Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for understandable chemistry notes

• 05-09-2012 7:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi OK So I am so so bad at chemistry And don't understand it right now I am fighting with my school to change to History but they say its a bad idea. So yesterday my deputy principle came in and said about LCVP But apparently you need two science subjects so I will stick with chemistry as I have knowledge from it since 5th year where as in History nothing from 6th year. So just looking for simple understandable notes or websites for leaving cert chemistry Higher Level? If anyone can help I will be more than grateful thanks everyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

fontdor wrote: »
    Hi OK So I am so so bad at chemistry And don't understand it right now I am fighting with my school to change to History but they say its a bad idea. So yesterday my deputy principle came in and said about LCVP But apparently you need two science subjects so I will stick with chemistry as I have knowledge from it since 5th year where as in History nothing from 6th year. So just looking for simple understandable notes or websites for leaving cert chemistry Higher Level? If anyone can help I will be more than grateful thanks everyone.

Check Khan Academy. They have many many many videos and usually are very well explained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Check Khan Academy. They have many many many videos and usually are very well explained.

Thanks dude you always help the best. You watched Khan Academy too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

fontdor wrote: »
    Thanks dude you always help the best. You watched Khan Academy too?

Yeah, I looked at it for maths and some applied maths things, but I never looked at the chemistry videos. If they are of the same quality as the maths ones, they'll be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

I got an A1. Don't bother wasting your time using pre-made notes. Different people have different styles of learning. I spent ages making notes and never looked at them again once I had them made. What worked for me was reading through the chapter slowly making sure I understood everything clearly, if you don't understand something rectify it immediately, don't just say "I'll come back to it later". Spend plenty of time doing questions from your textbook/workbook/exam papers. Once you understand the material there is very little else too it, other than remember a few definitions per chapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

id advise using rapid revision with the chemistry book, i think things are explained well in it.

khan academy seems pretty good, however ive only looked at a few videos:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ice And Fire

I highly recommend getting Chemistry 'Exam Edge' by folens. It's usually about €10. It basically takes questions from exam papers and gives clear solutions. I got it last year and it got me the A1. It is not essentially a revision book, but with regards to revision books, I would recommend staying away from them. For me I felt that they give too much 'new' information on the subject and eventually becomes confusing. Stick with the textbook, it will be the easiest to grasp and will contain EVERYthing on the course. Don't accept chemistry 'notes' from people either. They can offer more confusion. The best notes are the ones you make yourself. Make them neat, in large writing, staple them per chapter, and they will be easier to approach in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

+1 on the recommendations of Rapid Revision and Exam Edge :) They make Chemistry much easier and once you get used to them you'll be flying. Ended up with an A1 (390ish out of 400) in the actual leaving and they were the 2 books I used almost exclusively.

You can also kind of pick and choose what to leave out. For example you do 2 out of 3 experiments but 1 and 2 are always Titration and Organic respectively. This means you can leave out 3 if you're not a big fan of experiment questions. (I wasn't because I never really paid attention in class in 5th year and missed most of them but feel free if you prefer them :D)

Advertisement