Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling the Grand Canal

Options
  • 05-09-2012 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

How far can you cycle along the Grand Canal westwards from Dublin without the path disappearing and being replaced by grass? And which side can you cycle, or does it change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Plenty of info in the previous threads:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055943815&highlight=canal

I did Dublin to Tullamore a few years back - here's my own account
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67202339

From memory, it's ok out as far as just past Enfield - a mix of well worn paths that are easy going (provided it hasn't being raining!). After Enfield, from memory, it got grassy for a while (maybe 7 miles or so) - but then changed back to a fairly decent surface and even paved paths / roads leading to Tullamore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Thanks!

(I'd looked for the other threads I'd read, but couldn't find them.)

The Grand Canal Way seems to be the name; here's a map:

http://www.irishtrails.ie/maps/Grand%20Canal%20Way%20-%20Overview%20Map.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

If you are want company, I'd go along for the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

A great challenge much easier than Royal. But dont half do it get yourself down to the basin in Ringsend where it enters Liffey. Lots manage trip in one day to Shannon bridge. but an overnight in Naas makes for a great week end trip.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    If you are want company, I'd go along for the spin.

Sounds lovely; not planning to do it *straightaway*, but maybe in a couple of months.

Might try it bit by bit, the way people do the Camino.

Letter to the Irish Times today, by the way:
    Sir, – I read with interest Sarah Swift’s letter regarding the difficulties of cycling from Dublin to the west of Ireland (September 4th). It is a journey I have undertaken twice in the past year, along the towpaths of the Royal and Grand Canals. Neither route is marked as a cycling route but the potential of both to encourage cycle tourism is, in my view, enormous. However, this will not be accomplished without support from the powers that be.

Consider the advantages of the canals for cycle tourism – the generally flat terrain allows easy cycling; there are almost no access difficulties, as the land is in public ownership; and, for most of the route, there is no danger from motor vehicles. At present the towpaths are not developed for cycling and thus are grassy and rough in places, but this could be easily resolved by gravelling the paths, as has been done on the Great Western Greenway in Co Mayo. That initiative proved to be a huge success and has revitalised towns along the route. Creating two new cycling routes along the canals could bring similar benefits to such towns as Longford and Tullamore, which at present are not known for being tourism hotspots.

I am aware that we are living in financially difficult times, but given that the land is already in public ownership, surely turning the towpaths into proper cycling routes would not be a heavy burden – all that is needed is some gravel, signage and replacing some cycling-unfriendly gates with others. This has already been done along short sections of both canals. All that is needed now is to complete the routes from Dublin to the Shannon and market them appropriately to both the Irish and international markets. We already have a hugely successful Great Western Greenway, so let’s add a Royal and Grand Greenway and give our tourism market a much-needed boost. – Yours, etc,

NOEL HOGAN,
    Shanaway Road,
    Ennis, Co Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Wow, I hadn't thought of the potential for a formal cycle route there, even though I've had my eye on cycling it for a while.

OP, from running it the route is good, i.e. paved, from the city centre until about two or three miles past Clondalkin where it turns to muck. I'm not sure how long it remains muck but I would imagine you would want a mountain bike from then on for comfort, or a sturdy hybrid - road bike would not suffice, though I'm sure the above threads include comments from people who have actually done the route.

a148pro wrote: »
    Wow, I hadn't thought of the potential for a formal cycle route there, even though I've had my eye on cycling it for a while.

OP, from running it the route is good, i.e. paved, from the city centre until about two or three miles past Clondalkin where it turns to muck. I'm not sure how long it remains muck but I would imagine you would want a mountain bike from then on for comfort, or a sturdy hybrid - road bike would not suffice, though I'm sure the above threads include comments from people who have actually done the route.

A friend who cycled to Athlone recently with her autistic son told me that she'd originally planned to do it along the canal, but she was told that the danger of punctures was great. She cycled on the roads instead, and said the small roads were fabulous most of the way - except for the section between Kinnegad and Athlone, where artics, trucks and lorries leaving the motorway to avoid the toll went belting along, to the danger of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Don't forget that the Grand Canal also has a spur to the Barrow in Athy and from there you can take the Barrow navigation to Waterford, so Dublin-Waterford is possible on the towpaths too.

There is also huge possibilities to combine the canal with Coilte and Bord Na Mona to make some long distance mostly off road routes if the will was there.

nilhg wrote: »
    Don't forget that the Grand Canal also has a spur to the Barrow in Athy and from there you can take the Barrow navigation to Waterford, so Dublin-Waterford is possible on the towpaths too.

Wow! This could be so great!
    There is also huge possibilities to combine the canal with Coilte and Bord Na Mona to make some long distance mostly off road routes if the will was there.

And if there were cycle paths beside the train lines too (all the land owned by the State), there could be a fantastic offroad network for cycle tours - a big tourism draw.

Then all we need is to get the foodies to open cafes with delicious food along the way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Plenty of info in the previous threads:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055943815&highlight=canal

I did Dublin to Tullamore a few years back - here's my own account
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67202339

From memory, it's ok out as far as just past Enfield - a mix of well worn paths that are easy going (provided it hasn't being raining!). After Enfield, from memory, it got grassy for a while (maybe 7 miles or so) - but then changed back to a fairly decent surface and even paved paths / roads leading to Tullamore.

Enfield is on the Royal Canal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Oh yeah, sorry bout that. I took the Royal out as far as Enfield, then transferred to Road to join the Grand at Edenderry. Have taken the Grand back fro mAllenwood to Dublin (came off at Lucan) and it was perfectly cyclable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Tried to cycle the Grand last year. After the cycle path, far side of the M50 it gets incredibly rough for a few miles. Then gravel then grass then tarmac then very heavy overgrown grass then then then. You can hear the banjos a playin'.

Pulled off the Grand in Kildare somewhere, Prosperous or the likes of.
    Wouldn't attempt it again. Fair play to all who have cycled it.

Can still hear the banjos.............

Planet X wrote: »
    Tried to cycle the Grand last year. After the cycle path, far side of the M50 it gets incredibly rough for a few miles. Then gravel then grass then tarmac then very heavy overgrown grass then then then. You can hear the banjos a playin'.

Pulled off the Grand in Kildare somewhere, Prosperous or the likes of.
    Wouldn't attempt it again. Fair play to all who have cycled it.

Can still hear the banjos.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yt9R0I3gSk

In the heart of Kildare, McCreevy country

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ridertothesea_

I cycled the Grand Canal in July with some friends.

The surface is tarmac as far as Clondalkin however the barrier gates are a complete nuisance. If you have panniers you have to take them off. Beyond that the path is tarmac as far as Adamstown/12th lock. Thats where the trouble begins. Mud. And lots of it for a couple of kilometers. Apart from this generally the surface is tarmac as far as Sallins. There is an Aldi here which is handy for picking up supplies.

From Salins to Robertstown the surface is equally divided between stretches of grass and tarmac. In places the grass sections have a narrow track which provides relatively easy cycling. Much of the other sections however are just grass. Roberstown has a chinese taweaway and not much else. Little other food options for miles.

From Robertstown to Tullamore the surface is mostly grass. From Tullamore to Shannon Harbour the surface was very mucky grass. Particularly heavy going.

Riding the canal is extremely heavy going due to the extent of the grassy/muddy sections. The wet Summer hasnt helped. A mountain bike is most definitely needed. In short there is no 'Grand Canal Way' there is simply a 'Right of Way' along the Canal.

Added to this is the ubiquitous illegal dumping that appears in equal proportion to the quality of the scenery. This is complimented by abandoned barge restoration projects. This is such a shame as the scenery is very attractive for much of the route.

That said, Op, I'm happy to come along as well for the aforementioned trip

Thanks, will keep this in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

So it's mountain bike only after about Clondalkin?

It's a cycle I'd be interested in. But not on a MTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

I cycled from Bordeaux to Narbonne in France along the canal de Garonne and the canal du midi this year. Had a really great holiday.
    Half the route was on tarmac and the other half a mix of gravel and clay. I reckon it could be done relatively cheaply using compacted gravel.
    Maybe a cycling organization could do a small section to see if it could be done on the cheap using volunteers . I'd offer my services.:D

Would love to see the canals here developed for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Speedtrap

The Grand from Robertstown/Lowtown is definitely MTB only. The Grand towards Vicarstown and eventually alon Barrow navigation via Leiglinbridge, Bagnalstown Graignamanagh to St Mullens is a hidden gem of Ireland. It is part of the hidden Leinster that never gets a fair shake form the tourism promo agencies. Cycle tourism would change that. There are plans to develop the Boyne navigation which would pass from Drogheda to Navan via Battle of the Boyne site, Newgrange, Slane etc.Another hidden gem.....
    The best cycle option on the canals at present is the Royal. Clonsilla to Kilcock is fine, Moyvalley to Mullingar is good enough and the far end around Ballymahon onwards is really peaceful "contemplative" cycling. MTB recommended. There has been a lot of hard sell on the Mayo Greenway.

