciaran20041329

ha i have no idea yet, just gonna find a cheap hostel somewhere in the city, stay for a week and i hope i bump into a few lads in the same position. Im hoping its going to be like starting college alone again, branching out and all that! hopefully the transition will be as easy anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

ha i have no idea yet, just gonna find a cheap hostel somewhere in the city, stay for a week and i hope i bump into a few lads in the same position. Im hoping its going to be like starting college alone again, branching out and all that! hopefully the transition will be as easy anyway!
    Fair play, well when you're out of your comfort zone, and alone, it does tend to force you to make the effort and reach out to people..
    I'm heading over to Vancouver where I know a couple of people, but on my way I'm travelling the US (plus Montreal and Toronto) for three months, taking in about 15 states.. completely terrified as I'm leaving in 2.5 weeks, but by jaysus if I don't do it now, I'll never do it!

I've recently found myself randomly chatting to strangers in shops, bars etc. I guess for practice; turns out it's really easy and awesome.

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Fair play, well when you're out of your comfort zone, and alone, it does tend to force you to make the effort and reach out to people..
    I'm heading over to Vancouver where I know a couple of people, but on my way I'm travelling the US (plus Montreal and Toronto) for three months, taking in about 15 states.. completely terrified as I'm leaving in 2.5 weeks, but by jaysus if I don't do it now, I'll never do it!

I've recently found myself randomly chatting to strangers in shops, bars etc. I guess for practice; turns out it's really easy and awesome.

Well chatting has never really been an issue, just have an honest approach and youll always make friends I suppose. It would just be a lot nicer going with an already existing mate...
    Ha man, go for it! Thats an experience youll carry with you for the rest of your life. I hope you get on alright!!
    On a side note, is anybody heading to toronto around end of april/ may (all going well), wouldnt mind somebody to have a bit of craic with thats in the same position as myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 7drunkennights

I'll be in Ottawa next Tuesday!

Well lads, for all those that have had your permits accepted, i need your help!!
    Ive been tearing my hair out with CIC's system! For days i couldn't upload my IMM1295, it just kept coming back with an error message. I eventually got it up and running with all my other necessary documents (offer of employment and schooling doesnt apply), went to submit and realised, there is no submit button, continue button, next or anything of the sort! Im getting sick with worry now, ive so much pinned on this and it seems lke the website is letting me down... has this happened to anybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

Well lads, for all those that have had your permits accepted, i need your help!!
    Ive been tearing my hair out with CIC's system! For days i couldn't upload my IMM1295, it just kept coming back with an error message. I eventually got it up and running with all my other necessary documents (offer of employment and schooling doesnt apply), went to submit and realised, there is no submit button, continue button, next or anything of the sort! Im getting sick with worry now, ive so much pinned on this and it seems lke the website is letting me down... has this happened to anybody else?

if you didnt submit the 1295 form then you won't get a continue or submit its only when all the documents are uploaded that you can continue.
    i was getting errors with the intended employment in canada part, left the address part blank but put in unknown for job title and description.
    you shouldn't be getting the offer of employment and schooling part.

also search the megathread all your answers will be in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭The_Poznan

Exact same problem lad everything uploaded but no option to proceed and its been like this for weeks...I have revoked it twice tried different browsers etc and still same. Wondering should we just send it in via direct post?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 oreilly09

well lads,
    Im heading over to Toronto in the next couple of months, was supposed to be heading over with the girlfriend but sure, yee know yourselves. Heading over alone now instead and im fairly bricking it. Not really sure if im making the right decision to be honest but its worth a go im guessing. For what its worth, im in my early twenties, wondering if theres anybody else doing this solo or am i just being being reckless?
    Does anybody have advice? I have two years barwork, a degree in criminal justice and a thick Irish accent. Im hoping one of these will land me some sort of job :/
    heading over to toronto early june lad......heading with the girlfriend ( kiwi ) none of us will know anyone so happily meet you for a handful of pints some afternoon if you are up for it ......anxious enough to get out and about before the gf and me kill each other over there! 27 and from clonmel..........went to ucc and ul........

