Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet for xbox live

Options
  • 05-09-2012 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/student/
    anybody know what the wireless wifi broadband would be like and if itd be good enough to play on xbox live and if itd be compatible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

It would work, depends on your area as to how well it would work though, its a bit hit and miss mobile broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Meesared wrote: »
    It would work, depends on your area as to how well it would work though, its a bit hit and miss mobile broadband

any idea what itd be like in castletroy limerick near ul?

Mind me asking what makes it mifi and not full broadband? At home ive got 12mb max but that O2 is telling me 21 is the max for that so wondering how would it differ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

TheGunns wrote: »
    http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/student/
    anybody know what the wireless wifi broadband would be like and if itd be good enough to play on xbox live and if itd be compatible?

Pretty **** tbh, the ping times will be way too high and you'll lag like fcuk..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Do you have O2 at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

IMO I wouldn't use mobile broadband for XBL in a million years. Too unreliable.

I assume you're moving to Castletroy for college? If you're living with a bunch of people you'd be as well off to try and get UPC between ye for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    IMO I wouldn't use mobile broadband for XBL in a million years. Too unreliable.

I assume you're moving to Castletroy for college? If you're living with a bunch of people you'd be as well off to try and get UPC between ye for the year.

Bit of an odd situation as I'm moving out for college but to my old house and living on my own. So UPC or any others really are out of my price range.
    Suppose I wont know what its like until I try it really as people tend to have had very different experiences with it from what I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

TheGunns wrote: »
    Bit of an odd situation as I'm moving out for college but to my old house and living on my own. So UPC or any others really are out of my price range.
    Suppose I wont know what its like until I try it really as people tend to have had very different experiences with it from what I've heard.

Others might be out of your price range but you would be absolutely wasting money on the o2 solution. How well do you know the neighbors ? Maybe work out something if they have a wireless connection and its close enough for you to connect to reliably?

A fixed line broad band package costs around 40-45 a month the o2 one about 10 quid??? Drink a few less pints at student nights out in the months to cover it, your liver and xbox will thank you for it :D

/ Counts my self luck I'm not s student with the cost of living these days :o In my day .......... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I wouldn't lock yourself into any contract if I were you OP.

Maybe talk to O2 to get a prepay modem from them, then you can top it up by a tenner to test the speeds, and if they're fast enough for gaming then you can sign up for the monthly thing.

Failing that, do you know anyone on O2 at the moment whose modem you could borrow?

Plus another thing to be wary of, what's the cap on the plan you're looking at? Because XBL might eat up a fair chunk of it, and if you're not constantly keeping an eye on it you could end up going over the limit and be charged an exhorbitant amount of money which would pay for UPC for half a year.

Advertisement