Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada eh,so who is going? Where are you/ will you be?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Just about finished all my packing. Movers arrive tomorrow. I hope I'm within the 3 cubic meters I'm quoted for. :-/

Anyway, off Saturday, early in the morning. Arrive in Winnipeg at about half 7pm. Exciting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

iamstop wrote: »
    Just about finished all my packing. Movers arrive tomorrow. I hope I'm within the 3 cubic meters I'm quoted for. :-/

Anyway, off Saturday, early in the morning. Arrive in Winnipeg at about half 7pm. Exciting times ahead.

Excellent! Let us know how it goes, enjoy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Lads...I went on the Canadian visa website and I'm still waiting for them to update it regarding working holiday visas for 2013
    Been on the dole for fck knows,need to get over there to fck. Any one got any info on it/what the craic is
    Help a pad in dire need ha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Sorry for being absent for so long everybody! Was worried I'd end up on a plane home due to being broke long ago and lack of employment.

BUT :pac:

Finally got hired and start work tomorrow. Can finally start living the Canadian dream(once the mate is paid off for helping me out the last few weeks:D) !

Others have come out and been fortunate enough to get work quickly but I really can't strongly advise enough the importance of having enough money in the bank to support yourself. Money flies out of your pocket over here so top up those bank accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I know it will depend on many things but what, from your experience, kind of money do you think would suffice?

Thanks in advance

Edit: great to hear you got a job BTW :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

njoe wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Can anyone give me an idea of the price its gonna cost to actually get there? We are thinking of Edmonton or similar

By price i mean how much will it take to get out there before you start work?

Cheers
    There is a thread about booking flights, where I commented about the fluctuating prices.

Flights to Edmonton....
    My other half went there 4 weeks ago. It cost about €790 for his 3 flights, one way. Originally it looked like being around 950, but prices dropped by 160 overnight. In winter there are no direct flights from Ireland to Torronto, so he had to go via London. Then the flight from Torronto to Edmonton.
    In summer there are direct flights from Dublin (& Shannon I think?) to Torronto, making the journey slightly easier, but I don't know what summer prices are like.

Then there's the entry/work visa at immigration, fees for work related medical, if required.
    Fees for cold-weather-protective clothing if working in certain industries (cost my OH around £1200).
    Then of course food, accommodation, mobile phones are pricey (but call cards are excellent value, particularly if you use them to call an Irish landline).

Don't underestimate it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Karlos_Sparky

I just recieved my sinp nomination on Friday ! My wife, 7 year old daughter, the dog (!) And I will be heading to Regina SK in mid Feb. Have a job lined up with a crown corporation so here's hoping all goes well. Time to get stuck into the packing !

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

I just recieved my sinp nomination on Friday ! My wife, 7 year old daughter, the dog (!) And I will be heading to Regina SK in mid Feb. Have a job lined up with a crown corporation so here's hoping all goes well. Time to get stuck into the packing !

Congrats mate, we are straight up the highway from Regina in a place called Melfort, well 4 hours up the road!
    Waiting on our SINP being processed at present! Applied last August
    Drove through Regina in december looks like a nice city

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I have no idea what a sinp is!!! Which is weird I thought I knew everything!

Waiting on the IEC to open up again and I am going for it. I am so scurred though. Like I have this mentality (stemming from not having money growing up) where I buy something or do something that costs money and then feel guilty afterward. Only thing here is I am panicing and feeling guilty and I haven't left yet. It is such a big commitment and a decent chunk of change needed and I worry I'll fail, like end up no job, no money, homeless and no way home and will have wasted everything. I know it is completely irrational but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

I feel the same bud, but at least if i fail and have to come due to lack of money or work i will no i tried. and there's nothing in Ireland now so i am going to do everything i can so that i don't have to come home.
    Yea i wish it would open as i want to be there by april.:)

• Advertisement

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    I feel the same bud, but at least if i fail and have to come due to lack of money or work i will no i tried. and there's nothing in Ireland now so i am going to do everything i can so that i don't have to come home.

