Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada eh,so who is going? Where are you/ will you be?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

I have similar opinions as the last two posters, want to find a job and not really into the party lifestyle don't get me wrong who doesn't like a few drinks for enjoyment.
    @hdowney: I also applied for the green card lottery, was in san francisco a few years back great city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Yea i no what ya mean its hard to get everything sorted i have kind of wrote down on a page what i have to do when i first get there like get sin number bank accc transfer money etc or else i will forget i always like to be as prepared as i can be i just hope i don't mess up this visa application :/ . i also have a few job contacts as well and areas written down where i would like to live basically trying to make the process as easy as i can for myself i am not at much these days so that's when i spend my time looking up stuff. just cant wait to hit Calgary now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Yea i no what ya mean its hard to get everything sorted i have kind of wrote down on a page what i have to do when i first get there like get sin number bank accc transfer money etc or else i will forget i always like to be as prepared as i can be i just hope i don't mess up this visa application :/ . i also have a few job contacts as well and areas written down where i would like to live basically trying to make the process as easy as i can for myself i am not at much these days so that's when i spend my time looking up stuff. just cant wait to hit Calgary now:)

Yea I am a very organised person. I like to plan for every eventuality (which is not to say I can't be spontaneous and just have fun, but for big things like this tis best to be prepared!) I have been planning since about this time last year!!! Although unfortunately not saving, as I had so many things demand my money last year. This year it'l be a tough my money is spoken for! I'd be a list maker too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

'ello all!

I've finally decided to make the move to Canadia (I'm lucky enough to be a dual citizen already, and I spent the summer in Vancouver in 2005)!

Planning a mammoth trip through the US & Canada, which will culminate in Vancouver, where I intend to stay indefinitely (primarily looking for work in the film/television industry in a city I already love and have been waiting so long to go back to).

Part of my initial trip will involve Toronto (where I have family) and Montreal - any advice on enjoying Montreal for a few days?

Anyway, if anyone has any questions regarding Vancouver (the only place in Canada I've already been), I'd be more than happy to help where I can..!

It's funny, since I made The Decision to go, I've started to see Dublin in a totally different light, and keep mentally focusing on everything I'm going to miss. I have to keep reminding myself not to chicken out and not to play it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen and he's from Kingston, Ontario! His mother lives there with her new husband. My boyfriend went over on the 20th of October and I'm hoping to go as soon as I get sorted really. :D Had hoped to go Feb/March but since the IEC thing isn't open yet that ain't gonna happen! Not sure if we will stay in Kingston or go somewhere else when I arrive! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen and he's from Kingston, Ontario! His mother lives there with her new husband. My boyfriend went over on the 20th of October and I'm hoping to go as soon as I get sorted really. :D Had hoped to go Feb/March but since the IEC thing isn't open yet that ain't gonna happen! Not sure if we will stay in Kingston or go somewhere else when I arrive! :D

Sure get yerselves married and you won't need to worry about that :P

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Sure get yerselves married and you won't need to worry about that :P

I pray i can find a Canadian girl exactly for that reason:rolleyes:;) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Heading to toronto on the 8th May, plan to stay there for a few months until I get the electrical license and them ill probably head to Calgary. Want to go to Alberta first but dont have enough work experience there to register as an electrician:( so hoperfully get it in ontario and then head over.

I put down BC on my Kompass form so as it stands looking to head into Vancouver. Ideas might change mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I really hope they don't hold you exactly to your port of entry on the application and its more for a guide for them, I put down Ontario as its Toronto I'll most likely head for, but Calgary looks nice as well. If you are held to it then oh well, fly into Toronto and get a train to Calgary or whatever so its not the end of the world, Canada is gorgeous so it'd be nice to see it out a train or bus window. I was there a few years ago and drove from Toronto to Detroit, the Canadian side of the border is much nicer.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    I really hope they don't hold you exactly to your port of entry on the application and its more for a guide for them, I put down Ontario as its Toronto I'll most likely head for, but Calgary looks nice as well. If you are held to it then oh well, fly into Toronto and get a train to Calgary or whatever so its not the end of the world, Canada is gorgeous so it'd be nice to see it out a train or bus window. I was there a few years ago and drove from Toronto to Detroit, the Canadian side of the border is much nicer.

