Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars causing an obstruction

Options
  • 05-09-2012 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

Think this is the right place for this question.

I live in an estate with a number of cul d sac's connected by one main road. The main road has no yellow lines but is not used for parking by anyone other than one man.

I think this man works on cars, I'm not sure as a business or hobby but normally has up to five cars/vans parked on this main road. He paved his garden and has a number of cars in there too.

The reason I'm not sure if it's work/hobby is that a number of these cars are there for a long time but do not seem to be moved/used.

He's done this for years and it's always irritated me as at times as some of the vans are pretty knackard to look at. Lately though he has been taking the p!ss with cars now parked the whole way up the road causing cars to have to drive the wrong side of the road around a blind corner. This is all inside the estate so cars are not driving that fast really to cause a crash or anything.

I'm going to say something over this but just wanted to know if there is any law re amount of cars you can privately park, I'm sure I've a leg to stand on re the cars causing an obstruction at the top of the road?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Check the dates on the tax, NCT and insurance disks for the cars parked on the road. If they're not up to date, let the Gardai know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Maybe you can contact your city council and file a complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I would be incredibly descreet checking any info on a windscreen. While its perfectly legal it can rub people up the wrong way. Also IF you do report him he's going to know its you if your caught in the act.

check it out and then call the local authority/litter warden or garda to report an abandoned vehicle. Also maybe call revenue.

A hobby is usually 1 or 2 cars tops and they are typically classic cars. This sounds like a business for which he needs a permit. Its a total disregard for others if he's filling up the street with junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I kinda wanted to talk to him first, he's a bit of gob****e imo and is heavily involved in the estate committee so wanted to know is there any legal recourse on the actual parking.

It has been suggested to me to report one of the vans as an abandoned vehicle but again I don't want to do this as I want him to know it's the parking I have an issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

Why don't you make use of the planning laws - does he have permission to run a business here? If not, you can get an enforcement order against him. The council will not tell him who made the complaint.

If you don't want to go this far, you could tell him that if he doesn't reduce the number of cars you have this option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

He is quite likely oblivious to it. Blameworthy or not.

If your problem is road safety, then raise it as a road safety issue. Mention that you think it is unsafe to park on the bend, that you wouldn't want there to be a collision or someone run over. I think say it when you meet him casually as opposed to going over to meet him specifically. Would parking on the other side of the road be safer? What is fire brigade and bin truck access like? If there is no response, complain to the garda (nuisance /unsafe parking) and council, asking for double yellow lines.

The only other avenue of attack would be to the council planning department for running a business and/or storing of vehicles (different to parking of vehicles).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Victor wrote: »
    He is quite likely oblivious to it. Blameworthy or not.

Yeah to be honest I think this is the main issue. He's just the type of person that doesn't think. That's why I want to talk to him first and see what the response is. Don't want it to escalate into a "calling the guards" issue if there's no need.

There's no where else for him to park them in our estate as the roads tight enough as it is.

Here's hoping he sees sense regarding the road safety aspect and it dosen't turn to agro. Cheers

Advertisement