Yea that's what my mam said. That not to think of it in terms of the cost, think of it in terms of how crap life is here, and how hard you know you will work over there to succeed cos you DON'T wanna come home to this again! I just don't wanna be ringing her looking for her to scrape together the money to try and get me a flight home, spech as they ain't cheap! :O

Yea that's a fact mate. where ya thinking of going? what money ya hoping to bring with ya?

My plan would be to have a return ticket booked. The date can be changed, for a fee, if I need it sooner or want to push it back to a later date

Yea that's a fact mate. where ya thinking of going? what money ya hoping to bring with ya?

I am about 90% that I am going to Calgary, could still be swayed though. I plan on bringing a minimum of $6.5 grand pls god
    My plan would be to have a return ticket booked. The date can be changed, for a fee, if I need it sooner or want to push it back to a later date

When would ya book it for though - the end of the two year, a couple months into your visa?

Jeez man you be sorted i will only have about 5k but as i said earlier i am going work straight away and wont be drinking or going out till i get sum thing even if its only a job that covers the cost of my living till i get a better job.
    Good man heading Calgary myself same as wasterEX seems few of us going there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

When are you booking a return flight for? I was checking flights last night just to see what the story was and you can't book a return that much in advance (1yr/ 2yrs). Just curious as to what your plan is on that one. :)

WasterEx wrote: »
    When are you booking a return flight for? I was checking flights last night just to see what the story was and you can't book a return that much in advance (1yr/ 2yrs). Just curious as to what your plan is on that one. :)

@H

I think the max you can book in advance is 330 days. Id probably book for 6 months in advance and see how it goes, probably better to ask people who have done it though, I'm pretty much guessing to be honest.

My plan is to head over in May/June and home for Christmas for a week or 2 so I'll probably book flights around that scenario

Jeez man you be sorted i will only have about 5k but as i said earlier i am going work straight away and wont be drinking or going out till i get sum thing even if its only a job that covers the cost of my living till i get a better job.
    Good man heading Calgary myself same as wasterEX seems few of us going there:)

Ah now that is the 'plan' I haven't a cent to my name at the moment, but I am looking at going after Christmas next year probably (unless I manage to get the funds together quicker like). But yea I wont be partyin or much until I secure employment. I ain't wasting my money :)
    @H

I think the max you can book in advance is 330 days. Id probably book for 6 months in advance and see how it goes, probably better to ask people who have done it though, I'm pretty much guessing to be honest.

My plan is to head over in May/June and home for Christmas for a week or 2 so I'll probably book flights around that scenario

Ah see that makes somewhat of sense :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Good man heading Calgary myself same as wasterEX seems few of us going there

5k is plenty man you'll be flying. Calgary's where its at :cool:
    hdowney wrote: »
    I have no idea what a sinp is!!! Which is weird I thought I knew everything!

Waiting on the IEC to open up again and I am going for it. I am so scurred though. Like I have this mentality (stemming from not having money growing up) where I buy something or do something that costs money and then feel guilty afterward. Only thing here is I am panicing and feeling guilty and I haven't left yet. It is such a big commitment and a decent chunk of change needed and I worry I'll fail, like end up no job, no money, homeless and no way home and will have wasted everything. I know it is completely irrational but...

I think there'd be something wrong with someone if they didn't feel that way/think like that. Its a big deal moving to another country and one of the reasons I did was to see if I could. To say I was bricking it before I came is an understatement but now I'm just over 2 months in and wonder why I ever worried :rolleyes:

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    5k is plenty man you'll be flying. Calgary's where its at :cool:

I think there'd be something wrong with someone if they didn't feel that way/think like that. Its a big deal moving to another country and one of the reasons I did was to see if I could. To say I was bricking it before I came is an understatement but now I'm just over 2 months in and wonder why I ever worried :rolleyes:

I know I'd say I'll be the same when I get there and get into it, but just every so often in the midst of the excitement of it I get a little bit of panic.

Do you mind me asking have you found yerself work in Calgary? And even nosier in which industry/area :) Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Anyone here up in Blue Mountain?

I know I'd say I'll be the same when I get there and get into it, but just every so often in the midst of the excitement of it I get a little bit of panic.

Do you mind me asking have you found yerself work in Calgary? And even nosier in which industry/area :) Cheers

Oh yeh I had sleepless nights before coming and even after arriving, the plane ride over is an interesting one, 9 hours of thinking 'oh sh*t, what am I doing?' and 2 of watching 'How to Train Your Dragon'.

