Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada eh,so who is going? Where are you/ will you be?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

evan2509 wrote: »
    What? You cant just go up to the bar and order? Jesus that will be a serious change!!

Anywhere I've been in Canada I always went to the bar. Of course people would come over and take drink orders, but that happens all over Dublin too..!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭evan2509

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    Most places I was in took your order at a table and then the waitress would bring it down to you! And then you pay the bill at the end!

Jesus thats different. What about a nightclub like? Surely its a free for all there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

That's no fun, the journey to the bar is a good moment tbh...and watching the bartender pull your pint is like being at the cinema ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LostOneHelpMe

WasterEx wrote: »
    That's no fun, the journey to the bar is a good moment tbh...and watching the bartender pull your pint is like being at the cinema ffs

We are gonna be the proper tourists hahahaha ( ohoh here come the Irish again) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Triple vodka and red bull 7 $ how would ya be well whay:D

• Advertisement

WasterEx wrote: »

To be fair that is a valid point. If your standing in the deepest darkest corner of the nightclub, the journey to the bar is one you look foward to. Opens countless possibilities!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Jesus thats different. What about a nightclub like? Surely its a free for all there!!

We were in one place at 9pm and they took our orders at the table! We went to a few other places and then came back at like 1am and you had to q at the bar then! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Panthro wrote: »
    Don't talk to me about the table service shyte they go on with over here. The last night the girl came over, fair enough was being sound with us, having the craic. When our pitcher was nearing empty she came back, sat down with us and was chatting away goodo for about 5mins until "hey guys, I'm going to the bar, you want me to get you another pitcher?!"..
    It was the fake with a side order of fake to be honest.
    Oh how I miss being able to go up and order your own pint. (grouch grouch grouch):D
    Yeh its not as bad as the American 'have a nice day' ****e, which is just aswell because I couldn't handle that. We're specifically told not to do the 'Hi, I'm Tammy and I'll be your server' spiel, they want personality whatever that means, so I say 'hows it going' and call everyone 'buddy' or 'gents' and crack jokes that noone gets :D

Depending on the place your in, remember most of these places are actually restaurants with a bar in them. If you want to go to the bar feel free to, the waitress might give you some looks but who gives a ****, she only wanted you for your money.
    JustRoss23 wrote: »
    does tipping go on over there i cant imagine shes dressing like that to impress her mother haha. what kinda mull would one be expected to pay? say i was to order 5 pints and she brought them over how much of a tip would she be expecting?:P

Haha well i think you have to have a good apperance or be able to talk ****e:P if you are either you would probably get a job in a pub? so hopefully we will pass for either:D

Tipping is more common then at home, bartenders and waitresses should be tipped if their doing their job well. Canadians tip 10% for decent service, 15% for very good service and 20% for excellant service, for rudeness etc don't tip a penny. Don't be shy about how much or little you decide to tip, tbh I can usually make a decent guess how much of a tip I'll get. Its related directly to how much attention I've paid them. Thats when theres customers sitting at the bar, eating and drinking etc. When its busy, a dollar a drink is common, people who don't tip get ignored, make a point of throwing $5 into the tip jar at the start of the night and the bartenders will look after you, don't give anything for the next few rounds, if they're still being nice throw a little more in. Again if their rude, give nothing, if they go the extra mile and mix you some crazy drink or recommend you something you like based on the other stuff you drink, give a little more. If your clever it won't cost a **** load to keep everyone happy.
    People are soo shallow:o its not all about looks a girl has to be easy and Just real fun to get on hmmm;)

fixed your post
    Yea lad from people describing it on here you have too it seems martyn and a few others that are there should be able to clear it up:D

See above
    What? You cant just go up to the bar and order? Jesus that will be a serious change!!

Depends on the bar, the time of day, the day of the week. Remember alot of bars are actually restaurants with big bars in them, food is a much bigger thing in the industry here then at home, they don't want a load of drunk paddies milling around.
    i think its frowned upon haha think you sit at your table and wait for them to serve you:D haha
    Since when do we as a nation care being frowned upon ;)

Yeh free for all, in the politest way possible, its not a melee of pushing and shoving like at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭green_dub_girl

Well for me I think it'll be Toronto or Calgary - all depends on what the job scene looks like in each place. Toronto is my first choice but as i work in the energy/environment sector Calgary may be more promising.

Either way I cannot wait for it though! Loving the thought of getting rid of all my baggage/belongings here and starting over somewhere different :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

Loving the thought of getting rid of all my baggage/belongings here and starting over somewhere different :D

oh no im not looking forward to parting from my stuff :( but ya really looking forward to canada

• Advertisement

media101 wrote: »

oh no im not looking forward to parting from my stuff :( but ya really looking forward to canada

Same as! It will be hard choosin what to bring! And I'll miss my cat like crazy!!

i will bring 5 of everything and buy the rest over there picked up a sales jacket now was happy out as april is still cold:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

media101 wrote: »
    sparkle_23 wrote: »
    Same as! It will be hard choosin what to bring! And I'll miss my cat like crazy!!
    i will bring 5 of everything and buy the rest over there picked up a sales jacket now was happy out as april is still cold:D

I am dreading the parting from my stuff. I LOVE my stuff. Choosing what to bring will kill me (and I am a pack the kitchen sink for a holiday kinda person so packing will be a NIGHTMARE!!!)

Don't me started on missing pets. I have three cats and two dogs I am leaving behind. The worse thing for me is my dogs arn't young. 13 and 11 this year, and my fear is of them dying whilst I am in Can

hdowney wrote: »

I am dreading the parting from my stuff. I LOVE my stuff. Choosing what to bring will kill me (and I am a pack the kitchen sink for a holiday kinda person so packing will be a NIGHTMARE!!!)

Don't me started on missing pets. I have three cats and two dogs I am leaving behind. The worse thing for me is my dogs arn't young. 13 and 11 this year, and my fear is of them dying whilst I am in Can

Same as I always bring way too much! And i keep thinkin of silly things! like "I'll have to bring my fave cup" My dog is 11 this year... Although my system has successfully got one of the cats to meow down the phone at me before!

It's horrible cause I'm so excited about goin but sad cause I'll miss the pets! My dad is always like "will ya not miss me?" But I can phone him or text him anytime! But not my dog or the cats!

hdowney wrote: »

Yous are all lucky enough, i'll have too leave my 4yr old son behind me thats gonna be a killer im dreadin it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Yous are all lucky enough, i'll have too leave my 4yr old son behind me thats gonna be a killer im dreadin it:(

Jesus. It is just you going or his mammy aswell? I don't want to speculate one way or the other but I am going to assume you are with his mammy (Sorry if I am wrong). Is there plans for them to join you when you are settled/have a job etc. Hope you get to see him asap

the op is going solo i think. it will be tough bud ya gotta do whats gotta be done my bro is doing it for a few years in Africa now try to get yourself the handiest job like in the oil sands 4/4 as you will be able to come home on your 4 weeks off. its tough bud but with skype it makes it easier or so he says anyway.

I'm not back from Australia a wet week so I havnt accumulated much sh**e here yet! Luckily enough. Anything that I have that's worth keeping will fit in under 30kgs so should be away with it!

Thanks lads , naw me and his Mammy are finished long ago but i have him half the week she has him the other half. And he's why ive chose Canada and not Oz so i can get home to see him few times a year! I dont wanna leave like but im 26 and not gettin any younger and there is **** all work here!! He's only reason i neva left years ago. Yeah Oil sands is where i wanna be !

yea fact lad you should be sorted then my bros working in Africa and hes home alot too if you can get the 4/4 rotation you will be grand:D.

• Advertisement

Even I only got a week off thats grand less than a days travel home like so its good, anyway havent even got a visa yet but really hope i get one

Even I only got a week off thats grand less than a days travel home like so its good, anyway havent even got a visa yet but really hope i get one

You will man just take your time with the application. I used to know a fella in OZ who was doin 4/1 rotation and used to fly home to the missus and two kids for the week every week he had off #commitment!

yea thats a fact lad be grand. ah sure were all the same we surely will doh:D

You will man just take your time with the application. I used to know a fella in OZ who was doin 4/1 rotation and used to fly home to the missus and two kids for the week every week he had off #commitment!

****!! That is commitment fair play t him hi! Oz too expensive two my mates flew home last week for 4days cos of an emergency cost them $9000!!

****!! That is commitment fair play t him hi! Oz too expensive two my mates flew home last week for 4days cos of an emergency cost them $9000!!

Ah it's sick lad, serious flying too to get home like. I came back a few months ago and cost me 2000€ one way. Canada is the way foward!

Ah it's sick lad, serious flying too to get home like. I came back a few months ago and cost me 2000€ one way. Canada is the way foward!

Canada is the new OZ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭makita

on stage 2 when filling out the family information form how did ye manage to upload it when you can't save information typed into it? i downloaded it to my desktop but still can't save the info then, i done the same with the other form but could save it and uploaded it then is this the right way to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Its not cheap to get home from Calgary, we got some bad news ourselves there and we could only afford to send 1 of us so the gf went, last minute airfares for us both would have been over 3000, ok its not 9000 but its a fair lump when we're just getting established. Between that and being out a week or more wages I just couldn't afford it at the moment, just a heads up to have your flights booked early.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Decided to go for Calgary myself. Can't wait. Does anyone know what the chances are of a tourist visa to the states while in Canada? Would love to do a road trip to Vegas at some point!

• Advertisement

Martyn1989 wrote: »

Its not cheap to get home from Calgary, we got some bad news ourselves there and we could only afford to send 1 of us so the gf went, last minute airfares for us both would have been over 3000, ok its not 9000 but its a fair lump when we're just getting established. Between that and being out a week or more wages I just couldn't afford it at the moment, just a heads up to have your flights booked early.

Your 100% there, I checked flights to Calgary and they were not cheap at all like..

Advertisement