Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada eh,so who is going? Where are you/ will you be?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

Hi all, I'm looking to go to Calgary just waiting on the visas to come out, going solo myself probably go as early as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭The_Poznan

Howye lads/lassies

Im tipping off solo too not certain where yet no definite plan concentrating on getting the Visa sorted first. Lots seem to be heading Calgary route I often wonder have I missed the boat on these popular places and instead just find a niche place to settle with better opportunities!

Its just so hard to know like...Id be looking for a purchasing/supply chain role but much like yourselves id throw meself into anything starting off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I'm not sure exactly when ill b heading over. I'll be applying for the visa as soon as it opens (and as soon as my passport arrives!) But o need to save money before I head so it will be as soon as I have the funds together. Don't wanna head with little or it could spell disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Good man gary seems a few of us tipping to Calgary hoping to go as soon as me visas granted hope i get it:)

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Good man gary seems a few of us tipping to Calgary hoping to go as soon as me visas granted hope i get it:)

Calgary looks like the place to be, only downside is the winter time but I suppose its better than having no job here :)

• Advertisement

yea fact April should be coming right but with the odd chance of snow/freezing conditions:). but the summer should be mighty and the Calgary stampede looks unreal:D

yea fact April should be coming right but with the odd chance of snow/freezing conditions:). but the summer should be mighty and the Calgary stampede looks unreal:D

I was thinking of heading in April if visa goes smoothly, the summers should be good there, I checked out some videos of Calgary on youtube it looks like a cool city, if only the visas be released soon :)

Yea mate i am visa pending to April would be grand for me i am hoping to head within 2 weeks of getting it(if i do)
    what you hoping to work at?

Yea mate i am visa pending to April would be grand for me i am hoping to head within 2 weeks of getting it(if i do)
    what you hoping to work at?

I looking for something in the science/government area but would be willing to work in other areas in the meantime retail etc, what about yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

hdowney wrote: »
    I'm just wondering would I get a bar job or the like, I think I'd rather that than shop work, although obviously I'll take anything to start :)

Have to say you were lucky, you and your gf going over as a team, that had to have helped the what if nerves. Me, I'm going solo cos no-one here wants to come :/

Yeh you've a very good chance of getting a job in a bar, I put up along post about it a few days ago, heres a link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82638665&postcount=20

I know it is great to have someone here, we knew it would make or break us aswell and we've just been loving it.
    i hope to be there a few months by then but deffo will meet up for a few scoops etc.:)

I'm in ;), I know on other boards forums they set up a night out every once in awhile through it, we could probably do a 'Canada Beers: Calgary' night, get some faces to some names etc. would be a good laugh.
    gary27 wrote: »
    Calgary looks like the place to be, only downside is the winter time but I suppose its better than having no job here :)

I'm enjoying the winter here, its not that bad to be fair. Its not wet or windy and you certainly don't feel the cold the same as at home, no damp, blustery, miserable days. It has been snowing the last 3 days though its really starting to build up. I still go running though, go ice skating on the out door rinks in the community centre etc. You just buy a thermal base layer, then layer a couple of jumpers/hoodies and pop somethjing like this http://www.discountapexbionic.com/images/North%20Face%20Mens%20Apex%20Bionic%20Jackets/North_Face_Apex-Bionic_Men_Jackets_TNF_Black.jpg on top and your away.

A decent pair of boots would be great too (not Timberlands or anything the snow destroys your shoes).

• Advertisement

Oddly (as I am sat here with the hoodie up, a scarf round my neck a snuggie and the fire blazing!!!! and I am STILL freezing!) the winters appeal to me. Snow, proper winter like, instead of the crap we get here!

Hahah true i cant wait for it to be -24 working outside :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Hahah true i cant wait for it to be -24 working outside :)
    Oh yeh forgot about that lol good luck ;)

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Oh yeh forgot about that lol good luck ;)

Yea I suppose if we were looking at/worked in outdoor jobs the winter wouldn't be so cool. I take it it hasn't proper 'blizzard' yet over there, the kinda one where your stuck either inside your home or your work premises?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Anyone know what Toronto is like for jobs in Media/Music/Events industry? Aim is to get some sort of job in the entertainment field eventually . I dont expect to get over their and get my dream job asap , so im willing to take a job in a bar etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Passports applied for and letter sent off to the Gardaí. Just waiting on the IEC to open now. :cool:
    Cant wait to head over. Myself and the missus are heading to Calgary. Seems theres gonna be a fair few headin that direction! We should defo arrange a meetup over there.

BTW whats everyone doing about health insurance? Very few places do it for 2 years and afaik your work permit is only valid for as long as you have insurance.

7ofBrian wrote: »
    Passports applied for and letter sent off to the Gardaí. Just waiting on the IEC to open now. :cool:
    Cant wait to head over. Myself and the missus are heading to Calgary. Seems theres gonna be a fair few headin that direction! We should defo arrange a meetup over there.

