Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emerald Group Consulting - Teaching in Moscow

• 05-09-2012 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm wondering if any of you have any information/feedback about Emerald Group Consulting. From what I can see they're an 'Irish owned Russian registered company' who headhunt Irish teachers to work in schools in different parts of Russia. At the moment they're looking for qualified primary school teachers and I've been called for an interview. However, I can't seem to find the information I really want (reviews, feedback from teachers, etc.) about them, and was wondering if someone could help. The information I've been given (large, tax free salary, travel allowances, very small class sizes, etc.) seems a bit too good to be true, but maybe I'm just being paranoid. A boards.ie post came up when I searched on Google, but when I clicked it it said it was invalid. Hmmm.

Any information would be very much appreciated. :D

Also - any primary school teachers looking for work: apparently they're crying out for teachers at the moment as they're in great demand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mr.goon

Hey, I haven't heard of that company but I have seen jobs adveritsed for primary teachers in Moscow and around Russia. I'm a little skeptical myself with the high wages etc. It would be a massive culture shock to go over there but could be a great experience and beats not getting work here I guess.
    Did you find out anything more concrete about that company or jobs?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'd need a large salary in Moscow given the prices there. Not at all like the old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 princess of power

hi there, wondering what came of your interview and if it was all above board?? curious about it all....

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 skipforward

Hi there, I was wondering if you could let me know how you got on with this agency and if you took the job etc. as I am now in a similar position as you were last year.

I'm concerned about the cost of living in Moscow and also if leaving the country before doing the dip is a bad idea?

I'd be really grateful if you could fill me in on anything you know!
    Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Curious x

Hey guys.. Just wondering if anybody has anymore info on this?? Im also interested, but is it too good to be true? :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brónaim cád??

Hi all,

This sounds interesting and something that I would like to do. It'd be good to if there was a few going over as a group. The website does look a little bit dodgy.
    Could you let me know if you had any more info for the company, it doesn't look like there's a phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

Hi guys,

So sorry I didn't get back to this for so long. I didn't end up going for the interview in the end as I got cold feet, but fortunately ended up getting a temporary position for the academic year. The guy I spoke to on the phone seemed nice enough, but a little too eager almost... It made me feel a bit funny about the whole thing. That as well as the fact that I could find next to nothing about the company anywhere. And a thread about it that had been on boards had been deleted which I found odd.i heard a segment about it on a radio station a few months ago, a promotion toupee thing... But I can't for the life of me remember which station. But I can't find that online either. To be honest the difficulty in obtaining information about the company is just weird.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I didn't want to leave anyone in the lurch.

I wish you all the best of luck in your teaching :)

Ps - skipforward, have you joined the teaching council yet?
    After I graduated I taught in Berlin for a year and I was abit nervous about the dip thing. What I ended up doing was not registering with the teaching council until I came home which meant I delayed the countdown :) might be an idea if you want to go abroad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 niamniam

Emerald Group Consulting advertised on educationposts.ie so I did a little research and came across this- little bit sceptical about the whole thing!

Teacher23, you taught in Berlin for a year? If you could give me any information about it it'd be fantastic...Teaching in Berlin is the plan for next year!

Cheers!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Uberted

I saw the advert also on educationposts and checked it up. Here's a link to the Atlantic Schools Group which he mentions in the ad
    http://www.atlanticschool.ru/index.php/en/about/senior-management

About the school: ''Atlantic International School is an independent, non-profit organisation established to provide high value education to the expatriate and local community of Moscow, Saint Petersburg and Minsk. The school was established in the 2009/2010 academic year in response to demand from the local and international community seeking high value international education. Its principal aim continues to be the provision of excellent education based on the Cambridge International Curriculum."

Im going to send off an email tomorrow and find out a bit more. The website looks promising enough so we'll see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 teacher142

Teacher23 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm wondering if any of you have any information/feedback about Emerald Group Consulting. From what I can see they're an 'Irish owned Russian registered company' who headhunt Irish teachers to work in schools in different parts of Russia. At the moment they're looking for qualified primary school teachers and I've been called for an interview. However, I can't seem to find the information I really want (reviews, feedback from teachers, etc.) about them, and was wondering if someone could help. The information I've been given (large, tax free salary, travel allowances, very small class sizes, etc.) seems a bit too good to be true, but maybe I'm just being paranoid. A boards.ie post came up when I searched on Google, but when I clicked it it said it was invalid. Hmmm.

Any information would be very much appreciated. :D

Also - any primary school teachers looking for work: apparently they're crying out for teachers at the moment as they're in great demand.

Hi, teacher 23, I am a newly qualified primary teacher and am looking to teach in berlin for the year but finding it very hard to find schools that employ NQTs, they all seem to look for at least 2 to 3 yrs fulltime work experience, so I have provisionally taken a job in an English language centre but the pay is pretty s**** and before I sign the contract I just feel like I shud keep looking and hope that there is somethin better on offer... I would be so greatful if u have any pointers or links or information on this?. Also my first time using boards.ie hope im using it right ha!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement