Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Spider (Dublin) Help :)

• 05-09-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello i found this spider today and i wanna know is it common in Ireland because i never saw something like this :) Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Portueso wrote: »
    Hello i found this spider today and i wanna know is it common in Ireland because i never saw something like this :) Thanks

Well I don't know what it's called but we have loads of them around the house - down in Limerick:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Portueso

Exactly the same as on picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

WTF is that?

I'm itchy now...I would freak out if that was in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭westerlywonder

There was one of these on my door today too. Not noticed any before now. Random, must be the strange break in the weather

Exactly the same as on picture?

We've had one above the door all week and I've just gone out to take a photo of it and he's gone :rolleyes:

If he comes back I'll post a photo of him:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Stick your finger near it, see if it has venom, let us know if it has

:D xexe ! Well i saw many spiders couse i was kind of collecting them during young age but never saw smtn like this one ! If he will be back :D post the picture !

Think it might be a variety of Harvestman Spider?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandlings/7837620186/in/pool-spidersofukandeire/

Not technically a spider but an Opilione?
    Opiliones (formerly Phalangida) are an order of arachnids commonly known as harvestmen. As of December 2011, over 6,500 species of harvestmen have been discovered worldwide,[1] although the real number of extant species may exceed 10,000.[2] The order Opiliones includes four suborders: Cyphophthalmi, Eupnoi, Dyspnoi, and Laniatores. Well-preserved fossils have been found in the 400-million-year-old Rhynie cherts of Scotland, which look surprisingly modern, indicating that the basic structure of the harvestmen has not changed much since then. Phylogenetic position is disputed: their closest relatives may be the mites (Acari) or the Novogenuata (the Scorpiones, Pseudoscorpiones and Solifugae).[3]
    Although they belong to the class Arachnida, harvestmen are in the order Opiliones; therefore they are not spiders, which are members of the order Araneae.
    In some places, Opiliones are known by the name "daddy longlegs" or "granddaddy longlegs", but this name is also used for two other unrelated arthropods: the crane fly (Tipulidae) and the cellar spider (Pholcidae)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

KILL IT WITH FIRE :eek:

thanks a lot, so this is old spider :rolleyes: well did i getit right that this spieces appeard only in 2011? And its not an spider :) Nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Holy crap!! How big is it? If I came across that I'd move out and ring the zoo and I wouldn't be asking to speak to Annie Lyons either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Against my better judgement I opened your pic yesterday ... Was horrIfied got instantly itchy and then thought about how freaked I'd be if I ever saw that in the flesh ....

Sitting in my kitchen this morning and BAM there it was on the wall in all its gross legginess .... At first I thought I was imagining it but no it was real ... :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jesus ****ing Christ! DO NOT WANT!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Omg that thing is terrifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Did you have to Hipstamatic it?

Holy crap!! How big is it? If I came across that I'd move out and ring the zoo and I wouldn't be asking to speak to Annie Lyons either!

The one we had was prob about 2-3 inches leg to leg but the body is small, maybe a centimetre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

I have loads and loads of these guys on my house (Co. Roscommon). I'm not a huge fan of spiders - but have the "agreement" with them, they stay outside or in a corner or where ever that is NOT above my head, or in any direct contact or path of mine - and they shall live eternal happy spider lives.

These things I don't mind at all. They rarely move and if they do its just a leg wave. And since they've been all over the house (have yet to see a single one inside) especially around the covered but open sided front porch the flies, midges bloody annoying flying and biting insects, have dropped a bit in the porch area (could also be a weather change - I'm no bug expert!) so I'm not too fussed by them anymore. Interesting to hear they are a new development and have a name better than "long leggy crabby-ish spiders" which they were "scientifically" dubbed around this house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

angeldaisy is correct, it's a Harvestman. :)

Lots of them in the garden, mostly on or near walls, I don't think I've ever encountered one inside the house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiliones

angeldaisy wrote: »
    The one we had was prob about 2-3 inches leg to leg but the body is small, maybe a centimetre?

This is one that is currently hiding out at the back of the house:D

DSC_0674.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I saw one of these outside the house yesterday, never saw them before! Euch. I blame this thread for making me aware of their existance!!

• Advertisement

Bubblefett wrote: »
    I saw one of these outside the house yesterday, never saw them before! Euch. I blame this thread for making me aware of their existance!!

I know! its only when you start looking for them that they are suddenly everywhere!

Thankfully you never really see them moving - they just appear and then disappear like magic:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

I have to say thats the least freaked out i have been looking at a picture of a spider in a long time.
    We have had some bloody big ones lately & to say I was terrified is an understatement - also we has what looked like a false widow out the back last wk..

Oh & the fact that there is a pic of a Camel Spider found in Manchester circulating on Facebook at the moment that even the fire brigade wouldnt deal with! Don't know if I believe the pic hasn't been photoshopped.

Advertisement