Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada eh,so who is going? Where are you/ will you be?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

hdowney wrote: »
    Why is it an insult?

Because it was a derogatory way that Non-Newfoundland Canadians referred to Newfoundlanders. Same as racial slurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

seb65 wrote: »
    Because it was a derogatory way that Non-Newfoundland Canadians referred to Newfoundlanders. Same as racial slurs.

Ah ok. That's fair enough. Do ye refer to yerselfs as Newfoundlanders then or do ye got a shorter acceptable version - tis a fair mouthful!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I often get mistaken for a newfoundler, especially when ive been drinking.
    supposedly we both descend into speaking rapidly in a distinct accent after a few drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Aquila wrote: »
    How similar is a Newfoundlander accent to an Irish one?

Depends on the part of newfoundland. On the Southern Shore the people sound like they're from Cork.

• Advertisement

i find it very country, like midlands or north munster.
    Which confuses me as im from donegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

is calgary a generally nice place to live? iv looked up pictures of the place and it seems nice but pictures can make anything look nice :confused:

Aquila wrote: »
    Very interesting I have to say!i must take a trip over to Newfoundland someday!

You should for sure, but only between July - October. The weather is pretty miserable outside of those months. It's beautiful though and the people are very friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Birdster

seb65 wrote: »
    You should for sure, but only between July - October. The weather is pretty miserable outside of those months. It's beautiful though and the people are very friendly.

Visa dependent, I'm heading to St. Johns in June next year.......I'll adapt to the miserable weather. Fishing, Moose hunting, drinking and checking out Swilers rugby team (I got some inside information) what more could a girl ask for :D

A map with the location of boardsies in Canada

Add yourself to it.....do eeeeeeeeeett!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

retalivity wrote: »
    A map with the location of boardsies in Canada

Add yourself to it.....do eeeeeeeeeett!!

how do you add yourself?

*edit* got it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Helix wrote: »
    how do you add yourself?

*edit* got it

I don't get it so tell me how to add :o

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I don't get it so tell me how to add :o

1. You need to sign into google.
    2. Click "Edit" on the right hand side.
    3. Add placemark to wherever you are, and edit to give your boards id, or whatever info you want
    4. Click save

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eim

Me and my boyfriend are going in three weeks to Toronto. Anyone looking for a roomie or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

i will be going to canada in sept/ oct next year and i was wondering if it would be easier to get a job in a ski resort for the winter and then in spring get a professional job?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭snoopmadra

myself and the wife are off to calgary/edmonton on the 14th of october!! prob settle in edmonton!any advice lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

snoopmadra wrote: »
    myself and the wife are off to calgary/edmonton on the 14th of october!! prob settle in edmonton!any advice lads?

Get a good winter coat, its going to start getting cold from next week.
    Apply for Alberta health coverage straight away - pays for your doctor and hospital visits any registry will supply this service
    go to Service Canada and get your Social Insurance Number as soon as you can, will enable you to open a bank account and means you can start work as soon as you can.
    What kind of work will you be looking for?

Get a good winter coat, its going to start getting cold from next week.
    Apply for Alberta health coverage straight away - pays for your doctor and hospital visits any registry will supply this service
    go to Service Canada and get your Social Insurance Number as soon as you can, will enable you to open a bank account and means you can start work as soon as you can.
    What kind of work will you be looking for?

im a carpenter and the missus is an environmental consultant,the health coverage is great to know,thanks!
    ya we'll get SINs asap cause we wanna start work fairly quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Frostine

snoopmadra wrote: »
    Dress for the cold in lots of layers! The weather can change drastically from morning to night (or even in a couple of hours) so you can always add or remove clothing if you have layers. Also, coming from Ireland to the dry prairies you'll need a good moisturizer! You won't believe how dry and windy it can be here. Make sure you take vitamin D in the winter. Sounds crazy, but as we get closer to winter the hours of daylight get less and less. Adequate levels of vit.D will boost your immune system.

Have a safe trip!

(I sound just like someone's mom, ha ha!)

Frostine wrote: »
    Dress for the cold in lots of layers! The weather can change drastically from morning to night (or even in a couple of hours) so you can always add or remove clothing if you have layers. Also, coming from Ireland to the dry prairies you'll need a good moisturizer! You won't believe how dry and windy it can be here. Make sure you take vitamin D in the winter. Sounds crazy, but as we get closer to winter the hours of daylight get less and less. Adequate levels of vit.D will boost your immune system.

Have a safe trip!

(I sound just like someone's mom, ha ha!)

thanks,all advice welcome:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Little over 2 weeks to go!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I hate you tuddle :D, (I love you really)! Besta luck, we will miss you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 V8_man

I am new to boards.ie but have been meaning to sign up for a while to keep in touch with what's happening back in Ireland. This thread seemed a good place to start since I've been living in British Columbia for three years - sort of by accident - and have never looked back. The weather is just like home!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭davymc31

ive just being offered a job in winnipeg im a glazier he said $28 hour was wondering do you think its enough and do ye know anything about winnipeg

• Registered Users Posts: 11 njoe

Hi folks,
    my self and the family are thinking of heading over probably to Calgary or Edmonton im an Electrician she is a hair stylist. Only problem is i don't have job yet is there any one out there that knows some one in a recruiting agency or a good web site that people would be looking for Irish Electricians? Thank in advance guys

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Kaz88

Quick question someone might be able to answer for me. Thinking of Canada early 2014 if I apply for the visa when it opens next month how long do I have to use it? Prob the 1 year working visa Ill be applying for - or maybe the skilled worker:D cant seem to find answer anywhere cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i'll be in Calgary for at least a week on the 30th of October, if any boardsies want to go for drinks, that would be brilliant. Planning on working in Banff but if I like Calgary and get work easy, may stay in Calgary instead!

anyone know where to get legal 2nd year insurance for IEC? most of the backpacker insurance seem to only cover people that have been resident in Ireland for a few months but I've been in Toronto the past year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Little over 2 weeks to go!! :eek:

Are ya here yet are ya here yet?
    Can we stop at the shop can we stop at the shop?!

I've skidaddled over to Vancouver Island for a gawk, spent a month in Vancouver and worked a full 5 days.
    Lady luck didn't dance for me so I decided to go for an aul explore!

Advertisement