Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how am I doing with this build?

Options
  • 05-09-2012 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? eu800 - ish

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? photo editing,
    will add a GPU for some gaming later, want a few extra PCIe slots to allow for expandability, no interest in crossfire though.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? no

5. Do you need a monitor? no

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1920x1080]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [no]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [NO.NOT AT ALL]

8. How can you pay? any method

9. When are you purchasing? [In 30 days]

This is my first cut at it.. NOTE I DO NOT WANT TO OVERCLOCK!

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570 Box, LGA1155|€198.68 , about eu20 cheaper than the 'K', clockable version.
    ASUS P8H77-V, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3|€101.84 H77, not clockable. But ATX is bigger, FF, less cramped, hopefully easier to build..
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9|€41.97 , 2 x 4GB, leaves 2 slots free for another 8GB in the future
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€36.29 Is this any good/overkill? I have no idea
    Corsair Carbide Series 400R, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€87.00
    Corsair GS Series, 500 Watt|€58.29
    LG CH10LS Blu-Ray ROM Retail|€59.90
    2 x WD Caviar Green 750GB, SATA 6Gb/s (WD7500AZRX)|€157.42
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€760.38Am planning to run win 7 64bit home edition, so thats an extra 100.
    Any thoughts? I've never done a build myself before, so appreciate any advice you have..Toying with the idea of a 64GB SSD as the boot/apps drive...Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

To save money, I'd change the CPU/Motherboard to an AMD bundle, maybe FX 8150 and a 970 motherboard?

Item|Price
    AMD FX-8150 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+|€175.09
    8GB-Kit G.Skill Ares PC3-17066U CL11-11-11-31|€53.43
    ASRock 970 Pro3, AM3+, ATX|€66.14
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€17.54
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€99.74
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€75.59
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Arc Mini, mATX|€77.89
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€43.39
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€627.80

I was able to squeeze a 128GB SSD in there :) The 8150 would be very good because it's great with editing software, and it's not more expensive than the i5.

Also, I put in a silent, smaller case which I thought made more sense for a photo-editing rig that as of right now didn't have a graphics card. You'd be fine sticking one in, by the way.

EDIT: Actually, you're going to need to swap the case to an ATX one, as I forgot the motherboard was ATX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Thanks, eboggles. The LiteON looks like much better value, and the Super-flower PSU is a real find! That is one well-spec'd PSU.
    The Samsung SSD looks great, too, and the caviar blue is probably better for my need than the green. I've decided to stick with Intel, though. And I have a power supply already. I've splashed out a little on the fractal design box based on reviews I've read.

I did a power bidget as well as a cash budget, so now I am looking at this:

.jpg

Comments welcome! I'm opening the wallet in a few days..

-FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Cheaper (slightly) and better motherboard than the one you've picked out there,
    http://lb.hardwareversand.de/DDR3/59321/ASRock+Z77+Pro4-M%2C+Sockel+1155%2C+mATX.article

yes - I see it has 4 internal SATA 6.0GB ports instead of 2....plus all PCIe 2.0/3.0 .
    The eSATA port is of no benefit to me, but the extra internal SATA ports will be useful....SOLD!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I know you said that you weren't interested in overclocking but getting a 3570K would probably significantly hold onto its value much longer if you were to sell it. Also, overclocking is nowhere near the difficulty or danger it once was, so a lot of stigma surrounding it is undeserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Monotype wrote: »
    I know you said that you weren't interested in overclocking but getting a 3570K would probably significantly hold onto its value much longer if you were to sell it. Also, overclocking is nowhere near the difficulty or danger it once was, so a lot of stigma surrounding it is undeserved.

I agree maybe not now but In years to come when the CPU starts to become a bit slow you have the option to bump it up

yes, I have decided to go for the 3570K, partly 'cos if this project goes tits up on me the parts will be more saleable....:eek: I havent built a PC before, but I've been doing me homework so hopefully all will be well. If it works I'll defo have a far better box than Dell etc can give me at the price, plus meself & FoxT Jnr (aged 10 ) will have had a pretty interesting & fun project!

I'll keep y'all posted..Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80677603&postcount=2889

Tea_Bag is an experienced pc and he struggled with the Macho so I would so look at something else .

Maybe this could work for you :
    http://lb.hardwareversand.de/Intel+AMD/50347/Thermaltake+BigWater+A80%28Sockel+775+1156+1366+AM2+AM2%2B+AM3+FM1%29.article

Just have a Look around the Internet to find out more about it in terms of reliability . I don't own one of these and have never owned a self inclosed liquid cooler .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80677603&postcount=2889

Tea_Bag is an experienced pc and he struggled with the Macho so I would so look at something else .

Maybe this could work for you :
    http://lb.hardwareversand.de/Intel+AMD/50347/Thermaltake+BigWater+A80%28Sockel+775+1156+1366+AM2+AM2%2B+AM3+FM1%29.article

Just have a Look around the Internet to find out more about it in terms of reliability . I don't own one of these and have never owned a self inclosed liquid cooler .
    That's actually quite a poor cooler, if one were interested in that sort of thing I'd recommend an Antec H20 620.

Thanks guys, I've decided to stick with the stock cooler for now. It will get me started at least, and if it runs hot I'll be able to measure up how much space I have to put one in. As I am not overclocking I think that I probably wont need any more than the stock cooler - especially as I am going without the GPU initially.

• Advertisement

I dont usually bump old (ish) threads...but I finally received my order from HardwareVersand....after waiting since Sept 19!

Story so far.... All set up except RAM & SATA.

Fans work, it boots into BIOS (with RAM in...I removed the RAM cos FoxT jnr is helping here - it is his job to put in the RAM tomorrow, & he's in bed..)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help & advice I have gotten on this forum, either directly on thread or through reading other threads.

Much appreciated!

-Foxt

Advertisement