Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owen and Adam

• 05-09-2012 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭

Will the addition of Owen and Adam make Stoke easier on the eye ?

Palios failed to adapt !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The only thing that would make Stoke easier on the eye, Arsenal wrapped up

1408210.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

someone ban thedoc please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Owen is unlikely to feature enough to know, Adam will probably be told to launch one on to Crouchy's bonce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Owen won't make much of a difference as he'll rarely play. He'll probably end up suffering a serious neck injury looking up in at the clouds for the ball. All Adam can do is take the odd good set piece and foul, so he should fit right in.

Not even Ronaldo and Messi could make Stoke more attractive on the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Paully D wrote: »
    Owen won't make much of a difference as he'll rarely play. He'll probably end up suffering a serious neck injury looking up in at the clouds for the ball. All Adam can do is take the odd good set piece and foul, so he should fit right in.

Spot on. Stoke RFC play to their "strengths", which is to lump the ball high into the box as soon as its close enough to do that, and hack the opposition if they have the cheek to try pass it around. They have a clueless troll of a manager who hasn't a clue how to play the game any other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

In a word? No.

Charlie Adam is the prototypical Stoke player. Loves a meaty challenge, isn't afraid to chop down a star player or two, and has an absolutely beautiful delivery from set-pieces. He will make them better, but not more attractive.

Michael Owen, I would be shocked if he played in 15 games. Even if he does, he is not really a Stoke player the way John Walters is for example, Owen can't get stuck in the way he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

keano_afc wrote: »
    Spot on. Stoke RFC play to their "strengths", which is to lump the ball high into the box as soon as its close enough to do that, and hack the opposition if they have the cheek to try pass it around. They have a clueless troll of a manager who hasn't a clue how to play the game any other way.
    Stoke are alot better than that, and its just a typical Arsenal fan response to sum it up as basic as that. They've come along way in both progression and style under Pulis and are far from the mere hoofmerchants they started out in the Premiership as.

CSF wrote: »
    Stoke are alot better than that, and its just a typical Arsenal fan response to sum it up as basic as that. They've come along way in both progression and style under Pulis and are far from the mere hoofmerchants they started out in the Premiership as.

Last season they had the lowest average percentage of possession in the league at 28%. They averaged 2 shots on goal per game. Their fans at the Britannia have to stoop as low as booing a player who nearly had his career ended by a thuggish centre half instead of watching the crap their team serve up.

Its not bias towards my team that has me describing Stoke like this. They are a horrible team and bring nothing to the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wouldn't mind them so much if their long ball tactics didn't come with the vicious tackling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

thebaz wrote: »
    Will the addition of Owen and Adam make Stoke easier on the eye ?

Palios failed to adapt !
    Whats Palios??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Last season they had the lowest average percentage of possession in the league at 28%. They averaged 2 shots on goal per game. Their fans at the Britannia have to stoop as low as booing a player who nearly had his career ended by a thuggish centre half instead of watching the crap their team serve up.

Its not bias towards my team that has me describing Stoke like this. They are a horrible team and bring nothing to the league.
    Was at the match where Ramsey was booed. Didn't think Stoke played particularly horrible football at all. They still are what they are, but they've improved along the way. The percentage possession isn't that strange for a bottom half team who don't keep the ball on the deck the way Swansea/Wigan etc would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Whats Palios??

Palacios, I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Ah Stoke are one of those teams that I love to hate, like a good villain in the WWE or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

Charlie Adam's corners are worth £10m £4m alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

player who nearly had his career ended by a thuggish centre half

That bit is pure sh1t. Shawcross is not a thug at all. It was an unfortunate challenge. Both went for the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Such a thug he was in tears he was so upset about what happened.

I like watching Stoke, Adam is a great buy for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Love how annoyed and high and mighty everyone gets at Stoke. Their style is crude but it works. If anyyhing its a sad indictment of PL defending in general that they continue to have the success theyve had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

curry-muff wrote: »
    Palacios, I presume.

cheers - Stoke remind me of the old Crazy gang of Wimbledon - as much as I hate this type of football ,it probably helps make the Premiership more exciting for the viewers, then again I'm glad there usually last on MOTD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Hopefully Adam can handle the step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

They have a clueless troll of a manager who hasn't a clue how to play the game any other way.
    Why would he play it any other way? It works.