Its about time Waterways Ireland, and tourism interests and Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Westmeath, Longford, Offaly, Laois, Kilkenny, Carlow and Wexford local authorities looked at the huge potential of the Royal, Grand, Barrow and Boyne towpaths and developed a very viable tourism and leisure resource.

Also the boreens of the midland bogs are a good day out particularly on a hybrid or mtb. Boora near Kilcormac comes to mind. it is a delight.

Your absolutly right Del and thats a very informative piece Speedtrap. The problem is that Waterways Ireland seem to be anti cycling ,this is noting new the canals were always seen as the sole domain of fishing people and walkers. Organisations like Dublin Cycling Campaign and Cycling Ireland don´t seem to have any interest or clout unlike thier counterparts in UK ,CTC who are a great watchdog for ordinary cyclist. I have personaly requested W.I Minister Joan Burton and Minister Leo Varadker to at least put up signage warning cyclist particuarly for school going kids of the danger between Porterstown Bridge and Castleknock. They wont do this simple task which could save lives and injury, I assume W.I. see it as admitting liability in such cases. As far as these guys are concerned cycling and canals are ok in D2 or D4 where millions can be spent far more than would do a copy of Canal du Midi. or the stretch between Pikes bridge and Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

del88 wrote: »
    I cycled from Bordeaux to Narbonne in France along the canal de Garonne and the canal du midi this year. Had a really great holiday.
    Half the route was on tarmac and the other half a mix of gravel and clay. I reckon it could be done relatively cheaply using compacted gravel.
    Maybe a cycling organization could do a small section to see if it could be done on the cheap using volunteers . I'd offer my services.:D

Would love to see the canals here developed for cycling.

A compacted gravel surface is a bit cheaper to put down than asphalt, but it requires more maintenance, so the costs tend to even out in the end. I would definitely go for asphalt on the canal routes. Flat, traffic-free routes close to major urban centres should prove very popular with young families. A cyclist towing a trailer containing a three-year old, a two-year old, the older youngster's little bike and the younger youngsters balance bike won't be thrilled if he keeps encountering potholes or finds himself slithering around in patches of gravel. I'd also prefer to be on an asphalt surface if I had a child in a child seat on the back of my own bike. And a decent surface would be a bonus for learner cyclists, too. And for long-distance cyclists with heavy loads. The canals are already a man-made environment, and I don't think that putting down a surface that is comfortable to cycle on would impact overly on the ambience or the ecology of the routes.

Routes in more remote locations or ones that are more likely to appeal to fitter adult cyclists with good bike handling skills are more obvious candidates for gravel surfaces, but they can still create headaches.

A lot of my local routes are gravel roads through forests where the compacting stage is sometimes skipped when fresh gravel is put down. I don't really mind, but a friend who makes a living as a bike tour guide was recently caught out when he took a group of wobbly tourists on a route that had been fine the previous week and had since had a load of gravel dumped on it.

I also got a puncture recently on a greenway that had actually been surfaced with sharp flints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RyanAndrew

This chap has a fairly detailed website on it http://travellogireland.com/Cycling_Ireland_s_Canals.html and is looking for support - moral or otherwise - in his campaign to have the towpaths made more accessible for touring - not racing - cyclists.

Your right Bamber its not rocket science although the suits with the encredable bills will make us believe so. I beleive the small strech form Suir bridge to Adamstown cost 8000000 a absolute disgrace. The ideal surface for urban tracks can be seen on the stretch between Broombridge and Ashtown. This was installed by the apartment developer as part of the planning deal. The stretch at Maynooth is simular tocanal paths all over europe Level with JCB a bit of hardcore and top dressing.With minimal maintenance will last for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Sean02 wrote: »
    . Organisations like Dublin Cycling Campaign and Cycling Ireland don´t seem to have any interest or clout unlike thier counterparts in UK ,CTC who are a great watchdog for ordinary cyclist.