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SAKBOUND

I'm heading to a place called Weyburn SK in Early. Its 100kms south east of Regina. Got myself a job as a Product support Technician for a Agricultural dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭del777

Hi Guys, Anybody heading to or already in Melfort/ St Brieux in SK?? I am quite nervous heading over as I feel its in the middle of nowhwere?? Any help appreciated!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kev.walsh

Hey lads, having the same problem with the IMM1295 form, filled it out numerous times and each time an error message comes up saying that it contains invalid entries? My firend had done it a week previous and did it the exact same way but for some reason mine wont accept. should i just fill it in by hand and scan/post it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kev.walsh

scratch that last one, just tried taking out the province and city/town section in the 'intended employment' section and it worked then! try that those still having problems

for anything mate that does not apply to you write N/A for example city/province and also intended job:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 totsy88

so anyone heading off to or are in Edmonton? Im affraid im gonna be the only irish guy up there. somebody help me out :D whats the place like to live in?

why edmonton and not calgary dude?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 totsy88

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    why edmonton and not calgary dude?:D

I have a keen intrest in geology and I want to take that to the rig indistury. Edmonton is the oil capital so there I go.
    Though if it was harder to get work in Edmonton I would go to Calgary but id rather be in Edmonton for my above reasons.
    Looking for some construction labourer work just to get me settled in first then onto the big guns :)

Calgary is number 2 if I have to

• Advertisement

not so bad samw plan as me sooo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pooljinx

6 lads heading over to Vancouver going to share one big gaf cannot wait booked my flights tonight for the 15th of May!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 robinc80

Heading off again, solo, hopefully in May/June, no fixed plan yet.
    Did Vancouver on my last IEC, planning on settling in Halifax for a while this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Did you enjoy vancouver?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 robinc80

zweton wrote: »
    Did you enjoy vancouver?

It was ok. Once the newness of it wore off me, I have to say I wasn't overly gone on the city, and I can't really put my finger on why.
    The people are alright too, a lot more stand-offish than east coasters tend to be from my experience in travelling at the end of my stay.
    I had no issue getting work there though, mainly banking and call centre work. But that was almost 6 years ago. I'm sure times have changed as much in Van as anywhere else.
    Victoria and Vancouver Island were ace though, used to go over there quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Sorry if this in the wrong thread everybody.

In the last couple of days I have decided that I have to make the move as I have hit a brick wall here.. I'm sure many of you can understand. I realise the iec numbers have been filled for this year and was just wondering whether there was any other way in?

I have family friends who have been over there going on 30 years and was thinking it may be possible for them to help if they could sponsor me or something?

I'm looking at going to Edmonton so if I ever do make it I would love to meet up with people off here.

I'm sure you get loads on here asking these silly questions so sorry for that and thanks in advance.:)

depends have you a trade or skill that's in demand? if so you could get in on the skills visa if not your best bet would be an lmo but you would need a canada employer for that and it takes up to about 16 weeks:D

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    depends have you a trade or skill that's in demand? if so you could get in on the skills visa if not your best bet would be an lmo but you would need a canada employer for that and it takes up to about 16 weeks:D
    Is being a chancer on the skills list?:D

I'm a qualified fibre splicer but don't have the experience I would need to qualify so the answer to that would be no sadly.

So basically you are saying I would need to have a written job offer to have a chance?

yea basically mate. when an employer cant source a local person to fill a job he can apply to the government to seek to get an lmo which would allow him to look to Ireland to source an employee i no they do it for trades as there is a huge shortage but for an lmo you would really need a trade or a special skill i would image

• Advertisement

Ah right cheers.

I think I'll chance my arm with the one of the people I know who is over there. She works for a gold mining company and is pretty high up so it can't hurt I guess.

Where are you heading to yourself?

Advertisement