Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling the Grand Canal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cyclic

Hey Grey Eagle,

I cycled from Dublin last week along the Grand Canal. Camped overnight along the way. Cycled from Shannon Harbour by road to Mullingar. I was planning to head out to most westerly point of the Royal, but after cycling for 6 hours in the pouring rain on day 2, I thought I'd hedge bets and maybe train it home from there instead. However, weather cleared in the evening and headed back to Dublin from Mullingar on the Royal. Camped on the canal again on night 2. Back in Dublin next evening.

It's glorious. Saw no other cyclists on route. Very little boat traffic on the water. Some walkers and fishermen around the towns, apart from that nobody around. Truly criminal that we don't use this fantastic resource.

Some points maybe of use to you:

A road bike is going to be too tough. You could probably do it if you don't mind a real struggle. Mostly grass and gravel on the towpaths. Some areas are just about fine on wider tyres (I was on a loaded touring bike with wide tyres).

145 kms on the Grand. Less on the Royal. Mostly travelling about 10-15 km per hour.

I'd have liked an extra night. The last day was the most pleasant 70 kms on the canal. (Day 1 -120kms). Would have enjoyed it even more if I'd taken it in a bit and didn't slog it out.

All day into a gentle breeze starts to grate your nerves after a few hours. Having the same gentle breeze at your back makes a big difference. If possible start your journey in the West.

Keep an eye on the signs at every road junction. The way flips from one side to the other frequently. That inviting paved road along the canal may be not be on the canal way and just might end in a cul de sac 3 kms further on.

A glass or two of wine with your lunch in the middle of nowhere really do lift the spirits- especially if it's raining.

Canal locks are a great place to prepare and cook your food (bench height, solid, plenty of space to lay out all your stuff.

Both Canals are equally beguiling and easily done on a bike. It's a great adventure, especially as there are only a few people about and the scenery is great just a few kms from the city centre.

Before the weather turns too autumnal, I will do the Barrow stretch. I'm looking forward to it!

Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Brilliant description.

I did the Royal e2e this year, now planning the Grand for spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I was thinking of riding either the Royal or the Grand close to Dublin, or maybe making a loop to include both, going by road between Maynooth and Ardclough or something like that.

For those who have ridden either canals, is there generally a towpath on both sides? And if one side is grass and the other gravel, does it generally stay that way or do you find yourself examining each bank at every lock/bridge before deciding which to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I was thinking of riding either the Royal or the Grand close to Dublin, or maybe making a loop to include both, going by road between Maynooth and Ardclough or something like that.

For those who have ridden either canals, is there generally a towpath on both sides? And if one side is grass and the other gravel, does it generally stay that way or do you find yourself examining each bank at every lock/bridge before deciding which to take?

Tow path on one side only - from what I've seen anyway. I've headed out the royal as far as enfield then took the grand to tullamore, so open to correction.

You must follow the signs as it is easy to get tempten by an apparent better road on one side to find out that it was a cul de sac a few kms later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

gzoladz wrote: »
    You must follow the signs as it is easy to get tempten by an apparent better road on one side to find out that it was a cul de sac a few kms later.

Thanks, yeah I found this out the first time it switched sides. Follow the signs!

I did a nice loop on Saturday: Inchicore to Sallins on the Grand, Sallins to Maynooth on the road and then Maynooth to Ashford on the Royal and home through the Phoenix Park. 75k, about 3 hours, a nice mix of surfaces from mud to tarmac. Fun on a cross bike.

330348.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Nice one, done the same in the other direction. Grand Canal leg mostly in total darkness ;)

http://app.strava.com/activities/198989832

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mrbike

I did a trip during summer to see if it was possible to get from Waterford back to Dublin completely off road. Using a combination of the South Leinster Way, The Barrow Way & The Grand Canal Way, it can be done.

You join the South Leinster way near Mullinavat and after that's it's pretty much all off road.

The South Leinster way is meant to be a signed hiking trail, but trust me it's not. It's also pretty overgrown in places. Bring a good OSI map & compass or pre-program your GPS.

The best part was hitching a ride on a barge on the Barrow.

https://plus.google.com/photos/101049728232065299842/albums/6089720445189205489?authkey=CLe4qrm_i8elnwE

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

For anybody that uses the Grand Canal,

From: http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=31319

"ESB propose to commence works along the Grand Canal Way-Green Route from Davitt Road to 12th Lock, Lucan –Newcastle Road from 10th November, 2014 to 28th February, 2015. This will necessitate the temporary closure of parts of the Route for a period of time to facilitate the works."

The first couple of weeks work have been posted at http://www.sdcc.ie/news/update-re-esb-works-along-grand-canal-green-route.

"24th December 2014
    The rescheduled ESB works along the Grand Canal Green Route are due to commenced Monday 5th January, 2015

The closures for the first two weeks in January will be:

Section 1: Naas Road (Bluebell) to Kylemore Road 05th January – 09th January

Section 2: Kylemore Road to Kileen Road 05th January – 16th January

Section 3: Kileen Road to Ninth Lock Road 07th January – 16th January"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

blobbie wrote: »
    One for the future.

Hopefully not too far in the future, this has massive potential.

We've done some of the Royal Canal but none of the Grand. Outside of Dublin, are any parts tarmac/gravel?

I am now planning to complete the Grand e2e this spring. After having done the Royal last year (which was just amazing) I have decided to detour in the parts where the surface is to rough (i. e,. where there is no path or too much grass) as these were too hard on my knees last year, and they make the journey less enjoyable.

I am planning to start in Dublin and spend the night in Tullamore. This is 100km including detours (mainly around Edenderry).

