Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Applied Software Technology

Options
  • 05-09-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Anyone on here doing it? It seems ICT Skillnet have set up another in Athlone IT because some would rather be based there, turned that down myself as I have already moved to Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭IrishCule

48 views and no replies, don't be shy.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Yep im doing this. Starting tomorrow!

Neo# wrote: »
    Yep im doing this. Starting tomorrow!

Phew, I thought I was going to be the only one :D. Any idea what our "bootcamp" will entail?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Ive no idea. We will know a lot more this time tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Krooger

I did this course last year (completed the semester 3 internship the end of august there) , it was an interesting experience.. to say the least! If you have any questions about the course or anything gimme a shout

• Advertisement

Krooger wrote: »
    I did this course last year (completed the semester 3 internship the end of august there) , it was an interesting experience.. to say the least! If you have any questions about the course or anything gimme a shout

Haha care to expand on that?

Which part? :pac:

it was an interesting experience.. to say the least!

This part. Sounds like it was a bad experience haha.

IrishCule wrote: »
    This part. Sounds like it was a bad experience haha.

Not at all! It was actually a really enjoyable year looking back. After you get over the initial shock at the workload, it becomes quite manageable. None of the content of the modules is overly difficult, there's just a huge volume of assignments/exams/training/projects/etc. Probably the hardest part of the course (for me anyway) was time management.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Are you working in Athlone now or did you manage to get out of it?!
    (I'm on this course btw!)

• Advertisement

Not at all! It was actually a really enjoyable year looking back. After you get over the initial shock at the workload, it becomes quite manageable. None of the content of the modules is overly difficult, there's just a huge volume of assignments/exams/training/projects/etc. Probably the hardest part of the course (for me anyway) was time management.

Ah I see, I'm expecting that alright but I thought you were going to say it was a waste of time or something. How was your internship? What day to day like for that and now?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kieran101

Hey Krooger what kind of project did you end up working on for the internship?
    and hi everybody! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mcdbd

Is there anyone on the programme this year, who doesn't have a background in computing? I have a degree in science and a post graduate diploma in IT. Is it hard to get onto this programme?

What computer language do they teach? I can programme in Java. I'd be curious as to the level of difficulty of the course material. Perhaps someone could give an eye opener about this. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mcdbd

Anyone?

mcdbd wrote: »
    Is there anyone on the programme this year, who doesn't have a background in computing? I have a degree in science and a post graduate diploma in IT. Is it hard to get onto this programme?

What computer language do they teach? I can programme in Java. I'd be curious as to the level of difficulty of the course material. Perhaps someone could give an eye opener about this. Thanks.

Sorry forgot about this. I have a background in Computing myself but there are plenty in the class like you. There is 50 of us and I don't know everyone fully but I would nearly say the majority are like you, they have a degree in some other field and they did a course last year in some type of computing. I think there is about 20 from two different HDips in Computing from Maynooth alone haha. I also think (stress think) that there is about 5 or 6 with no background in Computing at all.

The only language so far has been Java, which I am comfortable with so I can't really give you an accurate description of the difficulty. I personally haven't really found any of the programming difficult (so far) but I know plenty in the class have, some with little to no experience in Java and some who are just out of practice with it. Maybe someone else can give you an answer to that.

I didn't find it hard to get in. There is an aptitude test followed by an interview, the interview was very casual and relaxed and couldn't have been better really. It seems most people had a similar interview to me but there was a few who said theirs was tough, maybe it depends what you have on your CV cause I was comfortable talking about mine and thats all I was asked about really (don't really remember much specifics sorry but the stand out thing was just how relaxed and casual it was).

The Aptitude test did have hard parts but there is nothing you can do about that really, you can't prepare for them you just need to relax and think WHILE doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Hi mcdbd,
    Is there anyone on the programme this year, who doesn't have a background in computing?

there are several that do not have a background in IT. The lack of responses to this thread may indicate the intensity of the course :D.
    Is it hard to get onto this programme?

Getting onto the programme entailed applying via ICT Ireland Skillsnets.
    the application process involving interviews and aptitude tests with Ericsson.
    What computer language do they teach? I can programme in Java. I'd be curious as to the level of difficulty of the course material. Perhaps someone could give an eye opener about this.

It's mainly Java so far but as far as I know there will be others, javascript we have been reliably informed.

A lot of people thought that they could "programme in Java" but are discovering that their knowledge is limited. We have gone from complete beginner to Threads in about 7-8 weeks. Developing applications using TDD
    (JUnit).

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bizebee

loctite wrote: »

Getting onto the programme entailed applying via ICT Ireland Skillsnets.
    the application process involving interviews and aptitude tests with Ericsson.

any information about what the aptitude contains please from people who have been there and have the t-shirt?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

(apologies for bumping an old thread but I think its still relevant as some who commented on this thread are still completing the course I think!)