Pulis is a great manager who has gradually turned Stoke into a very good professional outfit over the course of the last few years. Kind of the opposite of what Wenger has been doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Stoke are anti-football. What makes me sick about them is all the promoted teams managers who harp on about Stoke and Pulis being the "model example" that all promoted sides should aspire to. Long balls, crude challenges and general puke football - some aspiration that alright!

Swansea showed how it should be done, and you won't have a sore neck from looking into the clouds watching them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Paully D wrote: »

gnolan wrote: »
    Charlie Adam's corners are worth £10m £4m alone.

He can't even take a good corner anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

They are really not and it doesn't take bias to see it. And neither have they changed since they first came in.

You can say it works and there's twenty million different ways of playing football etc etc, but let's not kid ourselves about their particular way. Stuart Hall was great in his commentary/post match analysis of the Stoke Wigan game on Sports Report last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Stoke play football the way it should be played. It is a physical game played by men and therefore it should be approached in a tough, no nonsense fashion. They're good for the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

grenache wrote: »
    Stoke are anti-football. What makes me sick about them is all the promoted teams managers who harp on about Stoke and Pulis being the "model example" that all promoted sides should aspire to. Long balls, crude challenges and general puke football - some aspiration that alright!

Swansea showed how it should be done, and you won't have a sore neck from looking into the clouds watching them.

I never understood how people claim teams are anti-football.
    It just stinks of football snobbery.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Stoke play football the way it should be played. It is a physical game played by men and therefore it should be approached in a tough, no nonsense fashion. They're good for the league.
    If every team adopted Stoke's tactics, then I'd hate to see how PL teams would fare when it comes to Champions League time. Stoke and their ilk are one of the reasons the English national side are in their current state. Unable to keep the ball for longer than 12 seconds, the hit and hope option is used, or these aimless balls down the channels. Pointless and futile. Did you see Stoke in the Europa League? It was cringeworthy.
    MaceFace wrote: »
    I never understood how people claim teams are anti-football.
    It just stinks of football snobbery.
    well in that case I'd rather be a snob than subscribe to Stoke's "footballing" mantra any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Puke football?? LMFAO I would like to welcome pat spillane to the forum!!!

I'll take Spillane over Pulis any day of the week. Spillane has actually won things and is good at what he does.

I'd love to see some expansion on this to be honest.

The biggest folly in the EPL is that Stoke are the most physical team, that is bollox.

And it is this sort of thinking that had England, and the EPL, hit massive periods of being behind, and a generation of young, technically superior players be cast aside for technically inferior, but physically superior players.

Dont agree with this at all. While they are not anti-football, they play the sort of football you would more commonly find in a Sunday league. Its helter skelter. Play down the wings when you can to hit a cross, if a pass isn't 100% safe, hoof up front.

They have zero creativity and zero movement and transition up in the final third, which the modern game has been moving into for quiet a long time.

There is nothing commendable about a team who replace their inept football ability ( although at times slow flashes) with overly exuberant physicality that results in numerous injuries caused.

I'm a big fan of tackling, and like most don't want to see it moved out of the game. But at the same time, I don't enjoy watching overly physical teams. Newly promoted teams are approaching the league in a different way, by playing football and trying to score, unlike Stoke who employed gimmicky long ball tactics and physicality to stay up and become an EPL mainstayer.

It caught up with Bolton, and if Stoke continue this pretty poor developement in identity, they will find themselves relegated soon enough aswell.

• Advertisement

I'll take Spillane over Pulis any day of the week. Spillane has actually won things and is good at what he does.
    Spillane is forever extolling the virtues of direct long ball football too!!!

TheDoc wrote: »

I'd love to see some expansion on this to be honest.