I feel the same way. I really hope they don't hold us to it. I am still completely torn between Van and Calgary. I put down BC for my port of entry but since it'l be ages before I am going I really don't know where I wanna enter. I am going to be doing so much research and job search between now and then that there is no guarantee I will wanna enter BC. I agree it might be nice to see Canada by train and If we HAVE to enter at the port on our Kompass then tough, I'll have to make my way to wherever, but I can see that not being cheap and I'd rather not have something like that eat into my savings if possible.

Those of you who enter Canada before me can tell me if they hold you to the port on your Kompass.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I had thought about Vancouver but Toronto is so much closer, VC is like flying to Canada then the same distance again, whereas Toronto is on the same side of the States as NY and Chicago etc so they're short flights, Going to New York for a weekend? yes please.

Way I look at it after someone pointed out the distance is this, Toronto is what, 7-8 hr flight? depending on where you're stopping over, I spend longer in work every day.

krudler wrote: »
    I had thought about Vancouver but Toronto is so much closer, VC is like flying to Canada then the same distance again, whereas Toronto is on the same side of the States as NY and Chicago etc so they're short flights, Going to New York for a weekend? yes please.

Way I look at it after someone pointed out the distance is this, Toronto is what, 7-8 hr flight? depending on where you're stopping over, I spend longer in work every day.

And then there is that. Toronto is no further than NY which was grand for me. And the time difference isn't so bad, only 5hrs. I'd actually be able to have conversations with the mammy. Trying to do it from Van will be a complete pain. GAH I don't know where I wanna go.

I think of the three Van is supposed to be the most expensive, followed by Toronto and then Calgary the cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Karlos_Sparky

So a quick update .... We are flying to SK on Tuesday week ! Squeaky bum time !

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

Be sure to keep us thoroughly updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Where in Sk you heading?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Karlos_Sparky

Where in Sk you heading?
    Were going to Regina

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Were going to Regina

We are 270 kms north of you in Melfort. Regina looks nice anyway was through there once on the way to the border

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Calgary August 2013 visa permitting.

Have a ****tonne of Calgarian friends from travelling Asia for a year so am very excited to get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭evan2509

Whats the general consensus about Calgary? Havnt decided where to go yet but thinking about here. Will be going on my own possibly so hopefully meet some Irish over there.

• Advertisement

great spot man good nightlife plenty of jobs its a good base to be in alberta with it being home to nearly all of the oil companys there..heading there myself cant wait heading solo too:D

great spot man good nightlife plenty of jobs its a good base to be in alberta with it being home to nearly all of the oil companys there..heading there myself cant wait heading solo too:D

Have you been mate? A job is what im worried about. Even a bar job would keep me going till i get something, wont be going with a million euros either, prob 4-5grand euros so hope pick up something good quickly!

no mate but have heard great things and am in contact with a few. it has been said before on here if you cant get a job in 2 days in Calgary your not looking:D haha.. ha i am in the same boat bud i will have less only have 4k which will be 5k$ that will be enough as long as ya live frugal and get a job asap you will be grand. i am heading round end of march really as soon as i get the visa:D

Change of plan, could be heading to Calgary! Put my port of entry as Ontario... whoops sure I'll worry bout that another time!

no mate but have heard great things and am in contact with a few. it has been said before on here if you cant get a job in 2 days in Calgary your not looking:D haha.. ha i am in the same boat bud i will have less only have 4k which will be 5k$ that will be enough as long as ya live frugal and get a job asap you will be grand. i am heading round end of march really as soon as i get the visa:D

Good stuff mate that sounds good. A job in two days would be a gift from heaven. Ya would be hard set to get one in a year here! Done a bit of looking up and Calgary looks sweet. Good to see your confident on getting the Visa anyway!

haha check out the roadhouse Calgary what a spot:D ah well sure as long as the details we put in for the iec dates match the cv there's no other way could be declined visa.:D

Sparkle i dont think it really matters what has changed your mind:P

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

haha check out the roadhouse Calgary what a spot:D ah well sure as long as the details we put in for the iec dates match the cv there's no other way could be declined visa.:D

In the IMM1295E form they for employment history for the last 10 years but only provide 3 parts? just curious how that will work if you have more than 3 previous jobs in the last 10 years.

well i am only a youngen so i have wrote down all my employment since finishing school has only been 2 employers and 5 years so i don't know

My boyfriend has a couple of job offers! Better than what he's done interviews for in ON! But sure who knows where I'll end up :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

JustRoss23's canadian visa is proudly sponsored by "Roadhouse Calgary" :p

Advertisement