Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud pruned trees in stock?

Options
  • 05-09-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a specimen plant. Has anyone seen cloud pruned trees for sale recently? Was thinking either privet or holly...

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Have you thought of a twisty baby:D. I've got one in my front garden I've had it about 12 years and it's spectacular Summer and Winter and very hardy. It's originally from Canada and can take a hard winter without suffering. You can keep them in tubs even. here's a description
    Robinia Lace Lady - "Twisty Baby"

Unique habit of zig zagged growth with tight curled foliage.
    Ageing bark looks oriental.
    New growth lime green darkening later.
    Very poular consistent seller and good in tubs and pots.
    Grows to height of upo to 2 metres. Trim as required.
    It's not as pricey as a cloudtrimmed tree which requires a lot of work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I also have a Twisty Baby and it is probably my favourite plant/shrub in the garden.

Although seemingly not that hardy. I have tried loads of places to get one for my Mum and it is just not available anywhere, seemingly frost doesn't agree with them, mine is sheltered.

If anyone see's or knows of somewhere that has them, I'd appreciate a tip off. :)

Mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

We've a couple two tiered Thuyas.

You don't see it much anymore, which is a pity. I like the look of the twisty baby, although am I right in that it's similar to a twisted hazel? Would be cheaper and a lot stronger if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

In my experience, the twisty baby is as tough as old boots. I fully expected it to be delicate. I got mine from a skip outside a garden centre, it was chucked out because it was a 2m standard and had lost a branch so was a bit lopsided. It's now got a full crown and semi weeping. It's a showstopper. I lost, fushia, teatree and dahlias in the cold winters, the twisty baby never even had a setback. In the winter it has no leaves and little zigzag branches. I'm so fond of it, I would risk taking it with me if I moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Have to agree 'Twisty Baby' looks great. The Johnstown garden centre website has them listed as available.

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/robinia-lace-lady--quottwisty-babyquot/robinia_lace_ladypd.aspx

It is similar to twisted hazel and they have that too.

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/corylus-avellana-contorta--corkscrew-hazel-tree/corylus_contortapd.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement