Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada eh,so who is going? Where are you/ will you be?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    anyone know where to get legal 2nd year insurance for IEC? most of the backpacker insurance seem to only cover people that have been resident in Ireland for a few months but I've been in Toronto the past year.

You could just apply for the provincial health care, covers everything (at least in BC it does). Costs $60 per month in BC, think it could be cheaper in Alberta.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

sprinkles wrote: »
    You could just apply for the provincial health care, covers everything (at least in BC it does). Costs $60 per month in BC, think it could be cheaper in Alberta.

I got onto Multitrip, they are willing to insure me despite me not filling the resident in Ireland for the last 6 months requirement. 205 euro including winter sports, can't get better than that I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Panthro wrote: »
    Are ya here yet are ya here yet?
    Can we stop at the shop can we stop at the shop?!

I've skidaddled over to Vancouver Island for a gawk, spent a month in Vancouver and worked a full 5 days.
    Lady luck didn't dance for me so I decided to go for an aul explore!

Ha! Only seeing this now. PM has been sent :p

I've done feic all sight seeing as only here a week. Did go down to Mahonys pub on the water front and you can see all of north vancouver and the mountains it looks amazing! Will do more tourist stuff when get work. Money is FLYING out the window everyday here.
    sprinkles wrote: »

Didn't realise you had to pay for it monthly?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

provincial healthcare in Alberta is free

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

bstar wrote: »
    provincial healthcare in Alberta is free

And you can apply the day you land. You'll be covered in 72 hours and have your card in the post in two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Tonto86 wrote: »
    And you can apply the day you land. You'll be covered in 72 hours and have your card in the post in two weeks.

good to know. thats even better than the system in place in Ontario.

How's everybody getting on now? :)

Finally found a place to live after looking for 6 weeks or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    How's everybody getting on now? :)

Finally found a place to live after looking for 6 weeks or so!

Where bouts ya living?! I'm 5min walk from Joyce Skytrain. Not too shoddy bar the complete lack of furniture!

I'm 5 mins walk from 29th Skytrain so you are only down the road :pac:

Met up with a Boardsie over on holidays last night for a few pints and ended up getting the wrong night bus home...landed at the airport :o Wasn't the drinks fault I was simply on wrong side of the road for the right bus :D But managed to turn a disaster into a solution. Learning the routes the hard way!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MartyLK

retalivity wrote: »
    i find it very country, like midlands or north munster.
    Which confuses me as im from donegal!

Hey sorry to annoy you, few of your posts had got my attention before because you're in London, ON and it's somewhere I'm thinking about. But now I see you're from Donegal like myself so just wanted to say hello before I'll probably start to bombard you with questions about the place!!

I'll start with where you from? and do you like it?? :)

Hope life's good for ya,

Marty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ill send you a pm...busy at the mo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Can give info for anyone heading to Halifax area - great spot, historically a great Irish community, and only a 5 hour direct flight to Heathrow

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'm moving to Winnipeg for a job in 2 weeks. Time to get packing/shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Off to Vancouver on the 27th to activate my residency. Only going for two weeks this time though!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hoping to head to Toronto next year (if i get the visa) .

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

media101 wrote: »
    hey im writing a step by step guide to applying for an iec visa on irishalien.com here is a link to my blog http://irishalien.com/2012/12/28/moving-to-canada-a-step-by-step-guide/ hopefully it will help out a few people who are traveling over.

Excellent idea, it is so hard to figure out all the bits and pieces & seems quite overwhelming. I planned to keep a similar record of our SINP application but I didn't really stay on top of it :o - perhaps you might want to have one on your blog too? I'm sure that between a few contributors we could come up with the required material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I've been researching moving to Canada for a while now. Going to keep looking at things online while saving as much as possible. I hope to be there befor this time next year all going well. It's obviously quite a while away but I'd like to have a decent amount going over so I don't have to scrimp and save till I find a job.

I'm not really sure where in Canada I'd like to go. Somewhere with decent job prospect and not in the middle of nowhere I suppose, sure I've plenty of time to look.

I'll probably be heading alone which has me a little nervous but I'm told it's the best way to do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

retalivity wrote: »
    London is the size of Cork

...and as interesting as a cork

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cianjg

I'm going to hit up Toronto sometime around September I think. Gonna wait for my graduation before going and I have some other ****e during the summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ciaran67 wrote: »
    ...and as interesting as a cork

:)

Thats a bit insulting to Cork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

Excellent idea, it is so hard to figure out all the bits and pieces & seems quite overwhelming. I planned to keep a similar record of our SINP application but I didn't really stay on top of it :o - perhaps you might want to have one on your blog too? I'm sure that between a few contributors we could come up with the required material?

hey im keeping this blog so it will help others plus its a fun cool thing to say in the interview :cool: anyhoo iv updated the blog with a new post :D if anyone wants to check it out. <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Media101, promotion of your blog is regarded as spamming, which is not allowed on Boards.ie
    Please refrain from promotion of your blog it from now on.
    Any questions please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 njoe

Hi folks,

Can anyone give me an idea of the price its gonna cost to actually get there? We are thinking of Edmonton or similar

By price i mean how much will it take to get out there before you start work?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

njoe wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Can anyone give me an idea of the price its gonna cost to actually get there? We are thinking of Edmonton or similar

By price i mean how much will it take to get out there before you start work?

Cheers

500-700 (euro) PP per return about 3/4 of this for one way.
    about 1500-2000 (dollars) for an apartment including first and last months. Half this per month afterwards

You also need money to live on before finding a job. I wouldn't do it unless you had about 5k altogether and an exit strategy incase it goes belly up.

Edit: Forgot to add in visa costs aswell. Not sure what they are for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

well i have 4.5k and serious game plan worked up so hopefully i will have enough:) i always believe if you want something bad enough it will work out so if i got to work in a kebab shop till i get on a job in the oil rigs i will:)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Heading to Montreal in the next 2/3 months.. trying to evade the Winter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Johanna3

Hoping to go to Toronto, I was planning to be there for early March, but that was based on the assumption that the IEC permits would be released late 2012. As it is I hope to go for April now. I will be going alone so very nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Johanna3 wrote: »
    Hoping to go to Toronto, I was planning to be there for early March, but that was based on the assumption that the IEC permits would be released late 2012. As it is I hope to go for April now. I will be going alone so very nervous

Hoping to be in Toronto by March/ April too. I'm going alone as well but I'm not to worried, there's a big Irish community there so if you feel home sick, an irish accent might ease the pain...some alcohol too haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11 njoe

Limericks wrote: »
    500-700 (euro) PP per return about 3/4 of this for one way.
    about 1500-2000 (dollars) for an apartment including first and last months. Half this per month afterwards

You also need money to live on before finding a job. I wouldn't do it unless you had about 5k altogether and an exit strategy incase it goes belly up.

Edit: Forgot to add in visa costs aswell. Not sure what they are for now.

Yea so its not as easy as just upping sticks. Although if you could manage to land a job before arriving you would be laughing.
    I have been looking and its kinda hard to find some one that will hire an electrician with out the red seal, and this you can only do over there.(more money)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Johanna3

I know a girl who is living there for the past two years, I have been emailing her and she did mention that it can take a few months to get work, so you would prob need at least 5k to keep you going.

Advertisement