The biggest folly in the EPL is that Stoke are the most physical team, that is bollox.

And it is this sort of thinking that had England, and the EPL, hit massive periods of being behind, and a generation of young, technically superior players be cast aside for technically inferior, but physically superior players.

Dont agree with this at all. While they are not anti-football, they play the sort of football you would more commonly find in a Sunday league. Its helter skelter. Play down the wings when you can to hit a cross, if a pass isn't 100% safe, hoof up front.

They have zero creativity and zero movement and transition up in the final third, which the modern game has been moving into for quiet a long time.

There is nothing commendable about a team who replace their inept football ability ( although at times slow flashes) with overly exuberant physicality that results in numerous injuries caused.

I'm a big fan of tackling, and like most don't want to see it moved out of the game. But at the same time, I don't enjoy watching overly physical teams. Newly promoted teams are approaching the league in a different way, by playing football and trying to score, unlike Stoke who employed gimmicky long ball tactics and physicality to stay up and become an EPL mainstayer.

It caught up with Bolton, and if Stoke continue this pretty poor developement in identity, they will find themselves relegated soon enough aswell.
    Teams that try to pass it about get relegated too.

Stokes tactics work fine. Theyve not really had sny relegation worries since they camr up. Theres no harm in them being in the league. Variety is good.

Love how annoyed and high and mighty everyone gets at Stoke. Their style is crude but it works. If anyyhing its a sad indictment of PL defending in general that they continue to have the success theyve had.

Really?

Stoke scored the lowest amount of goals in the league last season and where 7th in goals conceded. They scored no goals from their long throws.

Stoke was a shock to the system when they first arrived as people didn't know how to deal with this throwback style, when everyone else was moving into possession football.

I wouldnt call them a success really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Their tactics have been a success so far so I do not see why they should change just because they are not pleasant on the eye. However I think if Stoke do want to progress beyond mid table status they will have to adopt new tactics and possibly even a new manager. They have spent a fair bit of money so they have to start moving up the table and challenging for Europe on a regular basis.

Really?

Stoke scored the lowest amount of goals in the league last season and where 7th in goals conceded. They scored no goals from their long throws.

Stoke was a shock to the system when they first arrived as people didn't know how to deal with this throwback style, when everyone else was moving into possession football.

It is a lot easier to deal with aerial balls then rapid, interchanging movement.
    All this proves is that they must be developing their game somewhat. They survived comfirtably again last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

No wonder we rarely seem to agree anymore. I can’t imagine an outlook on football less aligned with my own.

I see football as a game of skill, albeit with a physical element. As with almost every pursuit in life I think we should encourage creativity, flair and expression.

Football isn’t a game just played by men. It’s played by men, women and children, under common rules. If I had a son or daughter I know which way I’d like them to learn the game. “No-nonsense” certainly wouldn’t be it.

It’s this kind of thinking imo that has British and Irish football lagging behind the rest of Europe. In truth, football in these parts has barely evolved since the 19th century.

Stoke are grand, they deserve what success they get, but, to paraphrase the great man, If they were playing in my back garden I’d draw the curtains.

• Advertisement

Really?

I wouldnt call them a success really...
    Finishing mid table consistently and the odd good long cup run is definitely success for a club with Stoke's recent history.

Stokes tactics work fine. Theyve not really had sny relegation worries since they camr up. Theres no harm in them being in the league. Variety is good.

Just playing devils advocate.

I remember I used to always consider Stoke and Bolton potential banana skins whenever we travelled to each respectively. Not anymore, I think the quality just prevails in the end. Added to the fact I think their physicality is at times over exagerated.

Just playing devils advocate.

I remember I used to always consider Stoke and Bolton potential banana skins whenever we travelled to each respectively. Not anymore, I think the quality just prevails in the end. Added to the fact I think their physicality is at times over exagerated.
    Its also worth noting Bolton only went down when they lost Sam and changed their style to a more passing game. Not saying thats why they went down but it does make your point about their direct style being found out a bit LOL. They were never really in any danger under Sam.

killwill wrote: »
    That bit is pure sh1t. Shawcross is not a thug at all. It was an unfortunate challenge. Both went for the ball.

Have you seen his tackles on Francis Jeffers and Adebayor? Check out the one on Adebayor, it was actually committed OFF the pitch. He's a thug.

Stoke are actually going backwards, they have spent huge money with very little return on average players. A lot of teams have worked them out and their overly physical approach is not nearly as effective as it was. And because they have no footballing ability, they are sliding down the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Have you seen his tackles on Francis Jeffers and Adebayor? Check out the one on Adebayor, it was actually committed OFF the pitch. He's a thug.

No I have not, nor have I ever heard anyone mention those tackles. Maybe you should link them? My point still stands either way. The tackle on ramsey was a fair tackle.
    Arsenal fans are also the only fans really to brand him a thug.

• Advertisement

killwill wrote: »
    No I have not, nor have I ever heard anyone mention those tackles. Maybe you should link them? My point still stands either way. The tackle on ramsey was a fair tackle.
    Arsenal fans are also the only fans really to brand him a thug.

Write up here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/mar/06/aaron-ramsey-broken-leg-ryan-shawcross

Cant search properly for vids as I'm in work, I'll try link to one later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'll admit I missed charlies blackpool days but lately his set pieces are stink. Corners rearely beat the first man and his frees outside the box end up in row z since our pre season in America. Nice left leg though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Write up here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/mar/06/aaron-ramsey-broken-leg-ryan-shawcross

Cant search properly for vids as I'm in work, I'll try link to one later.

Just playing Devil's advocate here, but Daire O'Briain is a massive arsenal fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Kind of the opposite of what Wenger has been doing.

Ya Wenger doesnt know what he's doin' :rolleyes:

Arsenal "only" finished 3rd last season and have had Champions League footbsll for the past 16 years or so.

And as for the Ramsey/Shawcross thing I dont believe for a second that He meant to break Ramsey's leg. It was just a sh1t challange thats all. Worse tackles have caused lesser injuries. It was just unfortunate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

If every team played like Stoke, no-one would watch football. Except you apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Stoke's style of play is a big blister on the arse of the Premiership. I celebrate every time they get beat and I find myself hoping they relegated every season.

They remind me of The Crazy Dons back in the early late 80s/early 90s. They Dons were universally derided for their style of play back then too. No one likes to see that sh*te in The Beautiful Game.

geeky wrote: »
    Just playing Devil's advocate here, but Daire O'Briain is a massive arsenal fan.

Yeah agreed, but it had some pretty interesting points of note aswell

Spillane is forever extolling the virtues of direct long ball football too!!!
    But that is the Gaelic football equivalent of neat passing in soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ya Wenger doesnt know what he's doin' :rolleyes:

Arsenal "only" finished 3rd last season and have had Champions League footbsll for the past 16 years or so.

And as for the Ramsey/Shawcross thing I dont believe for a second that He meant to break Ramsey's leg. It was just a sh1t challange thats all. Worse tackles have caused lesser injuries. It was just unfortunate

Maybe not, maybe he didnt go in to purposely break his leg but we all know full well there was a stage over about 3 years where it was clear that teams were told to go out and rough Arsenal up, get in their faces, continually foul them, if you take a booking make sure you hurt them etc etc. If that match was not against Arsenal and he didnt have manager baying for blood on the sidelines, would Shawcross had gone in so hard and recklessly?

Personally from watching other games, i think Shawcross is a nasty player and he does intentionally go in harder to hurt players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

What if every team played like Stoke? Does that seem a likely prospect? Literally every team in the entire world deigning to play in that fashion? Not something to worry about in my view. There's far more examples of positive examples counter to their style, like Wigan, Swansea and Norwich (more mixed than the other two but they certainly play it on the deck primarily) for that not to be an issue. Having said all that, I enjoy Stoke. They're so ridiculous, so old-fashioned, such a rawboned, red in tooth and claw throwback that they're fantastic entertainment against the bigger sides.

• Advertisement
Advertisement