Last year when I did the Royal I slept in Mullingar. This was 91km but it included a good 10km of long grass which took its toll. It also rained 80% of the time and all I had was a poncho type raincover which created some resistance. And when I got to Mullingar after my 9hrs journey I was so wet that it looked like I had swam in the canal, as opposed to cycling along.

Now it will be 9km longer, but no bad grass and proper rain gear, in case I need it.

All going well, the second day will be from Tullamore to Ballymasloe (to take the train) . This will add just over 20km to the lenght of the Grand but otherwise there is no easy way to come back to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Some sections up to Newcastle Road will be closed until April to facilitate ESB works. They've made a right mess of some of the sections done so far.

Mmmm thanks, I was nlt expecting that.

Is there any website where I can find up to date info? SDCC seems a bit dated.

Mmmm thanks, I was nlt expecting that.

Is there any website where I can find up to date info? SDCC seems a bit dated.

No, signs point you to SDCC website. The signs keep changing as dates get pushed out. Easy enough to divert, maps on each section that's closed if you don't know the area.

Yes thanks, not worry about how to detour irself, it is just that I am planning a leisure cycling along the canal so want to avoid detouring as much as possible. And the areas where work is taking place are probably thet best cycle lanes of the whole way (not necessarily the most scenic though).

This may add a few extra kms to the journey too. Not many, but my planned 100km first leg is already a bit of a stretch for someone in my situation/condition.

Yes thanks, not worry about how to detour irself, it is just that I am planning a leisure cycling along the canal so want to avoid detouring as much as possible. And the areas where work is taking place are probably thet best cycle lanes of the whole way (not necessarily the most scenic though).

This may add a few extra kms to the journey too. Not many, but my planned 100km first leg is already a bit of a stretch for someone in my situation/condition.

The diversions are pretty short, or you can go along the Nangor Road instead and join further up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I cycled the Grand from Dolphins barn out to Robertstown and back a couple of weekends ago and managed to squeeze past all the diversions easily enough. I could just have been lucky, or it is possible they leave access through at the weekends. Very mucky out there at the moment, and heavy going on the stretch that leads you to Hazelhatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I did the Grand canal last week, went out as far as Hazelhatch train station, which is a bit past the bit where the path ends in Lucan. There were a couple of places where I had to cross over as works had left the pathway completely blocked, a few others where I was able to squeeze past and keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I want to take a train 60-70 km out or thereabouts and cycle back into Dublin someday all in one day along either the Grand or the Royal. Is this doable does anyone know? Do both canal routes slope downwards back into Dublin or flat at least? Trying to look on Google Maps is headwrecking and theres feck all info to be found apart from ancient Boards threads.

• Advertisement

Tullamore to Dublin is handy enough - might need to get early(ish) train.

Would recommend MTB, late spring/summer timescale and a good westerly :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Alek's Strava ride of both canals shows they're very flat - http://app.strava.com/activities/198989832

Hmmm, Tullamore looks very doable, thanks, think Ill set a reminder to do that someday in Summer. All I have with fat tyres is an ancient Raleigh mountain bike but it seems to be a gentle downward slope back to town so Ill chance it, thanks both.

Yeah - pretty much flat as a pancake.

It's approx. 90km from Tullamore back to Dublin. It took me about 7h 30m at a leisurely 16kph with a few stops and a break in Robertstown for a sambo & coffee from the shop there. About 5h 45m "moving" time. There are a coupe of gates you will need to lift the bike over but other than that, once the ground is hard, it is an enjoyable trip.

Different story when the ground is soft. I went out to Hazelhatch the week before Christmas and has to stop a few times to "de-mud" the bike on the Adamstown to Hazlehatch leg. Tough, tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Thargor wrote: »
    I want to take a train 60-70 km out or thereabouts and cycle back into Dublin someday all in one day along either the Grand or the Royal. Is this doable does anyone know? Do both canal routes slope downwards back into Dublin or flat at least? Trying to look on Google Maps is headwrecking and theres feck all info to be found apart from ancient Boards threads.

Don't forget you have the option of Monasterevin/Athy/Carlow train stations and back along the Barrow Navigation (Carlow-Athy) and Barrow leg of the Grand Canal to Lowtown/Robertstown, I only know the localish footpaths but I'm sure that the condition of the rest of them is no worse than on the Shannon leg of the Grand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Canal routes are flat by their very nature, but cycling through muddy grass and over wet tree routes is similarly slow and tiring. Much easier if it has been dry for a while, but that distance is very doable even in bad conditions. For the sections I've cycled, the only bit I'd actively avoid in bad weather would be deep sinking, which is currently marked as unsuitable for bikes.

Train down followed by a leisurely canal spin home sounds like a nice mellow day out. Boards canal jaunt anyone?

Is it flat all the way to Galway then? Is there a Strava of the whole thing in one go anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Is it flat all the way to Galway then? Is there a Strava of the whole thing in one go anywhere?

The whole idea about canals are that they are level, the only rise or drops would be at a lock. Ie. Rise 2/3 meters or drop 2/3 meters.
    I cycle them and boat on them.

I thought you could do anything with a canal if you used enough locks, doesn't the Panama canal or one of them go over mountains? I was picturing it rising towards Athlone and then sloping down towards Galway...

Seriously looking forward to doing this now...

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    Don't forget you have the option of Monasterevin/Athy/Carlow train stations and back along the Barrow Navigation (Carlow-Athy) and Barrow leg of the Grand Canal to Lowtown/Robertstown, I only know the localish footpaths but I'm sure that the condition of the rest of them is no worse than on the Shannon leg of the Grand.

:e careful now. I explored doing this option and not all the towpaths seem to be open to public. I know that is not how it should be but that seemed to be the case when I did the research.

Advertisement