Does anyone have any more info on the module content of the course? some of the course descriptions on the various sites seem to differ on the course outline!

What is the nature of the full-time job with Ericsson after the course? Does every person who completes the course get a job? Is the work placement during the course paid?

Also how does the course assist students in gaining additional certifications in Java, C++, IP Programming etc.?

chancing my arm with so many questions but grateful if anyone could give any info :)

Does anyone have any more info on the module content of the course? some of the course descriptions on the various sites seem to differ on the course outline!

Where have you been checking out the course description. Here is the official
    dit course brochure which is pretty comprehensive in its outline.
    What is the nature of the full-time job with Ericsson after the course? Does every person who completes the course get a job? Is the work placement during the course paid?

Not quite sure what you mean by nature of job. The job is as a full-time, junior software engineer.
    Everyone who completes the course successfully (i.e. min 2.1) is guaranteed a job, yes the work placement part of the course is paid
    Also how does the course assist students in gaining additional certifications in Java, C++, IP Programming etc.?

There have been several external courses for using java tools, frameworks and other stuff like version control (they currently use git), we are also required to sit the OCJP in May/June sometime and there has also been the ECT-IP certification (An Ericsson equivalent to the fist part of the CCNA).

On a side, I am unsure if there will be a MSc next year, it seems to have been down-graded to a HDip looking at the Skillsnet Website.

regards

L

It definitely needs to be downgraded to hDip. There's just too much work to be done in the one year masters when you haven't done much computing before. I'd be surprises if I get a 2.2 out if this :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 razor2013

It definitely needs to be downgraded to hDip. There's just too much work to be done in the one year masters when you haven't done much computing before. I'd be surprises if I get a 2.2 out if this :(

Sounds like real tough going. Was there a thesis component to the course?

razor2013 wrote: »
    Sounds like real tough going. Was there a thesis component to the course?

No thesis but there is a group project worth two modules, we're working on that at the moment and a placement during the Summer which I think is worth four (I think?!) modules.

Anyone at the aptitude tests a few weeks back? How did you get on. Did they mention about the next round yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NO91

What did other people wear to this apptitude test? Is it very formal? Are the questions those numerical/verbal reasoning and spacial awareness type things?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

NO91 wrote: »
    What did other people wear to this apptitude test? Is it very formal? Are the questions those numerical/verbal reasoning and spacial awareness type things?

You can wear whatever you want. When I went there were a few people wearing shirts and ties but others like myself just wearing a hoodie and jeans.

There isn't any verbal reasoning, the aptitude tests are all geared towards IT and are tied to the kind of logic and natural cognitive ability one would use for programming. They're not too bad but each one gets progressively harder.

loctite wrote: »

we are also required to sit the OCJP in May/June sometime

Did you have to study for the Oracle Certified Associate programmer exam, or was it just the Oracle Certified Professional exam ?

razor2013 wrote: »
    Did you have to study for the Oracle Certified Associate programmer exam, or was it just the Oracle Certified Professional exam ?

Sorry, should have been more precise....
    Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 Programmer 1.6

As far as I am aware, the OCJP does not require you to have the Associate for the 1.6 exam. I think this has changed with the newer (1.7) version which makes the associate a prerequisite (I think that is what you mean by Associate Programmer, that has replaced the 1.6 Associate.)

Clear as mud

L

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

Has anyone asked what would happen if someone decided not to work with ericsson at the end of the program? Do you sign a contract for say two years minimum or would you have to pay back fees and bursary etc. Just curious as id say its a great place to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 maybug

Has anyone asked what would happen if someone decided not to work with ericsson at the end of the program? Do you sign a contract for say two years minimum or would you have to pay back fees and bursary etc. Just curious as id say its a great place to work.

Hi, I'm delighted as I got offered a place on this years course! In the contract it says that if you fail to complete the course without their approval (for heath or other exceptional reasons) or if you are offered the two year contract upon satisfactory completion at the end of the internship, you must refund them the entire cost assosiated with the programme along with the Bursary... It's really only for people that actually want to work for Ericsson once they've completed the course... I hope it is a great place to work! -The interview was held there and it looked lovely. =)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

maybug wrote: »
    Hi, I'm delighted as I got offered a place on this years course! In the contract it says that if you fail to complete the course without their approval (for heath or other exceptional reasons) or if you are offered the two year contract upon satisfactory completion at the end of the internship, you must refund them the entire cost assosiated with the programme along with the Bursary... It's really only for people that actually want to work for Ericsson once they've completed the course... I hope it is a great place to work! -The interview was held there and it looked lovely. =)

Thanks and congrats on getting your place.

Advertisement