BTW whats everyone doing about health insurance? Very few places do it for 2 years and afaik your work permit is only valid for as long as you have insurance.

In the Canada 2013 megathread someone posted a link to a backpacker ins company that do the two years for under €300 if that helps.

Also sent off for my passport and garda cert :)

Yea mate heading Calgary aswell and also wasterEX is to and i no that there's 2 or 3 others who are regular posters on here in Calgary too.
    Deffo should meet up and have a few scoops:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Cheers Helen, You're a star!:D

Brilliant news taken from the website

International Experience Canada 2013 update:
    International Experience Canada’s (IEC’s) application process for 2013 will be entirely online. It will be split into two stages:

program eligibility assessment (using a IEC-Kompass account); and
    work permit assessment (using a MyCIC account).
    When you have successfully completed the first stage using your IEC-Kompass account, you will receive a letter from Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada indicating conditional acceptance to the IEC program. You will then be asked to upload a “Conditional acceptance letter” to your MyCIC account in order for Citizenship and Immigration Canada to complete the second stage of the application process.

Please note that the 2013 IEC initiative has not yet opened for applications. It will open before February 1, 2013, and more information on the online process will be made available on this website. Stay tuned!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Anyone 30+ applying? I'm 35!!! JUST about in there with a chance....

Sorry cant help am 23:o

Cripes you are only young! I'm 27 atm but will be 28 heading to Can

Great ta be young:)
    Not that 27 isn't :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Ill be 25 by the time i get over

Great ta be young:)
    Not that 27 isn't :P

Cheeky pup!

You are fierce brave heading over on yer own (as am I obvs, but there is no way I'da been mature enough myself to have done it at your age). I am guessing you are a fierce outgoing person?

Ah sure i would like to think i am:p i have been working since i was 16 some weeks 80 hours a week:) was made redundant 2 months ago so there's not really here for me. i don't fancy oz or nz so its canada for me cant wait now to get over and get working i don't drink much now or don't smoke now (3 weeks off after smoking 30 a day for 5 years:o)so i am not gonna get caught up in that party lifestyle:)

Yea I am not a partyer either, don't mind glass or two of wine, but I am not the 'go out to get drunk' type, never have been. Don't smoke either so that's grand. For me it's as you say, nothing here. I qualified at 19 as a Childcare provider, but I REALLY don't wanna do anything like that anymore. I also have a diploma in computer applications (word and the likes!) a level 5 in payroll and should be doing a level 5 in accounts any day now. I am also hopeful to get on a course in March (my name is down) to do CompTIA which is like IT stuff, which I hope will help secure me employment. I was in college in 2011 studying Culinary Arts (to be a chef) but I got really sick, and they won't let you into the kitchens sick and it was CA so I was screwed. Doubt that'l help me secure any work but ya never know.

But yea trying to get a job here is like pulling teeth. None of the supermarkets are hiring (I'd even work there atm) and everywhere else is looking for several years experience, even bar work!!! I like the idea of NZ as a place to go, but prolly only for a long holiday, not long term, and Aus does not appeal at all. Canada ticks the boxes (as does the US, I have my name in to the lottery also!). So fingers crossed.

What do you work at if ya don't mind me asking?

Yea canada a great option i work in construction work as an electrician ( but have driven diggers,dumpers etc) done what ever it takes to have work and not be unemployed but sadly there's just nothing now. I cant even get small jobs wiring sheds or anything anymore. yea my bro went to nz when he was 20 he had just qualified as a plasterer he loved it but that was more of a backpacker Holiday:).. same ere go to a few pubs and have couple pints and listen to good music is what i like.:). yea i no what you mean i applied for a few jobs like that and they all wanted experience in retail etc..:(
    Cant wait to get over to a new country and make hopefully good money and just have a laugh:) i no wat ya mean about america i spent a summer in New York was living in Queens and use to go out to montauk a fair bit amazing it was:). hope Canada like that.:)

• Advertisement

Yea I think Canada will have some American-ness to it (it is part of North America (the continent) after all, but will deffo have it's own identity, which is good. I wonder how much Britishness it'l have - like William visited there last year I think it was and stuff, so I wonder how much Britishness also influences their identity. But it should be a good mix.

I hope I am lucky to find work and somewhere to live within a decent timeframe, the longer it takes the more disheartening it'l get I am sure!! I haven't the foggiest where or what I am looking for at the mo. With accom, there are so many sites, but knowing what's what, if utilities are included, furnished or not is quite difficult. I'll keep looking but it'l prob be easier when I am there in person. As for work, I don't know what I am meant to put in the search fields on sites. Like I don't know what to call myself - what type of work is it I am looking for, what is it I can/will be able to do!!! So confusing!!!! Else I am thick and missing something simple in front my face entirely!!!!

Advertisement