Yeh it took me about 2 weeks to find a job bartending here, I had 4 years experience and did a hospitality course in DIT before coming. My gf is an engineer which is why we chose to come here, she was also working within 2 weeks but not in engineering

Oh yeh I had sleepless nights before coming and even after arriving, the plane ride over is an interesting one, 9 hours of thinking 'oh sh*t, what am I doing?' and 2 of watching 'How to Train Your Dragon'.

Yeh it took me about 2 weeks to find a job bartending here, I had 4 years experience and did a hospitality course in DIT before coming. My gf is an engineer which is why we chose to come here, she was also working within 2 weeks but not in engineering

Hehe I doubt it'l be How To Train Your Dragon I'll be watching!!! But glad to know it isn't a me thing and others feel the same.

I have childcare, but I won't be going that route cos I am not getting the health test before I come over - right this min I don't think the results would be fantastic, but by the time I am set to come they'd be grand, but since you need the test this end of the time..... I also have Some IT style qualies (nothing major so far, just level 5's over here in payroll and accounts and a level six in computer apps) and hope to have done the CompTIA A+ which is 'apparantely' world recongised. Experience is a little lacking tbh, getting people to hire you ain't so great this neck of the woods :( As for my hospitality qual.... that went downhill. I was in Tallaght studying to be a Chef but had to drop out cos I got really sick and they don't let you into the kitchens (CA!) when sick. So I don't think that'l be any use :(

Hehe I doubt it'l be How To Train Your Dragon I'll be watching!!! But glad to know it isn't a me thing and others feel the same.

I have childcare, but I won't be going that route cos I am not getting the health test before I come over - right this min I don't think the results would be fantastic, but by the time I am set to come they'd be grand, but since you need the test this end of the time..... I also have Some IT style qualies (nothing major so far, just level 5's over here in payroll and accounts and a level six in computer apps) and hope to have done the CompTIA A+ which is 'apparantely' world recongised. Experience is a little lacking tbh, getting people to hire you ain't so great this neck of the woods :( As for my hospitality qual.... that went downhill. I was in Tallaght studying to be a Chef but had to drop out cos I got really sick and they don't let you into the kitchens (CA!) when sick. So I don't think that'l be any use :(
    I've done one or two kitchen and larder modules in DIT, extremely limited and basic kitchen skills and I managed to get interviews here for trainee and line cook positions. Decided to stick with what I know but just pointing out that if you want to try something you've a much better chance of doing it here

I've done one or two kitchen and larder modules in DIT, extremely limited and basic kitchen skills and I managed to get interviews here for trainee and line cook positions. Decided to stick with what I know but just pointing out that if you want to try something you've a much better chance of doing it here

I'm just wondering would I get a bar job or the like, I think I'd rather that than shop work, although obviously I'll take anything to start :)

Have to say you were lucky, you and your gf going over as a team, that had to have helped the what if nerves. Me, I'm going solo cos no-one here wants to come :/

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

I'm going solo cos no-one here wants to come :/

why dont u find someone who is in the same boat as u, as in going solo and then ye could travel together and figure out stuff together.

iv traveled to different places before but i would never go somewhere on my own cause its so helpful to have someone to help u out. but thats just me! :)

media101 wrote: »
    why dont u find someone who is in the same boat as u, as in going solo and then ye could travel together and figure out stuff together.

iv traveled to different places before but i would never go somewhere on my own cause its so helpful to have someone to help u out. but thats just me! :)

Yup I do be keeping my eye out on here for people going solo who might want others to meet up with and travel with :) So I shall continue to do so. But trying to get someone with the same basic travel plans as yourself can be tricky - time of year you want/need to leave, part of canada you want to go to etc!

Myself and wasterex are planning on heading same time as soon as visas are got so hoping April:) going Calgary more then welcome to head with us or anyone else for that matter were in our 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

who ever wants to come with me and friend:
    plan is ... calgary, in october, we are both in mid 20's

• Advertisement

i hope to be there a few months by then but deffo will meet up for a few scoops etc.:)

Advertisement