Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative writing M.A

• 05-09-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Please help, I would really like information from anybody doing creative writing masters, either here or in the UK. There is a very old short thread on this but my questions are as follows:

1. Do you think they're worth it?
    2. Did you enjoy yours and feel that you benefitted?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

hi Marilynhappy - was disappointed at lack of responses to your post - maybe you could try the Literature forum?
    I have no direct experience of such a course - they do seem rather expensive and would seem to rely heavily on the quality of the critical readings offered by classmates, which is hard to predict. If you could really use the structure they might be just the thing. I realize you mentioned UK & Ireland, but you might find the happy news stories of Belinda McKeon (as a student on an NY course) and Colm Toibin as a teacher, of interest - series of videos on youtube of them in conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 marilynhappy

Hi Howaya,

It's kind of you to suggest those youtube conversations to me, I intend to have a look at those- have huge repect for Colm Toibin so that should be interesting.

Yeah, nobody has really replied, thanks for suggesting other locations! It would be great to chat to someone with experience, confidentially as I am hoping for honest answers.

It seems to me that the structure of the creative writing MA, in general, could be very useful in terms of having some external motivation. It would be expensive and difficult too though, so I'm completely undecided!!

Advertisement