As a CI director I can assure you we would be interested in this project as the majority of our membership are non-competitive. I dont think we could justify spending some of the amounts quoted but would be happy to assist in any way possible. Just because we dont think/know about something doesnt mean we wouldnt be interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

RyanAndrew wrote: »
    This chap has a fairly detailed website on it http://travellogireland.com/Cycling_Ireland_s_Canals.html and is looking for support - moral or otherwise - in his campaign to have the towpaths made more accessible for touring - not racing - cyclists.

It's a really nice site. The photographs and maps and very detailed accounts really do a good job of showing what's there now and what potential the routes have. The overall project of cycling 81 Irish leisure routes and doing a warts-and-all report on them is interesting, too. But I think the demand for "a compacted grit path about two feet wide [..] installed in the middle of the towpath between the tracks left by vehicles driven by the lock keepers and maintenance crews" is much too modest.

We are talking about routes that should be an absolute haven for the sort of unpredictable path users that any sensible cyclist would only pass with a generous margin of safety:small children running around, dogs, dog walkers holding leads (often more dangerous than their actual dogs), dogs being "walked" (cycled?) by cyclists, wobbly child cyclists, wobbly elderly cyclists doing 25 km/h on electric bikes, wobbly touring cyclists on bikes packed with luggage, people out for the day weighed down by trailers full of kids, or kids on trailer bikes.

These people need some space to interact safely with one another. Otherwise, the routes will never gain in popularity. And/or too many people will end up in the water.

The various kissing gates and barriers that are defended on the website are also a problem. We need much more intelligent solutions. Imagine you've had a nice day out cycling along the canal with your small children, who are now back in the trailer and fast asleep as you journey homewards. If you get stuck at one of these gates, you might have to wake them up and lift them out of the trailer and unhitch the trailer and lift it over a gate. Several times. Or imagine an elderly person on a tricycle or somebody with a recumbent tricycle finding themselves stuck at one of these barriers, unable to leave the route somewhere maybe 20 km after where they entered it.

Yes the kissing gates in one way are great in that they keep motorbikes and quads out. Also people were using the tow paths for thier early morning gallops and Im not talking about the kids in suberbs of Dublin. Personaly I could negotiate them in 10 sec including dismounting and remounting, however I take your point about trailers and particuarly wheelchair users who are terrible discriminated against, but in this case its mostly impossible to safely travel on the appaling surfaces in a wheelchair. Well thats good news from CI and particuarly an Hon. Director, perhaps he/she could start by copying and paste my comments about Porterstown to Castknock section and asking the aforementioned Ministers to do something positive. I await with interest.

So I've decided to stop thinking about doing this and just to do it. My plan is to go along the royal canal to kinnegad or mullingar. Haven't decided yet, and then hook up with the old Galway road finishing in athlone. Any tips for this, going to allow myself 6-7hrs. Also thinking of trying it on my road bike, with padded shirts obviously. Besides spare tubes and pump any other things to bring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

ipod
    food
    coffee
    camera
    rain gear
    that should cover it have a good trip sure hope its a good one.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

So I've decided to stop thinking about doing this and just to do it. My plan is to go along the royal canal to kinnegad or mullingar. Haven't decided yet, and then hook up with the old Galway road finishing in athlone. Any tips for this, going to allow myself 6-7hrs. Also thinking of trying it on my road bike, with padded shirts obviously. Besides spare tubes and pump any other things to bring?

I did this cycle from Leixlip to Mullingar last April and I would highly recommend it, that leg took me 6 hours although I wouldn't be a speedy cyclist, I got three punctures (two back, one front) in the space of a few kilometres near Moyvalley and that dragged my time back. I would recommend using something like Dr. Sludge anti-puncture tape for the journey, the punctures were caused by thorns which had dropped from the bushes, they didn't go in deeply, just enough for a slow puncture so the anti-puncture tape should do the trick, don't leave it too late in the year or it can get quite muddy in places, good luck with the cycle.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have rain gear which I apparently very good, yet ti be tested. I am going to put gatorskins on the bike, but Ill get that jelly as well. Can anyone recommend a pump, or if you are selling one pop over to my thread on adverts that will get my road bike up to the required psi?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have rain gear which I apparently very good, yet ti be tested. I am going to put gatorskins on the bike, but Ill get that jelly as well. Can anyone recommend a pump, or if you are selling one pop over to my thread on adverts that will get my road bike up to the required psi?

How did your canal trip go? Thinking of trying it myself.

Advertisement